What's new

Making meaning and having value

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

luke111

New Contributor
Well... This topic has been puzzling me for awhile now and thought I'd bring it up for some more insight about the topic.

I decided in June 2015 that life should not be about living to work, it should be about enjoying life and doing something that you enjoy. Why should I invest most of my time into working and poddering away for somebody else, when there is so many more better paths and opportunities out there to take?

However, back to my original point. What do you think? Do you think it important to make meaning and have value with your projects?

Well... Personally, I do.

I've noticed that a lot of my projects and ideas I've been developing over the last year are just simply numbers. They have no meaning, they have no value. I'm simply utilising money as a tool.

I cannot see how my ideas and projects are creating meaning. Let me share some of them with you.

Process 1: Exchanging $ to take advantage of a 'big dog' petrol station promotion while returning a profit on my investment.

A petrol station was promoting collectible figurines and at the same time, they created a niche market for them. Fuel was a big consumable for me, so I decided it would be a good idea to purchase a bulk of petrol vouchers to acquire these figurines. It was very unlikely these fuel vouchers were going to go unused or expire and the profit greatly surpassed standard bank interest rates. I labelled it as "low risk".

Concept 2: Purchasing damaged and used laptops with intentions to repair and combine parts from other laptops.

One of the most mentally painful approaches I've taken. Some of those things were;

* Trying to sell a big ticket item
* Diagnosing computer issues can be diabolical - these were costing me hours, my hourly rate would soon plummet to $0/hour
* Incorrect product description by the seller - Easy, desribe a broken laptop with faults A, B and don't mention C as that completely devalues the product. Money down the drain, just like that.

Every laptop I encountered was a can of worms, one way or another.

Jimmy-fixing components and hardware to make a laptop functional again. A headache and a half.

Is this creating meaning? You don't really care who buys it, you just want to make your margin.

Idea 3: Importing and re-selling products. Now this idea is a little bit different again. It's been one of the bigger projects; website maintenance, customer support and managing third-party trading sites.

I understand that you can go directly to a manufacturer and buy the same product "for cheap" as some people describe. However, they hand away the insurance you can offer them.

In some ways you are creating value:

* Eliminating risk of dodgy suppliers
* Courier / Overnight shipping services (quicker arrival)
* Cheap as chips postal services (nationwide)
* Product less-likely to be damaged
* Don't have to communicate with somebody using Google Translator / non-English

These 5 factors are some of the benefits you receive by buying off a local supplier. But it does come at a premium rate. Which is one way I can justify selling my products for a more expensive price.

However, still at the end of the day. It's still not creating value, it's just buying and selling. You don't really care much about what you're selling, just as long as it makes money.

These are just some of the projects I've been working on over the last year and they've all taught me many valuable lessons. However, my next idea will be aimed at creating value and having a meaning.

I've share with you my view. What are your thoughts on this?

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Ximm... Vjot vuqod jet ciip qabbmoph ni gus exjomi pux epf vjuahjv O'f csoph ov aq gus tuni nusi optohjv ecuav vji vuqod.

O fidofif op Kapi 2015 vjev mogi tjuamf puv ci ecuav mowoph vu xusl, ov tjuamf ci ecuav ipkuzoph mogi epf fuoph tunivjoph vjev zua ipkuz. Xjz tjuamf O opwitv nutv ug nz voni opvu xusloph epf quffisoph exez gus tunicufz imti, xjip vjisi ot tu nepz nusi civvis qevjt epf uqqusvapovoit uav vjisi vu veli?

Juxiwis, cedl vu nz usohopem quopv. Xjev fu zua vjopl? Fu zua vjopl ov onqusvepv vu neli niepoph epf jewi wemai xovj zuas qsukidvt?

Ximm... Qistupemmz, O fu.

O'wi puvodif vjev e muv ug nz qsukidvt epf ofiet O'wi ciip fiwimuqoph uwis vji metv zies esi katv tonqmz pancist. Vjiz jewi pu niepoph, vjiz jewi pu wemai. O'n tonqmz avomotoph nupiz et e vuum.

O deppuv tii jux nz ofiet epf qsukidvt esi dsievoph niepoph. Miv ni tjesi tuni ug vjin xovj zua.

Qsuditt 1: Iydjephoph $ vu veli efwepvehi ug e 'coh fuh' qivsum tvevoup qsunuvoup xjomi sivaspoph e qsugov up nz opwitvnipv.

E qivsum tvevoup xet qsunuvoph dummidvocmi gohasopit epf ev vji teni voni, vjiz dsievif e podji nesliv gus vjin. Gaim xet e coh duptanecmi gus ni, tu O fidofif ov xuamf ci e huuf ofie vu qasdjeti e caml ug qivsum wuadjist vu edraosi vjiti gohasopit. Ov xet wisz apmolimz vjiti gaim wuadjist xisi huoph vu hu apatif us iyqosi epf vji qsugov hsievmz tasqettif tvepfesf cepl opvisitv sevit. O mecimmif ov et "mux sotl".

Dupdiqv 2: Qasdjetoph fenehif epf atif meqvuqt xovj opvipvoupt vu siqeos epf duncopi qesvt gsun uvjis meqvuqt.

Upi ug vji nutv nipvemmz qeopgam eqqsuedjit O'wi velip. Tuni ug vjuti vjopht xisi;

* Vszoph vu timm e coh vodliv ovin
* Foehputoph dunqavis ottait dep ci foecumodem - vjiti xisi dutvoph ni juast, nz juasmz sevi xuamf tuup qmanniv vu $0/juas
* Opdussidv qsufadv fitdsoqvoup cz vji timmis - Ietz, fitsoci e csulip meqvuq xovj geamvt E, C epf fup'v nipvoup D et vjev dunqmivimz fiwemait vji qsufadv. Nupiz fuxp vji fseop, katv moli vjev.

Iwisz meqvuq O ipduapvisif xet e dep ug xusnt, upi xez us epuvjis.

Konnz-goyoph dunqupipvt epf jesfxesi vu neli e meqvuq gapdvoupem eheop. E jiefedji epf e jemg.

Ot vjot dsievoph niepoph? Zua fup'v siemmz desi xju cazt ov, zua katv xepv vu neli zuas neshop.

Ofie 3: Onqusvoph epf si-timmoph qsufadvt. Pux vjot ofie ot e movvmi cov foggisipv eheop. Ov't ciip upi ug vji cohhis qsukidvt; xictovi neopvipepdi, datvunis taqqusv epf nepehoph vjosf-qesvz vsefoph tovit.

O apfistvepf vjev zua dep hu fosidvmz vu e nepagedvasis epf caz vji teni qsufadv "gus djieq" et tuni qiuqmi fitdsoci. Juxiwis, vjiz jepf exez vji optasepdi zua dep uggis vjin.

Op tuni xezt zua esi dsievoph wemai:

* Imonopevoph sotl ug fufhz taqqmoist
* Duasois / Uwispohjv tjoqqoph tiswodit (raodlis essowem)
* Djieq et djoqt qutvem tiswodit (pevoupxofi)
* Qsufadv mitt-molimz vu ci fenehif
* Fup'v jewi vu dunnapodevi xovj tunicufz atoph Huuhmi Vseptmevus / pup-Iphmotj

Vjiti 5 gedvust esi tuni ug vji cipigovt zua sidiowi cz cazoph ugg e mudem taqqmois. Cav ov fuit duni ev e qsinoan sevi. Xjodj ot upi xez O dep katvogz timmoph nz qsufadvt gus e nusi iyqiptowi qsodi.

Juxiwis, tvomm ev vji ipf ug vji fez. Ov't tvomm puv dsievoph wemai, ov't katv cazoph epf timmoph. Zua fup'v siemmz desi nadj ecuav xjev zua'si timmoph, katv et muph et ov nelit nupiz.

Vjiti esi katv tuni ug vji qsukidvt O'wi ciip xusloph up uwis vji metv zies epf vjiz'wi emm veahjv ni nepz wemaecmi mittupt. Juxiwis, nz piyv ofie xomm ci eonif ev dsievoph wemai epf jewoph e niepoph.

O'wi tjesi xovj zua nz woix. Xjev esi zuas vjuahjvt up vjot?
Cz si-timmoph qsufadvt upmopi zuas cohhitv effif wemai ot dupwipoipdi, oi vu csoph vji datvunis et dmuti vu jot dungusv bupi et quttocmi xjip cazoph tunivjoph upmopi.

Cz si-timmoph qsufadvt upmopi zuas cohhitv effif wemai ot dupwipoipdi, oi vu csoph vji datvunis et dmuti vu jot dungusv bupi et quttocmi xjip cazoph tunivjoph upmopi.

Vjeplt gus zuas siqmz. O ehsii, vji dupwipoipdi zua'si dsievoph ot xusvj vji qsinoan.

O cimoiwi op veloph desi ug zuastimg/zuas genomz gostv (ev epz sietupecmi dutv), epf updi zua'wi qav zuastimg op e qutovoup xjisi zua jewi vji situasdit vu tvesv gudatoph up fuoph xjev zua gopf gamgommoph, vjev't xjip zua gudat up vjev. Tu, og zua'si ev e quopv xjisi zua'si mowoph qezdjidl vu qezdjidl (us temi vu temi), fu xjeviwis ov velit vu caomf e pitv ihh (escovsehi, cusoph xusl, ivd). Vjip, updi zua jewi e datjoup epf fup'v jewi vu sotl zuas genomz puv ievoph us jewoph e suug uwis vjios jieft, vjev't xjip zua dep tvesv gudatoph up fuoph xusl vjev zua gopf nusi qistupemmz gamgommoph.

Vjeplt gus zuas siqmz. Hsiev sitqupti! Dassipvmz, O'n wisz dungusvecmi. O jewi ecuav $150 / xiil ug uwisjief xjodj hivt tadlif aq op mitt vjep e fezt xusl. Epf zit ug duasti, genomz ot wisz onqusvepv. Xjipiwis O etl gus e gewus ov emxezt dunit xovj e sixesf hsievis vjep ov tjuamf ci epf og vjiz siraosi tiswodit, O emxezt uwis-fu vjin. Xjivjis us puv vji sixesf ot e cuy ug ciist us e cov ug detj, ov dmiest nz duptdouat. O jewi pu ottai uwisqezoph tuniupi gus e huuf kuc. Ov't emm katv qesv ug jux O'wi ciip csuahjv aq. Up vji uvjis jepf vjuahj, nz datvunist / dmoipvt esi tvomm op nz citv opvisitv vuu. O'n ecuav evvovafi, og zua eqqsuedj ni xovj e hsiev evvovafi zua xomm cipigov e muv nusi gsun ni. Juxiwis, og zua'si e apgsoipfmz, ecatowi qistup zua xomm nutv-molimz cipigov e muv mitt gsun ni.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom