- Joined
- Nov 14, 2011
- Messages
- 2,486
Rep Bank
$5,240
$5,240
User Power: 434%
I'm keeping this thread as a journal of my lessons I'm learning as I'm growing my business from a one-man show to a larger, more lasting business. The things I write here aren't necessarily because I'm experienced at the things I write about...but just insights on this next stage of my journey.
I have other threads on mindset/motivation and the personal follow along for Limitless (which is more about updates and accountability for my YouTube channel).
Saying Thank You
I went to a meetup group today with a mix of entrepreneurs, employees and the COO of a company.
One of the men there was an older gentleman who gave me a reminder of the importance of getting offline, and unplugging from the typical way our younger generation communicates now (heads buried in our digital devices, text message, and emails).
When he mentioned this, the girl who is a COO of a digital marketing agency mentioned how the founder of the company makes home-made mustard once a year and cans them in little jars for the holidays.
Every year he sends them out to all of his clients, employees, and contractors.
The vibe I got this is that "a little bit goes a long way".
I was watching an episode of Gary V. before the meetup and he also said that for prospective clients, he likes to do something personal for them.
He spent $350 on an autographed jersey of the person's favorite sports team, and sent it to the person. He never heard back, but a couple new clients came his way and said the guy couldn't stop raving about it...and he got new customers from it.
The mustard story - the girl got a phone call from an old client of theirs and the client said "this really meant a lot to me - because of this, the client switched back....and is a 5 figure per year client.
..because of a can of mustard.
Then the older gentleman said he thanks his employees multiple times a day. Even a sincere thank you can make a huge difference.
What good is knowledge if I'm not going to apply it?
Going forward, I'm going to email the advertisers who purchased an ad in our magazine, send out a thank you - and also offer any other help we can to help them with their business.
Not because I think it'll increase sales (they are already customers), but just because it feels like the right thing to do.
The other lesson I learned tonight was to get out and make more face-to-face contacts. Meetup.com is where I started with that.
I have other threads on mindset/motivation and the personal follow along for Limitless (which is more about updates and accountability for my YouTube channel).
Saying Thank You
I went to a meetup group today with a mix of entrepreneurs, employees and the COO of a company.
One of the men there was an older gentleman who gave me a reminder of the importance of getting offline, and unplugging from the typical way our younger generation communicates now (heads buried in our digital devices, text message, and emails).
When he mentioned this, the girl who is a COO of a digital marketing agency mentioned how the founder of the company makes home-made mustard once a year and cans them in little jars for the holidays.
Every year he sends them out to all of his clients, employees, and contractors.
The vibe I got this is that "a little bit goes a long way".
I was watching an episode of Gary V. before the meetup and he also said that for prospective clients, he likes to do something personal for them.
He spent $350 on an autographed jersey of the person's favorite sports team, and sent it to the person. He never heard back, but a couple new clients came his way and said the guy couldn't stop raving about it...and he got new customers from it.
The mustard story - the girl got a phone call from an old client of theirs and the client said "this really meant a lot to me - because of this, the client switched back....and is a 5 figure per year client.
..because of a can of mustard.
Then the older gentleman said he thanks his employees multiple times a day. Even a sincere thank you can make a huge difference.
What good is knowledge if I'm not going to apply it?
Going forward, I'm going to email the advertisers who purchased an ad in our magazine, send out a thank you - and also offer any other help we can to help them with their business.
Not because I think it'll increase sales (they are already customers), but just because it feels like the right thing to do.
The other lesson I learned tonight was to get out and make more face-to-face contacts. Meetup.com is where I started with that.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
