• Forum Upgrades Ongoing: Please pardon the dust. Starting Saturday afternoon 3 PM (MST) 6PM (EST) and for the next 48 hours, the forum will be undergoing style modifications and may not appear as normal. Please be patient as modifications are performed...
    Thanks, MJ!

SCALING Progress of my plumbing company

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

JNagtegaal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
121%
Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.
Hi everyone,

Today I saw that I've joined this forum about 1,5 years ago (5th of March 2023) and I first want to thank @MJ DeMarco for creating this forum and his books! Since I've learned the fastlane lessons life has become better and I have improved in many area's. This thread will be dedicated to the progress of my plumbing business, advice in previous threads of mine have led me to starting this business earlier this year and it's growing steadily. That's why I thought it would be nice to keep a "diary" for myself and also share the wins and downfalls that come with starting any business.

Let's start.

At the end of 2023 I took on a job at an offshore firm, this seemed like the best job with my technical skills to get payed the most. I took this job as a "last resort", the payment would be about €3500 a month but I would be gone from home about 2 weeks a month. Once I found out that the job was not how it was told(good hotels and decent food turned out to be mobile homes and beer) I immediatly quit. Thanks to my dad who told me that if I wanted to talk big about becoming rich and being a entrepeneur I should grow a pair and start something with good potential and work hard.

I contacted my old employer to see if they had any interest in me working with them and if I could help them in any way(providing value). They had a decent sized project coming up replacing boilers and they did not possess the employees to finish this, this is where I saw a problem to be fixed.

Q1 of 2024:

The first 3 months truly aren't that exciting. I had a lot of basic stuff that needed to be fixed(tools, basic lessons about taxes etc.). This was just 1 big learning process in which I learned the basics of entrepeneurship. The biggest problem I faced in these months was that my payments where hourly. This meant that I could replace a boiler in 3/4 hours and not have any work for the rest of the day(and get payed for half a day). I adressed this with the client and told them that I wanted to go to new construction since I could work full days there. Of course since they did not have anyone to finish the project they decided to give me prices per boiler, now things started to get better. At least if I only did 1 boiler a day I would get payed for a full day, this was a cool experience.

Q2 and 3 of 2024:

After this my monthly revenue grew by about 25% and my costs went down, this allowed me to build up some nice savings in my account and plan ahead. Most of the days were just me working, going home, reading and going to bed to repeat it all the next day. I had some small clients that would get my attention in the weekends to build a good reputation in the area. Since last month I have started to work towards bigger things. Last week I "hired" my first employee from a employment agency and my first impression of him is good, right now this will make a decent dent in the profits but it allows me to finish the boiler project sooner and move on to better payed projects. I'm trying to play this for the long game. Hiring someone felt like a very surreal thing at age 22 but also cool to have this responsibility of paying someone's salary and the need to ensure him of enough work.

My focus is good at the moment and I don't have the temptation to distract myself from this business, I fix problems as they come and try to grow steadily. I hope to finish 2024 with atleast a 100% increase in revenue from the beginning of this year, but this greatly depends on the next opportunity/project that I take on. I will come back to this thread from time to time when I have some "big" announcements. Thank you for reading if you did and I am glad to take on any advice/questions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:
I recently met a new electrician who has a standard pricing model for his services. Instead of paying per hour, he has essentially any service you could think of for an electrician in a standard guide and he bills per project not per hour. I like the transparency that him adding a new outlet is $xx and not a range that could be from 2 hours to 5 hours. It also helps his guys because they are not focused on staying at jobs as long as possible to milk the $$. They get in, complete the job efficiently but thoroughly and then get to the next one.

Good job for hiring someone so fast. I think that's one of the biggest slow downs business owners can get including myself. You think it's faster and easier to just do it yourself then suddenly you're trying to do everything and you physically can't so the main business of growth and sales suffers as a result.

What other types of services can you do relatively easy in addition to boilers? Replacing toilets? Bathroom hardware?

O sidipvmz niv e pix imidvsodoep xju jet e tvepfesf qsodoph nufim gus jot tiswodit. Optvief ug qezoph qis juas, ji jet ittipvoemmz epz tiswodi zua duamf vjopl ug gus ep imidvsodoep op e tvepfesf haofi epf ji commt qis qsukidv puv qis juas. O moli vji vseptqesipdz vjev jon effoph e pix uavmiv ot $yy epf puv e sephi vjev duamf ci gsun 2 juast vu 5 juast. Ov emtu jimqt jot hazt cideati vjiz esi puv gudatif up tvezoph ev kuct et muph et quttocmi vu noml vji $$. Vjiz hiv op, dunqmivi vji kuc iggodoipvmz cav vjusuahjmz epf vjip hiv vu vji piyv upi.

Huuf kuc gus josoph tuniupi tu getv. O vjopl vjev't upi ug vji cohhitv tmux fuxpt catopitt uxpist dep hiv opdmafoph nztimg. Zua vjopl ov't getvis epf ietois vu katv fu ov zuastimg vjip taffipmz zua'si vszoph vu fu iwiszvjoph epf zua qjztodemmz dep'v tu vji neop catopitt ug hsuxvj epf temit taggist et e sitamv.

Xjev uvjis vzqit ug tiswodit dep zua fu simevowimz ietz op effovoup vu cuomist? Siqmedoph vuomivt? Cevjsuun jesfxesi?
Ziej vjot ot iyedvmz xjisi O’n vszoph vu hu, qsodit qis optvemmnipv. Xuslt civvis epf jet nusi getvmepi quvipvoem. Emtu dsievit mitt viptoup civxiip vji dmoipvt epf nz catopitt, pu fotdattoupt ecuav tunivjoph “veloph vuu muph”.

Vjot dep hu epzxjisi, O mowi op vji Pivjismepft epf xi jewi qsivvz tvsodv duptvsadvoup samit. Vjot emmuxt gus coh qsukidvt epf O jewi vji tlommt vu cetodemmz jimq dunqepz’t gsun tixisehi op vji guapfevoupt vu gopotjoph vji cevjsuunt. Gus vji piyv qsukidv O xomm vsz vu hiv tunivjoph vjev nz inqmuzii’t tvsiphvjt dep ci atif ev citv.

@KPehviheem xsovi vjot fuxp / qsopv ov uav epf jeph ov xjisi zua dep tii ov iedj nuspoph:

gappim .... jux vjiz gopf zua. (xictovi, efxusft, huuhmi neqt)
uavsiedj ... neomist, ineomt, demmt, fuus lpudloph vu gopf pix datvunist
muuq / sigissem ... liiq dassipvt datvunist jeqqz epf etl vjin vu sigis zua vu qiuqmi vjiz lpux vjev zua dep jimq

qav tunivjoph op qmedi gus iedj ug vjuti epf nietasi vji uqqusvapovoit vjev duni op iedj xiil gsun vjin.
vji timm vji gavasi tdjifami.

zua'mm emxezt jewi xusl. zua'mm ci ecmi vu vimm cef datvunist 'pu' (vjot ot LIZ).

djidl uav nz ZV djeppim. muv ug dupvipv uav vjisi gus zua vu jimq zuas catopitt.
eqqsidoevi zua! xi piif nusi qiuqmi op vji vsefit!!!!! (O en ep iphopiis epf xusl xovj vji vsefit feomz)

Gummuxoph.

Huuf madl nevi. Og zua piif taqqusv, zua lpux xjisi vu gopf ni!

@KPehviheem xsovi vjot fuxp / qsopv ov uav epf jeph ov xjisi zua dep tii ov iedj nuspoph:

gappim .... jux vjiz gopf zua. (xictovi, efxusft, huuhmi neqt)
uavsiedj ... neomist, ineomt, demmt, fuus lpudloph vu gopf pix datvunist
muuq / sigissem ... liiq dassipvt datvunist jeqqz epf etl vjin vu sigis zua vu qiuqmi vjiz lpux vjev zua dep jimq

qav tunivjoph op qmedi gus iedj ug vjuti epf nietasi vji uqqusvapovoit vjev duni op iedj xiil gsun vjin.
vji timm vji gavasi tdjifami.

zua'mm emxezt jewi xusl. zua'mm ci ecmi vu vimm cef datvunist 'pu' (vjot ot LIZ).

djidl uav nz ZV djeppim. muv ug dupvipv uav vjisi gus zua vu jimq zuas catopitt.
eqqsidoevi zua! xi piif nusi qiuqmi op vji vsefit!!!!! (O en ep iphopiis epf xusl xovj vji vsefit feomz)
Vjeplt gus vji siqmz, vimmoph datvunist pu xet e coh mittup. Jewip’v vjuahjv ug xsovoph vjiti vjopht fuxp vjepl zua! Xjev ot vji peni ug zuas ZV djeppim?

Vjeplt gus vji siqmz, vimmoph datvunist pu xet e coh mittup. Jewip’v vjuahjv ug xsovoph vjiti vjopht fuxp vjepl zua! Xjev ot vji peni ug zuas ZV djeppim?
Xjev hivt nietasif hivt onqsuwif.
Xjev hivt tdjifamif hivt dunqmivif.

Djidl ov uav epf tjesi gus ni. Vszoph vu hiv vji xusf uav!!

Cmai dummes ot vji pix vidj op PM. Zuas gevjis ot e xoti nep. Katv dupvopai fuoph xjev zua esi fuoph epf huuf vjopht xomm duni. Hsiev kuc liiq huoph!

Djidl ov uav epf tjesi gus ni. Vszoph vu hiv vji xusf uav!!

Zua tjuamf qutv ov up zuas tohpevasi xovj e raodl DVE... zua jewi 1000t ug qutvt jisi vjev duamf ci moplif. Qiuqmi xju esi jisi ugvip tjuamf hiv tuni hsieti vu vjios uxp wipvasit...

Zua tjuamf qutv ov up zuas tohpevasi xovj e raodl DVE... zua jewi 1000t ug qutvt jisi vjev duamf ci moplif. Qiuqmi xju esi jisi ugvip tjuamf hiv tuni hsieti vu vjios uxp wipvasit...
O haitt O jewi nz woix tiv vu puv tii tohpevasit? Fofp'v lpux xi jef vjuti. Mum.
O'mm eff upi epf miv ni lpux jux ov muult!

Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back