• Forum Upgrades Ongoing: Please pardon the dust. Starting the week of September 16th, the forum will be undergoing style modifications and may not appear as normal. Please be patient as modifications are performed. Updates on the progress can be found here. Thanks for your patience! ~ MJ DeMarco

PEOPLE RANT Not cool bro...

Topics relating to managing people and relationships
A post of a ranting nature...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
216%
Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.
So I'm chatting with an animator on skype. He's "highly recommended" by a friend. I tell him I need:
  • ORIGINAL animated designs
  • Full resale license rights
I don't have the time to do 50+ designs myself by the deadline. I need him to take some of my storyboards and assets and turn them into something usable to resell to customers.

So he quotes me at $10/animated second, which is a reasonable price...

However, as we move forward, it becomes clear that he doesn't intend to create animations from scratch. He plans to use 'fill-in-the-blank' templates off of VideoHive...

After I confront him about this... he understands, and we continue talking about UNIQUE animation.

NOPE!

Kid starts sending me examples of his "original work" which are just more templates. I know because I own them myself. They still have the "your text here" placeholders in them.

LISTEN KID:
I can buy and edit templates myself!
WERE YOU NOT LISTENING TO ME THE PAST 30 MINS?
There must be a misunderstanding, right?

NOPE!

Turns out he DID understand what I was asking for, but he was trying to cut down work on his end, but still charge me the full price for it.

Apparently he didn't care that it'd break the license agreement of the original work. He didn't care that I could be sued for illegally breaking copyright. He thought I wouldn't figure it out.

Templates are MEANT to be used with clients. I understand showing off templates you own as a producer trying to book clients. Except in this case, he's not the producer.. I am. He's an animator FAKING his skillset, trying to squeeze extra money out of me, and knowingly setting me up to break copyright laws.

This is why it's important to be an expert in what you do.
The person who referred this kid to me said he was a "very gifted video artist". This is because the referring party isn't well versed in video.

I SAW the templates because I own them myself.
I spotted his hesitance in following my storyboards, his hesitance when I told him I'd need access to the project files when he was done.
I knew when that him "checking his files" before quoting me, was him templates similar to what I asked for.

Imagine if I had spend a few grand on this kid and then gotten sued?
Not cool bro...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Definitely not cool. I will remember this if I ever need this type of work done. Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't have known.

Muv ug vjuti qiuqmi up Gowiss vuu. Vjiz timm tvagg vjev dep ci atif cz upmopi dsievus tugvxesi -_-

Podi fomohipdi Favz.

O'wi guapf vjev cijewouas vu ci iwiszxjisi epf op emnutv iwisz optvovavoup.
O edvaemmz iyqidv CT moli vjev epf fu tnemmis sapt gostv aq, vjev xez zua noponoti sotl.

Emtu, O qodlif aq sidipvmz vjev hivvoph e dupdiqv haz (dep zua tjux ni e gix tdivdjit epf e gix dupdiqvt ivd) epf ep "izi" haz (dep zua vasp vjot opvu y) dep ci siemmz jimqgam op iptasoph ov ot usohopem. Etl haz gus vji ofiet epf gopf epuvjis haz vjev dep iyidavi, us, veli ov cedl vu jon vu tii jux ji iyidavit epf og ji dep gopotj vji qsukidv.

O en jitovepv vu caz epzvjoph ev gedi wemai, cideati onu ovt xusvj puvjoph epf nutv catopitt qiuqmi esi puv 1000% jupitv. O en enebif ev jux nepz qiuqmi caz gsun opfiqipfepvt moli vjiz esi et vsatvxusvjz et e taqisnesliv ivd. Vji foggisipdi civxiip coh epf tnemm ot ataemmz vjusuahj cob qsedvodit vjev jimq vjin tvez exez gsun vjot vun guumisz, tu ettani vji xustv, epf ci qsiqesif gus civvis updi zua'wi hupi vjsuahj fomohipdi.

Miesp vu ipkuz suetvoph qiuqmi aqup qasdjetit ug epz lopf, epf vjsux daswi cemmt epf zua'mm tquv qjupoit getvis.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back