What's new

Journey from School -> Music -> Fastlane & back again

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

GoalDigger

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
I guess you guys want to know what I mean by this, right?

Well let me explain my story up until now to shed a little light on that. I started off as one of those suckers who initially bought into the 9-5 dream after high school. I had it all planned out. I was going to be coming out of school making 6 figures, have a nice place, and be happy working for the rest of my life while abusing the phrase TGIF!!!

Fortunately I turned my thought process around within a year of college. I found myself spending most of my free time (which wasn’t much) making songs with GarageBand on my friend’s macbook. My friends starting digging the tracks and ideas began to run through my head about taking my music seriously. I had read success stories of guys close to my age like Avicii and Alesso, and I was motivated! So I bought myself the essentials for making music on my own computer. Over the next couple of years I tinkered on the software making what felt like minimal progress. My problem was that I kept getting annoyed with the process of learning how to use everything. I JUST WANTED TO MAKE MUSIC!!!

Meanwhile, I still never let go of school. It was too hard for me to pass up a fall-back that guaranteed 6 figures when I was done! To be honest I would like to see how many people would actually give that up? Unfortunately my grades suffered and I was continually on the brink of failing classes. My stress was at an all time high and I realized that I needed to make a change and make it fast!

At this point I was 4 years in with only 2 years left for my ‘doctorate’. Although, this is when my music was starting to pick up and things were finally clicking. So I had two options. I could either stick it out and finish up my time in school, or I could give it all up to pursue my dream alongside thousands of other DJ/producer hopefuls.

Luckily this was also the same time that my friend had told me to read TMF! Holy shit was it life changing!!! It helped me realize that it would be stupid to turn my passion into a sole source of money. Especially when you consider the fact that I had enough in student loans to buy an Aston Martin! There were numerous days that I got frustrated with my music and wanted to give it up forever! I don’t think that I could make quality music knowing that if it didn’t sell I wouldn’t be eating for a week :(

Now I am in my 5th year and starting a new path. No, I didn’t give up school and I don’t need to. There have been plenty of successful businesses built by students in their dorm rooms. I am also not giving up my dream of becoming a successful DJ/producer. However, I have halted my music producing and DJing for the time being. I realize that building a business while in school is no easy feat. So I will pick this back up once I have built enough income to retire and spend my free time on what I love!

I am pumped to be a part of this awesome community! I will be sharing stories of my own failures very soon. I know it’s not the most exciting aspect of being an entrepreneur, but I think that it will help newbies (like myself) learn from the processes of TAKING ACTION!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom