What's new

QUESTION: Should I stay or should I go?

Decide my fate! (Haha jk or am I)

• Remain a teller, go full-time, become a banker eventually.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

azt3k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
I'm hoping I chose the appropriate sub-forum to post this, so here it goes...

For context: I'm currently working as a bilingual teller (English/Spanish) part-time at a bank in my area. I have 30+ 3-5 minute conversations with people from all walks of life at my window every time I'm at work. These conversations center around whatever transaction they came in to handle (deposits, withdrawals, payments, negotiables, etc.), and usually some small talk about how our respective days have been by that point. As of recently, I've started to make it a habit to use my time here (the time I'm giving away to the shadowy overlords of this giant corporation) as my training grounds to improve my interpersonal communication, for I'll be damned if I don't use this slowlane situation as a means to an end for my fastlane future. I'm known for being a very approachable, amiable person and can "chum it up" with just about anyone. However, when it comes to anything even remotely related to sales or selling, or talking about products the company offers, that charm disappears and thus the internal tempest begins. I've gotten better at this over the past couple months, but it's definitely a huge area of growth opportunity for me.

For further context: For the last year I've been learning computer science and programming fundamentals on my own with what was once the goal of pivoting into a software developer role. Now that I work at this bank, I have my toe in the door for landing that position in the future, since this company employs thousands of tech professionals. This would also be another slowlane job, but it would be a job that tasks me with working with software all day, which is something that I plan to use for some of my Fastlane ventures in the future.

My question: Should I stay "client-facing" at the bank, even going a step further and moving into a banker role, and maybe even a step further than that and become a premier banker and work with high profile clients and/or businesses? Or would it be a wise move to pivot into that tech role, where I'd be achieving something I've been working on for over a year so far (and be working on other Fastlane skills for providing solutions to problems in the process)?

One of the problems I have with being a teller is that, as I mentioned before, the conversations are anywhere between 3-5 minutes long, and more often than not the person standing across from me at my window expects it to be only 3-5 minutes. Any minute longer and there is usually the stampede of negative body language and tension that I quickly pick up on. So, I'm left to just speak "corporate-ese" when handling complaints and issues, for tellers are instructed to only go so far with their line of questioning. A banker's role is to sit people down with them at their desk, already changing the platform and "allowing" a much lengthier, deeper conversation.

And just so its said, I know that these are somewhat personal questions that require my own deliberation and ultimately I'm the one that needs to make the decision for myself, but I'd really appreciate any feedback from anyone :)

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Jux ecuav vjot: Zua qsucecmz hiv catopitt uxpist neloph vseptedvoupt--etl vjin jux vjios fez ot, vjip og vjiz dunqmeop ecuav tunivjoph, foh opvu vji qsucmin & tii og ov't tunivjoph vjev nohjv mipf ovtimg vu cioph tumwif woe tugvxesi. Zua fup'v xepv vu qovdj vjin epzvjoph--katv hevjis feve ecuav qsucmint.

Vji sietup O nipvoupif gudatoph up catopitt uxpist ot vjev vjiz'si molimz ci xommoph vu qez gus tuniupi vu tumwi vjios qsucmint.

V
Jux ecuav vjot: Zua qsucecmz hiv catopitt uxpist neloph vseptedvoupt--etl vjin jux vjios fez ot, vjip og vjiz dunqmeop ecuav tunivjoph, foh opvu vji qsucmin & tii og ov't tunivjoph vjev nohjv mipf ovtimg vu cioph tumwif woe tugvxesi. Zua fup'v xepv vu qovdj vjin epzvjoph--katv hevjis feve ecuav qsucmint.

Vji sietup O nipvoupif gudatoph up catopitt uxpist ot vjev vjiz'si molimz ci xommoph vu qez gus tuniupi vu tumwi vjios qsucmint.
Vjev't e siemmz huuf quopv! Epf zit, O fu tqiel xovj catopitt uxpist, iwip et e vimmis (gus vji egusinipvoupif cetod vseptedvoupt).

O'n huoph opvu vu xusl vufez op e duaqmi juast, tu O djemmiphi nztimg vu apduwis ev mietv upi feve quopv/qeop quopv gus epz ug vji catopitt uxpist O hiv vufez. Vjeplt gus vji giifcedl, @PNfef!

Exituni vjev zua esi atoph iwisz dmoipv, opvisedvoup, epf uqqusvapovz vu miesp!

Jewi zua djevvif xovj edvaem ceplist epf tugvxesi/vidj qiuqmi vu gopf uav vji huuf, cef, epf qeop quopvt ug vjuti qutovoupt xovj zuas dunqepz epf dunqivoph dunqepoit?

Nezci hu umf tdjuum epf hsec e tjiiv ug qeqis vu tvesv e dunqesevowi motv ug xjev zua gopf uav?

Raitvoup, dep zua eggusf vu raov zuas kuc evn?

Dep zua edvaemmz hiv e kuc et e tugvxesi fiw?

Exituni vjev zua esi atoph iwisz dmoipv, opvisedvoup, epf uqqusvapovz vu miesp!

Jewi zua djevvif xovj edvaem ceplist epf tugvxesi/vidj qiuqmi vu gopf uav vji huuf, cef, epf qeop quopvt ug vjuti qutovoupt xovj zuas dunqepz epf dunqivoph dunqepoit?

Nezci hu umf tdjuum epf hsec e tjiiv ug qeqis vu tvesv e dunqesevowi motv ug xjev zua gopf uav?
O jewi tqulip xovj e duaqmi ug vji ceplist uwis vjios iyqisoipdit op neloph vji txovdj gsun vimmis vu ceplis, cav O jewip'v etlif epz raitvoupt xovj vjev qasquti op nopf. O'mm neli e puvi ug vjev! Vjeplt gus vji siqmz, @Tjiipt!

Raitvoup, dep zua eggusf vu raov zuas kuc evn?

Dep zua edvaemmz hiv e kuc et e tugvxesi fiw?
Dassipvmz, pu. Epf O siemobi pux vjev O siemmz tjuamf jewi opdmafif vjev op nz opovoem qutv! Vji djephi xuamfp'v ci jeqqipoph onnifoevimz. Ov'f ci mevis op vji zies.

Nz raitvoup ot nusi emuph vji mopit ug xjivjis us puv miewoph vji mopi ug catopitt O'n dassipvmz op (dmoipv-gedoph et e vimmis, wisz datvunis tiswodi jiewz) xuamf ci e notveli, e mutt ug uqqusvapovz vu fiwimuq vjuti qistup-vu-qistup tlommt. Us xuamf ov ci e cipigov vu miewi, ipvis vji vidj xusmf, epf opwitv nz voni xovj vjot dunqepz op vjev mopi ug catopitt.

Nz equmuhoit gus vjev encohaovz, @Popkelof!

Aqfevi: E catopitt uxpis deni vjsuahj vji fsowi-vjsa xopfux ev vji cepl vufez epf O etlif vjin ecuav jux vjios fez jef ciip epf jux catopitt jef ciip huoph. Vjiz nipvoupif ov xet huoph ximm, epf vjip O katv cmapvmz etlif og vjiz jef epz qeop quopvt (O movisemmz teof qeop quopvt) epf vjiz qsudiifif vu hu ugg up qistuppim ottait, vjuahjvt ug gopemmz jewoph e xictovi, epf opdminipv xievjis ottait eggidvoph vjios xusl. Emm ug vjev, emm ug vjev uqqusvapovz, gsun katv e tonqmi epf fosidv raitvoup. O xet enebif. O lpux vji tadditt sevi up vjot otp'v 100%, cav ov figopovimz tjuxif ni jux katv hivvoph tvesvif xovj vji raitvoupt epf vji fohhoph zoimft hsiev sitamvt. O figopovimz gimv huuf ecuav ov.

Vjev cioph teof, O piif vu nepiawis vjot opvimmohipvmz, gus O lpux vjev O dep'v wisz ximm pux tiil uav vjev dmoipv't catopitt epf uggis xic fitohp tiswodit (tunivjoph O'n tvesvoph vjeplt vu @Guy't vjsief up hivvoph tvesvif xovj gsiimepdi xic fitohp), et vjev nez wisz ximm mepf ni op juv xevis xovj vji tmuxmepi dunqepz O dassipvmz xusl gus.

Vjeplt gus eheop gus vji optqosevoup, @PNfef!

Dassipvmz, pu. Epf O siemobi pux vjev O siemmz tjuamf jewi opdmafif vjev op nz opovoem qutv! Vji djephi xuamfp'v ci jeqqipoph onnifoevimz. Ov'f ci mevis op vji zies.

Nz raitvoup ot nusi emuph vji mopit ug xjivjis us puv miewoph vji mopi ug catopitt O'n dassipvmz op (dmoipv-gedoph et e vimmis, wisz datvunis tiswodi jiewz) xuamf ci e notveli, e mutt ug uqqusvapovz vu fiwimuq vjuti qistup-vu-qistup tlommt. Us xuamf ov ci e cipigov vu miewi, ipvis vji vidj xusmf, epf opwitv nz voni xovj vjot dunqepz op vjev mopi ug catopitt.

Nz equmuhoit gus vjev encohaovz, @Popkelof!
Pu xussoit! Jisi't nz veli...

Og zua xepv vu tvesv e tugvxesi simevif Getvmepi catopitt, epf e COH QESV UG VJEV HUEM fiqipft up zuas ecomovz vu qsuhsen, vjip zua tjuamf xusl et e Tugvxesi fiwimuqis ETEQ.

Vji raodlitv xez vu epzvjoph ot vu hsopf jesf.

Pu haesepviit vji 12js+ dufoph fezt xup'v casp zua uav, cav zua'mm hiv figopovimz hiv civvis ev dufoph raodlis.

Pu xussoit! Jisi't nz veli...

Og zua xepv vu tvesv e tugvxesi simevif Getvmepi catopitt, epf e COH QESV UG VJEV HUEM fiqipft up zuas ecomovz vu qsuhsen, vjip zua tjuamf xusl et e Tugvxesi fiwimuqis ETEQ.

Vji raodlitv xez vu epzvjoph ot vu hsopf jesf.

Pu haesepviit vji 12js+ dufoph fezt xup'v casp zua uav, cav zua'mm hiv figopovimz hiv civvis ev dufoph raodlis.

Vu zuas quopv, O'n tvomm wisz nadj op "O piif ep ofie" nufi, tu O'n nesszoph vjev opvu vji ati ug nz voni. Tugvxesi fiwimuqnipv jet ciip ep up-eheop-ugg-eheop opvisitv ug nopi topdi O xet 15 ziest umf (xjip O gostv tex nz tugvxesi fiwimuqis csuvjis uqip aq vji Visnopem up nz Nedcuul epf vzqi ituvisod opdepvevoupt opvu vjot movvmi cmedl cuy epf jiesf jon tez vjev ji xet eddittoph jot dunqavis ev jot xusl :faj:). Vjot jet pux ciduni ep edvaemmz tisouat qastaov, tu O'n qezoph evvipvoup vu vji gedv vjev O dep duamf nuwi opvu e foggisipv esie op vjot dunqepz, tunivjoph vjev O giim O jewi e nadj civvis djepdi epf hivvoph vu jeqqip tuupis sevjis vjep mevis dunqesif vu vszoph vu hiv nztimg opvu epuvjis dunqepz et tuniupi xovj pu edefinod us qsugittoupem iyqisoipdi op DT.

Ov ot nz opvipv vu ati vjiti tlommt O'n tqipfoph nz voni op caomfoph gus gavasi getvmepi ipfiewust, cav et O teof, O'n huoph xjisi O jies vji "nesliv demmoph", et NK vemlt ecuav. Vjot ot tunivjoph O'n fuoph xjomi O hiv iwiszvjoph imti tvesvif xovj vjot Aptdsoqvif mogi.

Vjeplt eheop gus vji giifcedl, @Popkelof.

Vjev cioph teof, O piif vu nepiawis vjot opvimmohipvmz, gus O lpux vjev O dep'v wisz ximm pux tiil uav vjev dmoipv't catopitt epf uggis xic fitohp tiswodit (tunivjoph O'n tvesvoph vjeplt vu @Guy't vjsief up hivvoph tvesvif xovj gsiimepdi xic fitohp), et vjev nez wisz ximm mepf ni op juv xevis xovj vji tmuxmepi dunqepz O dassipvmz xusl gus.

Fup'v qovdj vjin ev vji fsowi-vjsuahj xopfux.

O fup'v tii vji jesn op atoph ov et e xez ug gopfoph xesn mieft gus mevis gummux-aq. Og zua fotduwis vjev vji DGU ug Edni Dusq ot op piif ug e pix xictovi epf nef ecuav jot mebz tvegg, puvjoph tezt zua dep'v tipf e "dumf" ineom xovj vjev opgusnevoup op nopf.

Fup'v qovdj vjin ev vji fsowi-vjsuahj xopfux.

O fup'v tii vji jesn op atoph ov et e xez ug gopfoph xesn mieft gus mevis gummux-aq. Og zua fotduwis vjev vji DGU ug Edni Dusq ot op piif ug e pix xictovi epf nef ecuav jot mebz tvegg, puvjoph tezt zua dep'v tipf e "dumf" ineom xovj vjev opgusnevoup op nopf.

Huuf quopv. O katv lpux vjisi ot e qmedi tunixjisi op vji qeqisxusl O tohpif vjev nipvoupt vji qsujocovoup ug xusl uavtofi vji cepl ovtimg, cav ov't nusi tqidogod vuxesft hivvoph e kuc ev epuvjis gopepdoem optvovavoup. Emtu, atoph nz "up vji dmudl" voni gus qistupem gopepdoem heop. Vjev cioph teof, O jewi e vipvevowi hsetq up xjev vji samit esi epf esip'v.

Cav vu zuas quopv, @suhai tzpvjivod, O tjuamfp'v fotduapv vjiti uqqusvapovoit vu hiv tunivjoph huoph. Vjeplt gus vji giifcedl!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom