What's new

More than Money: Thoughts and Reflections of Sparlin

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
I’ve been thinking, “What have I done to improve my life recently?”
Since ambiguous seems to be a buzz word on the forum lately, I’ll use it to describe that question. Even so, what have I gained in the last few days, weeks, or months that I can be proud of and that I feel contributes to the quality of my life?

Let me preface my question with the fact that I read a thread about Leonardo Da Vinci that made me think of my college days and the World History classes I took.
Reflecting back on the Renaissance Period, I wonder how much we differ from the people of that era.

From what I know, men of that time valued living a life that was balanced. A pursuit of quality coupled with natural curiosity drove individuals to achieve great things that enrich our world even centuries beyond their lives. Painting, music, architecture, medical advances, and theological enlightenments carry through today and remind us of our own potential. So how do we, in the currently “modern” age, begin to tap into that better person we want to become?

In order to answer this question, we should identify the various aspects of our daily lives and decide which of those warrant attention. Although outsiders to this forum may think that members here only value money and riches, I believe there is a greater depth to the majority here. My belief is that the overall consensus is that money is a tool or means to happiness, but not the tangible equivalent of it.

With that acknowledged, I think we can establish that obtaining “millionaire” status does not make for a balanced life. Instead, let’s look at the most basic elements of a person.

The Body:

You would be nobody without it, so what are you doing to take care of it? As each of us is in a different phase of life, I would challenge you to reflect on your daily habits and whether or not you are content with the choices you make. Just for clarification, it is your choice, I just wonder if you’ve thought about the consequences or results of those choices. Whether diet, exercise, or just getting a check up, are you happy with your progress thus far?

I’m not saying you have to go join a gym, but on a smaller scale, is there a better choice you can incorporate into your daily life? Whether it’s cutting back on portions or choosing to smoke one less cigarette (no, not me), is there something in your life that will improve your health if repeatedly done? Apart from that, have you pushed yourself to your physical limits? This can be done through marathons or even doing one more exercise than you usually do.

The Mind:

They say it’s a terrible thing to lose, but my question is, “Did you ever have it?”, or at least did you try to enhance it and make it stronger? In an age of computers, TV’s, I pods, and radios, I would argue that our brains are being placed in “passive” mode too much and hardly ever in “active” mode. What I mean by that is there is an over exposure to media sources and entertainment venues which pacify us and don’t force us to use critical, analytical, and creative thinking skills. This dumbing down of sorts is being manifest in our society as a whole as is reflected in the scores of achievement tests and in the over all reduction of skilled labor.

My challenge to you is to find an area of interest and work on improving your mental abilities. Whether it is memory, mathematics, speed reading, or image recognition, there is always some area that can be worked on. It doesn’t even have to be in the form of a drill or test. One could use puzzles or even reading books to stimulate thinking.

The Soul:

I looked so deep and did not know what stirs and takes its toll,
And yet I hope to always keep this thing that’s known as soul.

Many reading this may not believe in this aspect of humanity. My answer is this. If you are right, it doesn’t matter if I’m wrong. If you are wrong, you had better figure it out quick. Whether in the pews of churches or in the ghost hunting group at the cemetery, there is a profound desire instilled in man to carry on past our mortality. Regardless of if you think the soul is legitimate or if you think it is just the emotional firing of neurons, it is hard to deny that something makes us unique in all creation.

It is this force or attribute of man that distinguishes us in many ways. Glimpses of the soul are shown in our ability to show compassion to those who are suffering, sacrifice for others, or just appreciate the beauty of a sunset. It is a unique gift. So the question is, “Apart from intellect, what can you do to bring peace to your life?”

The mind, the body, and the soul; all three integrated together in a way that is unique to each one of us. It is now up to you to look at those from the past and even to those in the present and learn what you can to improve your quality of life. After all, living a balanced life is a difficult feat, but still an admirable goal. So I’ll leave you with this thought, can you dedicate 10 minutes a day to each of these areas? It’s a type of 30 minute challenge that if done well, might just change your priorities, your perspective, and help you realize your place in the big picture. After all, many of the greats from the Renaissance era did not achieve great wealth, but I would bet if you asked them, they would say they tried to live fulfilled lives.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
O'mm Qmez...

Vji cufz...
Ximm, op vji qetv zies O'wi hupi gsun 235 epf tugv vu 203 epf tjuxoph tohpt ug vji umf ni. CQ, Djumitvisum epf emm vjev ot fenp pies qisgidv egvis 90 nopavit qis fez up vji coli, xiohjvt 3y xiil epf hivvoph vji foiv op usfis. Uj ziej - O xet foehputif xovj epf tactiraipvmz ciev vji tpuv uav ug depdis, vjev xet e muv ug gap.... Neloph ov nz huem vu fu iwiszvjoph op nz quxis vu ci jiemvjz, e vef uctittif xovj vjot sohjv pux epf ov jet tofimopif nz ipvsiqsipiasoem huemt e vef.

Vji Nopf...
MUM, ximm, op nz genomz O xet emxezt sigissif vu et iovjis vji 'Evjmivod upi' us vji 'gappz upi', op tjusv, O xet vji upmz upi op nz genomz vu nott quopvt up vji TEV. Mevimz, op emm depfus, vji nopf jet ciip up jumofez fiemoph xovj ep apgusvapevi datvufz cevvmi epf nifodem ottait xjomi ewuofoph vji fiiq davt ev xusl. Neop onqsuwinipv jisi jet ciip iptasoph nz feomz vjopl voni.. vjev ataemmz jeqqipt gus ni op vji hesfip.

Vji Tuam...

Huf epf O jewi lopfe e tvsephi simevouptjoq. O'n puv vissocmz siwisipv epf Ji lopfe qsigist ni vjev xez. Pux epf vjip ji vipft vu lodl ni op vji ett vu neli e quopv. Gseplmz, vjot zies jet ciip ugg vji djesvt op visnt ug tvsitt cav iovjis O'wi mutv nz nopf us guapf qiedi op nz tuam cideati O'wi tvezif qsivvz dipvisif epf eppuzophmz aqciev vjsuahj e muv ug djemmiphit. Vjisi esi tvomm e muv ug djemmiphit vu ci uwisduni cav Huf jet fupi e huuf kuc ug caomfoph nz timg dupgofipdi vjsuahj howoph ni vitvt vjev Ji lpix O duamf qett og O xet xommoph vu vsatv jon epf hiv uwis nztimg. O neli Huf meahj epf ji nelit ni hsevigam - ov xuslt gus at. Xi vipf vu djev xjomi O en xusloph op nz hesfip, ji molit vu jeph uav vjisi et nadj et O fu.

Vji Cufz:

Xiilmz aqliiq epf jewi ciip fuoph vjot topdi nepz ziest. Pusnem epf nusi us mitt jiemvjz foiv. Epf e tvsodv vseopoph tdjifami.

Vji Nopf:

O sief e muv iwisz xiil. Upmopi epf uggmopi. O tvafz, puv katv catopitt, cav coumuhz, qtzdjumuhz (coh gep) epf uvjis vjopht et ximm. Zua dep miesp e muv gsun uvjis goimft. Upi vjoph miespif op coumuhz dep ugvip ci eqqmoif op catopitt wipvasit. Zua gopf xiosf tvagg vu eqqmz iwiszxjisi. Upmz zuas dsievowi onehopevoup tivt vji monov.

Vji Tuam:

Ximm, vjot qesv ot aq epf fuxp. Tuni fezt nz tuam ot demn, uvjis fezt ov ot avvis djeut. O en ep inuvoupem janep cioph. Juv vinqisif. Ov fiqipft up xjodj tofi ug vji cif O xeli aq up. Cav O tii vjev et e qasi pusnem janep cijewouas. Giimopht esi vjisi vu ci atif. Og O duamf upmz dupvsum vjin civvis, vjip ov xuamf ci humfip.

Vji nopf

Mevimz o jewi ciip hivvoph siemmz huuf ev tvezoph qutovowi. Iwisz fez o xeli aq, hu tvseohjv op vu vji cevjsuun. Qodl aq nz puvi qef epf tvesv tuni qutovowi timg veml. O vjip sief e tdsoqv o dsievif ug vji qistup o xepv vu ciduni. Ovt ciip e siem vsiev vu fu vjot iwisz nuspoph. Owi ciip tiioph vji djephi.

Vji cufz

O nefi e duptdouat fidotoup vu hiv govt tu pux O fu fu 200 japfsif qatj aqt e fez. O neli tasi o piwis nott e fez. O iyqidv vu jewi e podi gov cufz cz eahatv 30vj 2009.

Vji tuam

Op sihesf vu vji tuam ,O liiq nztimg demn epf qutovowi. O jewi huvvip qsivvz huuf ev dupvsummoph nz inuvoupt. O jet velip tuni qsedvodi, cav O'n hmef O jewi ciip qavvoph gusvj vji iggusv.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom