The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My SaaS business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Welcome to anyone who is reading!

I am using this progress thread as:

• A way to stay on track (Although i keep a personal journal of the day's progress in a notebook..more on that soon)
  • A tool to motivate anyone who may be able to relate
  • A place where i can look back at the end and re-live the most integral moments on my steps of progression to success. My version of success

Let's Begin!

It all began on a cloudy 10th day in the month of April, with Spring of 91' fast approaching i poked my head into the world at 7:57am... Haha, Just kidding not starting that far back:)

Thread
This thread is about my journey of starting and building a SaaS company from scratch, with NO prior coding experience whatsoever! motivational!

About Me
Currently 24 Years old. Have a Beautiful Girlfriend of 5 years. Have a Motivation and desire kicking inside me like no other. I am goal oriented, and plan on hitting certain life goals. Read The MFL.

Not sure if this is true of most entrepreneurs but here goes..

Come from a family where we grew up and parents were always 1 something from broke, My parents did the best they could to take care of us (3 kids) and i am grateful for it. Never the biggest fan of school, pretty much went so i could play sports (baseball).

Started working at the age of 16, since... i have had approximately if i am not forgetting any, around 12 different jobs. Ranging from a waiter at Applebees to Film Coating pills in a pharmaceutical company overnight to a top salesmen in GNC to current Personal Trainer (only as side work now though)

Quit all of these jobs because they flat out all sucked. Ugh i was a drone.

At the age of 19 i began Wrestling Professionally which i actually wrote a thread about. I took that from just learning how to do it, to traveling the country with the 2nd biggest company in the world (Ring of Honor) i had awesome and excellent experiences and wouldn't trade my time doing it for the world. I Attended two WWE tryouts, Wrestled a WWE Hall-Of-Famer and met many many more. I have plenty of stories if i ever get the chance to one day write a book, including a bomb i would drop about my crazy rollercoaster personal life that would drop some peoples jaws(an experience i had that would change anyones life)

On my 24th birthday, my mom called me to tell me we were being evicted from our apartment because of rent raises, but they were giving her another apt. elsewhere(1 BR).

ANNNNNDDDDD SCREEEEEEEEEEEEECHHHH go the tires on my Wrestling Career.

I had to find a place to live which meant taking up more clients at the gym, which meant having to stop wrestling (woe is me).
This definitely sucked but as i look back it is molding the person i am becoming.

Me and my Girlfriend moved out into our own apartment and i got to work. Thinking of idea after idea. I landed on one but to make it work i needed an investment for sure. Yep, i was going to hire someone to code it and together we would make it happen. Except one thing, Who The F*ck was going to give my unproved, no venture starting a*s any money?

Thankfully it was around this time that i finished reading The Millionaire Fastlane and i would honestly and sincerely like to thank @MJ DeMarco for every bit of that wonderful book and all i learned. It has honestly changed my life for the better. So, MJ... Thank you.

At this point
My girlfriends mom offered for us to move into her house with her so we can save money. Almost like Stars aligning, I am taking this opportunity to teach myself to code the SaaS business myself in Swift which is apples native iOS language.

I started learning to code with no prior experience 3 months ago, and i am happy to say i am understanding at a phenomenal rate and even actually enjoy it. I have around 10% of the SaaS coded already and it truly is a fulfilling experience to be able to think of something, then go and will it into creation. Which brings me to today..

This post has been long-winded enough, now you guys and gals know a bit about me and i will post my first progress report a little later tonight. Feel free to ask me any questions and i hope you find insightful information throughout this thread and journey, as well as some motivation.

-Matt

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015

• A way to stay on track (Although i keep a personal journal of the day's progress in a notebook..more on that soon)
  • A place where i can look back at the end and re-live the most integral moments on my steps of progression to success. My version of success

Let's Begin!

It all began on a cloudy 10th day in the month of April, with Spring of 91' fast approaching i poked my head into the world at 7:57am... Haha, Just kidding not starting that far back:)

Thread
This thread is about my journey of starting and building a SaaS company from scratch, with NO prior coding experience whatsoever! motivational!

About Me
Currently 24 Years old. Have a Beautiful Girlfriend of 5 years. Have a Motivation and desire kicking inside me like no other. I am goal oriented, and plan on hitting certain life goals. Read The MFL.

Come from a family where we grew up and parents were always 1 something from broke, My parents did the best they could to take care of us (3 kids) and i am grateful for it. Never the biggest fan of school, pretty much went so i could play sports (baseball).

Started working at the age of 16, since... i have had approximately if i am not forgetting any, around 12 different jobs. Ranging from a waiter at Applebees to Film Coating pills in a pharmaceutical company overnight to a top salesmen in GNC to current Personal Trainer (only as side work now though)

At the age of 19 i began Wrestling Professionally which i actually wrote a thread about. I took that from just learning how to do it, to traveling the country with the 2nd biggest company in the world (Ring of Honor) i had awesome and excellent experiences and wouldn't trade my time doing it for the world. I Attended two WWE tryouts, Wrestled a WWE Hall-Of-Famer and met many many more. I have plenty of stories if i ever get the chance to one day write a book, including a bomb i would drop about my crazy rollercoaster personal life that would drop some peoples jaws(an experience i had that would change anyones life)

On my 24th birthday, my mom called me to tell me we were being evicted from our apartment because of rent raises, but they were giving her another apt. elsewhere(1 BR).

I had to find a place to live which meant taking up more clients at the gym, which meant having to stop wrestling (woe is me).
This definitely sucked but as i look back it is molding the person i am becoming.

Me and my Girlfriend moved out into our own apartment and i got to work. Thinking of idea after idea. I landed on one but to make it work i needed an investment for sure. Yep, i was going to hire someone to code it and together we would make it happen. Except one thing, Who The F*ck was going to give my unproved, no venture starting a*s any money?

Thankfully it was around this time that i finished reading The Millionaire Fastlane and i would honestly and sincerely like to thank @MJ DeMarco for every bit of that wonderful book and all i learned. It has honestly changed my life for the better. So, MJ... Thank you.

At this point
My girlfriends mom offered for us to move into her house with her so we can save money. Almost like Stars aligning, I am taking this opportunity to teach myself to code the SaaS business myself in Swift which is apples native iOS language.

I started learning to code with no prior experience 3 months ago, and i am happy to say i am understanding at a phenomenal rate and even actually enjoy it. I have around 10% of the SaaS coded already and it truly is a fulfilling experience to be able to think of something, then go and will it into creation. Which brings me to today..

This post has been long-winded enough, now you guys and gals know a bit about me and i will post my first progress report a little later tonight. Feel free to ask me any questions and i hope you find insightful information throughout this thread and journey, as well as some motivation.

-Matt

PROGRESS REPORT #1 - 11/25/15

I started to learn swift just about 3 months ago. I started with reading the apple developer free book on the ibooks app. That was 1000+ pages of fun. :yawn:

As i got deeper and deeper into the book i got more and more confused. To be completely honest, they say that book is for someone who has no programming experience, well they should really look it over... because after the first 200 pages they are talking about logic and protocol delegation with long winded code examples that made me want to pull my eyeballs out.

However, after my slow start downloaded xCode and started to play with the SDK(Software Development Kit). It is actually fun, User Interface design is interesting and it is really sad that some people put out such mediocre looking apps, i mean don't they look at their product and wonder... would i use this?

My progress journal
after everyday of coding, i write down what i did and learned in a marble notebook as well as write down goals for the next day. i also record the amount of time i spent coding each day. It will be good to look back and see the ebbs and flows of learning to program.

Current Progress-

I began officially coding the SaaS product this past Friday. In the 4 days that have gone by i spent 28 hours of time coding and have the first 2 screens functional as well as connected to the backend.

Feel free to ask me any questions on anything at all. I am happy to answer.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
PROGRESS REPORT #1 - 11/25/15

I started to learn swift just about 3 months ago. I started with reading the apple developer free book on the ibooks app. That was 1000+ pages of fun. :yawn:

As i got deeper and deeper into the book i got more and more confused. To be completely honest, they say that book is for someone who has no programming experience, well they should really look it over... because after the first 200 pages they are talking about logic and protocol delegation with long winded code examples that made me want to pull my eyeballs out.

However, after my slow start downloaded xCode and started to play with the SDK(Software Development Kit). It is actually fun, User Interface design is interesting and it is really sad that some people put out such mediocre looking apps, i mean don't they look at their product and wonder... would i use this?

My progress journal
after everyday of coding, i write down what i did and learned in a marble notebook as well as write down goals for the next day. i also record the amount of time i spent coding each day. It will be good to look back and see the ebbs and flows of learning to program.

Current Progress-

I began officially coding the SaaS product this past Friday. In the 4 days that have gone by i spent 28 hours of time coding and have the first 2 screens functional as well as connected to the backend.

Feel free to ask me any questions on anything at all. I am happy to answer.

NEXT STEPS.

Diving into figuring out how to save data to parse.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
REGURGITATING CODE!

**Throws Up **

"Shit, thats where that function went" :wtf:

I have gotten a lot done already, Still more to do. No one knows if this is the story i will reflect on as my "Process" on the fastlane just yet. But damn it feels good. I think it is truly awesome to pick up something and learn it, then start using it for your business.

I have huge sales goals, but i won't share any of those until my SaaS is done with production. Important stuff first.

Appreciate the process... that being said... what have you done today to progress your fastlane ambitions?

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Got first 3 screens (Scenes) of SaaS product fully functional with code. including logIn system and one of the main ideas for the product.

Next steps:

1) Hone in and focus on next part of the project
2) Get to work!
3) Estimated SaaS completion date 3/1/15

Any Questions, Please ask.

Has anyone successfully started and exited a SaaS business before, be it acquisition or IPO?
Is anyone Currently running a SaaS based business?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
If you can get this up and running in a few months, a real pro could have this written and working in less than a week. Who is doing the design for you?

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
If you can get this up and running in a few months, a real pro could have this written and working in less than a week. Who is doing the design for you?
I am, I'm building MVP V.1, once v.1 is done, i am going to go get a few sales and re-invest the monthly into first employee (Another Developer). My plan is to grow this completely organically.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Also, I am enjoying the time i am spending learning to do this. I don't plan on letting it, But if for some reason this doesn't work out. i will have the ability to code the next business i work on.

What i am doing meets all of the business commandments as well which i honestly believe in. CENTS.

Last edited by a moderator:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Hope you all the best man, its gonna be tough but it is doable.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Hope you all the best man, its gonna be tough but it is doable.
Thank you, I have been through plenty of tough times in my life. Tough times that some people couldn't fathom getting through. Coding an MVP and getting enough sales to hire a first employee to move forward definitely is not tough in my book. :D

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
12/4/15

Moving on to building the inner parts of this application. Excited and ready. Have definitely received mixed feelings on the way i am going about this but i see nothing wrong with just committing to something and doing it.

I feel like barrier to entry scares way to many people away from starting something.

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
Why did you choose iOS / Swift? I'm curious.

Also, you made such a 180, from wrestler to programmer/entrepeneur! And you're coding! I'm a tech guy, and even I can't code... I've been more on the ops side, supporting and deploying although I want to and will eventually. Kudos!

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Why did you choose iOS / Swift? I'm curious.

Also, you made such a 180, from wrestler to programmer/entrepeneur! And you're coding! I'm a tech guy, and even I can't code... I've been more on the ops side, supporting and deploying although I want to and will eventually. Kudos!
I chose iOS and swift because i personally believe that for atleast as long as i live apple with be the leading tech company in the world. Therefore to be able to produce a business on their languages makes the most sense to me.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
I have to thank anyone and everyone who has told me to read "The Lean Startup" 1/3rd the way through and have already learned a lot. One of the main things i learned was to not be such a perfectionist at the moment. I should seriously get a solid few working parts to my SaaS together and get it to the market ASAP, and allow the Businesses i sell to offer feedback and shift the way the next variations of the product are built. If anyone can offer more insight please do. @tafy, @Vigilante, @Ubermensch.

Again thank you for the eye-opener.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

Let's Begin!

Thread

About Me

At this point

-Matt

After reading this OP almost in its entirety, I do not understand (or see) your plan to make money.

Who will pay you, and why? What value are you offering?

I have to thank anyone and everyone who has told me to read "The Lean Startup" 1/3rd the way through and have already learned a lot. One of the main things i learned was to not be such a perfectionist at the moment. I should seriously get a solid few working parts to my SaaS together and get it to the market ASAP, and allow the Businesses i sell to offer feedback and shift the way the next variations of the product are built. If anyone can offer more insight please do. @tafy, @Vigilante, @Ubermensch.

Again thank you for the eye-opener.

How do you make money?

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
To tag onto the Lean Startup, Visible Ops and Phoenix Project should be on your To-Read list as well.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
After reading this OP almost in its entirety, I do not understand (or see) your plan to make money.

Who will pay you, and why? What value are you offering?

How do you make money?
Gyms will pay us because it will be a sales tool that fixes issues that PT sales managers often have while trying to convert prospects into paying customers. on average, for every 10 new prospects a PT Manager sees, He closes on 1-2 of them so lets call it 15%. More times then not it is because a potential client is unsure about *special sauce here* and isn't ready to whip out the credit card just yet. However, they are the ones who booked the meeting for a PT consultation because they need a PT.

This product will increase conversion rate by approximately double, 3 in 10.
Lower Time spent with each potential conversion by approximately 11 minutes per meeting. (spent going over concerns) (currently around 32 mins).

On to the 2nd part of the SaaS tool.
A tool in which all 3 need (Gyms, Clients, PTs). *special sauce*.. Currently there are approximately 6-7 competitors in the gym software space. None of which are focusing on this particular development i am working on (The one that is being complained about most)
The competing companies all have Scheduling, POS, etc.. etc...

This 2nd tool will:
Make PTs jobs smoother while working with a client.
Make clients happier because of what they get, along with paying for their PT sessions.

Currently, on average a PT works with a client 4-6 months. Churn sometimes happens sooner, sometimes later, but mostly right in that range.

This tool will keep the clients around a bit longer. Looking at extending 2-3 months, which is about a 50% increase.
Gyms get payments longer, Clients get more results.. thus trainers have clients longer resulting in steady pay, longer.

Open to all other questions.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
I admire you. I am a fullstack geek android-ios-cloud-db but never seen a wrestler to coder.
Way to go!!!
Haha, Thank you very much. Honestly it is all about opening your mind to what you really want in life and then going and doing it.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
To tag onto the Lean Startup, Visible Ops and Phoenix Project should be on your To-Read list as well.
I will check those out as well thanks Bit

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Update 2 weeks, since last.

1) App is still waiting for review because of the holidays. Apple suspended that process from dec 23rd -- Jan 3rd.

2) Web software is currently under development. Expected Launch Date: 3/28/16.

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Update 2 weeks, since last.

1) App is still waiting for review because of the holidays. Apple suspended that process from dec 23rd -- Jan 3rd.

2) Web software is currently under development. Expected Launch Date: 3/28/16.

Keep up the hustle bro. Stay the course! :) :)

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Keep up the hustle bro. Stay the course! :) :)
Thank you, Definitely do not plan on leaving the course.

I truly believe half of business is "staying the course"

If you have a valuable idea, and it benefits the market. Then really all you need to do is stay the course. You will eventually be able to turn a profit :)

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Thought i would post an update:

Still working on it, the business is still very much alive. Software is in development. Blog post #1 is up.. If you feel like checking it out, feel free: http://www.leaffit.com/blog/2016/1/22/leaffit-blog-post1

Going to keep my blog as transparent as possible. I believe that if i do this from idea inception to build to revenue, alot of people can learn alot of things including myself. Enjoy. Thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.