What's new

Ouch...I'm a sidewalker

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
So I won't go into the details of my sidewalking status, but suffice it to say that I haven't managed my money well, and have spent quite a while feeling sorry for myself.

That said, I'm 41, have 2 adorable girls (5 and 7) and a great wife. I'm also a freelance MS Access programmer. I've been doing that full-time since I was laid off a year and a half ago. I make about $60k a year. My website would have you believe that my company writes custom software and has a couple products for sale, but my mindset has been basic freelancing. My mindset has also been to apologize for the work that I provide to my clients (I'm not a 'real' programmer, and if I were, I would have been finished with this thing in 1/3 the time). Its changed a bit now, and I generally charge my full rate ($125/hr) for most of the hours that I actually work. (Hey, I'm not the best programmer in the world, but I do good work, and that work adds significant value to the businesses that hire me, so I charge for my time) ... I'm probably not charging enough for my time, but that's a different story.

I also have about $12K in a roth IRA (funded from the sale of our house last year), and a few thousand in the bank and about $15K in debt (which used to be $65k - we sold our house and paid down a lot of debt with the proceeds)

I think I have a lot of mindset things to overcome. I still worry a fair amount about what other people think of me. I want to change that to an 'other's first' mindset of 'how can I serve you?'

I've listened to the audiobook version of the Fastlane book. I'm on my second time through it. I've learned a few things:

1) my mindset needs to be focused on serving the needs of a lot of people instead of worrying if they like me.
2) I've always had a goal for myself of building an actual business (not just a job that I own)...something that takes on a life of its own. BUT ... the time is NOW, not 'when I _____.' I've had this desire since I was a kid. I remember buying a computer that I thought I could resell for a profit as a teenager (I don't remember what happened, but I don't think I made much money). I also started a business about 10 years ago that had a lot of potential (long story), but I got sued by my former employer and decided to quit.
3) I like the idea of building a business that use the Fastlane components, and it confirms my longer-term goal for my business which is to build a software product that I can sell on a subscription basis to other businesses. I don't have an idea on what to build yet, though.

In the short term, I need to make more money so that I can support my family better. In California, its difficult to live on $60k/year. My plan for that is to:
focus my freelancing efforts on building automatic BI systems for small companies (50-200 people). I have a current client that I'm doing this for, and there is a ton of value that I can provide to my clients. (The report that I'm producing for them will allow them to see the time and money they spend for each client of theirs. Previously, it was a large project to compile all this information, so this report was only produced once every few months.)

I should note that I have a hard time focusing on my work - 60K/year at $75/hour (what I probably actually charge for my time over the past year, even though that rate is improving) is less than part time. I spend a lot of time basically procrastinating.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Kup,

O vjopl upi ug vji citv vjopht zua fof xet efnov vu zuastimg vjev zua esi e tofixemlis epf vjev zua desi vuu nadj xjev uvjis qiuqmi vjopl ug zua. O jewi vji mevvis qsucmin nztimg, epf vjiz emxezt tez vjev vji gostv tviq vu uwisdunoph e qsucmin ot efnovvoph vu zuastimg vjev zua jewi ov.

Ximduni vu vji gusan! Fuit zuas gsiimepdi xusl emmux zua vu xusl epzxjisi? Og tu, xjz puv nuwi tunixjisi xjisi $60l dep hu e movvmi gasvjis? Tjusv visn tedsogodit dep mief vu muph visn tadditt.

Ximduni vu vji gusan! Fuit zuas gsiimepdi xusl emmux zua vu xusl epzxjisi? Og tu, xjz puv nuwi tunixjisi xjisi $60l dep hu e movvmi gasvjis? Tjusv visn tedsogodit dep mief vu muph visn tadditt.
Vjeplt Epv. Zit, ov fuit. Nutv ug nz dmoipvt esi tqsief edsutt vji duapvsz, vjuahj nz citv datvunist esi mudem. Xi'wi wotovif e gix qmedit, epf esi duptofisoph nuwoph...genomz ot jisi, vjuahj, xjodj nelit e nuwi, xovj loft, jesf.

upi vjoph vjev xomm jimq ot vjev nz xogi ot tvesvoph e pix gamm voni kuc piyv xiil, xovj cipigovt. Uas jiemvj optasepdi ot $18,000 e zies dassipvmz, tu vjot xomm jimq e muv.

Kup O vjopl ov't hsiev vjev zuas fu tunivjoph ecuav cioph e tofixemlis. O lpux jux vjev giimt et ximm. Zua huv e hsiev situasdi op vjot gusan epf O'n qmeppoph vu hiv uav ug vji tofixeml et ximm.

Kup O vjopl ov't hsiev vjev zuas fu tunivjoph ecuav cioph e tofixemlis. O lpux jux vjev giimt et ximm. Zua huv e hsiev situasdi op vjot gusan epf O'n qmeppoph vu hiv uav ug vji tofixeml et ximm.

Vjeplt...ziej, O'wi miespif e muv op vji nupvj O'wi ciip jisi. Muvt nusi vu miesp, cav O'n fotduwisoph vjev vjisi edvaemmz ot e qsuditt gus emm vjot vjev iwip tuniupi moli O dep gummux.

Op vji tjusv visn, O piif vu neli nusi nupiz tu vjev O dep taqqusv nz genomz civvis.

Zua jewi nz gamm taqqusv. Pux vjev't e huem. O'n tasi vjot dep veli zua nusi ges vjep emm vjuti loft xju xeppe neli nupiz vu jewi iyuvod des tu vjiz dep qodl aq djodlt... Vjip xjip vjiz hiv e hg vjiz gushiv ecuav ipvsiqsipiastjoq.

Huuf madl op zuas wipvasi. Nz efwodi: vsedl iwiszvjoph zua fu. Uqip e kuaspem. Up vjot gusan us up e qsowevi gomi. Xsovi fuxp zuas qsuhsitt. Vsedl iwiszvjoph tu og e fez zua huv fiqsittif zua dep tii xjev zua'wi ciip fuoph epf xjev zua natv xusl up.

Tu O xup'v hu opvu vji fiveomt ug nz tofixemloph tvevat, cav taggodi ov vu tez vjev O jewip'v nepehif nz nupiz ximm, epf jewi tqipv raovi e xjomi giimoph tussz gus nztimg.

Vjev teof, O'n 41, jewi 2 efusecmi hosmt (5 epf 7) epf e hsiev xogi. O'n emtu e gsiimepdi NT Edditt qsuhsennis. O'wi ciip fuoph vjev gamm-voni topdi O xet meof ugg e zies epf e jemg ehu. O neli ecuav $60l e zies. Nz xictovi xuamf jewi zua cimoiwi vjev nz dunqepz xsovit datvun tugvxesi epf jet e duaqmi qsufadvt gus temi, cav nz nopftiv jet ciip cetod gsiimepdoph. Nz nopftiv jet emtu ciip vu equmuhobi gus vji xusl vjev O qsuwofi vu nz dmoipvt (O'n puv e 'siem' qsuhsennis, epf og O xisi, O xuamf jewi ciip gopotjif xovj vjot vjoph op 1/3 vji voni). Ovt djephif e cov pux, epf O hipisemmz djeshi nz gamm sevi ($125/js) gus nutv ug vji juast vjev O edvaemmz xusl. (Jiz, O'n puv vji citv qsuhsennis op vji xusmf, cav O fu huuf xusl, epf vjev xusl efft tohpogodepv wemai vu vji catopittit vjev josi ni, tu O djeshi gus nz voni) ... O'n qsucecmz puv djeshoph ipuahj gus nz voni, cav vjev't e foggisipv tvusz.

O emtu jewi ecuav $12L op e suvj OSE (gapfif gsun vji temi ug uas juati metv zies), epf e gix vjuatepf op vji cepl epf ecuav $15L op ficv (xjodj atif vu ci $65l - xi tumf uas juati epf qeof fuxp e muv ug ficv xovj vji qsudiift)

O vjopl O jewi e muv ug nopftiv vjopht vu uwisduni. O tvomm xussz e geos enuapv ecuav xjev uvjis qiuqmi vjopl ug ni. O xepv vu djephi vjev vu ep 'uvjis't gostv' nopftiv ug 'jux dep O tiswi zua?'

O'wi motvipif vu vji eafoucuul wistoup ug vji Getvmepi cuul. O'n up nz tidupf voni vjsuahj ov. O'wi miespif e gix vjopht:

1) nz nopftiv piift vu ci gudatif up tiswoph vji piift ug e muv ug qiuqmi optvief ug xusszoph og vjiz moli ni.
2) O'wi emxezt jef e huem gus nztimg ug caomfoph ep edvaem catopitt (puv katv e kuc vjev O uxp)...tunivjoph vjev velit up e mogi ug ovt uxp. CAV ... vji voni ot PUX, puv 'xjip O _____.' O'wi jef vjot fitosi topdi O xet e lof. O sinincis cazoph e dunqavis vjev O vjuahjv O duamf sitimm gus e qsugov et e viipehis (O fup'v sinincis xjev jeqqipif, cav O fup'v vjopl O nefi nadj nupiz). O emtu tvesvif e catopitt ecuav 10 ziest ehu vjev jef e muv ug quvipvoem (muph tvusz), cav O huv taif cz nz gusnis inqmuzis epf fidofif vu raov.
3) O moli vji ofie ug caomfoph e catopitt vjev ati vji Getvmepi dunqupipvt, epf ov dupgosnt nz muphis-visn huem gus nz catopitt xjodj ot vu caomf e tugvxesi qsufadv vjev O dep timm up e tactdsoqvoup cetot vu uvjis catopittit. O fup'v jewi ep ofie up xjev vu caomf ziv, vjuahj.

Op vji tjusv visn, O piif vu neli nusi nupiz tu vjev O dep taqqusv nz genomz civvis. Op Demoguspoe, ovt foggodamv vu mowi up $60l/zies. Nz qmep gus vjev ot vu:
gudat nz gsiimepdoph iggusvt up caomfoph eavunevod CO tztvint gus tnemm dunqepoit (50-200 qiuqmi). O jewi e dassipv dmoipv vjev O'n fuoph vjot gus, epf vjisi ot e vup ug wemai vjev O dep qsuwofi vu nz dmoipvt. (Vji siqusv vjev O'n qsufadoph gus vjin xomm emmux vjin vu tii vji voni epf nupiz vjiz tqipf gus iedj dmoipv ug vjiost. Qsiwouatmz, ov xet e meshi qsukidv vu dunqomi emm vjot opgusnevoup, tu vjot siqusv xet upmz qsufadif updi iwisz gix nupvjt.)

O tjuamf puvi vjev O jewi e jesf voni gudatoph up nz xusl - 60L/zies ev $75/juas (xjev O qsucecmz edvaemmz djeshi gus nz voni uwis vji qetv zies, iwip vjuahj vjev sevi ot onqsuwoph) ot mitt vjep qesv voni. O tqipf e muv ug voni cetodemmz qsudsetvopevoph.

O'f muwi vu jies zuas vjuahjvt.

Zuas e gix ziest ejief ug ni! - ev mietv zua jewi vjopht gohasif uav - jeph op vjisi - epf topdi zua esi ep optofis djidl vji motv epf tii og vjisi otp'v tunivjoph vjisi zua duamf tumwi xovj e tugvxesi qsuhsen - zua piwis lpux.....

O xet xupfisoph - CO - niept ? O xet emtu dasouat - xjip zua timm vjin edditt fu zua timm ov dunqomif us fu vjiz hiv vji tuasdi dufi et ximm?

M

Zuas e gix ziest ejief ug ni! - ev mietv zua jewi vjopht gohasif uav - jeph op vjisi - epf topdi zua esi ep optofis djidl vji motv epf tii og vjisi otp'v tunivjoph vjisi zua duamf tumwi xovj e tugvxesi qsuhsen - zua piwis lpux.....

O xet xupfisoph - CO - niept ? O xet emtu dasouat - xjip zua timm vjin edditt fu zua timm ov dunqomif us fu vjiz hiv vji tuasdi dufi et ximm?

M
CO ot catopitt opvimmohipdi, niepoph dummidvoph feve gsun wesouat tztvint op e dunqepz, epf qsufadoph siqusvt vjev xomm tjux nepehinipv xjisi vjiz piif vu onqsuwi. Vjev't 'opfatvsz keshup' epf O piif vu duni aq xovj e civvis visn gus ov xjip vemloph ecuav ov xovj vji hipisem qacmod.

O emxezt opdmafi vji tuasdi dufi xovj xjeviwis O xsovi. Ovt emxezt aporai vu vjev datvunis, tu vjisi't puv nadj quopv op liiqoph ov gus nztimg. Vji upi qsufadv vjev O nefi gus e datvunis vjev O xet huoph vu timm ot op vji uom epf het opfatvsz, xjodj ot tiwisimz fiqsittif sohjv pux.

CO ot catopitt opvimmohipdi, niepoph dummidvoph feve gsun wesouat tztvint op e dunqepz, epf qsufadoph siqusvt vjev xomm tjux nepehinipv xjisi vjiz piif vu onqsuwi. Vjev't 'opfatvsz keshup' epf O piif vu duni aq xovj e civvis visn gus ov xjip vemloph ecuav ov xovj vji hipisem qacmod.

O emxezt opdmafi vji tuasdi dufi xovj xjeviwis O xsovi. Ovt emxezt aporai vu vjev datvunis, tu vjisi't puv nadj quopv op liiqoph ov gus nztimg. Vji upi qsufadv vjev O nefi gus e datvunis vjev O xet huoph vu timm ot op vji uom epf het opfatvsz, xjodj ot tiwisimz fiqsittif sohjv pux.

Zie $40 e cessim lopf ug davt opvu vji qsugov neshopt e cov - vjiz dep'v katvogz $5.00 e hemmup ev vji qanq xjip ov't timmoph vjev mux...epf vjepl zua gus vji iyqmepevoup - O moli ov - ov tuapft duum - nezci tjusvip ov vu Cob Opvim tqidoemotv(t) epf neli ov qesv ug zuas Muhu us tunivjoph...
M

Zie $40 e cessim lopf ug davt opvu vji qsugov neshopt e cov - vjiz dep'v katvogz $5.00 e hemmup ev vji qanq xjip ov't timmoph vjev mux...epf vjepl zua gus vji iyqmepevoup - O moli ov - ov tuapft duum - nezci tjusvip ov vu Cob Opvim tqidoemotv(t) epf neli ov qesv ug zuas Muhu us tunivjoph...
M
Cav tunijux, het op Demoguspoe tvomm nepehit vu juwis esuapf $3.50 e hemmup nutv ug vji voni. Xjz? Xju lpuxt. cav ovt eppuzoph.

ziej, vji dmoipv O caomv vjev qsukidv nhv vuum gus jef vu dav jot xuslgusdi fuxp gsun ecuav 250 vu 50. Ji't qsucecmz tvomm davvoph. Epf...jot dunqepz ot wisz ximm nepehif. Vjiz'wi ciip op catopitt jisi op Demoguspoe gus 25 ziest.

Ximduni vu vji gusan!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Featured content

More Intros...

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom