What's new

Perth Aussie: The Entrepreneur from down under

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Born-To-Run

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
INTRO

Well here I am, writing up my introduction. I'm not the greatest talking about myself but here goes.

First of all my name is Jake. I want to start off by saying I feel like I've always wanted to be my own boss, I always struggled to get along well with any of my bosses because working for someone else just wasn't for me. Call it ego (honestly I think its a family thing haha) but I think myself better than that, or better put I know I can do so much more.

I half a$$ ran my own one man computer repair business for a short time, while I was at uni, I say half a$$ because I was more interested in partying and chasing girls. I'm not much older than I was then but a lot has changed with my mindset, I don't want to get into it but in short I'm looking to the future, I want to look back and be able to say I matter, I did something.

Like i said I'm not the best at intros so I think ill leave that is it is and go on to talk about my motivation, where I am as an entrepreneur and some goals I have for the short term and long term, I want to write these down so I have a road-map to comeback to.

Motivation:

I had a phonecall with a mate of mine recently (more family than a mate), we were reminiscing about sitting around on the weekend, shooting the shit with the boys. I said how it sucks that as you get older you have less time for the people you care about, everyone's working, there's no time to enjoy life. I'll be honest, that thought was depressing.

I don't want to be stuck in a never ending grind until I'm in my 60's and unable to enjoy life to its fullest, I'm 23 right now and ill be damned if I don't bust a$$ and enjoy my life.

I have family that struggle financially, I dream of the day where I can walk through the door and say our lives start now. No more worries, financial freedom.

In short, from what I discussed in my intro and above, I want to help the people I care about and I want to succeed, to look at myself and say without a doubt I built myself up and improved the lives of those I care about.

My entrepreneur journey (so far):

So I've always been interested in computers, I did computer repair because I knew how and needed the money and I was doing ok at it, on my best week I made around $200.

This is from advertising purely locally with gumtree (australian form of craiglist, much better looking haha) and flyers stuck up around my local univeristy. I left a lot of money on the table by not expanding my advertising (No website, half a$$ gumtree adverts, not running a mailing campaign to local residents), but my heart wasn't in it.

I wanted the money so i could party and on top of it if I'm honest, I hate repairing computers, no matter how i slice it I would rather punch sand, you fix one problem another pops up, combined with my lack luster advertising, profits were slim so i let it die.

This being said, and i did say I hate it, I could see myself doing it again with a different outlook. Ive only been on this forum for 2 months and I feel like I'm better equipped to tackle this head on. Id start by hiring out work and launching a huge advertising campaign, anyway, more on this at later date perhaps, as right now this isn't where my focus is.

So despite the partying and half assed efforts on my part I do not regret anything I've done, I had a great time partying and doing what I want, I think that's the main take away from this forum, to be able to do what you want and that's what resonates with me.

For the sake of trying to keep this short, heres what happened after the partying. I knew I wanted to start my own business at some point but thought I needed large amounts of capital. I changed degrees to a different course, one that would pay 100-150k a year upon completion (capital).

The course was 4 years, I had to spend 1 year bridging to this course and 1 year studying the degree (so 3 years left to study). As of right now I'm at the end of the first year and I wont be going back, the course Isn't for me, I only wanted to do it for the capital and as I'm sure a lot of you know doing anything purely for money is a road to failure.

Looking to the future

So where to from here? I've entertained thoughts of restarting the computer repair business but right now its not in the cards. I came across the thread by @Fox about becoming a website designer and reading through it, I could not be more excited to start.

I try to avoid jumping to the next best thing (I feel this is something all starting entrepreneurs deal with) because I don't want my drive to be influenced by what seems hip and cool at the time.

That being said, I need something to sink my teeth into, learn the ropes of running a business and this for me is the perfect starting point. I did website design briefly a while ago for a mate of mine. I spent 12 hours a day coding that website for a full week (their was no money involved), I did this because I enjoyed it and wanted to help out a mate, I'm sure I can apply this enthusiasm to doing web design as a business.

Skills I have:
  • Designing websites in html and css
Skills that interest me:
  • Copywriting <<
  • SEO marketing <
  • Adsense marketing
  • Social media marketing
In short I want to be a go to guy for launching websites and online advertising. My focus for now is going to be on getting my first client and studying copywriting as well as learning the basics of SEO in the time not spent working on the business.

Plan / Business Goals:

• Aim for 300 cold calls to local businesses each week, that's 43 calls a day. Calling from 9-5, that's 6 calls an hour.
  • Find first customer, design free website (Maybe do at most 3 free websites for exposure). Give client access to website for one month free (so they see the benefit) then charge a monthly maintenance fee (renting).
  • build reputation, client list and webdesign agency.
  • contract out.
  • Start a new project.

Personal Improvement Goals:
  • Learn basic SEO strategy
  • Become proficient at copywriting
Financial Goals:
  • $2000 a week in a revenue from my business
Personal Goals:

I read recently when defining personal goals to really expand on what you want, go into detail to get a clear defined path. So that what ill be doing.
  • Get my own place that allows pets: I want a 3 bedroom house with a study. A large backyard and a large shed. An en-suite master bedroom. Garage for my gym equipment.
  • My own dog, a blueheeler named Bandit.
  • Sort out my drivers license.
  • Acquire my motorbike license.
  • Buy a royal enfield motorbike.
  • Acquire a passport.
  • Buy a 1980's style muscle car with a design such as this: http://epautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/80s-2.jpg
    (I know nothing about cars but have always wanted a car in this style)
I cant really think of anything else, but these are the things I want personally in my life.

Wew! so that was long winded, but there we have it. Dont think there's much more to add than that. I look forward to interacting with everyone in this forum, building up my business skills and relationships and getting to live my life on my terms!

- Jake

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Exituni opvsu!

O jewi genomz vjev tvsahhmi gopepdoemmz, O fsien ug vji fez xjisi O dep xeml vjsuahj vji fuus epf tez uas mowit tvesv pux. Pu nusi xussoit, gopepdoem gsiifun.

Op tjusv, gsun xjev O fotdattif op nz opvsu epf ecuwi, O xepv vu jimq vji qiuqmi O desi ecuav epf O xepv vu taddiif, vu muul ev nztimg epf tez xovjuav e fuacv O caomv nztimg aq epf onqsuwif vji mowit ug vjuti O desi ecuav.

Eneboph nuvowevoup vuu - desi gus vjuti dmutitv vu zua. Liiq ev ov, zua'mm hiv vjisi!

Ximduni

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom