The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for Numbers/Accounting Software for Service Businesses

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

addV

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Sep 27, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am currently in search of an accounting software that caters specifically to service businesses and provides a user-friendly experience for understanding my company's financials, without the complexity of Excel.

While Quickbooks appears to be a popular choice, I have encountered difficulties in configuring it to display a basic gross margin for a software business. My primary goal is to accurately allocate costs related to the individuals delivering the services, and have them reflected in the gross margin and cost of sales.

To provide further context, let me present a simple example with test numbers. In my view, it would be logical to include all direct costs associated with the service delivery in the gross profit calculation. This would involve accounting for expenses such as salaries, project-specific travel expenses, as well as laptops, subscriptions, and other resources used by the employees involved in delivering projects:

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 15.19.48.png

I am uncertain about the specific challenges I am facing, and I would appreciate your insights:
  • Am I approaching this in an incorrect manner? (While I am not an accountant, this is how my industry typically calculates margins, and I would like to compare accordingly. For instance, a standard gross margin is usually around 30%.)
  • Is there a crucial aspect I might be overlooking while using Quickbooks?
  • Are there other software options better suited for service businesses?
  • Does this problem resonate with others? If so, I would consider developing a solution myself.
I look forward to your valuable input and guidance. Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
You could also filter the profits/expenses by customer or vendor. From my experience, it's easier to do it on QuickBooks Desktop versus QBO, but otherwise you would have to make multiple chart of accounts and put a bunch of memos, classes, and then filter by that, and then you get your result.

Eridius

Mediocrity Getaway
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Nov 22, 2020
I've used it before and also hit some snags when trying to get it to show me exactly what I wanted, especially when it came to breaking down costs in a way that made sense for a service-based business like mine. It's not always as intuitive as you'd hope for handling specific accounting needs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.