- Joined
- Oct 20, 2012
- Messages
- 1,560
Rep Bank
$2,685
$2,685
User Power: 149%
I've been working towards putting a product together that would solve the problem of smelly shoes & socks.
And I thought I had cracked it so I started putting together prototype designs, CAD designs, 3D modelling and web copy etc.
But a few weeks ago I got in touch with a local university to hear what they thought about my idea and if they could help me put it together. They agreed and said they would do market research and see if the product is viable and actually making the product is possible.
Well on the 17th of Nov. I went back to them and they gave me a detailed report of the data they had gathered on competition, on my industry etc.
First of all its possible to make the product, thats not an issue at all.
But, it turns out there was 1 thing I had totally overseen; my product which is a barrier sock made out of waterproof silicone would technically keep your socks dry (i.e you wear it before you put on your normal socks and it prevents your feet sweat from reaching your socks - keeping your shoes and socks dry ).... BUT using my product would create the perfect environment for foot odor, bacteria and foot sweat... because feet need to breath and be airy or kept 100% dry in order for the sweat not turn into odor or bacteria!
Also there are some products that are out there (which I knew about but they solve the problem differently i.e insoles that you put into the shoes and replace every 30 days and some socks made with much more advanced tech to let them breathe while wicking the sweat into its fiber at the bottom which basically creates a barrier too).
Pics of my product (3D); http://i.imgur.com/78KSPQg.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/FsiIxvu.jpg
In the report they told me in order to prevent feet odor and sweat I'd either have to make a product that is similar to the current products on the market but make it even better (and I'm on a limited a$$ budget so not sure how I'll be able to do that). Or find a way to make a product that would let the feet breathe more or find a way to suck out any liquid i.e dry feet = no bacteria or odor.
So I spent most of yesterday trying find a ways I could improve my product and I thought of things like; making a 1 time use antiperspirant pad for feet (like a diaper that sucks liquid), or using something like baby powder with my product .. i.e you put a little bit of powder on your feet before you put on my product (refer to the pics) and hopefully that would keep sweat from accumulating inside of my product!
But now I'm starting to have doubt because even if I did that am I actually bringing a superior product to the market? I'm thinking maybe I should just scrap the whole idea and count my losses.
What do you guys think?
P.s there is a substance I read about called sodium Polyacrylate - which is a powder that sucks water like there is no tomorrow; you can see it in action here;
Was thinking if I moved forward with the idea I should use that either in pads or as powder that you put inside my product before you put on my product (but I feel like it starts getting too much - and the other products on the market would be a better choice for people).
Tl;dr should I scrap my foot product idea or push forward and let the market tell me no/yes.
Please excuse any mistakes, English is one of 4 languages I've had to learn.
And I thought I had cracked it so I started putting together prototype designs, CAD designs, 3D modelling and web copy etc.
But a few weeks ago I got in touch with a local university to hear what they thought about my idea and if they could help me put it together. They agreed and said they would do market research and see if the product is viable and actually making the product is possible.
Well on the 17th of Nov. I went back to them and they gave me a detailed report of the data they had gathered on competition, on my industry etc.
First of all its possible to make the product, thats not an issue at all.
But, it turns out there was 1 thing I had totally overseen; my product which is a barrier sock made out of waterproof silicone would technically keep your socks dry (i.e you wear it before you put on your normal socks and it prevents your feet sweat from reaching your socks - keeping your shoes and socks dry ).... BUT using my product would create the perfect environment for foot odor, bacteria and foot sweat... because feet need to breath and be airy or kept 100% dry in order for the sweat not turn into odor or bacteria!
Also there are some products that are out there (which I knew about but they solve the problem differently i.e insoles that you put into the shoes and replace every 30 days and some socks made with much more advanced tech to let them breathe while wicking the sweat into its fiber at the bottom which basically creates a barrier too).
Pics of my product (3D); http://i.imgur.com/78KSPQg.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/FsiIxvu.jpg
In the report they told me in order to prevent feet odor and sweat I'd either have to make a product that is similar to the current products on the market but make it even better (and I'm on a limited a$$ budget so not sure how I'll be able to do that). Or find a way to make a product that would let the feet breathe more or find a way to suck out any liquid i.e dry feet = no bacteria or odor.
So I spent most of yesterday trying find a ways I could improve my product and I thought of things like; making a 1 time use antiperspirant pad for feet (like a diaper that sucks liquid), or using something like baby powder with my product .. i.e you put a little bit of powder on your feet before you put on my product (refer to the pics) and hopefully that would keep sweat from accumulating inside of my product!
But now I'm starting to have doubt because even if I did that am I actually bringing a superior product to the market? I'm thinking maybe I should just scrap the whole idea and count my losses.
What do you guys think?
P.s there is a substance I read about called sodium Polyacrylate - which is a powder that sucks water like there is no tomorrow; you can see it in action here;
Was thinking if I moved forward with the idea I should use that either in pads or as powder that you put inside my product before you put on my product (but I feel like it starts getting too much - and the other products on the market would be a better choice for people).
Tl;dr should I scrap my foot product idea or push forward and let the market tell me no/yes.
Please excuse any mistakes, English is one of 4 languages I've had to learn.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
