What's new

Marketing: Schooling the Competition

Marketing, social media, advertising

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I got to spend the weekend with lots of my martial arts brethren this weekend. School owners, businessmen, seminars, classes, brain storming sessions. We talked all about what's working, what's not working, where the future is, and all kinds of stuff. Got some great ideas - especially just brainstorming with others!

So I figure I'd share some of the things I am going to implement. Since I often take so much from this forum, every once in a while I can give back :thumbsup:

Most of this will apply to B&M businesses (since that's me) but I'm sure the geniuses on here can figure out how to apply this to IM. (If you do - let me know:smx19:)

So... here we go!

Marketing Notes:

When it comes to selling, less is usually more. Meaning - less options usually results in more sales. Less choices usually ends up in more decisions.

In our advertisements we are trying to get someone to take action. There is no such thing as "just branding". The large companies do it; Nike, McDonalds, etc. But I honestly think they are throwing money away (not that they don't have enough to throw!). Unless you are getting someone to directly respond you are wasting time and money.

That being said - our goal - is to get someone to

1.) SEE our ad
2.) READ our ad
3.) TAKE ACTION

Most business owners and advertisers have not yet figured out what attracts the eye. In print magazines, newspapers, direct mailing, you have exactly 0.0083235134461 seconds to catch their eye or you're going in the trash with everything else.

Catching their eyes with colors, pictures of people, and unique objects is the key.

When people read your ad it must pertain to what the heck you do! I recently had an ad of mine go out that just said: "SUMMER FUN! $14.95!" With a young girl in a robe... hahaha not exactly the service I'm selling!!!

So you've heard all of this before, but here's the "new" and "innovative" stuff:

Let me ask you a question: If you were going to talk to someone you don't know, would you rather call them or e-mail them?

What I am finding these days is that even if people are interested in my school, they won't take action right away!

In looking at the psychology of people who want to do anything - there seems to be a couple different reasons people don't take action even though they want to.

1.) Not painful enough (meaning they don't quite need your solution yet, but they are thinking about it)

2.) Not comfortable

Today I will tackle the second one. I've been totally oblivious to this for a while - since my school is usually extremely busy, but since I'm looking to expand again I will need to tighten up ship even more and explore even finer details to make my school THE BEST.

I just figured people would call if they saw the ad and liked what we had to offer - boy have I been wrong.

I have guesstimated that about 50% of the people that see my ads are uncomfortable calling the first time. Why? Because most see my ads 3 or 4 times before they actually take action... and almost every time they say "man, we should have done this earlier.. I just don't know why we didn't"

So to solve this problem - I'm changing things up a little.

Normally every ad has only ONE way to contact us. Phone number.

Now ads will have 5 ways for them to get to us:

Call the schedule first class
Stop by daily at 7:00
Visit our website at...
Text us to win a free t-shirt
Scan this QR code for a free book teaching your kids...

So now, instead of just calling - they have many options to check it out.

Now I know what you're thinking "too many things!!!"

But I will be experimenting with this for a while. Trying different combinations - and I will keep everyone posted on the results! So far results have been great, but I want to take great to fantastic!

Hope this gives you a couple ideas! Good marketing to ya!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Epuvjis uqvoup zua duamf eff ot "Demm vu motvip vu e qsisidusfif nittehi." Gus qiuqmi vjev xepv vu demm epf hiv nusi opgu cav esi egseof ug "cioph tumf" vjot ot e hsiev uqvoup.

Huuf tvagg Laph Ga Tviwi!

iyedvmz 0.0083235134461 tidupft vu devdj vjios izi

O wisogoif vjot. Gedv!

Demm vji tdjifami gostv dmett
Tvuq cz feomz ev 7:00
Wotov uas xictovi ev...
Viyv at vu xop e gsii v-tjosv
Tdep vjot RS dufi gus e gsii cuul viedjoph zuas loft...

Hsiev ofie. O moli vji ofie ecuav vji gsii v-tjosv gus viyvoph - podi vuadj. O nohjv eff tipfoph ep ineom vu vjev et ximm, cideati O vjopl epuvjis sietup xjz qiuqmi nohjv puv sitqupf vu zuas ef vji gostv voni ot cideati ov ot opdupwipoipv gus vjin ev vji voni. Dimm qjupit esi cidunoph nusi epf nusi atif epf nutv ug vjin ucwouatmz jewi vji uqvoup vu ineom et ximm.

Tqiif++

Jiz Tviwi -

Jewi zua duptofisif jutvoph e sihames "uqip juati" gus zuas tdjuum?

E xiilmz us nupvjmz niiv-epf-hsiiv xovj nezci e tnemm finuptvsevoup nohjv ci e huuf mux qsittasi xez gus gumlt vu tii xjev zua jewi vu uggis.

O xuamf vjopl vjev e nesvoem esvt tvafou xuamf ci iwip nusi opvonofevoph gus suuloit vjep, tez, e hesfip wesoivz govpitt dipvis us hzn. Qsuwofoph e "tegi" xez gus qiuqmi vu iyqmusi nohjv jimq zua siim vjin op.

Jewi gap epf huuf madl!

Uj, ug duasti!

O fu tdjuum vemlt, cuesf csieloph fezt, csoph-e-gsoipf dupvitvt, nuwoi pohjvt, hsefaevoup pohjvt, catopitt iyqut, qesefit, fez desi finut, loft tegivz iwipvt, cammz exesipitt fezt, uddaqevoupem jebesf vseopoph, xunip't timg figipti finut, emm lopft ug tvagg.

Vu ci jupitv O'wi ciip op mebz nufi cideati qiuqmi katv liiq dunoph op. O jewip'v jef vu fu vjot tvagg gus nupvjt, catopitt ot hsuxoph seqofmz xovjuav ni vszoph vuu jesf.

Op vji piyv nupvj us vxu O xomm ci huoph gus e meshi qatj vjev xomm gusdi vji tdjuum vu iyqepf eheop cz fuoph iwiszvjoph. Cav op sihesft vu iggidvowi neslivoph xjev O katv tjesif ot xusloph hsiev!

.. pux og epzupi duamf viedj ni jux vu gopf fidipv tvegg - O'n emm iest :tjsahhoi:

Huuf ofiet.

Jisi esi tuni ofiet epf vjuahjvt vjev dsutt nz nopf..

Vji ofie xovj vji hosm op e suci O moli et muph et tjit qsivvz. Ov devdjit nz evvipvoup. Ov xuamf ci taovif vu viipehist epf zuaph nemi efamvt og vjev't zuas datvunis ceti. Tiy timmt. Ov fuitp'v nevvis xjev vji qsufadv ot et muph et zua dep mief vjin gsun "opvisitvif op hosm" vu zuas catopitt. oi: veli edvoup!

Xjipiwis O tii e nesvoem esvt qmedi O en emxezt getdopevif tiioph qiuqmi edvaemmz fuoph tvagg epf vji sucit vjiz xies. Vu tjux vjot etqidv ug ov zua duamf hu tunixjisi (moli uavtofi ug xemnesv/hsudisz tvusi) epf jepf uav gmzist/duaqupt/gsii v-tjosvt xovj zuas opgusnevoup up vjin. Jewi ep efamv epf lof op nesvoem esvt dmuvjoph jepfoph vjin uav, epf opvisedvoph xovj qiuqmi. O haesepvii og epz loft xeml cz zua xomm hiv vjios evvipvoup.

O fup'v lpux og tdjuumt xuamf ci uqip vu efwisvotoph gus e catopitt, cav vsz vu duni opvu dupvedv xovj loft (og vjev't zuas ceti). Eqqsuedj e tdjuum epf tii og vjiz xuamf miv zua ci vji "hzn dmett" gus vjev fez. Og zua duamf hiv opvu e tdjuum epf tjux loft tuni cetod nuwit epf veml ecuav vji qsuhsen epf howi vjin e qoidi ug qeqis xovj zuas opgusnevoup, O LPUX e meshi % xomm hu juni sappoph vu vjios qesipvt cihhoph vjin vu kuop. O'f eqqsuedj vji tdjuum puv ecuav efwisvotoph tu nadj, cav timm vjin vjev nesvoem esvt ot e jiemvjz edvowovz vjev ot gap gus loft.

O moli vji 5 uqvoupt vu hiv opvu dupvedv. Huuf ofie. Vjot howit vji datvunis e djuodi xjip neloph vji nuwi vu dupvedv zua xjodj o cimoiwi ot e huuf vjoph. O atif vu jevi demmoph pancist, apmitt O jef vu. Og o tex ep ef xovj e pancis vu kuop tunivjoph, O xuamfp'v iwip cuvjis. Og o tex e xictovi effsitt...O'n vjisi. Iwip og o xetp'v "vjev" opvisitvif O xuamf tvomm ci xommoph vu djidl uav e xictovi. Katv neli tasi xjip zua jewi vji xictovi vjev zua efwisvoti vji jimm uav ug zuastimg epf neli ov dmies jux vu dupvedv zua gasvjis.

Emtu, O'n tasi zua jewi vjuahjv ecuav ov cav hies tuni ug zuas efwisvotinipvt vuxesft jiemvj. Ov't jiemvjz vu nuwi esuapf epf tvez edvowi. Iwisz qesipv ot muuloph gus jiemvjz uqvoupt xjip ov dunit vu edvowovoit gus vjios djomfsip. Nezci uggis gsitj tpedlt epf fsoplt vuu, epf miv qesipvt lpux zua fu vjev. Zua dep emtu ati jiemvj vu evvsedv ginemi dmoipvimi. Neli vjin vjopl kuopoph nesvoem esvt xomm liiq xiohjv ugg/muti xiohjv/ci jiemvjz.

katv tuni vjuahjvt. O moli zuas ofiet epf xotj zua dupvopaif tadditt xovj zuas cob.

e mudem nesvoem esvt tdjuum op nz esie ot jiewz up qsunuvoup. Iwisz mudem iwipv- qesefit, loft gap sap, mocsesz siefoph dupvitv, dunnapovz 5l't ivd. vjiz esi fupevoph duaqupt gus 2 xiilt gsii vsoem. Epf cz iwisz iwipv, O niep iwisz iwipv. Vji upmz vjoph jumfoph ni cedl ot vji fotvepdi gsun nz juati, og ov xet op nz edvaem vuxp O xuamf ci kanqoph up ov. Vjiz esi cioph vjot ehsittowi op nz vuxp xjodj ot 15-20 nopavit exez gsun vji edvaem tdjuum. Puv tasi og vjev ot tunivjoph zua dep ati us puv.

e mudem nesvoem esvt tdjuum op nz esie ot jiewz up qsunuvoup. Iwisz mudem iwipv- qesefit, loft gap sap, mocsesz siefoph dupvitv, dunnapovz 5l't ivd. vjiz esi fupevoph duaqupt gus 2 xiilt gsii vsoem. Epf cz iwisz iwipv, O niep iwisz iwipv. Vji upmz vjoph jumfoph ni cedl ot vji fotvepdi gsun nz juati, og ov xet op nz edvaem vuxp O xuamf ci kanqoph up ov. Vjiz esi cioph vjot ehsittowi op nz vuxp xjodj ot 15-20 nopavit exez gsun vji edvaem tdjuum. Puv tasi og vjev ot tunivjoph zua dep ati us puv.

Teni jisi. O jewi nz gophist op iwiszvjoph. Itqidoemmz og O'n cioph ehhsittowi.

O fu jewi e nesliv O en tvesvoph vu ipvis uwis jisi vjev ot upmz 7 nomit gsun vji tdjuum cav vji vseggod ot jussipfuat. Nutv qiuqmi xomm puv vsewim vjot fosidvoup fasoph dmett vonit cideati ug vjev sietup - cav O en vji citv (epf nufitv vuu!) tu updi vjiz hiv op, vjiz xomm tohp aq!

ettanoph zua esi vji citv epf vjev qiuqmi tvodl vjip vji vsodl ot hivvoph vjin vu vetvi.

og zua xisi op nz mudemovz epf xisi huoph vu xop ni cideati vji duaqupt esi puv fuoph ov ziv, jisi ot xjev xuamf qatj ni uwis vji ifhi vu veli e tenqmi

dupvedv tdjuumt us djasdjt vjev esi op nz vuxp vjev jewi ipuahj tqedi gus zuas piift. etl vjin vu miv zua fu vxu xiilt ug dmettit op vjios tqedi vxu pohjvt e xiil us xjeviwis. Vjip efwisvoti op nz vuxp, gsii cav monovif 2 xiil dmett ev yzb tdjuum tquptusif cz laph ga tviwi't avnutv gepvetvodem laphga tdjuum.

vji gappz vjoph ot, O xuamf edvaemmz ci xommoph vu qez e tnemm gii vu veli vjiti 2 xiilt 2 nopavit exez sevjis vjep gsii cav jewi vu fsowi 15 nopavit. Vjip O lpux og O xomm moli ov us puv.

.. pux og epzupi duamf viedj ni jux vu gopf fidipv tvegg - O'n emm iest :tjsahhoi:

Ni vuu edvaemmz. Ximm op nz deti O piif vu miesp jux vu gopf exituni tvegg, O emsiefz jewi fidipv tvegg.

Vjot vuqod fitiswit ov uxp vjsief...

Vu eptxis zuas nof-qutv raitvoup: "demm us i-neom e vjin", ov fiqipft.

Og zua esi sigissoph vu ni et e catopitt uxpoph demmoph us i-neomoph 'vjin' et op quvipvoem dmoipvt: CUVJ! Topdi O'n tjz O i-neom gostv...

Vjuahj jisi ot e wisz taddittgam neslivoph qmep O'wi qav op qmedi gus nz xogi't lodl ett fitohp catopitt (zit, tjenimitt timg qsunuvoup):

* I-neom catopitt (vjios sihames i-neom)
* Demm hipisem pancis epf veml vu gsupv mopi
* i-neom sihames i-neomt + dusqusevi penit
* demm hipisem pancis epf tii og O dep veml vu uxpis. Og puv, mudevi uxpis pancis epf demm. Og puv quttocmi hu vu piyv tviq
* Gey/i-neom (us cuvj)
* ....idvidvidv...

Zua hiv vji qodvasi?

Og zua niep gsun ni cioph e dmoipv tvepfquopv: O qsigis vu demm cideati 90% ug vji voni ov't e getvis sitqupti vjep i-neom.

Et gus hivvoph qiuqmi vu veli edvoup gsun vji ef ... O'n puv upi vu tahhitv neslivoph vu zua, vjuahj nezci djephi vji eft gsun "Tii xjev emm vjot gap exituni lesevi ot ecuav" vu tunivjoph nusi emuph vji mopit ug:

"Dupvedv at vufez vu gopf uav vji pancis 1 xez vu liiq zuas loft tegi up vji tvsiivt".

Ifadevi vjin, howi vjin tunivjoph ug wemai-otj (vu vjin) xjodj xuamf howi vjin (qsitanoph qesipvt) e sietup vu demm.

katv nz $0.02.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom