The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Personal Car dilemma

Anything related to investing, including crypto

IntelligentIdiot

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
May 19, 2023
Hey everyone, having a dilemma on my car. Currently have a truck with 200k miles that’s worth maybe 5k. I don’t need it for truck things anymore and the gas costs me 250-300 a month. Additionally the model is known for having issues and hasn’t been the most reliable for me in general. I’m in the process of growing my income and within months expect it to increase. I can’t decide between

A. Keep the truck for now( also moving across country and don’t trust it, additional gas cost is a waste, and I have no use for it)

B. Sell it and get a used Honda (but also taking a gamble on another used 4/5k beater)

C. Lease a fuel efficient car that will nearly cover the lease payment just in gas savings, also allowing me to have something reliable and focus on business. Find someone to take over the lease when my income increases and I get something i like a bit more than just practicality

I realize none of the savings are long term strategies but my main focus is on having something reliable for 6mo-1yr so I can focus on business. Any suggestions? Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
Hey everyone, having a dilemma on my car. Currently have a truck with 200k miles that’s worth maybe 5k. I don’t need it for truck things anymore and the gas costs me 250-300 a month. Additionally the model is known for having issues and hasn’t been the most reliable for me in general. I’m in the process of growing my income and within months expect it to increase. I can’t decide between

A. Keep the truck for now( also moving across country and don’t trust it, additional gas cost is a waste, and I have no use for it)

B. Sell it and get a used Honda (but also taking a gamble on another used 4/5k beater)

C. Lease a fuel efficient car that will nearly cover the lease payment just in gas savings, also allowing me to have something reliable and focus on business. Find someone to take over the lease when my income increases and I get something i like a bit more than just practicality

I realize none of the savings are long term strategies but my main focus is on having something reliable for 6mo-1yr so I can focus on business. Any suggestions? Thank you

Might as well keep using the truck because any beater car you can get for 3 to 5k will have its own problems.

Plus, the process of selling the car, buying a new car and registering it will take too much time. Basically, the few dollars saved will not justify the little gain.

Hopefully, when you get the income you are expecting, you can make a better decision not out of desperation, but for now I think you should be patient. Good luck!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Every car is junk. If it truly is to the point of distraction and going to harm your business prospects for example, breaking down on the way to meetings, causing you to rethink business travel plans... Sell it and get something you can trust.

Finance the living hell out of a brand new Kia or something for 15k with a long warranty and forget about this.

Last edited:

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

As a car guy and mechanic keep the truck, you know its quirks and issues... Better than a mystery car plus it's paid off, maybe even invest some money into it. 200K is not that many miles.. Sell it before you move, get a rental. And find something in your new state.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fran_C

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 8, 2022
Chile
If I was in your position I'd probably keep the truck and use it until the wheels fall off and I can afford a newer model fully paid. In some specific cases the devil you know is better than the one you don't and I feel as though you might be taking a gamble in purchasing another used car, unless you know your mechanic stuff, in that case then your chances increase a bit, but ultimately is up to you, try to use the decision models Mj talks about.

I think the WADM (weighted average decision matrix) could work best here, but then again the WCCA (worst case consequence analysis) could also suffice, good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.