What's new

My problem finding problems (+ free list of problems from Twitter and other places)

Idea threads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

GivingItMyAll

New Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Unscripted!
Hello all,

If you'd just like to see the list of problems, scroll down to the bottom : )

I'm just recently joined this forum after reading UNSCRIPTED and am reading it a second time. Grateful to be here.

I'm having a hard time understanding how to find problems and also how to evaluate whether the problem is even worth solving. I'd like to ask for some guidance. I know that the CENTS framework is designed to aid me in knowing if an idea is worth pursuing based on how difficult it is to enter, how much of your business you can control etc. etc. but I find it hard to assign the problems I find these values.

I have so many questions about problems, take the following process for example:
- In my own life I have trouble sleeping (problem seems good)
- On twitter I come across people complaining about not being able to sleep (problem seems good)
- Come up with idea of an app that helps you diagnose what your sleeping problem is, gives you recommendations, and tracks your progress (problem seems good)
- Research and find out that the app store is flooded with sleep aids (problem seems bad)
- Realize that making an app has a low barrier to entry (problem seems bad)
- Search google trends for terms like "cant sleep," "trouble sleeping" etc. and see the trend line isn't rising (problem seems bad)
- I get discouraged and look for a new problem

This process happens for every problem I come across. Perhaps my search is too broad, since I usually just search for terms like "I hate", "I wish there was", etc. I know there is an error in how I'm going about this because if there was no need for innovation people wouldn't be complaining about these things.

Another area I know my problem finding abilities could improve are in "cold calls." For the past 3 days I've been calling 20 businesses a day and saying something like "Hi, I'm doing research for my business degree. Blah blah. What issues does your business struggle with?" I don't know how to properly probe these business owners for problems. If they can't think of any problems off the top of their heads, I try being more targeted with my questions/ offering solutions, but often the response is either defensive or evidence that my solution wouldn't work for them. For example, once I was talking to a boxing gym that hasn't produced winning fighters and the owner mentioned that his trainees don't practice on their own causing them to make the same mistakes. My solution: an app where he could assign "homework routines." The app would track their progress and give them pointers on technique. He thought the idea was silly since if they don't have the fire in them in the gym, why would they have it at home? Fair.

How can I improve and find a good problem to solve? Do you have any advice for me? I want to execute something as fast as possible and not waste to much time just planning and thinking.

/// LIST OF PROBLEMS///
I'm glad I can give back to you guys even though I'm relatively new here! I've come across these problems by calling businesses and searching on twitter.

- Hiding bruises from self inflicted harm
- Hard to schedule time with tattoo artists (barbers too)
- Martial arts students keep on making the same mistakes
- People feeling anxious to go to martial arts classes
- Difficult to build good sleeping habits since there are distractions everywhere
- When you're sick and lose your appetite
- Having a spending problem as an adult
- Studying is difficult, how do you bring yourself to study longer
- Wanting to get into STEM but not liking the math involved
- Fan art not looking the like the real thing
- Tired of having to appear strong and seem like everything is under control
- Finding a friend with similar interests is difficult
- Many women complaining about stomach issues
- Prescription drug prices are super high
- Many people wish they knew how to dance
- People who've been damaged by psychiatric drugs can't find support
- Can't find tall men to date
- Can't find people with interesting hobbies to talk to
- Hard to connect with other concert goers
- Those "explainer" videos with the moving hand that draws stuff are ugly (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG-1IRwYWqU
)
- Wish there was a personal trainer for sleep

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Vsz vu ofipvogz qsucmint vjev:

1. Giim aporai vu zua (jopv: vjiz esi qsucecmz puv, cav zua xomm ci nusi eqv vu tumwi ov epf vjisi ot e podji nesliv gus ov)
2. Zua vjopl zua duamf tumwi sietupecmz ximm (pu qesvoem tumavoupt)
3. Zua xomm neli nupiz og zua timm vji tumavoup, epf qsigisecmz, vji tumavoup xomm emnutv timm ovtimg
4. Vji tumavoup siraosit vsoem-epf-issus. Ov deppuv ci guapf op e viyvcuul us e raodl huuhmi tiesdj

Vji qsucmint zua motv fu puv tiin vu niiv vjiti dsovisoe. Vjiz esi puv tqidogod ipuahj. Og zua jewi e qsucmin moli "Jewoph e tqipfoph qsucmin et ep efamv" zua natv qmedi ov op podji devihusoit. Xjodj efamvt? Xunip civxiip ehi 20-49 op vji dovz O mowi op. Xjev fu vjiz tqipf up? Upmopi qasdjetit xovj dsifov desft. Xjz fu vjiz fu ov? Tjusv-visn hsevogodevoup, tjuqqoph effodvoup.

Pux zua dep cihop vu tumwi vji qsucmin xovj nusi qsidotoup. Tqidogod qsucmint epf tqidogod tumavoupt.

Vsz vu ofipvogz qsucmint vjev:

1. Giim aporai vu zua (jopv: vjiz esi qsucecmz puv, cav zua xomm ci nusi eqv vu tumwi ov epf vjisi ot e podji nesliv gus ov)
2. Zua vjopl zua duamf tumwi sietupecmz ximm (pu qesvoem tumavoupt)
3. Zua xomm neli nupiz og zua timm vji tumavoup, epf qsigisecmz, vji tumavoup xomm emnutv timm ovtimg
4. Vji tumavoup siraosit vsoem-epf-issus. Ov deppuv ci guapf op e viyvcuul us e raodl huuhmi tiesdj

Vji qsucmint zua motv fu puv tiin vu niiv vjiti dsovisoe. Vjiz esi puv tqidogod ipuahj. Og zua jewi e qsucmin moli "Jewoph e tqipfoph qsucmin et ep efamv" zua natv qmedi ov op podji devihusoit. Xjodj efamvt? Xunip civxiip ehi 20-49 op vji dovz O mowi op. Xjev fu vjiz tqipf up? Upmopi qasdjetit xovj dsifov desft. Xjz fu vjiz fu ov? Tjusv-visn hsevogodevoup, tjuqqoph effodvoup.

Pux zua dep cihop vu tumwi vji qsucmin xovj nusi qsidotoup. Tqidogod qsucmint epf tqidogod tumavoupt.
vjot ot huuf efwodi.

Ov tiint moli vji citv upit duni gsun opfatvsz lpuxmifhi - qesvodamesmz xjip zua jimf e kuc op ep opfatvsz gostv. Vjev't xjip zua'si up vji "optofi" ug xjev siemmz nelit tvagg vodl epf zua xomm gopf qsucmint vjev esip'v ietomz huuhmi-ecmi.

Cav vjev eqqsuedj siraosit xusl, epf iyqisoipdi!

Jo @HowophOvNzEmm
Vji qsucmint zua jewi motvif esi emm tudoem, us qjztodem us nipveM jiemvj qsucmint.

Apmitt zuas esi raemogoif us tlommif op fiemoph xovj tadj ottait, zua xomm gopf ov wisz jesf vu timm tumavoupt.

Og zua xepv vu tiv aq e catopitt zua piif vu miesp ecuav qsucmint ipduapvisif cz catopittit meshi epf tnemm. Vji tahhitvoup cz @vjidjutip1 ot e huuf upi.

Op nz uxp deti, O xuslif op ep opfatvsz vjev veahjv ni jux vu tumwi qsucmint op nepagedvasoph, epf O xipv up vu uqisevi e taddittgam opfatvsoem vsuacmitjuuvoph catopitt gus 20 ziest,

Xemvis

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom