The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My music learning startup-Advice or feedback really appreciated

Jonny87

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 31, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of Millionaire Fastlane and just joined this forum.

I'm a keyboard/piano player with relative pitch (can play anything by ear) and I play in a touring band. I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of pop music and all the theory and techniques behind it. My friends have said I'm like a 'human jukebox".

I've been reading a lot of books and websites over the last few years about making information products and I've read a lot of books about online businesses-4 hour work week, click millionaires, crush it, ramit sethi's zero to launch...it made sense to me that my musical ability was my most valuable skill I could teach and sell online.

So my idea is to start an online business revolving around teaching aspiring electronic music producers, djs, music students, artists about music theory so that they can learn to play their favourite songs by ear and gain a deeper understanding of the music they listen to which also enables them to be much better equipped at writing their own music.

The basic idea is to apply music theory, which intimidates many beginning musicians, to pop music and their favourite music to make it more fun, applicable and useful.

I've done some research to validate this idea and it seems that there are thousands of people who would like to learn this.

There are already sites like "Piano Couture"; https://piano-couture.com/.

This site teaches customers pop-piano (as opposed to classical), by breaking down the strategies and techniques behind playing songs on piano. I want to do a similar thing with playing by ear.

In my opinion, the fact that "Piano Couture" has many subscribers validates the market for my product and confirms that learning pop music and the theory behind it, is an actual need and therefore effective teaching of it would be a valuable skill.

I have been on forums such as HookTheory (a similar site) and talked to some music producers via email and they said understanding how to play their favourite tunes and playing by ear would be a 'dream come true' and definitely something they would pay for.

Where I would appreciate some advice and feedback is with regard to how to choose the best format to create a product or course and the best way to build an email list of interested prospects, or if that's even the best way to approach this.

At some point, I'd like to have a YouTube Channel where I deconstruct pop songs and the theory behind aural training, as well as a Facebook fan page; possibly a blog too. I'd like to build up fans, then offer a private paid course or access to pdfs explaining how to play by ear.

But I think the most important thing to focus on is building the actual product, and making it something that potential customers actually need and want, while making it different from what others are doing.

I have a lot of ideas about this but no clear plan to implement the process of building the product and improving it based on feedback.

I created a landing page earlier this year too;

http://unbouncepages.com/supersonic/

I got some feedback from Start-up Bros about the page..they said it looks great apart from the highlighting and shadowing of the words, which I'll change.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, especially from other musicians.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.