The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kindle publishing

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Dear Friends,

After almost a year of writing, I finally released my first fiction.

How do you advertise your publications? I am new to this field,

I would like to target a lot of readers, what other platforms do you use for publishing?

Thanks!

Michal

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Crossroads

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 31, 2016
Dear Friends,

I would like to target a lot of readers, what other platforms do you use for publishing?

Thanks!

Michal
Hi, Michal, and congratulations! I was going to respond to your post a few days ago but couldn't find your post again, so sorry for the delay. I found it again today after searching 'non-fiction writing'...

A few days ago, I found a guy who seems to understand how to sell both fiction and non-fiction really well. He has a free ebook on Kindle. So far, what he says makes sense. You may find something useful there. Best wishes to you!

His ebook:

Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1) Kindle Edition
by Nick Stephenson

Direct Link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PCKIJ4C/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

hth ;)

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hi, Michal, and congratulations! I was going to respond to your post a few days ago but couldn't find your post again, so sorry for the delay. I found it again today after searching 'non-fiction writing'...

A few days ago, I found a guy who seems to understand how to sell both fiction and non-fiction well. He has a free ebook on Kindle. So far, what he says makes sense. You may find something useful there. Best wishes to you!

His ebook:

Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1) Kindle Edition
by Nick Stephenson

Direct Link:

hth ;)

Awesome!! Just grabbed that one as well! Just started writing up my first book, never done one before nor do I know how to advertise a e-book!

Crossroads

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 31, 2016
Awesome!! Just grabbed that one as well! Just started writing up my first book, never done one before nor do I know how to advertise a e-book!
Well, congrats to you as well, @jpanarra... Fiction, non-fiction? Excited to find other budding writers here! (Well, I wrote and sold 2 ebooks a while back but clueless on how to market them.) So I'd say I'm starting over... ;)

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Well, congrats to you as well, @jpanarra... Fiction, non-fiction? Excited to find other budding writers here! (Well, I wrote and sold 2 ebooks a while back but clueless on how to market them.) So I'd say I'm starting over... ;)
Non-fiction, I'm an deaf individual that has overcome a number of challenges, its a kinda about the mindset i have towards life and how to apply it...

nitop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Dec 21, 2015
Dear Friends,

Thanks!

Michal

here;s how u start marketing your book :
join every damn facebook group on fiction books , and give them your free book , and ask them to reviewyour book ....
optimize your book on kindle for maximum reach ..

if i were u, i'd hold a product launch for my book and get as many sales as possible in a short amount of time, and try to many reviews quickly.. that way, amazon starts to rank you for key keywords ..

hope that helps..

nitop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Dec 21, 2015
Dear Friends,

Thanks!

Michal

here;s how u start marketing your book :
join every damn facebook group on fiction books , and give them your free book , and ask them to reviewyour book ....
optimize your book on kindle for maximum reach ..

if i were u, i'd hold a product launch for my book and get as many sales as possible in a short amount of time, and try to many reviews quickly.. that way, amazon starts to rank you for key keywords ..

hope that helps..

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Thank you @nitop @Crossroads @jpanarra !

I also added my books to Goodreads list,

I will try to get as many reviews on Amazon as possible.

In the meantime I started to write the sequel.

I will post my progress here, feel to post yours too!

Congrats!! Just finished reading the book recommended by @Crossroads and the content in that book makes a lot of sense and its a really short light read, I'm going to break my main book down and nitpick on topics which I can expand on and establish a reader base and email list.

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle

A few days ago, I found a guy who seems to understand how to sell both fiction and non-fiction really well. He has a free ebook on Kindle. So far, what he says makes sense. You may find something useful there. Best wishes to you!

His ebook:

by Nick Stephenson

Direct Link:

hth ;)

hth,

Thank you so much for telling us about Nick Stephenson's book, "Reader Magnets." I've just started reading it and it's super helpful. I appreciate you telling us about it! :)

Crossroads

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 31, 2016
After a couple of days out there on Amazon I have my first sale :))

I'm curious about the feedback, this is my first book and first Kindle edition,

I will keep you posted!
Awesome, and congrats! Yes, do keep us posted! :)

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

I will keep you posted!
Congrats!! Looking forward to your future posts!!

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Happy Friday!

I signed up to a big fiction writers group on Facebook and they gave me a lot of advice. Here it is:

1. They said to lower my price and go with a trend (I'm new out there). I found a KDP analysis tool and it gave me the idea what my price tag should be.
2. They said to run a promo on GoodReads.com. I'm still building my ad campaign but I already love them. On Amazon you need to invest at least $100 to start a campaign. On GR there is no minimum. You can invest per day/week and see how it goes.
3. I am now able to offer paperback edition without ANY investment upfront. Amazon offers print on demand and they reduce your profit by the cost of printing after each sale.
4. If you don't have a cover design, you can use Amazon tool. Plenty of variants + you can upload your own pictures (Creative Commons come in handy!).
5. Amazon does not allow to offer a free copy in exchange of review. Don't worry- you can run a free promo on Amazon (5 days per one enrollment period).
6. Use KEYWORDS! Yes, a lot of people tend to ignore that but this is one of the most efficient, free tools to help you get customers. Use this link to find the Amazon keyword ideas -> https://www.scientificseller.com/. You can create a free account, but if you need more searches it is not so expensive.

That is all I have for today. Today I start my first giveaway on Kindle, so if you are a reader pls PM me and I will give you the link to my book. I don't want to break the rules of this forum. Cheers!

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Happy Friday!

I signed up to a big fiction writers group on Facebook and they gave me a lot of advice. Here it is:

1. They said to lower my price and go with a trend (I'm new out there). I found a KDP analysis tool and it gave me the idea what my price tag should be.
2. They said to run a promo on GoodReads.com. I'm still building my ad campaign but I already love them. On Amazon you need to invest at least $100 to start a campaign. On GR there is no minimum. You can invest per day/week and see how it goes.
3. I am now able to offer paperback edition without ANY investment upfront. Amazon offers print on demand and they reduce your profit by the cost of printing after each sale.
4. If you don't have a cover design, you can use Amazon tool. Plenty of variants + you can upload your own pictures (Creative Commons come in handy!).
5. Amazon does not allow to offer a free copy in exchange of review. Don't worry- you can run a free promo on Amazon (5 days per one enrollment period).
6. Use KEYWORDS! Yes, a lot of people tend to ignore that but this is one of the most efficient, free tools to help you get customers. Use this link to find the Amazon keyword ideas -> https://www.scientificseller.com/. You can create a free account, but if you need more searches it is not so expensive.

That is all I have for today. Today I start my first giveaway on Kindle, so if you are a reader pls PM me and I will give you the link to my book. I don't want to break the rules of this forum. Cheers!

Great info! I'll def start digging into keywords and the ad campaigns for a book.

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 18, 2014
Assuming your book doesn't have any visibility because it's in a tough category: Your 1st book should stay at 99c, be enrolled in KDP select and boosted with ads occasionally when there's slippage. Then ensure you have a proper lead capture in place to build your email list. You'll be making more money off the sequels than anything else, so right now, your goal is more reads, more email captures, more reviews and repeat.

If your book already has visibility, then you can play around with the pricing at 2.99 / 3.99.

Also you can distribute your books for free in exchange for a review. Amazon banned that practice for physical products, not ebooks.

Lastly, you should not be creating your own covers when you have no photoshop skills. Paying someone on fiverr is a better bet. The covers are a huge factor in the % conversion to a sale, with the others being your title, reviews and blurb copy.

Happy Friday!

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Thank you for your valuable feedback @Omni ! I decided to run a free promo for 5 days, then I will reduce my price to $0.99.

Assuming your book doesn't have any visibility because it's in a tough category: Your 1st book should stay at 99c, be enrolled in KDP select and boosted with ads occasionally when there's slippage. Then ensure you have a proper lead capture in place to build your email list. You'll be making more money off the sequels than anything else, so right now, your goal is more reads, more email captures, more reviews and repeat.

If your book already has visibility, then you can play around with the pricing at 2.99 / 3.99.

Also you can distribute your books for free in exchange for a review. Amazon banned that practice for physical products, not ebooks.

Lastly, you should not be creating your own covers when you have no photoshop skills. Paying someone on fiverr is a better bet. The covers are a huge factor in the % conversion to a sale, with the others being your title, reviews and blurb copy.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I'm pretty sure these people mean well, but I'd be very cautious listening to their advice.

Generally speaking if it's fiction then it's indeed a good idea to lower the price, but going with the trends isn't always going to be a good idea. A lot of people leave tons of money on the table because they don't test higher prices. As for the KDP tool, forget about it. It's useless.

People from GoodReads are some of the worst readers and customers. They will criticize you to no end, especially as a self-published author. I consider this site a huge waste of time and never heard of anyone who's had any success with it.

Are you talking about the new KDP paperback program? If so, I'm not sure why you'd use it. Use Createspace instead. It's Amazon's company, too and they have a wider reach.

Oh man, if you want to use Amazon's tool for your book cover, you might as well give up now. Self-published authors are getting more and more professional. How likely do you think you'll be able to compete with your DIY cover with people who invest in professional cover design? It doesn't even have to be that expensive; I pay $50 for every cover and people love my covers. Don't forget that you're also competing with traditional publishing companies. They don't use Amazon's tool, either.

Like @Omni said, it's BS. As for KDP Select and free promo days, KDP Select isn't what it used to be. In some genres you'd make much more (or the same amount, but diversified over a few platforms) by going wide.

I've never paid much attention to keywords and my books still sell very well.

Maybe it applies more to fiction, but still, what's MUCH more important is being visible on the bestseller lists and actually getting sales, not tweaking your keywords.

All in all, be careful listening to advice from people in this industry because you'll usually either get advice from misinformed artists without business sense (no disrespect, just stating the facts) or from shady Internet marketers who have little to no experience with writing and books in general.

The best way to learn from others is to find consistent bestselling authors in your genre and follow their practices. Once you get good at it, you'll be able to set trends yourself.

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle
I'm pretty sure these people mean well, but I'd be very cautious listening to their advice.

Generally speaking if it's fiction then it's indeed a good idea to lower the price, but going with the trends isn't always going to be a good idea. A lot of people leave tons of money on the table because they don't test higher prices. As for the KDP tool, forget about it. It's useless.

People from GoodReads are some of the worst readers and customers. They will criticize you to no end, especially as a self-published author. I consider this site a huge waste of time and never heard of anyone who's had any success with it.

Are you talking about the new KDP paperback program? If so, I'm not sure why you'd use it. Use Createspace instead. It's Amazon's company, too and they have a wider reach.

Oh man, if you want to use Amazon's tool for your book cover, you might as well give up now. Self-published authors are getting more and more professional. How likely do you think you'll be able to compete with your DIY cover with people who invest in professional cover design? It doesn't even have to be that expensive; I pay $50 for every cover and people love my covers. Don't forget that you're also competing with traditional publishing companies. They don't use Amazon's tool, either.

Like @Omni said, it's BS. As for KDP Select and free promo days, KDP Select isn't what it used to be. In some genres you'd make much more (or the same amount, but diversified over a few platforms) by going wide.

I've never paid much attention to keywords and my books still sell very well.

Maybe it applies more to fiction, but still, what's MUCH more important is being visible on the bestseller lists and actually getting sales, not tweaking your keywords.

All in all, be careful listening to advice from people in this industry because you'll usually either get advice from misinformed artists without business sense (no disrespect, just stating the facts) or from shady Internet marketers who have little to no experience with writing and books in general.

The best way to learn from others is to find consistent bestselling authors in your genre and follow their practices. Once you get good at it, you'll be able to set trends yourself.

I'd also like to thank you, @MTF. I am a new author and would probably have followed some of the earlier advice. I appreciate the points you made, and I can see they come from a place of experience. I will definitely put them to work today.

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle

I will keep you posted!

I just want to congratulate you on your first sale!!! That's awesome :) Your post was a couple of weeks ago, so I wanted to check in and ask if your success has continued. Please share your book's title if that's permitted. No link necessary, but I'd like to encourage your efforts.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I personally think it depends on the book. I have one that just happens to be a popular niche and I never even advertised it, or did anything with it. People just found it, because they were looking for it, and word of mouth. So knowing I have many different books, usually the ones who are successful are the ones which people are looking for, they can relate and see themselves in the book, and solve their problem.
I do see they're beta testing KDP publish by demand, and I was selected, but I guess not everyone is seeing it, or knows about it yet. I probably will experiment with it, and I guess they're getting rid of create space, so those using it will have to reformat your books, and do something different.

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle

Hi Omni,

Can you clarify two things you mentioned in your post?

1. You wrote "Then ensure you have a proper lead capture in place to build your email list." How do you capture leads when people are downloading the Kindle book from Amazon...or is there another way you suggest lead capture to build an email list?

2. Where you wrote "you can distribute your books for free in exchange for a review." How do you distribute them? Would I share the ebook to friends and people I know personally, or is there some other way?

Thanks!

Jeff

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 18, 2014
Hi Omni,

Can you clarify two things you mentioned in your post?

1. You wrote "Then ensure you have a proper lead capture in place to build your email list." How do you capture leads when people are downloading the Kindle book from Amazon...or is there another way you suggest lead capture to build an email list?

2. Where you wrote "you can distribute your books for free in exchange for a review." How do you distribute them? Would I share the ebook to friends and people I know personally, or is there some other way?

Thanks!

Jeff
You can offer a free book, short, bonus scene, alt ending, etc in your front matter. Direct them to your site and have them enter their email to receive it.

You can ask fam and friends. I ask a portion of my existing email list. There are services but I haven't used any.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle
You can offer a free book, short, bonus scene, alt ending, etc in your front matter. Direct them to your site and have them enter their email to receive it.

You can ask fam and friends. I ask a portion of my existing email list. There are services but I haven't used any.

Now I'm reminded of that advice from the "Reader Magnets" book. Give away the first book for free (or for $.99 as you suggest) and use that to direct people to another book - and in that process get their email address. That is such a smart idea, because you get goodwill be giving away a free book, and their email address makes it easier for you to request a review.

Thank you so much for the quick reply, really appreciate it.

Jeff

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle

Looks like KDP will not allow a $.99 price if you're in the 70% royalty program. The only way to get that is to change to the 35% royalty program. It's easy enough to change...just want to see if you recommend the $.99 to start off. I have no sales yet, and was going to start at $4.99 for this book - but you have more experience, so I value your advice.

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 18, 2014
Looks like KDP will not allow a $.99 price if you're in the 70% royalty program. The only way to get that is to change to the 35% royalty program. It's easy enough to change...just want to see if you recommend the $.99 to start off. I have no sales yet, and was going to start at $4.99 for this book - but you have more experience, so I value your advice.

My advice is geared toward fiction and a series book strategy where you can price the first book for free or 99c (at 35% royalty) and make your money on the back end. KDP enrollment is advantageous also for fiction since it'll boost your visibility with each borrow and feels frictionless for the reader. You'll give up control in return for quicker growth.

If it's non-fiction, my expertise should be discontinued and MTF's advice much more applicable.

What I'm saying is I can't help with specifics because: I have no idea what your circumstances are, what your genre is, whether you're looking for this book to make money by next week, whether you have more books coming in the pipeline, whether you're looking for maximum readers irrespective of payback, etc.

Jeffrey Luke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Sep 27, 2016
Seattle
My advice is geared toward fiction and a series book strategy where you can price the first book for free or 99c (at 35% royalty) and make your money on the back end. KDP enrollment is advantageous also for fiction since it'll boost your visibility with each borrow and feels frictionless for the reader. You'll give up control in return for quicker growth.

If it's non-fiction, my expertise should be discontinued and MTF's advice much more applicable.

What I'm saying is I can't help with specifics because: I have no idea what your circumstances are, what your genre is, whether you're looking for this book to make money by next week, whether you have more books coming in the pipeline, whether you're looking for maximum readers irrespective of payback, etc.

Hi, I just wanted to thank you for your advice yesterday. I had not realized that your advice was primarily for fiction. My book is photo instruction, so it's a bit different, but I still learned a lot from what you shared.

1. I added a link on the inside front & back covers so people could get a free photo book (it's for sale on Amazon right now for $9.99 and they just enter their email to receive it.

2. Instead of charging $.99 for the book, I'm putting it at $4.99. I know it's still pretty inexpensive, but I remember MTF saying that people often leave money on the table by not charging enough.

3. I haven't yet enrolled in Kindle Select because I think it might be useful to try selling my book on my website or through other means.

Again, just thanking you for your input. I hadn't realized the importance of getting an email address, and I like building up goodwill in the process by giving people a free ebook.

Jeff

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.