The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketplace vs. Self-Hosted SaaS Launch (A question of Control?) Help needed.

Marketing, social media, advertising

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 17, 2023
Dear Community,

lately I could only participate a little in the forum, because I was very engrossed in my product development. I am now nearing the end of my MVP creation (SaaS) and am facing a challenge that I would like to hear your opinion on. Maybe even people like @eliquid find time, but of course I am happy about any input.

My "problem"/initial situation:

I am currently facing the decision WHERE I should launch my MVP. On the one hand I would have the possibility to launch my software solution via the Chrome Marketplace (as Chrome Extension). On the other hand, I could offer the app as a quasi standalone web app / SaaS, where the app would run under "my" hosting.

I have already talked to a forum member (@Tau Ceti ) who has chosen the Chrome Marketplace as an entry point, but would like to gain more control as time goes on by developing a separate standalone SaaS solution (please correct me here if I have understood this differently/wrongly).

I am now faced with the question of which option to choose and I think it is quite obvious that the Chrome Extension route ignores the need for control. (Variant 1) Of course it would be different if I would choose the standalone variant. (Variant 2) However, I would immediately have eyeballs with variant 2. With variant 1 I would have to provide on top for my own traffic. I think that the probability of success with variant 1 is higher than with variant 2. However, there would also be the possibility that Google kicks me from one day to the next and I would lose my user base.

I would be happy about your feedback and thank you in advance!

Greetings

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Dear Community,

lately I could only participate a little in the forum, because I was very engrossed in my product development. I am now nearing the end of my MVP creation (SaaS) and am facing a challenge that I would like to hear your opinion on. Maybe even people like @eliquid find time, but of course I am happy about any input.

My "problem"/initial situation:

I am currently facing the decision WHERE I should launch my MVP. On the one hand I would have the possibility to launch my software solution via the Chrome Marketplace (as Chrome Extension). On the other hand, I could offer the app as a quasi standalone web app / SaaS, where the app would run under "my" hosting.

I have already talked to a forum member (@Tau Ceti ) who has chosen the Chrome Marketplace as an entry point, but would like to gain more control as time goes on by developing a separate standalone SaaS solution (please correct me here if I have understood this differently/wrongly).

I am now faced with the question of which option to choose and I think it is quite obvious that the Chrome Extension route ignores the need for control. (Variant 1) Of course it would be different if I would choose the standalone variant. (Variant 2) However, I would immediately have eyeballs with variant 2. With variant 1 I would have to provide on top for my own traffic. I think that the probability of success with variant 1 is higher than with variant 2. However, there would also be the possibility that Google kicks me from one day to the next and I would lose my user base.

I would be happy about your feedback and thank you in advance!

Greetings

Why not both?

Chrome Extension, say has... 10 features.

The standalone ( an upgrade potentially ) offers users 27 features at a higher price.

No reason you cant have both.

Use the chrome extension for eyeballs, use the self hosted for upsells and move into your own funnel.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.