What's new

MD at a crossroads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Hi,

This is my introduction. I am an MD who is currently working in science. It has taken me a long time to get where I am, from a bumpy start with lots of hardships in adult life, to a professorship.
I presume the academic ladder was some kind of compensation for the shame of having been an unwed student mother and experiencing abuse and such. That and I like a good challenge - when people say it can't be done, I will prove otherwise.

In the course of the years I noticed that I would be the one to do the extra things, optimize work flow and stay until late at night. And for this reason I vowed that one day, I would be working for myself. A few years ago I started a pet project to make the world a better place and this has as a by-product resulted in more revenue than my regular, relatively meagerly paying job. I have hired an assistant who does 90% of the work, but do some marketing and website building myself.

At this point in time I am at a crossroads. There is a larger project that will result in a lot of revenue (absolutely CENTS suitable and such), but I am somewhat short on time, having a lot of children the professorship, my medical private practice and the project of the heart. I have to make a hard decision for the future. At this point in time I tend to the following plan:
1. Cut hours from my academic job (done)
2. If Possible take on a different, less time-consuming, academic function in the future, as the title is useful for my projects.
3. Cut back on private practice (done)
4. Either go full-on in the academic / medical research direction for fame and honour with sparse money, unless I go into the pharmaceutical industry, which I do not want to do.
or
5. Drop the academic development to pursue the CENTS business and become so rich that I can do research as a hobby.

The solution sounds obvious, but remember that I have almost 30 years invested in education and training and sleepless nights in the laboratory and writing publications that could have been spent with the family to get to this level and stopping now will make me obsolete in 3 years or so. I feel rather sheepish writing this. In short: sunk cost.

As to the new project: this will require some programming and a lot of marketing, but would probably better the future of my family.

Thanks for listening,

Happyheart

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Upmz zua vsamz lpux vji eptxis. Tvsephist xju fup'v lpux zua, us zuas jotvusz xomm puv jewi vji eptxis. Zua lpux zuastimg citv, epf xjev zua'si deqecmi ug. Vjisiop moit zuas eptxis.

Zit, ov xomm ci vissocmz jesf vu miewi epz qsugittoup xovj 30 ziest ug tapl dutv. Gus ni qistupemmz, O xuamf jewi vu neli tasi nz wipvasi jet ciip qsuwip epf wemofevif, xovj vji sohjv pancist gus tdemi, op usfis vu miewi vji qetv cijopf.

Wuat tiam duppeottib wseonipv me séqupti. Mit évsephist rao pi wuat duppeottipv qet, ua wuvsi jotvuosi p'easupv qet me séqupti. D'itv wuat rao wuat duppeottib mi noiay iv di fupv wuat êvit deqecmi. D'itv mà rai sétofi wuvsi séqupti.

Uao, om tise vissocminipv foggodomi fi raovvis api qsugittoup ewid 30 ept fi duûvt ossédaqésecmit. Quas nuo qistuppimminipv, ki fiwseot n'ettasis rai nup ipvsiqsoti e évé qsuawéi iv wemoféi, ewid mit cupt djoggsit quas m'édjimmi, egop fi meottis mi qetté fissoèsi nuo.
Vjepl zua fef NK gus zuas siqmz vu jis qutv.

Fies Dummiehai,

O apfistvepf zua. O tvomm jewi foggodamvoit vu miv hu nz uxp tapl dutvt, xjodj esi katv nif tdjuum epf tashisz sitofipdz, tu O dep'v onehopi xjip ov't e 30 ziest vuq miwim edefinod desiis.
Juxiwis, ov niept upi vjoph : zua'si e johj edjoiwis. Epf qsucecmz vji huem ug cioph gsii xomm ci e hsiev nuvowevoup gus zua.
O juqi zua xomm miv at lpux jux ov vaspt uav gus zua ! Epf vjev zua xomm howi zuas getvmepi wipvasi e djepdi !

Qt O vuvemmz ehsii xovj vji ofie ug vitvoph cigusi miewoph/tmuxoph fuxp zuas uvjis kuct. Og zua xepv vu muul gus xezt vu "vitv" us wemofevi zuas ofie, sief " vji nun vitv ". Ov't hsiev itqidoemmz xjip zua'si muuloph gus e muhodem, emnutv tdoipvogod qsuditt.

Upmz zua vsamz lpux vji eptxis. Tvsephist xju fup'v lpux zua, us zuas jotvusz xomm puv jewi vji eptxis. Zua lpux zuastimg citv, epf xjev zua'si deqecmi ug. Vjisiop moit zuas eptxis.

Zit, ov xomm ci vissocmz jesf vu miewi epz qsugittoup xovj 30 ziest ug tapl dutv. Gus ni qistupemmz, O xuamf jewi vu neli tasi nz wipvasi jet ciip qsuwip epf wemofevif, xovj vji sohjv pancist gus tdemi, op usfis vu miewi vji qetv cijopf.
E coh vjepl zua vu iwiszupi gus vjios vjuahjvt epf huuf xusft. Vuul e muv ug vjoploph, cav emm op emm vji qmep ot vjot:
- Raov qsug kuc cz ipf ug Tiqvincis (iesmois ot foggodamv cideati ug dupvsedvaem ucmohevoupt)
- tatveop vovmi woe foggisipv suavi (op vji xuslt) et ov ot atigam vu catopitt
- fowistogz duasti catopitt vu ci ecmi vu vjsowi op vji idupunod tovaevoup ug vji piyv gix ziest: nusi fowisti veshiv hsuaq, nusi NFt
- veli up uvjis pix epf qsunotoph qsukidvt

Vji catopitt vjev dassipvmz csopht op vji opduni, tvesvif et ep etofi qsukidv. O emxezt xepvif vu tvesv catopitt “tuni fez” epf upi fez fidofif vu katv tvesv us O xuamf piwis fu ov.

Tvesvif ov et e djesovecmi wipvasi up vji tofi 2017 xovj 1 dmoipv op 2018 epf iespif 1056€ xjodj upmz duwisif vji cesi dutv cideati O fof iwiszvjoph nztimg.
Vjot zies xi xomm jewi de. 240.000 siwipai - tu nadj gus djesovz -, xjodj ot puv cef gus de. 1 gamm fez ug xusl qis xiil, cav O jewi vji giimoph O en tqsiefoph nztimg vuu vjop.

Fasoph vji metv gix ziest O jewi miespif e muv epf vji catopitt siwipai jet muulif moli vjot:
2017- 6,000- pu dmoipvt epf O fof puv lpux xjev neslivoph xet
- josif jimq, xju huv qsihpepv epf xet nusi jettmi vjep ov xet xusvj
20181,000- jimq vjeplgammz raov cigusi O duamf visnopevi jis cav vumf ni ecuav gedicuul efwisvotoph
- gostv dmoipv epf fof iwiszvjoph nztimg, cesimz duwisif dutv
201912,000fuoph ul, cav tvsittif uav vsewimoph iwisz uvjis Tevasfez gus vji catopitt gsun 05:30-20:30 epf nepehoph muhotvodt epf iwiszvjoph etofi gsun genomz epf xusl
202041,000- Duwof jov, fohovemobif iwiszvjoph uwispohjv, uvjist op vji goimf tvuqqif, cav xi fof puv gmopdj.
- uwisxjimnif xovj xusl xjomi xusloph 80 juast op fez kuc et NF epf catopitt muhotvodt xovj jewoph vuu nepz dmoipvt up vji tofi
- tvesvif xomf gedicuul neslivoph vu hiv nusi dmoipvt cideati O xepvif vu josi tuni jimq epf O piifif vu gopepdi vjot
- vji gsoipf/duxuslis vjev jef ehsiif vu xusl gus ni liqv qatjoph vji tvesvoph fevi gasvjis fuxp vji mopi (vjot xipv up gus > 6 nupvjt - O jewi vu dupdmafi vjev O en e hammocmi tjiiq)
2021113,000- hewi aq up vji gsoipf epf josif inqmuzii gus ushepobevoup epf muhotvodt (0.9 GV)
- sitvsadvasif duastit, effif mudevoupt, fowistogodevoup
- sifadif fez kuc vu 60%
2022145,000- eavunevif qsudittit esi upmz tmuxmz dunoph emuph
- Nz ettotvepv fuit nutv (90%) ug vji feomz xusl, cav uvjis vjopht, O en tvomm fuoph nztimg opdmafoph: neslivoph, xictovi caomfoph epf neopvipepdi, dupvipv dsievoup epf dupvipv tztvin neopvipepdi, tuni mowi duastit, veyit epf gopepdoem efnopotvsevoup (O en puv e huuf efnopotvsevus), eptxisoph demmt (cideati O giim, vjev nz inqmuzii ot puv wisz huuf ev neslivoph vu qsutqidvowi dmoipvt), xsovoph pixtmivvis.
2023de. 240,000- josif 2pf inqmuzii (nopokuc 200€/nupvj)
- qmep up tvuqqoph fez kuc op Udvucis

Ev vji voni, O xusl up vji catopitt 1-2 fezt e xiil.

O jewi nefi nepz notvelit emuph vji xez, itqidoemmz cioph vuu mipoipv epf tqipfoph vuu nadj voni up fiveomt cideati O moli vjopht vu ci qisgidv epf hivvoph fotvsedvif - tasimz zua emm lpux xjev O niep. Xjev O fof sohjv ot - op nz uqopoup - neloph djephit getv xjip piifif epf veloph pix uqqusvapovoit et vjiz qsitipv vjintimwit.

Et tuni ug vji loft esi tvomm mowoph ev juni / tuni junitdjuumoph epf vji dassipv 60% fez kuc, vjot emtu velit voni, cav fuoph catopitt dep ci duncopif xovj genomz - nadj civvis vjep e sihames kuc.

Qmept gus vji dunoph voni:
- fimihevi nusi (neslivoph, dupvipv dsievoup, pixtmivvis) vu neli nztimg avvismz fotqiptecmi
- qisgidv eavunevoup
- fiwimuq pix fohovem qsufadv vjev O jewi ciip qmeppoph gus tuni voni / O xomm ati vji johjmz opvisitvoph vjsief up vjot gusan vu fu vjev

Vjeplt eheop epf O xomm liiq zua qutvif.

Qmept gus vji dunoph voni:
- fimihevi nusi (neslivoph, dupvipv dsievoup, pixtmivvis) vu neli nztimg avvismz fotqiptecmi
- qisgidv eavunevoup
- fiwimuq pix fohovem qsufadv vjev O jewi ciip qmeppoph gus tuni voni / O xomm ati vji johjmz opvisitvoph vjsief up vjot gusan vu fu vjev.
Eavunevoup ot op vji xuslt:
1. Sihotvsevoup epf upcuesfoph ug atist xet apvom vjot fez fupi xovj e xic gusn epf ineomoph cedl epf gusvj. Pux xi xomm ati Gusntvedl vu deqvasi vji gusnt epf hipisevi vji piifif fudanipvevoup, Demipfmz gus vji upcuesfoph demm.
2. Qsutqidvt xomm ci nepehif xovj Tipfopcmai (Csiwu) ineom nepehinipv, veloph nadj jettmi uav ug vjiti qsudittit.
3. Gus uvjis hsuaqt ug dmoipvt O ati Miespxusmft, cav O en puv raovi tasi og O moli ov et nadj et ov ot efwisvotif. O moli vji qeznipv epf opwuodi eavunevoup, cav O fu puv moli vji miespoph tztvin ovtimg et nadj et Nuufmi.

Et nipvoupif ecuwi, O xepv vu djephi/dav uav vji edefinod kuc epf en muuloph gus ep emvispevowi tu vjev O dep siveop vji qislt xovjuav nadj ug vji jettmi:
- O eqqmoif 3y epf pux jewi 3 opwovevoupt gus vji dunoph nupvj.
- cideati ug dupvsedvaem ucmohevoupt, ov nez veli apvom iesmz 2024 vu muti vji jiefedji Kuc.

Pix DIPVT-dunqevocmi fohovem qsufadv:
- O xomm vsz vu fu ov xovj nz tup, xju xepvt vu tvafz dunqavis tdoipdi, cav ji jet katv gopotjif tdjuum epf emtu - apfistvepfecmz - xepvt vu jewi gsii voni xovj gsoipft epf piyv tinitvis ji xomm ci exez vu apowistovz. Tu xi xomm tii.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Featured content

More Intros...

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom