The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need a book cover designed? I'll do it for free.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Update: If you have a book in either the Horror, Sci-Fi, or other more potentially challenging genres to compose a cover for, I can take your project.

No longer taking requests on: Non-Fiction, or Romance (including ero).

I've come to the point in my book cover designing progress (I've done close to 50 for titles I'm currently working on, or brainstorming), where I believe I have a skill that I can begin to use a side hustle.

The problem is, I need to build some kind of portfolio to show authors before I go down the road of getting clients.

In order to gain proof of concept, I'm offering to take on 2 clients for free.

This will allow me to see if this is something I can do, and your feedback will allow me to see if this is a service you would pay for.

All you need to do is put a quick "I'm in" message in this thread, and send me a PM about what you want designed.

What's the catch? Haddock. Seriously, your cover will be put on my portfolio website when its done, and that's about it really.

This thread should probably be in the marketplace section, but since I'm offering this for free, hopefully MJ and the fellow mods will allow me this thread to also be free? (if so, thank you very much!).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Generous offer. But could you not use the 50 covers you've already done for your portfolio? Based on your existing (substantial) experience you probably don't need to prove your concept. You won't need to show all 50, just a dozen or so would be enough.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Generous offer. But could you not use the 50 covers you've already done for your portfolio? Based on your existing (substantial) experience you probably don't need to prove your concept. You won't need to show all 50, just a dozen or so would be enough.

I could, but if I do that it will give my pen names away.

I also don't want my designs to be linked to my writing directly. If someone disagrees with one of my books, they may not like to buy my designs is what I'm thinking.

@AndrewNC has PM'd me, so there is room for 1 more.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
How about a flyer/cover/landing design for a software? It's kind of like a book cover...

If so PM me, I'd like to participate

This could extend the market opportunities, so yes. Send me a PM and we'll see what happens.

NOTE: that's the 2 spots currently occupied (scale problem? or just easy to fill when free?). So The next few posts in this thread will be updates. (unless @Square1Hype doesn't PM me of course ;-) )

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia

I also don't want my designs to be linked to my writing directly. If someone disagrees with one of my books, they may not like to buy my designs is what I'm thinking.

@AndrewNC has PM'd me, so there is room for 1 more.
That's fair enough. I'd take you up on it but my cover's good, I don't have any new projects coming up so I'll step aside and let someone who needs a new cover take the opportunity. As a photoshop addict myself, I look forward to seeing the results.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Dude, are you me? I say that jokingly, of course. I recently created a lot of new covers for my upcoming titles and thought "damn, I actually enjoy this." Not to mention I have over a decade's worth of experience in photoshop. Decided to do the same thing.

As far as giving pen names away, just create some "Jon Doe" authored covers with "BOOK TITLE" or "YOUR TITLE HERE" as the name. Social proof is good, but I think, with graphic design, showing you're capable can be just as effective.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Okay, looks like we've ended up with 4 takers, so I can't do any more at the moment. (If @Square1Hype PMs me)

Dude, are you me? I say that jokingly, of course. I recently created a lot of new covers for my upcoming titles and thought "damn, I actually enjoy this." Not to mention I have over a decade's worth of experience in photoshop. Decided to do the same thing.

As far as giving pen names away, just create some "Jon Doe" authored covers with "BOOK TITLE" or "YOUR TITLE HERE" as the name. Social proof is good, but I think, with graphic design, showing you're capable can be just as effective.

Haha! Yeah exactly the same here lol.

Good point on the John Doe covers, I will do that when I build the website I think to add to the portfolio.

David Al

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Nov 27, 2015
Singapore
I've come to the point in my book cover designing progress (I've done close to 50 for titles I'm currently working on, or brainstorming), where I believe I have a skill that I can begin to use a side hustle.

The problem is, I need to build some kind of portfolio to show authors before I go down the road of getting clients.

In order to gain proof of concept, I'm offering to take on 2 clients for free.

This will allow me to see if this is something I can do, and your feedback will allow me to see if this is a service you would pay for.

All you need to do is put a quick "I'm in" message in this thread, and send me a PM about what you want designed.

What's the catch? Haddock. Seriously, your cover will be put on my portfolio website when its done, and that's about it really.

This thread should probably be in the marketplace section, but since I'm offering this for free, hopefully MJ and the fellow mods will allow me this thread to also be free? (if so, thank you very much!).

I'm interested. I have 10 book titles.
Niche is forex. Sub niche is price action, momentum trading, news trading. Swing trading. Day trading. Etc.

Let's me know.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I'm interested. I have 10 book titles.
Niche is forex. Sub niche is price action, momentum trading, news trading. Swing trading. Day trading. Etc.

Let's me know.

Send me a PM with the following, and I'll get something done for you too.

Title and brief description of the book.
Genre
Author name
Desired size (I usually do 1600X2400px)
Anything else you think may be helpful for your vision of the cover.

NOTE: I can't take anymore for free at this time. (think I'm at 6 now).

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Time for an update I believe.

First cover: @AndrewNC came to me with a rough outline of what he wanted doing, after a few revisions and some back and fourth. We ended up with these:

By Far - AndrewNC(4).jpg By Far - AndrewNC3.jpg

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Second request came in for a horror book, which isn't a genre I've designed anything for up to this point, and that didn't go so well.

The user who requested this cover stated he wasn't looking for hands on 1-to-1 design process, but he was very pleasant to deal with and provided me with valuable feedback. It also gave me an idea for how I could improve this service when I am ready to launch it.

Third request was for a romance novel, Here's the cover:

Joshua5.jpg

I'm not sure if the user wants to use it, or if he's going to design something himself. But I quite like it personally and think it's worth putting in the thread.

Fourth request was for another non-fiction book. I'm waiting to hear back from this member as to where to proceed next.

I'm yet to receive a PM from @David Al

Still waiting on the stuff for the Flyer.

Any feedback/comments appreciated!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I will easily pay $350 to @LifeTransformer for my next book design, and will recommend him to anybody that asks.

I wanted a simplistic design, and exactly what I want was delivered, but the best part about working together is the quick replies and constant contact on updates, which is severely lacked by other graphic designers.

100% the best freelance graphic design experience I ever had

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I will easily pay $350 to @LifeTransformer for my next book design, and will recommend him to anybody that asks.

I wanted a simplistic design, and exactly what I want was delivered, but the best part about working together is the quick replies and constant contact on updates, which is severely lacked by other graphic designers.

100% the best freelance graphic design experience I ever had

Thank you very much Andrew! Was a pleasure.

Nearly finished with another project, and the website is coming along nicely too.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Note to self: I must remember to shrink these images before posting them.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Updated the OP, can take a couple more projects if they are in Sci-Fi, Horror or other challenging niches.

No Non-fiction or Romance (that includes ero), unless you want to be my first paid client :D.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Offer this on fiverrr or kboards and you'll have a ton more bites

Good point!

I'll join kboards, and get a thread up on there.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Let me take a look at your work, I might need someone for my novel. :)

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Let me take a look at your work, I might need someone for my novel. :)

I'm working on the website/portfolio as we speak.

If you want to send me a pm with some details on the book, I can put some proposals together for you.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
If you want to send me a pm with some details on the book, I can put some proposals together for you.
Will do. In the middle of tearing it apart and rewriting it and not sure what I want on the cover yet. :)

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Worked on a non book cover project with @Square1Hype, not being a book cover I was a little reluctant to do it, but we figured out that the flyer could be book cover sized.

I put 2 basic layouts forward and he picked his favourite.

I then built upon that layout, and made 6 finished products, of which we both agreed this one was the best:

FocsDesk3.jpg

I'm nearly finished building the site too, will be changing my avatar when its finished.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
If anyone has a book cover they want made into either a mockup, or createspace layout, I'd love to do it for you to try that skill out.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Here's the final Fastlane forum project completed (unless anyone wants sci-fi or horror):

software4(h) (683x1024).jpg
(I actually remembered to resize this one before posting).

Website is almost done too. Nearly ready to launch.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Thing is, some of us don't really want to give our pen names away. But still awesome job. :)

True indeed!

If the project doesn't use any premium assets (stuff that can't be transferred like fonts, stock etc I've purchased), then "author name" would surfice.
If you have a way of editing a PSD anyway.
Or, maybe a blank space where the name can go.

I know the feeling though! I could have a much larger portfolio to show from the start if I put my own covers onto the site.

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
Looking to transpose a handsome face into a body... (has lots of hair)

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Looking to transpose a handsome face into a body... (has lots of hair)

Into a body? That sounds interesting!

I'm not sure transposing is my thing though to be honest. But PM me the files and I'll see what I can do.

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
Into a body? That sounds interesting!

I'm not sure transposing is my thing though to be honest. But PM me the files and I'll see what I can do.

Yeah so I can use that beautiful handsome, sales-converting face in different variations without having to purchase him again.

If it's not your thing, it's ok. :)

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Just finished designing my first horror/mystery cover, I think it looks pretty good.

mystery (500x800).jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.