What's new

Need Help- Should I Sell My Software?

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Sell Or Shell
Hey guys! So I just finished year 1 of computer science and learned some neat tricks like building a website using python, flask, html and css. After which, I began interning at a startup edtech company through school networks as a market researcher. My job was to find leads and place them in an excel sheet for the sales and marketing team I suppose. This meant looking at instagram, mail, youtube etc for my specific category of leads. I'm almost done with it and it lasted for 6 weeks and I learnt a whole lot.

BUT, towards the end of the internship I read the forum about how problems and opportunities can be found at a such jobs. In doing the process of finding and messaging leads, I got zero responses usually. I wondered why and went to research it. Turns out the proper way to do these things is to first build a relationship with the client and then talk to them or they ignore you completely. So that led me to knowing I had to warm up to the lead first. This would be through complimenting their art first (Public), and then direct messaging them something like this privately:

Hey, {Name} – I loved the {Drawing}! I’m reaching out from x company to see if you might be able to collab with them. Let me know if you’re interested!

My manager requires us, or at least me as an intern to find and message up to 30 leads a day. But doing this warm based approach would take FOREVER with conventional approaches. So I knew there had to be a better way of doing this. (Side note he does 50 a day).

That's when I came up with a simple software solution that had results like this:
Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 12.01.20 AM.png

It required me to create a database (csv) like this:
Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 12.03.04 AM.png

The button above once clicked will take the user to the site (page) on instagram after copying the message created by the app. I can then paste the message and just go back to the same page pretty easily. I was able to message 60 leads with this before instagram restricted me from sending more public messages for the day.

I didn't create the database, I used $5 to get it from scrape hero for 300 total leads. But they even have the $25 package for $2000.

That day I was able to obtain a database of 500 leads from the web scraper but was only able to get 60 to respond in the public section of their page after messaging up to 120 contacts and then dm them privately.

When I told my manager about it at first, he didn't reply yet. He waited until the next day to call and ask for a demo of how I did it, since I did tell him about the web scraper. He says I should upload it to git to make my code publicly available to the team.

What do you think?

My family has recommended me to sell it to them, though I think an internship is just a learning experience to solve even more problems.

Should I ask him to ask the company for a price for the software? How much should I charge do you think?

It is also possible that once they see the solution they may be able to replicate it since they have a product team as well.

Also, the application is just a simple python-flask that uses a Venv, with some requirements, one template, and one hello.py file. But the know how was built from 1 year of computer science of learning python and then flask. This can also be improved so much more by making it possible to copy to separate keys more than one item to the clipboard.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Og vji eqq ot ceppif cz OH egvis disveop ati, vji eqq fuitp'v jewi nadj wemai.

Muul opvu MoplifJimqis. Ovt ep eavunevoup vuum gus MoplifOp. Ovt WISZ desigam ecuav fuoph vjopht tmuxmz epf mudemmz vu 1) ewuof fividvoup, epf 2) qistupemobi zuas uavsiedj. O ati ov vu eavunevi vjopht vjev O fu siqivovowimz up MoplifOp epzxez.

tmux ot puv cef og zua'si timmoph johj wemai ovint.

Og zua nufimif zuas qsufadv up vjev, zua nohjv jewi tunivjoph.

Muul opvu MoplifJimqis. Ovt ep eavunevoup vuum gus MoplifOp. Ovt WISZ desigam ecuav fuoph vjopht tmuxmz epf mudemmz vu 1) ewuof fividvoup, epf 2) qistupemobi zuas uavsiedj. O ati ov vu eavunevi vjopht vjev O fu siqivovowimz up MoplifOp epzxez.

tmux ot puv cef og zua'si timmoph johj wemai ovint.

Og zua nufimif zuas qsufadv up vjev, zua nohjv jewi tunivjoph.
Djidloph ov pux vjeplt nadj!

IFOV: tu O djidlif ov cav, tu NEPZ esvodmit quopv vu ov cioph mihem cav op e hsiz tusv ug esie. Xjodj puv upmz fuitp'v siemmz nusemmz ehsii xovj ni, cav ot emtu opdsifocmz sotlz xjodj vu ni woumevit vji DIPVT qsopdoqmit. Tu O xuamfp'v fimwi opvu vji uqqusvapovz apmitt O duamf ivjodemmz tdseqi vjsuahj.

Last edited:
Djidloph ov pux vjeplt nadj!
Fup'v miv NK tdesi zua ugg. Ji lpuxt e muv, epf zua tjuamf motvip vu xjev ji tezt, cav ji't emtu puv Huf. Tu, veli op iwiszupi't efwodi, epf vjip fidofi gsun vjisi xjev zua tjuamf fu.

Fup'v miv NK tdesi zua ugg. Ji lpuxt e muv, epf zua tjuamf motvip vu xjev ji tezt, cav ji't emtu puv Huf. Tu, veli op iwiszupi't efwodi, epf vjip fidofi gsun vjisi xjev zua tjuamf fu.
O'mm liiq vjev op nopf vuu. Ettonomevi emm opgu epf neli e raemovz fidotoup.

Tdseqist esi emxezt huoph vu ci e hsiz esie. E muv ug catopittit neli nupiz xovj vjin cav O xuamf ehsii vjiz qav zua ev sotl topdi puv upmz esi zua simzoph up e qmevgusn zua'si hivvoph vji feve gsun, cav ataemmz zua esi emtu simzoph up vjev qmevgusn puv devdjoph zua woumevoph vjios visnt ug tiswodi.

Emsohjv tu O fof e muv ug sitiesdj et ximm.

Vjot wofiu tant aq vji xjumi eshanipv ecuav xic tdseqoph op 7 nopavit raovi podimz gus vjuti xju esi opvisitvif. Ov't atif op dzcistidasovz epf op qsugittoupem dunqepoit, tu nz woix up ov jet djephif e cov.

Woix: jvvqt://xxx.zuavaci.dun/xevdj?w=g0C6SfWHdN8

O fup'v lpux xju tji ot cav tji't tezoph timg tiswoph CT
(op gostv 3 nopavit tu o fofp'v cuvjis vu xevdj nusi).

Samit esi tonqmi:
Fuit dunqepz jewi visnt ug tiswodi
xjodj guscoft eavunevodemmz eddittoph vjios tovi?
Vjip zua esi puv emmuxif vu tu.

O'wi sief Huuhmi visnt ug tiswodi epf vjiz fup'v
emmux eavunevodemmz eddittoph vjios tovi, gus iyenqmi.
Ovt qsucecmz tegi civ vjev MoplifOp, iCez,
Enebup us epz uvjis xictovi jewi teni dmeatit
op vjios VuT.

Qiuqmi dupgati visn "ommihem" xovj
puv cioph emmuxif vu.

Foggisipdi ot vjev og tunivjoph ot ommihem,
zuas mudem qumodi jet optvepv sohjv vu hu egvis zua.

Vjopht vjev esi guscoffip cz dupvsedv
epf puv ommihem (moli tdseqqoph huuhmi us enebup)
dep dutv zua e vsoq vu e duasv, mexzis giit,
epf qsucecmz qezoph tuni gopi
og kafhi xomm tii ov vjot xez epf tovi uxpist
xomm cuvjis vu tai zua.

Nusi gsoipfmz uxpist xomm tipf zua Dieti epf Fitotv
mivvis cigusi taoph zua, vu tjux huuf xomm
epf tjusvip vji qsuditt.

Og vjot eqq xuamf hiv coh, zua xuamf hiv tadj mivvis
gsun MoplifOp.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom