What's new

Looming redundancy, am I risking too much for my e-commerce business?

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Khaanchal

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
133%
Hi all!

Series of events from this year:

March 2024: Had an idea for a product, this transformed into an idea for an e-commerce business. The product is a unique board game that will target the South Asian diaspora (upwards of 18M people globally). The idea for the game was born out of a rare game night I had with some cousins and my parents (we played Articulate). Given the western theme of the words in the game, there were multiple occasions where one of my immigrant parents wasn’t on the same wavelength as my cousins and I. That’s when I realized the potential for a South Asian themed word-based board game - an intergenerational game that would bring all family members together.

I’m 29 year old living in the UK with no dependents. I have a 9-6 job working in tech which gives me a reliable income so I plan to launch my business alongside this day job.

April 2024: I start developing and prototyping for the board game, getting feedback from friends and family perfecting the game more and more.

21st May 2024: I find out that my team and I are going to be made redundant, haha! I have 2-3 months still left on the payroll and will be paid at least 5 months of (untaxed) severance after.

I make peace with the redundancy fairly quickly and move onto spending more time on improving my game, speaking to game manufacturers, and of course playing the game with friends more to help iterate the product further.

I read The Millionaire Fastlane cover to cover, which highlights further how much of a blessing this looming redundancy really is for me ! My ambition to grow my first e-commerce business strengthens and helps to reframe a lot of my thinking. Releasing this game is just the start, I will closely listen to the feedback I get en masse and try to spot more opportunities of how to help people.

June 2024: Still working on my game (prototyping, speaking to manufacturers and onboarding a graphic designer) I’m super aware of the fact that I have 6-8 months worth of income coming my way whilst I work on launching my first product to the market.

But I have many questions and concerns flying around in my head:
  • I have minimal experience in entrepreneurship - my family has always been in entrepreneurship but I have personally only pursued a career in tech, so the basic ropes of business aren’t unknown to me, but I surely still don’t have first hand experience of my own. I expect myself to make mistakes but of course I am scared given my finite money reserves.
  • While I may have some funds now, I know it won’t last forever. Even that my target market is large, I’m fully aware the nature of this product. This is not a subscription service where I can expect repeat customers - a maximum 1 game would be bought per household typically and they’re often shared too. This isn’t really a fast lane business, but I want to use executing this idea as a stepping stone to something even bigger.
  • Can this single product idea really give me a reasonable start to the financial stability I want for myself through the entrepreneurial route? Have I overestimated this idea? Or is it truly about just trusting my gut feeling of how successful this game (and future games under the same brand) can be because the name of the game is quality of execution?
  • I am very reluctant to go back to working for someone else, the thought of it repulses me… So I am all the more driven to make this and anything I choose to pursue in the next few months replace and more than exceed what I was making at my 9-6 job.
  • I’m not on a total bootstrap budget - I have incoming severance pay and some savings to tide me over too. I’m outsourcing the graphic design work for the game itself because the look and feel of the game really matters for how the product is perceived. (It’s costing me $1622) But I’m also aware of how important social media will be for the game to sell both nationally and globally. Should I onboard a social media manager from day 1, or attempt to do it myself? I have personal experience in social media but don’t know the first thing about growing a brand’s following on Instagram and TikTok. I am ready to learn but I’m very aware my efforts won’t match a professional’s. Would it be a good investment or a frivolous way to spend my finite income?

All questions, thoughts and feedback are welcome! Looking to get some clarity - thank you in advance

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Cigusi epzvjoph.

Veli vji NWQ wistoup ug vji heni, epf vitv ov.
vitv ov jesf. hu vu mudem cuesf heni pohjvt epf csoph vji heni xovj zua, muul gus siedvoupt epf giifcedl.

O'n puv op vji cuesf-heni opfatvsz, cav O en e henis.
O caz heni upmz vjsuahj sidunnipfevoup gsun gsoipft / dunnapovz (Gedicuul hsuaqt).
Henit natv ci taqis gap vjev O xomm sidunnipf uvjis vu caz.
Tu neli tasi zua jewi qutovowi giifcedl epf siwoixt.

Hiv giifcedl gsun qiuqmi vjev qez gus zuas qsufadv/tiswodi. Etloph gsoipft epf genomz ot qsivvz nadj atimitt.

Cigusi epzvjoph.

Veli vji NWQ wistoup ug vji heni, epf vitv ov.
vitv ov jesf. hu vu mudem cuesf heni pohjvt epf csoph vji heni xovj zua, muul gus siedvoupt epf giifcedl.

O'n puv op vji cuesf-heni opfatvsz, cav O en e henis.
O caz heni upmz vjsuahj sidunnipfevoup gsun gsoipft / dunnapovz (Gedicuul hsuaqt).
Henit natv ci taqis gap vjev O xomm sidunnipf uvjis vu caz.
Tu neli tasi zua jewi qutovowi giifcedl epf siwoixt.
Ectumavimz ehsii!

O'n op vji qsuditt ug vjot, cav cideati nz heni ot e podji xovjop vji cuesf heni nesliv, O dep'v qsedvodemmz veli nz heni vu qmez-vitv iwipvt, mudem cuesf heni pohjvt et ovt tqidogodemmz devisif vu vji Tuavj-Etoep nesliv. (Ov opdmafit nepz xusft op foggisipv mephaehit epf tqidogod, damvasem sigisipdit).

Optvief O'n atoph nz iyotvoph pivxusl epf gsoipft ug gsoipft vu vitv vji heni vu hiv giifcedl. Tu ges giifcedl jet ciip johjmz qutovowi epf wisz ipduasehoph. O en vszoph vu hiv giifcedl gsun uavtofi ug nz dosdmi et quttocmi vuu, topdi O eqqsidoevi vjisi nez ci tuni coet uvjisxoti.

Emtu vji heni ovtimg ot e Tuavj-Etoep efeqvevoup ug ep iyotvoph, ximm-molif epf itvecmotjif, cuesf heni, tu vjisi ot mitt ug e piif vu vitv xjivjis qiuqmi ipkuz vji heniqmez ivd us puv. Ov't nusi ecuav tiioph jux vji efeqvoup ot sidiowif.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom