The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Please help brainstorm: store of value

Cascade

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2013
Singapore
For product under development one “brick wall” to progress is to select and offer a fungible store of value.

What is a store of value?

Should act like escrow but the concept is to sell object today and buy back on another date. This way the price can be changed to transfer value. The transaction costs have to be low. The object sold has to have comparable value so there is a fair exchange (fungible value) and is sold at the prevailing market price; if customer likes to sell object someplace else then that is his choice. The "value" to customer comes on the later date when the object is bought back at a different price, say higher. Restricted only to objects purchased from us; so need to detect counterfeit

RESTRICTIONS
Don’t want to collect deposit as this is what banks do (and for many reasons we don’t want to be a bank)

Don’t want to hold custody as this is what trustee do (and for many reasons we don’t want to be a trustee)

Initially thought of object being a minted gold coin but the transaction costs are high and there is problems with identity. We don’t want to be buying gold coin we did not originally sell because the object is not the real product; only a store of value.

The lowest transaction costs is some form of digital money (e.g. Pyapal) Is there some other digital store of value?

Edit:
The valuation should be consistent
The object should be fungible for the mainstreet average person
The value of the object should either be somewhat divisible or be in small enough denominations e.g. $1,000 or $10,000

A bank CD comes really close but still fail because we are not (and don't want to be) a bank

Thank you for your comments

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 13, 2014
"Is there some other digital store of value?"

Information. But Google kinda beat you to the punch on that one. :) (although e-mail lists many here build is another example)

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
478%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida

Cascade

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2013
Singapore
"Is there some other digital store of value?"

Information. But Google kinda beat you to the punch on that one. :) (although e-mail lists many here build is another example)

OUCH!!!!!!!

completely different frequency

the object replicates concept of ESCROW

Product works by holding a larger portion of the cash

So for something familiar...say product cost $10

Customer has to put deposit of $200

So on Monday the Object is $210. Customer gives cash $210 and gets to hold object

And on Tuesday we buy back the object for $200, take back object and customer receives $200

Cascade

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2013
Singapore
I like the way you think.

how fungible is email list for a mainstreet customer?

how many people can take email list, decide no longer want to exchange back for the cash value and walk into [insert type of store here] and sell the list for cash?

so in this aspect email list is not a fungible store of value suitable for average guy

Cascade

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2013
Singapore
Real Estate, Privately held business(s), classic cars, etc.

Thank you for idea for store of value

the transaction costs is quite high and not sure how fungible, especially for privately held business or classic cars.

Another potential issue is consistent valuation. 2 equally skilled professionals will arrive at different prices for these

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 13, 2014
Sounds like you need to be in the Payday lending and/or title lending business. Good luck!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
how fungible is email list for a mainstreet customer?

how many people can take email list, decide no longer want to exchange back for the cash value and walk into [insert type of store here] and sell the list for cash?

so in this aspect email list is not a fungible store of value suitable for average guy
no it's not

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
appreciate you took the time to suggest

Let's keep searching :)
I think you missed the point @Bouncing Soul is probably not average. We are likely looking from different perspectives. I'm looking for value, I think that you might be looking for a product?

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 13, 2014
Exactly, @jon.a I quoted what I specifically was addressing a sort of digital store of value that might not be totally obvious.

I don't understand the product trying to be built here, specifically, the problem being solved.

Bitcoin (and other crypto currencies) is basically built to be a digital currency with the advantages of a hard, non-gov issued money like gold. I assumed you already have read about these in detail though, @smhon.

Cascade

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2013
Singapore
I think you missed the point @Bouncing Soul is probably not average. We are likely looking from different perspectives. I'm looking for value, I think that you might be looking for a product?

wasn't it clear enough looking for OBJECT ?

What can this OBJECT be?

OBJECT is a store of value

@jon.a @Bouncing Soul
have post with more details in INSIDERS section.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't understand this either. Here are some objects that are valuable and could be sold elsewhere:

Oil
Gasoline
Wheat
Pork Bellies
Pretty much any other commodity.
Bitcoin

What problem are you trying to solve?

Cascade

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2013
Singapore
Exactly, @jon.a I quoted what I specifically was addressing a sort of digital store of value that might not be totally obvious.

I don't understand the product trying to be built here, specifically, the problem being solved.

Bitcoin (and other crypto currencies) is basically built to be a digital currency with the advantages of a hard, non-gov issued money like gold. I assumed you already have read about these in detail though, @smhon.

cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin or other digital commodities meets most of criteria:
* low transaction cost
* fungible value

But the challenge is
1. how to trace who were original buyer vs. somebody who just decided come along to sell OBJECT for cash?

2. The market price is volatile and fluctuate very much. 1 BTC for $200 on Monday can be $260 and a week later $210

Had considered a cashcard but then the issue was once loaded with funds, it could be drawn down by customer at any retail outlet

Cascade

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2013
Singapore
I don't understand this either. Here are some objects that are valuable and could be sold elsewhere:

Oil
Gasoline
Wheat
Pork Bellies
Pretty much any other commodity.
Bitcoin

What problem are you trying to solve?

@Mr.B posted a INE that describes the broader idea

This post on Stored Value is the first part to solve

Looking for suitable OBJECT that secures high-trust with customer and functions like a escrow account
And to do this outside of a banking facility where possible because the regulatory compliance costs are increasing exponentially
Base case is if customer puts in $1,000 today, he should be able to receive back $1,000 next month

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.