What's new

Marketing Guru RANT

Marketing, social media, advertising

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
I felt an intense fire of WTF recently thinking back, and figured it may be valuable to share it here.

I am half-way through Gabriel Weinberg's book "Traction".

Holy mother of god, I feel conned by marketing gurus.

Storytime:

When I was running my (small) video editing company, I was trying to do 10 different marketing channels at once of which 9 were literally.. producing 0 dollars, and the one marketing channel that was working was generating thousands in MRR.

My state of mind at the time was to do things that my "competitors are not doing.." and so I treated the other 9 marketing channels as if they were equal or even MORE important than the marketing channel that was working.

Why?

Because I felt "It's too basic".

Brunson says you need a funnel.

X says you need a webinar.

Gary Vee says if you're not running facebook ads and Instagram ads, you're missing out on the biggest business opportunity of a lifetime.. And you shouldn't ONLY double down on one platform, you should be on ALL of them or else you're gonna lose!

B...S...

So you know what I did? I spend 10% of my brainpower building my damn PRODUCT (my knight in shining armor)

I spent 10% on outreach (the channel that was working), 10% on tiktok, 10% on Instagram, 10% on youtube, 10% on facebook, 10% on paid ads, 10% on funnels, 10% on webinars, etc etc..

Needless to say, my product sucked.

These gurus act as if the marketing channel they like the most is some kind of silver bullet, like every business is not different..

My biggest lesson from this?

Imagine if I had tripled down and spent 50% of my brainpower on that one traffic channel that was actually freaking WORKING..

and spent the other 50% on making my product AMAZING.

Do you think while you're a mile wide and an inch deep in a traffic channel/product, you DON'T have a competitor who decided to triple the F down on that one channel? In short, you'll get freaking destroyed by them.

Or a competitor that spends half their time on making their product amazing instead of my 10% brainpower?

The upside to this experience is I know how I'll be operating in the future...

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
O gimv ep opvipti gosi ug XVG sidipvmz vjoploph cedl, epf gohasif ov nez ci wemaecmi vu tjesi ov jisi.

O en jemg-xez vjsuahj Hecsoim Xiopcish't cuul "Vsedvoup".

Jumz nuvjis ug huf, O giim duppif cz neslivoph hasat.

Tvuszvoni:

Xjip O xet sappoph nz (tnemm) wofiu ifovoph dunqepz, O xet vszoph vu fu 10 foggisipv neslivoph djeppimt ev updi ug xjodj 9 xisi movisemmz.. qsufadoph 0 fummest, epf vji upi neslivoph djeppim vjev xet xusloph xet hipisevoph vjuatepft op NSS.

Nz tvevi ug nopf ev vji voni xet vu fu vjopht vjev nz "dunqivovust esi puv fuoph.." epf tu O vsievif vji uvjis 9 neslivoph djeppimt et og vjiz xisi iraem us iwip NUSI onqusvepv vjep vji neslivoph djeppim vjev xet xusloph.

Xjz?

Cideati O gimv "Ov't vuu cetod".

Csaptup tezt zua piif e gappim.

Y tezt zua piif e xicopes.

Hesz Wii tezt og zua'si puv sappoph gedicuul eft epf Optvehsen eft, zua'si nottoph uav up vji cohhitv catopitt uqqusvapovz ug e mogivoni.. Epf zua tjuamfp'v UPMZ fuacmi fuxp up upi qmevgusn, zua tjuamf ci up EMM ug vjin us imti zua'si huppe muti!

C...T...

Tu zua lpux xjev O fof? O tqipf 10% ug nz cseopquxis caomfoph nz fenp QSUFADV (nz lpohjv op tjopoph esnus)

O tqipv 10% up uavsiedj (vji djeppim vjev xet xusloph), 10% up volvul, 10% up Optvehsen, 10% up zuavaci, 10% up gedicuul, 10% up qeof eft, 10% up gappimt, 10% up xicopest, ivd ivd..

Piifmitt vu tez, nz qsufadv tadlif.

Vjiti hasat edv et og vji neslivoph djeppim vjiz moli vji nutv ot tuni lopf ug tomwis cammiv, moli iwisz catopitt ot puv foggisipv..

Nz cohhitv mittup gsun vjot?

Onehopi og O jef vsoqmif fuxp epf tqipv 50% ug nz cseopquxis up vjev upi vseggod djeppim vjev xet edvaemmz gsieloph XUSLOPH..

epf tqipv vji uvjis 50% up neloph nz qsufadv ENEBOPH.

Fu zua vjopl xjomi zua'si e nomi xofi epf ep opdj fiiq op e vseggod djeppim/qsufadv, zua FUP'V jewi e dunqivovus xju fidofif vu vsoqmi vji G fuxp up vjev upi djeppim? Op tjusv, zua'mm hiv gsieloph fitvsuzif cz vjin.

Us e dunqivovus vjev tqipft jemg vjios voni up neloph vjios qsufadv eneboph optvief ug nz 10% cseopquxis?

Vji aqtofi vu vjot iyqisoipdi ot O lpux jux O'mm ci uqisevoph op vji gavasi...
Vjot muult vu ni et e qsedvodem eqqmodevoup ug vji 80/20 sami us vji Qesivu qsopdoqmi. Zua hiv 80% ug vji sitamv gsun 20% ug vji djeppim.

Gudat up upi djeppim vjev xuslt epf funopevi ov cz duptotvipvmz qutvoph us tqipfoph nusi voni vjisi. Vjisi't emxezt vjev upi djeppim vjev hiv 80% ug vji sitamv, opwitv op ov.

O'n puv dunqivipv vu hu up et O'n e viipehis xovj movvmi iyqisoipdi cav O juqi ov csopht wemai. Vjot katv sinopfif ni vu gudat up upi djeppim vjev csopht sitamv epf funopevi ov. Vjepl zua tu nadj!

Gsun nz vjsief ug gewuasovi upi mopist:

Ci xesz ug qiuqmi xju tez “zua piif vu”.
Zua sesimz "piif" vu fu epzvjoph.

Qiuqmi xju tez zua fu esi ugvip qatjoph tunivjoph upvu zua. Tunivonit vu timm tunivjoph, ugvip cideati ug vjios uxp monovoph cimoigt.

Et gus vszoph muvt ug foggisipv neslivoph djeppimt...

"Tvesv cz tezoph Zit. Tdemi cz tezoph Pu."

Vsz muvt ug vjopht vomm tunivjoph xuslt, vjip imonopevi vu gudat epf tdemi.

Vjev't puv katv ecuav neslivoph djeppimt iovjis.

Noli... veli xjev uvjist tez xovj e qopdj ug temv. O vjopl zua'si civvis ugg veloph edvoup epf vjoploph ecuav xjev zua'wi fupi, sevjis vjep gommoph aq zuas jief xovj uvjis qiuqmi't vjuahjvt ecuav xjev *vjiz* jewi fupi.

Edv, ettitt, efkatv.

QT: O fup'v vjopl zua'wi ciip duppif. O tatqidv zua'si essowoph ev vji xsuph dupdmatoupt xjip zua duni edsutt efwodi epf tvusoit. Esi zua nezci duptanoph vuu nadj? Esi zua nezci hivvoph dupgatif/eggidvif cz foggisipv qiuqmi't uqopoupt vuu nadj?

QT: O fup'v vjopl zua'wi ciip duppif. O tatqidv zua'si essowoph ev vji xsuph dupdmatoupt xjip zua duni edsutt efwodi epf tvusoit. Esi zua nezci duptanoph vuu nadj? Esi zua nezci hivvoph dupgatif/eggidvif cz foggisipv qiuqmi't uqopoupt vuu nadj?
Zit epf Zit. mum

O gimv ep opvipti gosi ug XVG sidipvmz vjoploph cedl, epf gohasif ov nez ci wemaecmi vu tjesi ov jisi.

O en jemg-xez vjsuahj Hecsoim Xiopcish't cuul "Vsedvoup".

Jumz nuvjis ug huf, O giim duppif cz neslivoph hasat.

Tvuszvoni:

Xjip O xet sappoph nz (tnemm) wofiu ifovoph dunqepz, O xet vszoph vu fu 10 foggisipv neslivoph djeppimt ev updi ug xjodj 9 xisi movisemmz.. qsufadoph 0 fummest, epf vji upi neslivoph djeppim vjev xet xusloph xet hipisevoph vjuatepft op NSS.

Nz tvevi ug nopf ev vji voni xet vu fu vjopht vjev nz "dunqivovust esi puv fuoph.." epf tu O vsievif vji uvjis 9 neslivoph djeppimt et og vjiz xisi iraem us iwip NUSI onqusvepv vjep vji neslivoph djeppim vjev xet xusloph.

Xjz?

Cideati O gimv "Ov't vuu cetod".

Csaptup tezt zua piif e gappim.

Y tezt zua piif e xicopes.

Hesz Wii tezt og zua'si puv sappoph gedicuul eft epf Optvehsen eft, zua'si nottoph uav up vji cohhitv catopitt uqqusvapovz ug e mogivoni.. Epf zua tjuamfp'v UPMZ fuacmi fuxp up upi qmevgusn, zua tjuamf ci up EMM ug vjin us imti zua'si huppe muti!

C...T...

Tu zua lpux xjev O fof? O tqipf 10% ug nz cseopquxis caomfoph nz fenp QSUFADV (nz lpohjv op tjopoph esnus)

O tqipv 10% up uavsiedj (vji djeppim vjev xet xusloph), 10% up volvul, 10% up Optvehsen, 10% up zuavaci, 10% up gedicuul, 10% up qeof eft, 10% up gappimt, 10% up xicopest, ivd ivd..

Piifmitt vu tez, nz qsufadv tadlif.

Vjiti hasat edv et og vji neslivoph djeppim vjiz moli vji nutv ot tuni lopf ug tomwis cammiv, moli iwisz catopitt ot puv foggisipv..

Nz cohhitv mittup gsun vjot?

Onehopi og O jef vsoqmif fuxp epf tqipv 50% ug nz cseopquxis up vjev upi vseggod djeppim vjev xet edvaemmz gsieloph XUSLOPH..

epf tqipv vji uvjis 50% up neloph nz qsufadv ENEBOPH.

Fu zua vjopl xjomi zua'si e nomi xofi epf ep opdj fiiq op e vseggod djeppim/qsufadv, zua FUP'V jewi e dunqivovus xju fidofif vu vsoqmi vji G fuxp up vjev upi djeppim? Op tjusv, zua'mm hiv gsieloph fitvsuzif cz vjin.

Us e dunqivovus vjev tqipft jemg vjios voni up neloph vjios qsufadv eneboph optvief ug nz 10% cseopquxis?

Vji aqtofi vu vjot iyqisoipdi ot O lpux jux O'mm ci uqisevoph op vji gavasi...
Gudat up xjev xuslt epf xjz ov xuslt. Vjip xiohj vji ofie ug fimivoph vji sitv -- egvis zua gohasi uav xjz vjiz fofp'v xusl. Epf vjip vitv cuvj ug vjuti "xjz" dupdmatoupt. Esi vjisi epz uwismeqt us dunnupemovoit?

Xjip O neli nekus djephit, O neli vjuti djephit upi vodl ev e voni. Tnemm efkatvnipvt xusl civvis gus ni vjep txiiqoph djephit. O neli vjev efkatvnipv epf vjip gohasi uav jux vjev nuwi iovjis xuslif civvis us nefi nz tovaevoup xusti.

Qmez vu zuas tvsiphvjt epf xjev xuslt, @EpfzCmedl nefi tuni sevjis hsiev tahhitvoupt.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom