The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Legal questions regards my app idea

Idea threads

Lee Hyde

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jun 24, 2015
Derby, Uk
Hi everyone,

Surprise surprise another new kid on the block with an idea for an app.. bla bla

Anyway, I have an idea for a social media app i would like to get developed. Now I'm not learning programming and doing it myself so should i go for a proper company or a freelancer?

Also, if i share my idea with a company or freelancer, what could stop them from saying no and then stealing the idea? Can you even patent app ideas?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lee Hyde

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jun 24, 2015
Derby, Uk
Last edited by a moderator:

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Yeah hence why I'm asking the questions to carry out the execution.. cheers for the link, though it wasn't entirely what i was asking.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
He answered all your questions. He just forgot to airplane feed you the spoon.
Just so you know, "asking the questions" is not carrying out anything, it's just pretending with yourself.
Anyway, I have an idea for a social media app i would like to get developed. Now I'm not learning programming and doing it myself so should i go for a proper company or a freelancer?
What do you think the difference is? What is not "proper" about a freelancer? LMTFY! Bottom line, research both and decide what makes more sense for you.
I'll let you know a little secret: a top freelancer is probably better, but it's gonna cost you a boatload of cash. A shop which crunches out apps like they're candies will be cheaper, but you'll get a generic product. The secret being, of course, that you get what you pay for.
Also, if i share my idea with a company or freelancer, what could stop them from saying no and then stealing the idea?
LMGTFY.
Besides, what is going to stop me from seeing your app an hour after you publish it and make a better prototype in a night? You see how useless worrying about this is?
Can you even patent app ideas?
LOL, you want to patent an idea? LMGTFY.*

* Fun fact: google autocomplete suggested it as a first thing when I typed "can I patent". It seems it's not a rare thought.

Lee Hyde

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jun 24, 2015
Derby, Uk
Cheers for the answers.

I'll look past the rudeness and arrogance though.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I'm making an app with full details on the inside, anyone can steal my idea but in reality nobody will steal your idea as its not their passion or their niche.

Lee Hyde

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jun 24, 2015
Derby, Uk
I'm making an app with full details on the inside, anyone can steal my idea but in reality nobody will steal your idea as its not their passion or their niche.
Never thought of it like that! Thanks :)

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
Unless there is a low barrier to entry. If it's easy to copy and you share your success there are plenty who would try to copy you. Based on the complexity of what you are working on though, I don't see that happening to you. But if you posted about something you started importing and selling on Amazon or eBay with great success, I'm pretty sure someone would try to steal it.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Unless there is a low barrier to entry

Well yeah ecommerce is a little different, you can copy and get infront of the same customers on Amazon.com within weeks.

Software is a totally different ballgame, but yeah if its a low barrier to entry then dont share it until it's made.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Umm if you go to a company which develops apps, I believe you sign an NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement), this is the general practice from what I know of. Even if you hire a freelancer, Lee Hyde, you'll still make them sign an NDA.

95% of them sign without any questions or problems, so you shouldn't have any stress on your part about your idea being stolen.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you are looking for a legal opinion (per your headline) nobody on the forum (with the exception of licensed attorneys should they decide to) can give you one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.