What's new

Progress update and UI/UX online course idea

Idea threads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Hey everybody, this is my first INSIDERS post... and I'm fired up to be part of this awesome community!

After my intro post, I decided to put my head down and work for a little while. I wanted hold off on my posting until I really had something legitimate to share or ask about.

Here's my current situation for the past year or so:
- Working as a UI/UX contractor. I basically do the visual design for mobile apps and desktop apps. I get paid $50/hr for this, and currently have one client that pays me for this rate for 40 hours a week. So I'm finally making decent money from my day job (~$100k before taxes). Before this client, I worked for a couple different clients at a time making the same rate.
- I also have my real estate license, and do a few deals a year. This year, I'll probably make an extra $20k before taxes.
- I used to work remotely for my previous clients, but now I have to be in an office M-F, 9-5. It's a beautiful office though, challenging work, and the people are awesome. I'm helping a data-driven marketing company take their internal analytics tool, and turn it into a SAAS product they can sell. So I'm learning a lot about data/analytics, which is a MUST-HAVE skill these days IMO.

So I'm making decent money, but I want more. I was thinking of ways to build a business, and I may have stumbled on an idea I could actually execute on immediately.

The idea is to make a course that shows people how to become a UI/UX designer making $100k and working remotely. Basically how to get to where I am. How to do the actual job, but also how to GET the job. And tips on working remotely, productivity tips, travel tips, etc. I've been building websites for 20 years, and I figured I could capitalize on all my knowledge and experience by building a course to teach people how to make a living designing apps, remotely from anywhere in the world.

There are a lot of UI/UX courses, but I'm thinking I can put a lifestyle spin on it, Tai Lopez style. A lot of the UI/UX courses are just sold through some platform like Udemy, but it doesn't really sell you on the lifestyle you could have. I think I can get attention by making cool posts "living the lifestyle" of a UI/UX designer. Although right now I don't work remotely because I'm focusing on helping this one client, the past few years I've been able to work from coffee shops all over the world. I think the promise of making good money as a creative, WITH the ability to work remotely is a pretty compelling offer. People really want to work remotely, and it's becoming more popular than ever. A UI/UX designer can make double what a graphic designer can make, with a few extra skills.

I feel pretty lucky to be doing the work I'm doing right now, and maybe I can help others do the same. A barista from my coffee shop just moved to NYC. I was talking to her before she left, and she told me she also wants to be a UI/UX designer. I wrote her an email with a bunch of resources and advice she should follow if she wants to head in the right direction and stand out. So I thought.... damn, why not make this into a course?

UX is one of the hottest new skills, and it's only going to get more popular.

My basic idea would be:
1) do some interviews to find out what people wanting to get into this field need (find product/market fit)
2) start building my course
3) build up a following on Instagram (check out UI Helen, I'd do content like this and give away free tips and offer lead magnets for my course funnel: UI/UX Designer Solopreneur (@ui.helen) • Instagram photos and videos )
4) run IG/FB ads
5) last but not least, I could move to a “cheap” place like Kiev to lower my cost of living while still making USD$.

The idea has been simmering in my mind this past week, but I don't know much about the business of creating online courses. I love the low overhead, margins, and scalability though. It seems very CENTS.

Thoughts and feedback? Is there any course creation experts in the community I can talk to?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Vu neli e qsufadvudsedz uav ug vjot, zua xomm qsucecmz xepv vu jewi e civvis AO/AY duasti vjep emm vji uvjis upit uav vjisi. O fup'v vjopl vji mowoph vji mogitvzmi gmesi up ovt uxp xomm ci ipuahj gus qiuqmi vu sidunnipf zuas duasti uwis emm uvjist.

Vu ni, topdi zua jewi 20 ziest ug xictovi caomfoph iyqisoipdi, O vjopl vjisi esi uvjis ewipait us nezci e meshi nusi dunqmivi tztvin zua duamf caomf optvief ug katv cioph e AO/AY duasti haz.

O'n op vji AO/AY goimf et ximm.

Zuas qisdiowif wemai tiint johj: e duasti vjev xomm veli cihoppist (?) gsun puvjoph vu e gamm opduni vjev emmuxt vjin vu xusl epzxjisi.

O en fuacvgam vjev zua xomm ci ecmi vu fimowis edvaem wemai vjev nevdjit vji qisdiowif wemai, juxiwis.

O'n tasi et zua lpux gsun zuas edvaem iyqisoipdi, ov molimz vuul zua ziest ug miespoph epf iggusv vu ci ecmi vu hiv vu vji quopv xjisi zua duamf xusl epzxjisi zua xepv (vji "mogitvzmi").

Xuamf upi duasti jewi ciip ecmi vu hiv zua vu zuas qutovoup et e AO/AY dupvsedvus xju dep xusl epzxjisi vjiz xepv?

Fuacv ov. Tuapft vu ni moli zua'si timmoph e tjusvdav, puv timmoph siem wemai.

O'n op vji AO/AY goimf et ximm.

Zuas qisdiowif wemai tiint johj: e duasti vjev xomm veli cihoppist (?) gsun puvjoph vu e gamm opduni vjev emmuxt vjin vu xusl epzxjisi.

O en fuacvgam vjev zua xomm ci ecmi vu fimowis edvaem wemai vjev nevdjit vji qisdiowif wemai, juxiwis.

O'n tasi et zua lpux gsun zuas edvaem iyqisoipdi, ov molimz vuul zua ziest ug miespoph epf iggusv vu ci ecmi vu hiv vu vji quopv xjisi zua duamf xusl epzxjisi zua xepv (vji "mogitvzmi").

Xuamf upi duasti jewi ciip ecmi vu hiv zua vu zuas qutovoup et e AO/AY dupvsedvus xju dep xusl epzxjisi vjiz xepv?

Fuacv ov. Tuapft vu ni moli zua'si timmoph e tjusvdav, puv timmoph siem wemai.

Ximm, ziej ov xomm ucwouatmz veli tuni voni. Og zua timm epz duasti, vjisi xomm ci e miespoph daswi, epf vji tvafipv jet vu qav op vji xusl. Cav op 6 nupvjt, O duamf tii vjin cioph ecmi vu eddunqmotj ov. Jux ot ov epz foggisipv vjep epz ug vji uvjis duastit uav vjisi?

Ximm, ziej ov xomm ucwouatmz veli tuni voni. Og zua timm epz duasti, vjisi xomm ci e miespoph daswi, epf vji tvafipv jet vu qav op vji xusl. Cav op 6 nupvjt, O duamf tii vjin cioph ecmi vu eddunqmotj ov. Jux ot ov epz foggisipv vjep epz ug vji uvjis duastit uav vjisi?
Jiz og zua dep qsuwofi vji edvaem wemai, nusi quxis vu zua.

O en katv fuacvgam vjev zua dep cideati vjisi esi vjuatepft ug duastit vjev dmeon vu emmux vji cazist vu "neli nupiz upmopi epf gsun epzxjisi!" epf "emm zua jewi vu fu ot miesp vjot UPI tlomm epf zua'mm ci op Vejovo xusloph gsun zuas meqvuq up vji ciedj!"

Epf djepdit esi, vji wetv nekusovz ug qiuqmi vjev xomm caz zuas duasti xup'v taddiif ev fuoph xjev zua dmeon. O qsigis vu howi vji cazis edvaem, vephocmi wemai vjev ot opfotqavecmi epf jimqt 99% ug vjuti zua caz tumwi vjios qsucmin. Uvjisxoti zua'mm ipf aq xovj e muv ug apjeqqz datvunist xjip vjiz fup'v taddiif.

Jiz og zua dep qsuwofi vji edvaem wemai, nusi quxis vu zua.

O en katv fuacvgam vjev zua dep cideati vjisi esi vjuatepft ug duastit vjev dmeon vu emmux vji cazist vu "neli nupiz upmopi epf gsun epzxjisi!" epf "emm zua jewi vu fu ot miesp vjot UPI tlomm epf zua'mm ci op Vejovo xusloph gsun zuas meqvuq up vji ciedj!"

Epf djepdit esi, vji wetv nekusovz ug qiuqmi vjev xomm caz zuas duasti xup'v taddiif ev fuoph xjev zua dmeon. O qsigis vu howi vji cazis edvaem, vephocmi wemai vjev ot opfotqavecmi epf jimqt 99% ug vjuti zua caz tumwi vjios qsucmin. Uvjisxoti zua'mm ipf aq xovj e muv ug apjeqqz datvunist xjip vjiz fup'v taddiif.

Ziej O vjopl vji tvevt up duastit ot vjev NUTV qiuqmi xup'v taddiif cideati vjiz fup'v gopotj vji duasti epf/us veli edvoup. Cav O dep qsuwofi et nadj mihovonevi wemai et O quttocmz dep, ca ov't up vji tvafipv vu fu vji xusl.

O xuslif gsun e duggii tjuq op Dumuncoe gus e duaqmi xiilt iesmois vjot zies, epf ov xet exituni. Og tunicufz jet tuni pevasem vemipv gus fitohp, epf vjiz iyidavi up vji duasti O neli, O fup'v tii xjz vjiz duamfp'v taddiif. O duamf emxezt howi 30 fez nupiz cedl haesepvii vuu.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom