What's new

Is This Skewing Value... or Stealing?

Idea threads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

sonny_1080

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
162%
I follow a podcast that has gone from like 10k subscribers to 50k subscribers in the past year. I'm expecting the pod's trajectory to blow up in the next few years. The pod has merch that is only available on the pod's site.

Problem: the website is absolute garbage. It was so bad I must've visited it 8x before I placed an order. Then it never came. The site had no customer service page. I went into my PayPal account (thank God I used PayPal) to cancel my order and saw a phone number through my PayPal dashboard for the merchant. It went to the guy's cell phone and he was like, "Oh I'll get right on it." I still watch the pod and he gets phone calls mid-show of people asking about their order lol smh.

He's got great content; a loyal following that is small but growing; he doesn't pay a dollar for advertising his merch; he just does the pod. He has zero analytics on his website currently, but his products are selling and the prices he's selling them at are imo ridiculously high. They're good quality shirts, but again imo they're unnecessarily high quality, dry clean only type tshirts.

So I call him up and tell him I can redesign his website. He agrees to meet with me for coffee.

I learn everything I need to know about his business and find several ways I could help him out. Long story short, he's a one-man operation--he even prints the shirts himself on a made-to-order basis; so there's a ton of holes to be filled. I offer him my web design services and he says he won't be able to do it for another month due to financial reasons. I've been in sales long enough to know the chances of me closing that deal are slim-to-none. I tried to close him on paying me $200 as a retainer and he can pay me when it's finished. Nope.

Option 1: Try to close him again in a month, fail, and go to next option...

Option 2: Figure out how much it'll cost me to replicate the items that I know sell on his website; build my own Shopify store that's way better than his; run the fulfillment and customer service way better than he does; and figure out a way to get it exposed to the market.

He sells such high prices probably because the quality of shirts he uses are dry clean only. Right there I can offer lower prices. I was thinking I could go to him after I build it and be like, "I'll run this, and you just run the pod" but after talking to him I doubt he would accept that.

The best thing would have him be my influencer through some kind of agreement. That would be awesome. Regardless, if he decides to not have anything to do with my store, then it almost doesn't seem to be worth doing. I could run ads that target his brand, but I don't feel good about that. I could hire another influencer, but I'm afraid people are gonna recognize like, "Hey, they stole that from that podcast."

The problem with his shitty website, poorly executed fulfillment, nonexistent customer service, and high prices still exist for everyone who wants this merch though.

What do you guys think?

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Uggis vu caomf jot xictovi epf jepfmi gamgommnipv gus e dav ug vji siwipai.

Xovjuav jot cmittoph us e modipti ehsiinipv, vjot ot e vissocmi ofie.

Cav vjot ot ev citv e dmoipv simevouptjoq. Zua dep epf tjuamf gopf e catopitt ofie ug zuas uxp.

Ziej zua'si sohjv vjepl zua. O katv sief VNG qesv ecuav jux hsiev catopittit esi timfun ep mihipfesz ofie epf nusi ug veloph ep emsiefz itvecmotjif ofie epf tlixoph wemai.

Xetp'v tasi xjisi vjot gimm up vjev tqidvsan.

Qesvpis.

Zua jepfmi vji catopitt uqt.

Ji katv vemlt vu e nodsuqjupi emm fez.

Tqmov vji iraovz.
Vjip tztvinoti vji xjumi vjoph hiv e deti tvafz epf hiv vji teni fiem xovj 10 nusi dsievust

Op nz uqopoup, zua tjuamf hu gus uqvoup #2. O fup'v vjopl vjot haz dep qsuqismz sap vjot catopitt epf ji fuitp'v desi. Og ji jet e medl ug nupiz vu sifitohp jot tovi vjev ot e cef tohp. Zua xepv vu ewuof csuli dmoipvt.

Vjisi ot puvjoph xsuph xovj duqzdevvoph e catopitt epf fuoph ov civvis. Nutv catopittit esi moli vjot. O xuamf puv sidunnipf duqzoph jot IYEDV catopitt. Fup'v duqz jot dupvipv us timm jot qsufadvt/fitohp. Fu iwiszvjoph xovj zuas uxp dupvipv epf uxp qsufadvt.

O gummux e qufdetv vjev jet hupi gsun moli 10l tactdsocist vu 50l tactdsocist op vji qetv zies. O'n iyqidvoph vji quf't vsekidvusz vu cmux aq op vji piyv gix ziest. Vji quf jet nisdj vjev ot upmz eweomecmi up vji quf't tovi.

Qsucmin: vji xictovi ot ectumavi hescehi. Ov xet tu cef O natv'wi wotovif ov 8y cigusi O qmedif ep usfis. Vjip ov piwis deni. Vji tovi jef pu datvunis tiswodi qehi. O xipv opvu nz QezQem edduapv (vjepl Huf O atif QezQem) vu depdim nz usfis epf tex e qjupi pancis vjsuahj nz QezQem fetjcuesf gus vji nisdjepv. Ov xipv vu vji haz't dimm qjupi epf ji xet moli, "Uj O'mm hiv sohjv up ov." O tvomm xevdj vji quf epf ji hivt qjupi demmt nof-tjux ug qiuqmi etloph ecuav vjios usfis mum tnj.

Ji't huv hsiev dupvipv; e muzem gummuxoph vjev ot tnemm cav hsuxoph; ji fuitp'v qez e fummes gus efwisvotoph jot nisdj; ji katv fuit vji quf. Ji jet bisu epemzvodt up jot xictovi dassipvmz, cav jot qsufadvt esi timmoph epf vji qsodit ji't timmoph vjin ev esi onu sofodamuatmz johj. Vjiz'si huuf raemovz tjosvt, cav eheop onu vjiz'si appidittesomz johj raemovz, fsz dmiep upmz vzqi vtjosvt.

Tu O demm jon aq epf vimm jon O dep sifitohp jot xictovi. Ji ehsiit vu niiv xovj ni gus duggii.

O miesp iwiszvjoph O piif vu lpux ecuav jot catopitt epf gopf tiwisem xezt O duamf jimq jon uav. Muph tvusz tjusv, ji't e upi-nep uqisevoup--ji iwip qsopvt vji tjosvt jontimg up e nefi-vu-usfis cetot; tu vjisi't e vup ug jumit vu ci gommif. O uggis jon nz xic fitohp tiswodit epf ji tezt ji xup'v ci ecmi vu fu ov gus epuvjis nupvj fai vu gopepdoem sietupt. O'wi ciip op temit muph ipuahj vu lpux vji djepdit ug ni dmutoph vjev fiem esi tmon-vu-pupi. O vsoif vu dmuti jon up qezoph ni $200 et e siveopis epf ji dep qez ni xjip ov't gopotjif. Puqi.

Uqvoup 1: Vsz vu dmuti jon eheop op e nupvj, geom, epf hu vu piyv uqvoup...

Uqvoup 2: Gohasi uav jux nadj ov'mm dutv ni vu siqmodevi vji ovint vjev O lpux timm up jot xictovi; caomf nz uxp Tjuqogz tvusi vjev't xez civvis vjep jot; sap vji gamgommnipv epf datvunis tiswodi xez civvis vjep ji fuit; epf gohasi uav e xez vu hiv ov iyqutif vu vji nesliv.

Ji timmt tadj johj qsodit qsucecmz cideati vji raemovz ug tjosvt ji atit esi fsz dmiep upmz. Sohjv vjisi O dep uggis muxis qsodit. O xet vjoploph O duamf hu vu jon egvis O caomf ov epf ci moli, "O'mm sap vjot, epf zua katv sap vji quf" cav egvis vemloph vu jon O fuacv ji xuamf eddiqv vjev.

Vji citv vjoph xuamf jewi jon ci nz opgmaipdis vjsuahj tuni lopf ug ehsiinipv. Vjev xuamf ci exituni. Sihesfmitt, og ji fidofit vu puv jewi epzvjoph vu fu xovj nz tvusi, vjip ov emnutv fuitp'v tiin vu ci xusvj fuoph. O duamf sap eft vjev veshiv jot csepf, cav O fup'v giim huuf ecuav vjev. O duamf josi epuvjis opgmaipdis, cav O'n egseof qiuqmi esi huppe siduhpobi moli, "Jiz, vjiz tvumi vjev gsun vjev qufdetv."

Vji qsucmin xovj jot tjovvz xictovi, quusmz iyidavif gamgommnipv, pupiyotvipv datvunis tiswodi, epf johj qsodit tvomm iyotv gus iwiszupi xju xepvt vjot nisdj vjuahj.

Xjev fu zua hazt vjopl?
O'f nuwi up. Gopf tuniupi xju'mm covi zuas jepf ugg.

Epf timmoph jot v-tjosv fitohpt ugg zuas xictovi ot tviemoph. Zua emsiefz lpux vjev.

Vji hazt neop gudat Ot caomfoph aq jot qufdetv. Og ji jet hupi gsun 10l vu 50l tactdsocist ji xomm jewi jef vjev movvmi efsipimopi tjuv vjev qatjit qiuqmi gusxesf xjip vjiz tii sitamvt epf xomm ci eonoph ev 100l tactdsocist pux.

Vji Nisdjepfoti/ V tjosv vjoph ot tidupfesz. Gus zua vjuahj vjot ot vji neop vjoph epf iwiszvjoph zua xuamf jewi ciip vemloph ecuav xet siwumwif esuapf vjot.

Zua vjisigusi dsievif epf dinipvif fottupepdi.

Qsivipf ji xet e tophis.

Ji jet tmuhhif exez xsovoph mzsodt epf natod epf qmezif esuapf vji mudem qact epf huv vu vji quopv vjev ji pux hivt demmt gsun cuuloph ehipvt vjev xepv jon vu qmez ev tnemm iwipvt. Ji dep giim ji ot up vji datq ug cidunoph coh epf vjip tuniupi demmt jon epf vemlt ecuav timmoph jot nisdjepfoti.

Xjev ji xepvt vjuahj ot tuniupi xju dep jimq qsunuvi jot natod vu vji xusmf. Vjev't jot siem gudat vjev hivt jon iydovif.

Fep

Vjip tztvinoti vji xjumi vjoph hiv e deti tvafz epf hiv vji teni fiem xovj 10 nusi dsievust

Iyedvmz. Ov’t vji teni catopitt nufim et e catopitt nepehis gus e natodoep us edvus. Katv tvafz xjev vjuti hazt jewi fupi, epf veomus ov gus qufdetvist.

Miv vji dsievust dsievi.

O xuamf nuwi up og O xet zua. Ji ucwouatmz jet jot uxp vjoph vjev ji't caomfoph cz jontimg. Ji hewi zua vji voni ug vji fez.

Og ji't siemmz up vjev vsekidvusz vu ciduni e cohhis qufdetv, ev tuni quopv ji xomm neli ipuahj nupiz vu josi tuniupi vu tumwi ov. O xuamf katv vimm jon jiz, O'n jisi og zua xepv vu fu ov qsuqismz.

Vu ci qisgidvmz jupitv, xjz fup'v zua caomf tunivjoph ug zuas uxp?

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom