The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Navigating through uncertainty....

Anything related to matters of the mind

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Below is an email I sent to a friend who was having trouble getting an upsell in his funnel to convert. These are two mindset techniques I use to help navigate past obstacles and uncertainty when moving forward with my business. #2 is probably more practical to most people here.

For your funnel...
I can't help from experience on the practical skills level, but as I was driving home last night, two things that came to mind, which I feel will really help you.

1. Perceptual Positions
This will allow you to get a whole new perspective on why the funnel hasn't converted in the past, and the reasoning that's going on in the customer's mind that tells them not to buy.

Position 1 - Looking through your own eyes
Position 2 - Looking through the other person's eyes
Position 3 - A third party bystander looking at the interaction between you(re site) and the customer)
Position 4 - Viewing the interaction as a while from an upper perspective.

I always ask myself "does this action benefit me, the customer, and society as a whole" From position 3 and 4 - ask those questions and make sure you get a yes for all three. Most entrepreneurs don't go past position 2.

Position 2 - The mental trick to do here is imagine you are actually a customer going through your funnel, looking through their eyes...

See what they are seeing...as if you are them, looking at your offer through their eyes.
Hear what they are hearing...seeing and hearing as if you are them right now.
Feel the emotions they are feeling, as if they are feeling the emotions of going through your funnel.

When you are 100% associated as the customer going through your funnel, feeling as if you are them going through right now....ask yourself "Why am I not buying the upsell?" (Or whatever the problem was).

Whatever comes to mind will help you get clarity. Follow your intuition on this, and ignore the logical thoughts that overrride it.

By seeing *and feeling* through the lens of the customer, it removes a lot of your own biases and mental blocks that get in the way.

2. Future Pacing.
Imagine that it's a time in the future and you already have the funnel profitable and converting and scaled (whatever your exact outcome is).

Imagine that you already have the problem solved, see what you see, hear what you're hearing, and feel those emotions you're feeling...as if you're feeling all of that right now.

Hold those emotions of already having the profitable funnel in the present moment, and then ask yourself, while looking back in time, "What was the solution I already found for this?"

These two techniques are designed to remove any mental blocks and provide clarity in your direction. Make sure to do perceptual position 3 and 4 as well.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
Steve Jobs

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Below is an email I sent to a friend who was having trouble getting an upsell in his funnel to convert. These are two mindset techniques I use to help navigate past obstacles and uncertainty when moving forward with my business. #2 is probably more practical to most people here.

For your funnel...
I can't help from experience on the practical skills level, but as I was driving home last night, two things that came to mind, which I feel will really help you.

1. Perceptual Positions
This will allow you to get a whole new perspective on why the funnel hasn't converted in the past, and the reasoning that's going on in the customer's mind that tells them not to buy.

Position 1 - Looking through your own eyes
Position 2 - Looking through the other person's eyes
Position 3 - A third party bystander looking at the interaction between you(re site) and the customer)
Position 4 - Viewing the interaction as a while from an upper perspective.

I always ask myself "does this action benefit me, the customer, and society as a whole" From position 3 and 4 - ask those questions and make sure you get a yes for all three. Most entrepreneurs don't go past position 2.

Position 2 - The mental trick to do here is imagine you are actually a customer going through your funnel, looking through their eyes...

See what they are seeing...as if you are them, looking at your offer through their eyes.
Hear what they are hearing...seeing and hearing as if you are them right now.
Feel the emotions they are feeling, as if they are feeling the emotions of going through your funnel.

When you are 100% associated as the customer going through your funnel, feeling as if you are them going through right now....ask yourself "Why am I not buying the upsell?" (Or whatever the problem was).

Whatever comes to mind will help you get clarity. Follow your intuition on this, and ignore the logical thoughts that overrride it.

By seeing *and feeling* through the lens of the customer, it removes a lot of your own biases and mental blocks that get in the way.

2. Future Pacing.
Imagine that it's a time in the future and you already have the funnel profitable and converting and scaled (whatever your exact outcome is).

Imagine that you already have the problem solved, see what you see, hear what you're hearing, and feel those emotions you're feeling...as if you're feeling all of that right now.

Hold those emotions of already having the profitable funnel in the present moment, and then ask yourself, while looking back in time, "What was the solution I already found for this?"

These two techniques are designed to remove any mental blocks and provide clarity in your direction. Make sure to do perceptual position 3 and 4 as well.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
Steve Jobs

Victor Pride mentioned in his podcast with Cernovich that "if you're using the words, 'funnel, funnel, funnel', you're probably just being a guru". Minute 13. https://boldanddetermined.com/how-to-build-you-inc-podcast-with-mike-cernovich-from-danger-and-play/

Everyone knows you have to view the problem from your own shoes, but it's not about your own shoes - it's about the other's, too. But knowing the audience you want will help you fulfill the other's shoes; it defines the other's.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
To look through the eyes of another person you have to be another person.
It's easy to preach, but in reality it's nearly impossible to do that with a good percentage of accuracy. To achieve any accuracy you need to read more than "mindset guru" forum posts and actually dive into cognitive and behavioural psychology, starting with evolutionary psychology first.

Game theory helps connecting the dots if understood correctly (I've heard so much verbal trash from so-called Game Theory experts that I'm not sure anymore, you really want to be careful with who you listen to), because mental blocks are just lack of information or undeveloped associative thinking, which results in being unable to take action effectively. You can't just get rid of "mental blocks", they are here for a reason.

Good literature on topic:
- The Art of Strategy by Avinash Dixit and Barry Nalebuff
- Moral Animal by Robert Wright
- Switch by Dan & Chip Heath.
These books will allow you to actually know this stuff instead of brainwashing yourself.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
To look through the eyes of another person you have to be another person.
It's easy to preach, but in reality it's nearly impossible to do that with a good percentage of accuracy. To achieve any accuracy you need to read more than "mindset guru" forum posts and actually dive into cognitive and behavioural psychology, starting with evolutionary psychology first.

Game theory helps connecting the dots if understood correctly (I've heard so much verbal trash from so-called Game Theory experts that I'm not sure anymore, you really want to be careful with who you listen to), because mental blocks are just lack of information or undeveloped associative thinking, which results in being unable to take action effectively. You can't just get rid of "mental blocks", they are here for a reason.

Good literature on topic:
- The Art of Strategy by Avinash Dixit and Barry Nalebuff
- Moral Animal by Robert Wright
- Switch by Dan & Chip Heath.
These books will allow you to actually know this stuff instead of brainwashing yourself.

I like Switch.

Also...meet Oolong:

601px-Oolong_the_Rabbit%27s_last_performance_%282003%29.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.