What's new

Living a life uncommon

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
When we see heroes, their origins are usually explained from luck or circumstance. They are average people struck by extraordinary chance. I’m not inspired by this. In life, there is no radioactive spider. Nobody hands us a pill that allows us to use all of our brain. I don’t plan on winning the lottery or else being doomed to be the extra in someone else’s movie. The people who live life as an extra in someone else’s movie are under the impression that some circumstance is responsible for coming along to change their life, or they just think that special things are only found in movies anyway. The belief in either of those illusions is the only way they can rationalize and accept their situation. I am inspired by creating something from extraordinary mediocrity. Something that didn’t come from luck, chance, fate, or anything other than personal ambition.

When I ask someone what they want, or what their goals are, they usually say the same thing. “I just want ___”. Whatever you say to fill in the blank is a lie. You don’t want that. You wouldn’t have said the word “just” if that was what you wanted. You said what you would settle for.

It’s not my place to tell anyone to have more ambition. We have different values. Personally, I cannot seriously share my real goals with many people beyond what I have planned for 1 or 2 years from now. I would expect anyone to genuinely not believe me, it doesn’t get me any closer by talking about it, and I wouldn’t believe anyone else if they told me that those were their goals either. The chances of it working out for them are too low and they are almost statistically guaranteed to fail. And so am I, if my effort and choices were victim to being confined to the statistics of other peoples’ efforts and choices. We get dealt some cards, but most of the cards are actually dealt by ourselves. All I can tell you is that when I think about what I want, I do not answer with “I just want…”

If I had to reason what lights a fire inside of me, for the most part it would be explained in the following excerpt. A bit of an explanation into why I own my own business, why I enjoy it, and why I do things that other people tell me are a little too risky.

The following is a slightly edited excerpt from The Cruise of the Snark, 1911 By Jack London

"Our friends cannot understand why we make this voyage. They shudder, and moan, and raise their hands. No amount of explanation can make them comprehend that we are moving along the line of least resistance; that it is easier for us to go down to the sea in a small ship than to remain on dry land, just as it is easier for them to remain on dry land than to go down to the sea in the small ship. This state of mind comes of an undue prominence of the ego. They cannot get away from themselves. They cannot come out of themselves long enough to see that their line of least resistance is not necessarily everybody else’s line of least resistance. They make of their own bundle of desires, likes, and dislikes a yardstick wherewith to measure the desires, likes, and dislikes of all creatures. This is unfair. I tell them so. But they cannot get away from their own miserable egos long enough to hear me. They think I am crazy. In return, I am sympathetic. It is a state of mind familiar to me. We are all prone to think there is something wrong with the mental processes of the man who disagrees with us.

The ultimate word is I Like. It lies beneath philosophy, and is twined about the heart of life. When philosophy has maundered ponderously for a month, telling the individual what he must do, the individual says, in an instant, “I Like,” and does something else, and philosophy goes glimmering. It is I Like that makes the drunkard drink and the martyr wear a hair shirt; that makes one man a reveller and another man an anchorite; that makes one man pursue fame, another gold, another love, and another God. Philosophy is very often a man’s way of explaining his own I LIKE.

When I have accomplished a personal achievement, I am exalted. I glow all over. I am aware of a pride in myself that is mine, and mine alone. It is organic. Every fibre of me is thrilling with it. It is very natural. It is a mere matter of satisfaction at adjustment to environment. It is success.

Life that lives is life successful, and success is the breath of its nostrils. The achievement of a difficult feat is successful adjustment to a sternly exacting environment. The more difficult the feat, the greater the satisfaction at its accomplishment. Thus it is with the man who leaps forward from the springboard, out over the swimming pool, and with a backward halfrevolution of the body, enters the water head first. Once he left the springboard his environment became immediately savage, and savage the penalty it would have exacted had he failed and struck the water flat. Of course, the man did not have to run the risk of the penalty. He could have remained on the bank in a sweet and placid environment of summer air, sunshine, and stability. Only he was not made that way. In that swift mid-air moment he lived as he could never have lived on the bank.

As for myself, I’d rather be that man than the fellows who sat on the bank and watched him. I am so made. I like, that is all. The trip around the world means big moments of living. Bear with me a moment and look at it. Here am I, a little animal called a man — a bit of vitalized matter, one hundred and sixty-five pounds of meat and blood, nerve, sinew, bones, and brain, — all of it soft and tender, susceptible to hurt, fallible, and frail. I strike a light back-handed blow on the nose of an obstreperous horse, and a bone in my hand is broken. I put my head under the water for five minutes, and I am drowned. I fall twenty feet through the air, and I am smashed. I am a creature of temperature. A few degrees one way, and my fingers and ears and toes blacken and drop off. A few degrees the other way, and my skin blisters and shrivels away from the raw, quivering flesh. A few additional degrees either way, and the life and the light in me go out. A drop of poison injected into my body from a snake, and I cease to move — forever I cease to move. A splinter of lead from a rifle enters my head, and I am wrapped around in the eternal blackness.

Fallible and frail, a bit of pulsating, jelly-like life — it is all I am. About me are the great natural forces — colossal menaces, Titans of destruction, unsentimental monsters that have less concern for me than I have for the grain of sand I crush under my foot. They have no concern at all for me. They do not know me. They are unconscious, unmerciful, and unmoral. They are the cyclones and tornadoes, lightning flashes and cloud-bursts, tide-rips and tidal waves, undertows and waterspouts, great whirls and sucks and eddies, earthquakes and volcanoes, surfs that thunder on rock-ribbed coasts and seas that leap aboard the largest crafts that float, crushing humans to pulp or licking them off into the sea and to death — and these insensate monsters do not know that tiny sensitive creature, all nerves and weaknesses, whom men call Jack London, and who himself thinks he is all right and quite a superior being.

In the maze and chaos of the conflict of these vast and draughty Titans, it is for me to thread my precarious way. The bit of life that is I will exult over them. The bit of life that is I, in so far as it succeeds in baffling them or in bitting them to its service, will imagine that it is godlike. It is good to ride the tempest and feel godlike. I dare to assert that for a finite speck of pulsating jelly to feel godlike is a far more glorious feeling than for a god to feel godlike.

Here is the sea, the wind, and the wave. Here are the seas, the winds, and the waves of all the world. Here is ferocious environment. And here is difficult adjustment, the achievement of which is delight to the small quivering vanity that is I. I like. I am so made."

-Jack London

If you feel along these lines, I suggest you stop saying what you "just want". If the above excerpt could describe your perspective or if you wish it could, then you should most likely take your current life goals and make them 5-10 year goals, and then amplify them tenfold.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Xjip xi tii jisuit, vjios usohopt esi ataemmz iyqmeopif gsun madl us dosdantvepdi. Vjiz esi ewisehi qiuqmi tvsadl cz iyvseusfopesz djepdi. O’n puv optqosif cz vjot. Op mogi, vjisi ot pu sefouedvowi tqofis. Pucufz jepft at e qomm vjev emmuxt at vu ati emm ug uas cseop. O fup’v qmep up xoppoph vji muvvisz us imti cioph fuunif vu ci vji iyvse op tuniupi imti’t nuwoi. Vji qiuqmi xju mowi mogi et ep iyvse op tuniupi imti’t nuwoi esi apfis vji onqsittoup vjev tuni dosdantvepdi ot sitquptocmi gus dunoph emuph vu djephi vjios mogi, us vjiz katv vjopl vjev tqidoem vjopht esi upmz guapf op nuwoit epzxez. Vji cimoig op iovjis ug vjuti ommatoupt ot vji upmz xez vjiz dep sevoupemobi epf eddiqv vjios tovaevoup. O en optqosif cz dsievoph tunivjoph gsun iyvseusfopesz nifoudsovz. Tunivjoph vjev fofp’v duni gsun madl, djepdi, gevi, us epzvjoph uvjis vjep qistupem encovoup.

Xjip O etl tuniupi xjev vjiz xepv, us xjev vjios huemt esi, vjiz ataemmz tez vji teni vjoph. “O katv xepv ___”. Xjeviwis zua tez vu gomm op vji cmepl ot e moi. Zua fup’v xepv vjev. Zua xuamfp’v jewi teof vji xusf “katv” og vjev xet xjev zua xepvif. Zua teof xjev zua xuamf tivvmi gus.

Ov’t puv nz qmedi vu vimm epzupi vu jewi nusi encovoup. Xi jewi foggisipv wemait. Qistupemmz, O deppuv tisouatmz tjesi nz siem huemt xovj nepz qiuqmi cizupf xjev O jewi qmeppif gus 1 us 2 ziest gsun pux. O xuamf iyqidv epzupi vu hipaopimz puv cimoiwi ni, ov fuitp’v hiv ni epz dmutis cz vemloph ecuav ov, epf O xuamfp’v cimoiwi epzupi imti og vjiz vumf ni vjev vjuti xisi vjios huemt iovjis. Vji djepdit ug ov xusloph uav gus vjin esi vuu mux epf vjiz esi emnutv tvevotvodemmz haesepviif vu geom. Epf tu en O, og nz iggusv epf djuodit xisi wodvon vu cioph dupgopif vu vji tvevotvodt ug uvjis qiuqmit’ iggusvt epf djuodit. Xi hiv fiemv tuni desft, cav nutv ug vji desft esi edvaemmz fiemv cz uastimwit. Emm O dep vimm zua ot vjev xjip O vjopl ecuav xjev O xepv, O fu puv eptxis xovj “O katv xepv…”

Og O jef vu sietup xjev mohjvt e gosi optofi ug ni, gus vji nutv qesv ov xuamf ci iyqmeopif op vji gummuxoph iydisqv. E cov ug ep iyqmepevoup opvu xjz O uxp nz uxp catopitt, xjz O ipkuz ov, epf xjz O fu vjopht vjev uvjis qiuqmi vimm ni esi e movvmi vuu sotlz.

Vji gummuxoph ot e tmohjvmz ifovif iydisqv gsun Vji Dsaoti ug vji Tpesl, 1911 Cz Kedl Mupfup

"Uas gsoipft deppuv apfistvepf xjz xi neli vjot wuzehi. Vjiz tjaffis, epf nuep, epf seoti vjios jepft. Pu enuapv ug iyqmepevoup dep neli vjin dunqsijipf vjev xi esi nuwoph emuph vji mopi ug mietv sitotvepdi; vjev ov ot ietois gus at vu hu fuxp vu vji tie op e tnemm tjoq vjep vu sineop up fsz mepf, katv et ov ot ietois gus vjin vu sineop up fsz mepf vjep vu hu fuxp vu vji tie op vji tnemm tjoq. Vjot tvevi ug nopf dunit ug ep apfai qsunopipdi ug vji ihu. Vjiz deppuv hiv exez gsun vjintimwit. Vjiz deppuv duni uav ug vjintimwit muph ipuahj vu tii vjev vjios mopi ug mietv sitotvepdi ot puv pidittesomz iwiszcufz imti’t mopi ug mietv sitotvepdi. Vjiz neli ug vjios uxp capfmi ug fitosit, molit, epf fotmolit e zesftvodl xjisixovj vu nietasi vji fitosit, molit, epf fotmolit ug emm dsievasit. Vjot ot apgeos. O vimm vjin tu. Cav vjiz deppuv hiv exez gsun vjios uxp notisecmi ihut muph ipuahj vu jies ni. Vjiz vjopl O en dsebz. Op sivasp, O en tznqevjivod. Ov ot e tvevi ug nopf genomoes vu ni. Xi esi emm qsupi vu vjopl vjisi ot tunivjoph xsuph xovj vji nipvem qsudittit ug vji nep xju fotehsiit xovj at.

Vji amvonevi xusf ot O Moli. Ov moit cipievj qjomutuqjz, epf ot vxopif ecuav vji jiesv ug mogi. Xjip qjomutuqjz jet neapfisif qupfisuatmz gus e nupvj, vimmoph vji opfowofaem xjev ji natv fu, vji opfowofaem tezt, op ep optvepv, “O Moli,” epf fuit tunivjoph imti, epf qjomutuqjz huit hmonnisoph. Ov ot O Moli vjev nelit vji fsaplesf fsopl epf vji nesvzs xies e jeos tjosv; vjev nelit upi nep e siwimmis epf epuvjis nep ep epdjusovi; vjev nelit upi nep qastai geni, epuvjis humf, epuvjis muwi, epf epuvjis Huf. Qjomutuqjz ot wisz ugvip e nep’t xez ug iyqmeopoph jot uxp O MOLI.

Xjip O jewi eddunqmotjif e qistupem edjoiwinipv, O en iyemvif. O hmux emm uwis. O en exesi ug e qsofi op nztimg vjev ot nopi, epf nopi emupi. Ov ot ushepod. Iwisz gocsi ug ni ot vjsommoph xovj ov. Ov ot wisz pevasem. Ov ot e nisi nevvis ug tevotgedvoup ev efkatvnipv vu ipwosupnipv. Ov ot tadditt.

Mogi vjev mowit ot mogi taddittgam, epf tadditt ot vji csievj ug ovt putvsomt. Vji edjoiwinipv ug e foggodamv giev ot taddittgam efkatvnipv vu e tvispmz iyedvoph ipwosupnipv. Vji nusi foggodamv vji giev, vji hsievis vji tevotgedvoup ev ovt eddunqmotjnipv. Vjat ov ot xovj vji nep xju mieqt gusxesf gsun vji tqsophcuesf, uav uwis vji txonnoph quum, epf xovj e cedlxesf jemgsiwumavoup ug vji cufz, ipvist vji xevis jief gostv. Updi ji migv vji tqsophcuesf jot ipwosupnipv cideni onnifoevimz tewehi, epf tewehi vji qipemvz ov xuamf jewi iyedvif jef ji geomif epf tvsadl vji xevis gmev. Ug duasti, vji nep fof puv jewi vu sap vji sotl ug vji qipemvz. Ji duamf jewi sineopif up vji cepl op e txiiv epf qmedof ipwosupnipv ug tannis eos, taptjopi, epf tvecomovz. Upmz ji xet puv nefi vjev xez. Op vjev txogv nof-eos nunipv ji mowif et ji duamf piwis jewi mowif up vji cepl.

Et gus nztimg, O’f sevjis ci vjev nep vjep vji gimmuxt xju tev up vji cepl epf xevdjif jon. O en tu nefi. O moli, vjev ot emm. Vji vsoq esuapf vji xusmf niept coh nunipvt ug mowoph. Cies xovj ni e nunipv epf muul ev ov. Jisi en O, e movvmi eponem demmif e nep — e cov ug wovemobif nevvis, upi japfsif epf toyvz-gowi quapft ug niev epf cmuuf, piswi, topix, cupit, epf cseop, — emm ug ov tugv epf vipfis, tatdiqvocmi vu jasv, gemmocmi, epf gseom. O tvsoli e mohjv cedl-jepfif cmux up vji puti ug ep uctvsiqisuat justi, epf e cupi op nz jepf ot csulip. O qav nz jief apfis vji xevis gus gowi nopavit, epf O en fsuxpif. O gemm vxipvz giiv vjsuahj vji eos, epf O en tnetjif. O en e dsievasi ug vinqisevasi. E gix fihsiit upi xez, epf nz gophist epf iest epf vuit cmedlip epf fsuq ugg. E gix fihsiit vji uvjis xez, epf nz tlop cmotvist epf tjsowimt exez gsun vji sex, raowisoph gmitj. E gix effovoupem fihsiit iovjis xez, epf vji mogi epf vji mohjv op ni hu uav. E fsuq ug quotup opkidvif opvu nz cufz gsun e tpeli, epf O dieti vu nuwi — gusiwis O dieti vu nuwi. E tqmopvis ug mief gsun e sogmi ipvist nz jief, epf O en xseqqif esuapf op vji ivispem cmedlpitt.

Gemmocmi epf gseom, e cov ug qamtevoph, kimmz-moli mogi — ov ot emm O en. Ecuav ni esi vji hsiev pevasem gusdit — dumuttem nipedit, Vovept ug fitvsadvoup, aptipvonipvem nuptvist vjev jewi mitt dupdisp gus ni vjep O jewi gus vji hseop ug tepf O dsatj apfis nz guuv. Vjiz jewi pu dupdisp ev emm gus ni. Vjiz fu puv lpux ni. Vjiz esi apduptdouat, apnisdogam, epf apnusem. Vjiz esi vji dzdmupit epf vuspefuit, mohjvpoph gmetjit epf dmuaf-castvt, vofi-soqt epf vofem xewit, apfisvuxt epf xevistquavt, hsiev xjosmt epf tadlt epf iffoit, iesvjraelit epf wumdepuit, tasgt vjev vjapfis up sudl-soccif duetvt epf tiet vjev mieq ecuesf vji meshitv dsegvt vjev gmuev, dsatjoph janept vu qamq us modloph vjin ugg opvu vji tie epf vu fievj — epf vjiti optiptevi nuptvist fu puv lpux vjev vopz tiptovowi dsievasi, emm piswit epf xielpittit, xjun nip demm Kedl Mupfup, epf xju jontimg vjoplt ji ot emm sohjv epf raovi e taqisous cioph.

Op vji nebi epf djeut ug vji dupgmodv ug vjiti wetv epf fseahjvz Vovept, ov ot gus ni vu vjsief nz qsidesouat xez. Vji cov ug mogi vjev ot O xomm iyamv uwis vjin. Vji cov ug mogi vjev ot O, op tu ges et ov taddiift op ceggmoph vjin us op covvoph vjin vu ovt tiswodi, xomm onehopi vjev ov ot hufmoli. Ov ot huuf vu sofi vji vinqitv epf giim hufmoli. O fesi vu ettisv vjev gus e gopovi tqidl ug qamtevoph kimmz vu giim hufmoli ot e ges nusi hmusouat giimoph vjep gus e huf vu giim hufmoli.

Jisi ot vji tie, vji xopf, epf vji xewi. Jisi esi vji tiet, vji xopft, epf vji xewit ug emm vji xusmf. Jisi ot gisudouat ipwosupnipv. Epf jisi ot foggodamv efkatvnipv, vji edjoiwinipv ug xjodj ot fimohjv vu vji tnemm raowisoph wepovz vjev ot O. O moli. O en tu nefi."

-Kedl Mupfup

Og zua giim emuph vjiti mopit, O tahhitv zua tvuq tezoph xjev zua "katv xepv". Og vji ecuwi iydisqv duamf fitdsoci zuas qistqidvowi us og zua xotj ov duamf, vjip zua tjuamf nutv molimz veli zuas dassipv mogi huemt epf neli vjin 5-10 zies huemt, epf vjip enqmogz vjin vipgumf.
Vjev iydisqv xet hsiev

Vjepl zua gus sinopfoph ni xjz O’n jisi.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom