What's new

Other people's money -- investor pitch -- what am I missing??

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

LongHorn

New Contributor
I am still pretty new at this, but I have a couple of ideas for how to get into the fast lane, despite driving a clunker at this time… I would welcome the feedback from the more experienced drivers on this board! (And I apologize in advance for the length.)

My idea is basically using OPM to build a real estate (RE) portfolio. There are a couple of different ways to spin the pitch to investors, and different ways to include the investors in the deal. I need advice on which method is best – please look at this as someone is pitching the idea to you -- which way most piques your interest? What more would it take to get you to part with your money? What questions do you have that I have not answered?

Also, if you see any holes in my planning, please chime in (but please note, there are a couple of areas where I suspect the discussion could take a turn and go down a path I think I already have covered—no offense, I just would prefer to keep the discussion focused – so those areas are noted).

I have four multi-family properties I am eyeing (SFH converted to duplex with garage apt, a pair of 4-plexes, and a 6-plex mini-apartment. Combined purchase price would be about $800k. I need investors to pony up $250k. I will borrow $600k, leaving me with $50k in reserve. I have financing lined up at 5.5% on a non-recourse loan (ten year note, 30 yr amortization). This means of financing would enable me to have my self-directed Roth IRA be the owner rather than me. (Please don’t get sidetracked by the Roth IRA issue.)

The beauty of this is that I can repeat the process with additional investors on additional properties in the future -- I just need to fine-tune my pitch.

I think there are a couple of ways to approach the investors, and this is where I am in new territory. (1) Approach as hard money lenders, offering a decent return but not excessive – maybe 7.5%. The note would be short, 5 years max. This idea does not really appeal to me, because if someone hit me up, I would ask why they didn't just go to a bank? (2) Approach investors on a property by property basis. Close each property into an LLC (a compartment of a Series LLC) and have the investors be in on that deal only. Investors contribute 20-25% of purchase price and have equivalent equity in the LLC, and take that much of the income stream. This is a bit more work for me (as opposed to #3) and I don't have as much upside because I don't own 100% of the deal. OR (3) Close all purchases into one master LLC, with investors in that master LLC so they have their risk spread out by 4 rather than concentrated into 1 property – but have the LLC Agreement state that investors can be bought out by the LLC for a return of capital plus a stated rate of annualized return (I was thinking 10%) at any point within the first 5 years. Not sure I can swing this under approach #2.

For what it is worth, my lender would prefer option #3, but is not opposed to any of the 3. I think the LLC for the portfolio (option #3) – with the clearly defined exit strategy for them, plus valuable tax deductions -- might be the easiest sell to investors. Although I could do an exit strategy with the investor per property approach, it is much more difficult (basically with option #3 I get to hold the investors’ preferred return and pay down the portfolio loan quicker, then refinance the loan to give them the 10% return). Please don’t get sidetracked by the details of the exit strategy.

Also, the tax deduction aspects of the deal are best in the master LLC angle. Under the master LLC approach, the investor-members each get 19.5% interest and I (or my Roth IRA) gets a 2.5%. interest. The investors would get 97.5% of the tax deductions under this approach (as opposed to 20-25% under option #2 and none under option #1). More on that below.

The LLC would borrow $600k at 5.5% , ten year note but 30 year amortization. Purchases four multi-family properties in Texas, in a stable market that has thus far been relatively unaffected by the burst of the housing bubble (3 of the 4 properties are near college campus with a steady stream of renters). Aggregate purchase price ~$800k.

Important numbers: Debt service = $3,400 /month. Tax, insurance & maintenance = $3,100/month. Total expense = $6,500/month. Projected income = $9,600/month. Free cash flow = $3,100/month – applied to retiring the bank loan (not the investors' preferred return--yet).

I am assuming that projected income will rise at the same rate as taxes and insurance, leaving free cash flow a constant (and making math easier). All free cash flow will be plowed into retiring the debt, and the tax & insurance component of monthly income will be put into an interest bearing account (earning about 1.5%) until those expenses are paid at year’s end. Also the $50k reserve fund (balance of the $250k capital contribution) will be in an interest bearing account.

After 4.5 years (end of 2014), the $600k loan balance will be reduced to $365k. The $50k reserve account (if untouched) would be $53.5. The tax and insurance fund would have accumulated $4k worth of interest. Assuming a 3.5% property value increase per year, the properties should be worth $922k, which would (at 80% LTV) yield $738k.

Add back in the $50k side account plus interest, and the $4k tax and insurance account, and I’d have an additional $57.5k, for a total of $795k. From that I have to pay off the existing loan (-$365k) and the investors’ $250k plus 10% return (-$365.6k). That would leave me as the sole owner of the LLC, with a reserve account of a little over $53k, and over $922k worth of income producing properties with 20% equity – compliments of my investors, renters and lender.:tiphat: Yeah for me!

I assume I could get comparable terms in 3.5 years, and would have a 30 year fixed rate note at something under 6%. Assuming modest rent increases and a 5.5.% loan rate, I would be looking at debt service of $4,038 per month, tax and insurance expense of $3,145, for total expense of $7,183, against income of $9,900 per month. That would leave over $2,700 per month in free cash flow (less than earlier stated because loan balance is higher).

As before, I would plow that into retiring the debt, and in 8 years (when my oldest starts college) I would have the loan balance down to $537k. At that point, I would divert $2,000 per month of the free cash flow (still applying $700 to principal reduction) for 4 years to help pay for college, then resume payments for one year, and repeat the process when child #2 hits college. After he is out of college, I would resume applying all of the free cash flow to debt reduction, and have the whole thing paid off in under 20 years. Which also jibes with my anticipated retirement. At that point, the properties should be worth well north of $1.5M and monthly cash flows of $7,000.

So there is the plan. Now for where I need input. How is the best way to pitch this to investors? If I was approaching you, what more would you want to hear? And how exactly do I downplay the fact that I am using OPM to make a nice nest egg for myself?

Under Option #3, the LLC would have profit (to be passed through to members while I have investors still in the deal) of a bit over $36,000 per year (that is what gets plowed into accelerated debt repayment). But the LLC would have deductions that far exceed that, so the investors will see a net tax advantage (I think). The tax deductions include loan interest paid ($16k in yr 1, $30k, $28k, $25k and $22k in years 2-5). Also property tax paid ($18k in year 1, $38k and up in subsequent years). Also, the properties would depreciate at 3.6% per year, so $29k per year. All total, I estimate the deductions through end of 2014 will total over $400k (versus $165k in profits). That would work out to $80k per investor over 4.5 years, and assuming they are in the 28% tax bracket, those deductions should be worth maybe $5k per year to them in tax savings. CPAs, please jump in with exact figures. And I do have plans to consult a CPA when I am preparing what I will show to investors. PS -- I am an attorney and can cover the offering PPM in-house (and also deal with any evictions, if necessary).

I don’t want to lead with the tax advantages (a wise investor told me years ago that if you are selling a deal based upon the tax breaks, you need not bother pitching it to entrepreneurs and should be [itching to a different audience). However, I do think it is a cherry on the top of a 10% annualized return (with the RE as security) and an exit in under 5 years. I have a dozen potential investors in mind, that I have pre-existing relationships with and that I know have gotten out of the stock market because they are too jittery.

When I cash out the investors, each gets a 10% annualized return, and some not too shabby tax breaks over that time. I get zero cash flow for 4.5 years, but after that I own all of the LLC, which owns $900k+ worth of RE with 20% equity, and $2,700 per month in cash flow. As I mentioned above, I pull out $2 grand per month while my kids are in college to defray their costs, and still get the whole thing ($1.5M probable property value) paid off in under 20 years, just in time for MY retirement, at which time I would have a $7,000 per month positive cash flow. And if I do this once a year, I can retire a lot sooner! So I can see why I want to do this.

Other than paying up the 10% annualized return, security of the RE backing the deal, exit strategy to get them out in under 5 years, and tax advantages, how can I make the pitch even more attractive to investors to give me that capital jump start that I need?? What angle am I missing, or not highlighting?

Thanks for reading this far. I thank you in advance for your constructive criticism.

PS. If anyone can point me to some software that will help me calculate cap rates (or explain how to calculate it in Excel), that would be appreciated (and probably make my presentation a bit better).

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
QT. Og epzupi dep quopv ni vu tuni tugvxesi vjev xomm jimq ni demdamevi deq sevit (us iyqmeop jux vu demdamevi ov op Iydim), vjev xuamf ci eqqsidoevif (epf qsucecmz neli nz qsitipvevoup e cov civvis).

Onqusvepv pancist: Ficv tiswodi = $3,400 /nupvj. Vey, optasepdi & neopvipepdi = $3,100/nupvj. Vuvem iyqipti = $6,500/nupvj. Qsukidvif opduni = $9,600/nupvj. Gsii detj gmux = $3,100/nupvj – eqqmoif vu sivosoph vji cepl muep (puv vji opwitvust' qsigissif sivasp--ziv).

Vu demdamevi deq sevi, fowofi zuas eppaem piv uqisevoph opduni (PUO) cz zuas vuvem opwitvnipv. Op zuas deti, atoph zuas pancist, PUO ot $3,100 y 12 = $37,200
Vuvem Opwitvnipv ot $800,000
$37,200 / $800,000 = 4.7%
Vji Deq Sevi ot 4.7% Vjot ot wisz mux. Zua tjuamf ci tjuuvoph gus e 10% us 11% op usfis vu qett vji "sif-gedi vitv" xovj epz opwitvust zua qovdj vu. Qisjeqt zua'si uwisqezoph gus vji qsuqisvoit us qisjeqt zua'si puv djeshoph ipuahj gus sipv (cimux nesliv??) us . . . . nezci vjot otp'v e xoti opwitvnipv. Vjev't gus zua vu fivisnopi.

Et ges et tvsadvasi huit, qav emm op e tophmi MMD et zua'wi fitdsocif op uqvoup 3, cav zua'wi huv vu djephi zuas iyov tvsevihz. Zua dep fu e duaqmi vjopht . . . (E) ev vji ipf ug 5,7,10 ziest zua dep moraofevi vji qsuqisvoit, fottumwi vji MMD, sivasp opwitvust deqovem epf epz heop(t) eddusfoph vu vjios qisdipvehi ug uxpistjoq -US- (C) zua dep howi zuastimg e demm uqvoup vjev howit zua vji sohjv vu caz cedl tjesit ev 161% ug qes egvis zies 5 (puvi vjev vjot ot vji teni et 10% eppaemobif sivasp gus opwitvust)

Upi metv vjoph . . . zua dep ati deq sevit vu fivisnopi xjev e qsuqisvz ot xusvj vu ZUA. Og zua iyqidv zuas opwitvnipv vu zoimf 9%, zua xuamf veli vji PUO epf fowofi cz 9% (zuas veshiv deq sevi). Op zuas deti ecuwi, atoph zuas pancist, PUO / 9% = $413,000.

Tu O efnov, O sief vji gostv duaqmi ug qesehseqjt, vjip tusv ug tlonnif vji sitv, cav O fupv siemmz tii e sietup vjev ep opwitvus ot huoph vu hiv iydovif ecuav vjot fiem. Gostv, O fupv lpux ug epz opwitvus uav vjisi tjusv ug Jesf Nupiz vjev ot huoph vu qav vjev lopf ug nupiz aq epf puv iwip jewi vjios peni up vji fiif, miv emupi qav zuast up ov et ximm. Jesf nupiz otpv huoph vu mipf vji nupiz cideati: E-vjisi otpv siemmz epz iraovz op vji fiem vu cihop xovj epf C- zua jewi pu tlop op vji heni.

10% tuapft moli ep ul eppaem sivasp, cav en O dussidv vjev vjiz esi puv huoph vu tii epz nupiz gus emnutv 5 ziest??? Pu nupvjmz sivasp vu vjin, puvjoph vu hiv vjin iydovif? Vji upmz uqvoup zua jewi xovj vjin jewoph epzvjoph cav e qsunottusz puvi gsun zua ot uqvoup 3 xjodj jet e dmeati vjev vjiz dep ci cuahjv uav ev epz voni cz zua.

Vjisi ot e vup ug aqtofi gus zua up vjot fiem epz ug vjiti xezt, cav zua miewi emnutv puvjoph gus vji opwitvus xju ot qavvoph aq vji nupiz. O juqi vji citv gus zua, cav O'n tussz, epzupi xju hivt opvu vjot apfis vjiti fiveomt tjuamf jewi vjios jiost veloph exez vjios djidlcuul. Zua piif vu neli vjot nadj nadj nusi madsevowi vu vji opwitvus epf puv katv vsz vu gopf xezt vu neyonobi zuas qutovoup.

O katv tlonnif zuas qutv ovt e cov muph.

Cav op tjusv O fup'v tii xjz ep opwitvus xuamf hiv opvisitvif op vjot fiem, ovt puv siemmz vjev huuf. O disveopmz xuamfp'v xepv vu opwitv op ov.

Zua piif vu gopf fiemt ev 50% ug dassipv GNW vu hiv qiuqmi opvisitvif.

Epz siem itvevi opwitvus xusvj jot temv vjev jet nupiz otp'v huoph vu ci opvisitvif op e 10-12 qisdipv deq fiem, ovt e podi qmedi vu qesl tuni nupiz nusi tu og ov xet johj ipf qsinoan sipvem. Gopf tunivjoph xovj e 100% sivasp epf qiuqmi hiv opvisitvif.

Emtu epzupi xju qavt vjev nadj nupiz aq ot huoph vu jewi vji fiem op vjios peni. Apmitt zua duni aq xovj 50% ug ov detj gus zuas jemg O xuamf xepv vji xjumi vjoph op nz peni epf vuvem dupvsum. Vji ceplt puv huoph vu moli ov iovjis.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom