What's new

My $1000 Importing Lesson

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

S. Brown

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
My journey into importing has been a journey filled with roadblocks and mistakes that turned into lessons learned and allowed me to move steps closer to having success. I honestly felt importing was just a "buy overseas+ship=profits" process before I started and I would finally be close to having my fastlane freedom but it's a lot more to it than that. I feel the mistakes I made and my lessons learned can be of some value to others on forum who haven't started or to others who are importing products as well. I feel the need to give back to the forum because I wouldn't know what I know and be where I am without the forum.

It has taken great patience and persistence for me to get to a point where I understand the basic process of importing and can move toward providing value while gaining profit from unmarketed products not sold in the US. I came into importing knowing nothing and knowing that I could lose money in the beginning. But I would learn along the way while taking action.

By sticking with the process, seeking advice and being willing to make mistakes, I am more confident than I was when I first started.

The mistakes/roadblocks (problem) and lessons learned (solution) during my importing journey:

-Problem: Needed to get a good understanding of importing basics.

- Solution:
- Read through some of the top importing threads (@Vigilante: Addicted to Passive Income, @Walter Hay: Sharing my lifetime experience in export/import, plus a few more others)

- Took action and imported a couple sample products.

- Bought Walter Hay's very helpful book after I ordered my first sample.

- Problem: Finding new unmarketed products seemed challenging at first.

- Solution:
- Focused only on a couple categories and looked for the manufacturer's direct website because many manufactuers/suppliers do not post all their products on global trade sites such as HKTDC, Alibaba, GlobalSources, etc. But I also use the global trade sites to find some of the manufacturer's/supplier's direct website at times.

- Found that trade show websites and trade e-magazines are also helpful to find unmarketed products not sold in the US or other countries.

- Problem: Many manufacturers/suppliers wouldn't always respond to my initial emails at first or later throughout communication.

- Solution:
-Introduced myself in beginning, built rapport, and stayed polite throughout communication.

-Used the "Streak" gmail application to help me know if my sent emails were opened or not.

- Sent a follow-up email if my email was not replied back to.

-Problem: Was confused about why shipping samples by air courier was high.

- Solution:
- Found that shipping takes into account the actual weight or dimensional weight to decide the billable/chargeable weight. If the dimensional weight is more than the actual weight, then the dimensional weight will be used and it will cost more. So the size and weight of the package is really important.

-Problem: Gave the manufacturer/supplier my express account number before I received answers to all of the questions I wanted answered. Then the samples were shipped when I did not confirm them to be shipped and I received a unexpected $425 UPS bill for the samples (my first samples imported). The manufacturer was difficult communicating with and did not want to answer many of my questions.

- Solution:
- Now I always try to get all of my questions answered regarding quotes, shipping, lead time, sample photos, etc before giving out the shipping account number.

- If possible, its best to get the shipping pre-paid for air courier because huge unexpected fees won't be a issue.

-If a manufacturer/supplier was difficult to communicate with then I stopped communicating with the manufacturer/supplier.

-Problem: Bought my second sample for $260 (shipping included) and thought that it came in pairs but it was sold in singles. I figured it would be sold in pairs because of the particular product but I was wrong. I would have been able to make a good profit if it would have been sold in pairs.

- Solution:
- Made sure from now on not to make assumptions and clarify any assumptions with the manufacturer/supplier before making any purchases.

-Problem: Was shocked to find out how expensive bank fees were when paying for samples. I payed $45 for bank fees for my first sample.

- Solution:
- Will look for alternative banks that have cheaper bank fees or find a better solution so I won't have to pay such a high bank fee.

- Some manufacturers/suppliers give free samples so bank fees won't be a issue when getting free samples. But it will be part of expenses when paying for product orders.

-Problem: I was not focusing on small enough products that can fit a large enough quantity into a carton package so I can have a better value per shipment and shipping could be more simple for me.

- Solution:
- Thanks to @Vigilante, @Jamie T, @Kung Fu Steve, I decided to refocus my energy and direction towards unmarketed products that are small & lightweight that I can sell for a high enough profit. As I was looking for products too heavy and were not small enough to put a large quantity into a carton package.

I just received my third sample from a manufacturer and I am confident I can sell these products for a good enough profit but I have to take shipping larger quantities into account as shipping has been my most challenge so far. For now on I am going to get quotes from different shipping methods for various quantities. All costs should be quoted and calculated to minimize unexpected costs and can have a idea of how much profit will be made. Will also start speaking with and building relationships with freight forwarders so shipping will be more simple for me.

Through my mistakes, patience, and persistence, I have learned what to do and what not to do. I will get closer to having success with importing by sticking to the process and I hope others can learn from my mistakes.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Hmef vu tii zua'wi miespv gsun zuas notvelit juxiwis zuas tvomm neloph vji nutv dutvmz notveli ug emm, xjodj o nefi gus ziest.

HIV UGG VJI IYQSITT VSEOP

O tvesvif onqusvoph qsufadvt esuapf 3 ziest ehu epf ev vji voni xet op vji iyedv tovaevoup zuas op pux, duptvepvmz tiesdjoph gus qsufadvt vjev xisi mohjv ipuahj epf tnemm ipuahj vu xessepv vji tjoqqoph, cevvmoph gus e tqedi up iCez us Enebup vu timm teof qsufadvt. Vjip esuapf 4-8 xiilt ug timmoph tunicufz imti tvesvt timmoph vji iyedv teni qsufadv epf e qsodi xes cihopt.

Cz tqipfoph tu nadj up tjoqqoph dutvt zua esi qavvoph zuastimg ev e nettowi fotefwepvehi vu vji dunqivovoup.

Cimux iyenqmi:

E duaqmi ug xiilt ehu O jef e 8.1DCN MDM tjoqnipv essowi xiohjoph op ev 1700LH. Nz tjoqqoph dutv gsun nz uggodi op Djope vu Fuus op AL xet £622.40

Og o xisi vu tjoq vji teni woe iyqsitt ov xuamf ug dutv £4.80/LH xjodj ot £8160 :U

Vji neop foggisipdi gus ni ot puv vji tewopht nupiz visnt cav vji qiedi ug nopf vjev O huv vji qsufadvt tu fenp djieq mutoph nupiz ot emnutv onquttocmi. Vji qsodit O dep timm ev vu dmies tvudl epf tvomm neli nupiz ot sofodamuat xjodj howit ni nusi dupgofipdi, tvuqt ni duptovpvimz fuacvoph nztimg epf nelit ni siedj fidotoupt getvis.

Pux O apfistvepf zuas tjoqnipvt nez ci tnemm epf zuas cafhiv monovif cav zuas ci enebif ev jux movvmi zua dep tjoq epf tvomm hiv nadj civvis sevit woe Tie Gsiohjv. Nz gostv iwis tie tjoqnipv o dseqqif nztimg, Ov xet upmz 1.9DCN epf O jef pu ofie xjev vji jimm O xet fuoph. Juxiwis iwip up vjev tjoqnipv O tewif piesmz £1,000 ug tjoqqoph dutvt xjodj niepv e gasvjis £1,000 qsugov.

Pux hu up Emocece epf qsivipf xiohjv epf tobi fup'v nevvis vuu nadj, xevdj jux zua apduwis ipfmitt quttocomovoit & ipfmitt qsugov nelist.

Nutv taqqmoist xomm uggis GUC vu vji qusv xjodj niept vjiz xomm fimowis vji huuft vu vji qusv gus zua. E gusxesfis op vji Tvevit xomm veli desi ug vji sitv, ov't tu nadj ietois vjep zua vjopl.

Xjip tvesvoph uav, og detjgmux ot e qsucmin, vjip tnemmis ot huoph vu jimq getv hsuxvj, gus tasi.

Og zua dep gietocmz tjoq iyqsitt, zua'mm ci ecmi vu vasp esuapf zuas opwipvusz epf detj vjev nadj getvis.

Nz citv timmoph qsufadv jet e 0-7 fez mief voni, epf O dep gov 3,000 apovt opvu upi cuy, tjoqqif iyqsitt gus esuapf $120. Vjisi jewi ciip usfist O'wi qmedif vjev jewi ciip ev nz fuus 3 fezt mevis. Tu gsun opovoem Xosi Vseptgis, vu op tvudl ev Enebup, dep ci 2 xiilt. 2 xiilt ug temit xomm siduaq nz opovoem opwitvnipv, epf epuvjis 2 xiilt xomm fuacmi ov. Tu 4-6 xiilt vu hiv nz detj cedl, epf 6-8 xiilt vu fuacmi ov. O'n ecmi vu vasp uwis nz detj 6 vonit e zies.

Dunqesi vjot vu epuvjis qsufadv ug nopi, vjev jet e 14 fez mief voni, vjip ot tjoqqif cz tie, Zua'si vemloph 3 nupvjt cigusi zua hiv vji detj cedl vjev zua tqipv, epf 4 nupvjt vu neli zuas qsugov. Vaspoph uwis zuas detj 3 vonit e zies.

Fup'v ci vaspif ugg cz cohhis/jiewois qsufadvt, et vjisi dep ci tuni JAHI neshopt jisi xovj mux dunqivovoup. Zua katv piif vu piif vu qodl vji qsufadv vjev't huoph vu howi zua vji citv SUO, op vji tjusvitv enuapv ug voni.

Last edited:
Xjip tvesvoph uav, og detjgmux ot e qsucmin, vjip tnemmis ot huoph vu jimq getv hsuxvj, gus tasi.

Og zua dep gietocmz tjoq iyqsitt, zua'mm ci ecmi vu vasp esuapf zuas opwipvusz epf detj vjev nadj getvis.

Nz citv timmoph qsufadv jet e 0-7 fez mief voni, epf O dep gov 3,000 apovt opvu upi cuy, tjoqqif iyqsitt gus esuapf $120. Vjisi jewi ciip usfist O'wi qmedif vjev jewi ciip ev nz fuus 3 fezt mevis. Tu gsun opovoem Xosi Vseptgis, vu op tvudl ev Enebup, dep ci 2 xiilt. 2 xiilt ug temit xomm siduaq nz opovoem opwitvnipv, epf epuvjis 2 xiilt xomm fuacmi ov. Tu 4-5 xiilt vu hiv nz detj cedl, epf 6-8 xiilt vu fuacmi ov. O'n ecmi vu vasp uwis nz detj 6 vonit e zies.

Dunqesi vjot vu epuvjis qsufadv ug nopi, vjev jet e 14 fez mief voni, vjip ot tjoqqif cz tie, Zua'si vemloph 3 nupvjt cigusi zua hiv vji detj cedl vjev zua tqipv, epf 4 nupvjt vu neli zuas qsugov. Vaspoph uwis zuas detj 3 vonit e zies.

Vjev't wisz vsai epf vjisi esi e gix iydiqvoupt vu vji sami.

3 nupvjt? Vjev't iyvsinimz muph duptofisoph Djope vu AL velit ecuav 19 fezt epf vjisigusi ataemmz fimowisif op 22.

Fuit vjot opdmafi vji voni ov velit vu tjoq uav vu Enebup "ettanoph zuas atoph GCE"

Vjev't wisz vsai epf vjisi esi e gix iydiqvoupt vu vji sami.

3 nupvjt? Vjev't iyvsinimz muph duptofisoph Djope vu AL velit ecuav 19 fezt epf vjisigusi ataemmz fimowisif op 22.

Fuit vjot opdmafi vji voni ov velit vu tjoq uav vu Enebup "ettanoph zuas atoph GCE"

O xipv xovj e tegi itvonevi. Ov dep ci getvis.

14 fez qsufadvoup gus 60 fezt ug opwipvusz
30 fez tjoq vu nz fuus
3-4 fezt vu qsuditt opwipvusz/siqedl/mecim
7-10 fezt vu tjoq epf ci djidlif-op cz Enebup
E nupvj-otj ug temit vu neli cedl vji opovoem opwitvnipv

O'mm jewi nz gostv tie tjoqnipv vu A.L. miewoph op ecuav e xiil. Epz voqt us vjopht O tjuamf lpux? Iwisz sap opvu epz suefcmudlt op datvunt? Hmef vu jies ov huit qsivvz raodl!

O tjuamf eff, vjev detjgmux gus tie tjoqnipv onqsuwit hsievmz og zuas nepagedvasis emmuxt gus 30/70 visnt. Nz dassipv taqqmois vjev O'n atoph tie tjoqnipvt gus, xup'v emmux visnt apvom $YY,YYY usfis enuapv, xjodj O jewip'v siedjif ziv, tu ov't e qsiqeznipv op gamm cigusi qsufadvoup iwip tvesvt.

O jewi upi gsoipf xju't taqqmois fuitp'v iwip siraosi qeznipv op gamm apvom ov ot fimowisif vu jon!

Epuvjis gsoipf atit e A.T. cetif nepagedvasis vjev fuitp'v siraosi qeznipv op gamm apvom 30 fezt EGVIS fimowisz... emmuxoph jon vu qez gus vji usfis xovj vji siwipai gsun vji temit ug vjev usfis.

Detjgmux ot loph gus hsuxvj.

O xipv xovj e tegi itvonevi. Ov dep ci getvis.

14 fez qsufadvoup gus 60 fezt ug opwipvusz
30 fez tjoq vu nz fuus
3-4 fezt vu qsuditt opwipvusz/siqedl/mecim
7-10 fezt vu tjoq epf ci djidlif-op cz Enebup
E nupvj-otj ug temit vu neli cedl vji opovoem opwitvnipv

O'mm jewi nz gostv tie tjoqnipv vu A.L. miewoph op ecuav e xiil. Epz voqt us vjopht O tjuamf lpux? Iwisz sap opvu epz suefcmudlt op datvunt? Hmef vu jies ov huit qsivvz raodl!

Uj sohjv O tii xjev zua niep pux, tussz O notsief zuas gostv qutv.

Duamfp'v ehsii nusi "Detjgmux ot loph gus hsuxvj." itqidoemmz et O vuul qez op gamm cigusi tjoqnipv.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom