The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New mentors, does religion and race matter

Topics relating to managing people and relationships
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldman snacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 15, 2016
As I don't really have anyone with business knowledge or success to run this by, I wanted to run this by you guys.

Last month I met a talkative guy in a local gathering spot, me having an English accent and being white in an African American neighbourhood I must of stood out as he started by asking where I'm from etc, it got round to me mentioning I'm unemployed atm and he said he could help me out.

Anyway he called me and I met him and his brothers and they think I can help them, my role is to help them close deals and meet people that they don't have time to meet. they are African American and don't practice business on Saturday because of the Jewish sabbath.
They said as a white Englishman (I fit the posh white guy stereotype)that is non religious that I would have it a lot easier to be successful in business, I nodded along as I didn't want to argue but I feel as if the times have changed and I don't see their angle how this would change anything. Also before meeting people, they make an effort to tell me if someone is religious or not as if it will affect the scenario.
These people are multitudes of success higher than me so I take their word for it. Has anyone here ever found barriers or advantages in business due to their race or religious beliefs? and how can you leverage your religion or atheism or race in your favor?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
My crystal ball tells me this thread is going to be a complete upfuck within the next 5 replies.

The question is, what do YOU believe? How do you treat people who you meet? When you meet someone, do you automatically make assumptions about people based on their ethnicity and religion, or do you see that person as a fellow human being who's really not that much different from you?

My friend, genetically our physical forms are 99.99% the exact same, and every single one of us is trying to get through this life that they know how to. We're not all that different.

In the words of one of the most amazing human beings to grace Earth with his presence:
"Be the change you want to se in the world" -Mahatma Gandhi

G

GuestUser450

:eek: Add some political ideology and this thread'll be a fart in the wind.

Has anyone here ever found barriers or advantages in business due to their...
Money (as a gauge to measure the value you've provided a market) doesn't care. Some people do, but there's lots of us to choose from.

...how can you leverage your religion or atheism or race in your favor?
Don't; just be the best version of who you are. People will find out about you without you even trying.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I think the OP was asking if what he thought he understood made sense?

Yes it might.

I understand. In case it seemed like I was being too indirect, let me clarify.

It's no great mystery that people hold biases. A particular person may have a belief about another for any reason, that may or not make sense to another. I think we've all been guilty of this at least some point in our lives.

Maybe the OP's acquaintances have experienced discrimination while doing business at some point in their lives. It wouldn't surprise me, as I've heard that many black people living in the USA encounter racism for unwarranted reasons.

If they're Jewish as you say, I'm wondering why they wouldn't seek more support from their Jewish community, as the jewish community often contains many prominent business people.

There's no concrete universal rule that says one demographic of person will be perceived better by everyone else in business, because these are all human perceptions. I can't speak for the OP's friends because their experiences are likely very different from mine. But if the OP's friend's think it's true, then to them it will be true. If the OP believes it's true, then by his own experience it will be.

So what the OP needs to decide for himself is if he wants to internalize the belief and be the solution to their problem. Because from the way it sounds, he's being welcomed into the business for no greater reason than being their token whitey.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I think the OP was asking if what he thought he understood made sense?

Yes it might.
I ignored the other questions because I felt that I should.

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016
Ehh...dude, pay attention; Your dealing with a Religious "Con-artist!"

Unless this guy can use his "religious connections" (his flock to buy his wares), to purchase product from YOU, he's a waste of time (and might even be dangerous to hang around---beware).
  1. Twisting logic (he's got more money than you, because he KNOWS how to twist the truth). Your blessed because you are "white"....lol. Another Con-artist. He wants you to use "PULL" so that he can "hypnotize" someone to purchase his BS (I bet you he's selling something---and its not legit).
  2. He's using his flock to make money with (i've seen it too many times now). Religious Zealots become leaders and lead "their sheep" anywhere they want them (including donating 10% of their income). I've seen religious accountants, chiropractors, dr's, lawyers, etc., use the power of "BS Charisma" to scare or swoon their flock into doing whatever they want. The more Charismatic the Religion, the better the pull. Its all about "fear."
  3. What's this H****chit about being able to "see if someone is Religious?" Dude...he's a con-artist----RUN!
Unless you can "out-con him", I would stay away.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Read the rules. It's #8, the last on the list.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!