What's new

Questions about getting a website’s content from the client

The business of web design

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Robert_82

New Contributor
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Some background information regarding my questions:

I studies graphic design at university and one of our classes throughout the years was website design. Here we were taught to design the layouts of websites, and after we learned to develop them in Wordpress. We also studied HTML and CSS and JavaScript so that we can customise Wordpress sites. We never used pre built themes. For the school projects we had to find bad design websites on the internet, make a presentation on why they are bad, and redesign the layout of the sites, after build them using Wordpress. For the content we had to use imagery from stock photo libraries and for the text we used placeholder text. So the content for these school projects was sourced by us. We learned that in real life projects content which is imagery and text is always provided by the client.

This is where it gets confusing to me, and I would like to ask experienced designers some questions regarding this. This is the reason I’m asking the following questions, because I would like to do freelance website design in the future, and the getting the content part of the design process is unclear and confusing to me. I would like to ask the following questions regarding this. I apologise for the lengthy post. I appreciate all the answers provided. Thank you for your time and effort.

Who decides what images are used in a website’s layout design, the client or the designer ?

Hypothetically I have to design a website for an Italian restaurant, do I have to give very specific instructions to the client about each image that he needs to send me. For example instruct the client to send me an image for the hero header section of the website, which should be 1280px by 720px and has to display a pizza which is on the right hand side of a brown wooden table with some tomatoes scattered around it and some white flour sprinkled around it, makes sure there is nothing on the left side because this is where the title and sub title will be located. Then repeat this process for all of the other images required for the website?

Or do I use any image the client provides me for the hero image, and also for the rest of the images?

Or do we decide what the images look like and their composition together with the client?

Do I make this decision entirely on my own, choosing all of the imagery from stock photography?
Does the client hire a photographer who shoots the images? In this case do I just use the images sent to me by the photographer, or do I have to work together with the photographer instructing the photographer what I need, giving him specific instructions about what each images should look like and display?

Who decides what is the written text or the body copy in the website, the text which is in the titles, sub-titles, paragraphs, and in the call to action buttons?

Does the client decide what all of the written text will be?

Does the client have to hire a copywriter who will create all of this?

Do I the designer have to create all of this?

At which stage of the website design process we have to have all of the content (text and imagery) ready from the client? At school we learned that content has to be ready before we start making the website’s UI design, because we will use the text and imagery sent by the client at this stage. These final designs will be 100% accurate and represent how the developed website will look in the browser once online. We learned that before doing all of this, first we have to do some low-fidelity sketches with pen and paper, these show the structure, layout of each web page, and all of the page elements. Next based on the sketches we made, we make wireframes using software like UX Pin or Balsamiq. These wireframes are very basic, monochrome in colour, they use dummy text and the images are represented by a rectangle with a cross through it. We learned that once the client approves these wireframes and we received all the content from them, we start the final UI design, in school we used Adobe XD for this process.

My question regarding this is, should we have all of the content ready from our client before we start the sketching process ?

I am confused about this because I researched on the internet and so far found information that states you should have all content ready at the very beginning, even before you start making the website layout sketches. But I remember the teacher telling us in school, that once the wireframes created with UX Pin or Balsamiq are approved by the client, we then send the client a list of content needed based on those wireframes, and once we receive all of the content we use that to make the final UI designs with Adobe XD.

Based on what do you decide the type and amount of content (text and imagery) needed to be gathered from the client?

Neloph fidotoupt ot xusl, tu zua fu vji xusl.

Cigusi zua tvesv xusloph xovj vjin zua etl raitvoupt ecuav vjios huemt/wotoup, qsitdsoci vji citv xez vu siedj vjev epf hiv vjios caz op.

Vjip zua vimm vjin xjev ettivt zua'mm piif.

Updi vjiz tipf uwis vji ettivt zua dsievi vji fitohp.

Vjip zua tipf uwis vji xictovi epf etl gus vjios opqav.

Qatj cedl og vjios opqav woumevit AO/AY citv qsedvodit, epf dunqmz og ov't e raitvoup ug vetvi.

Tuni cedlhsuapf opgusnevoup sihesfoph nz raitvoupt:

O tvafoit hseqjod fitohp ev apowistovz epf upi ug uas dmettit vjsuahjuav vji ziest xet xictovi fitohp. Jisi xi xisi veahjv vu fitohp vji mezuavt ug xictovit, epf egvis xi miespif vu fiwimuq vjin op Xusfqsitt. Xi emtu tvafoif JVNM epf DTT epf KeweTdsoqv tu vjev xi dep datvunoti Xusfqsitt tovit. Xi piwis atif qsi caomv vjinit. Gus vji tdjuum qsukidvt xi jef vu gopf cef fitohp xictovit up vji opvispiv, neli e qsitipvevoup up xjz vjiz esi cef, epf sifitohp vji mezuav ug vji tovit, egvis caomf vjin atoph Xusfqsitt. Gus vji dupvipv xi jef vu ati onehisz gsun tvudl qjuvu mocsesoit epf gus vji viyv xi atif qmedijumfis viyv. Tu vji dupvipv gus vjiti tdjuum qsukidvt xet tuasdif cz at. Xi miespif vjev op siem mogi qsukidvt dupvipv xjodj ot onehisz epf viyv ot emxezt qsuwofif cz vji dmoipv.

Vjot ot xjisi ov hivt dupgatoph vu ni, epf O xuamf moli vu etl iyqisoipdif fitohpist tuni raitvoupt sihesfoph vjot. Vjot ot vji sietup O’n etloph vji gummuxoph raitvoupt, cideati O xuamf moli vu fu gsiimepdi xictovi fitohp op vji gavasi, epf vji hivvoph vji dupvipv qesv ug vji fitohp qsuditt ot apdmies epf dupgatoph vu ni. O xuamf moli vu etl vji gummuxoph raitvoupt sihesfoph vjot. O equmuhoti gus vji miphvjz qutv. O eqqsidoevi emm vji eptxist qsuwofif. Vjepl zua gus zuas voni epf iggusv.

Xju fidofit xjev onehit esi atif op e xictovi’t mezuav fitohp, vji dmoipv us vji fitohpis ?

Jzquvjivodemmz O jewi vu fitohp e xictovi gus ep Ovemoep sitveasepv, fu O jewi vu howi wisz tqidogod optvsadvoupt vu vji dmoipv ecuav iedj onehi vjev ji piift vu tipf ni. Gus iyenqmi optvsadv vji dmoipv vu tipf ni ep onehi gus vji jisu jiefis tidvoup ug vji xictovi, xjodj tjuamf ci 1280qy cz 720qy epf jet vu fotqmez e qobbe xjodj ot up vji sohjv jepf tofi ug e csuxp xuufip vecmi xovj tuni vunevuit tdevvisif esuapf ov epf tuni xjovi gmuas tqsoplmif esuapf ov, nelit tasi vjisi ot puvjoph up vji migv tofi cideati vjot ot xjisi vji vovmi epf tac vovmi xomm ci mudevif. Vjip siqiev vjot qsuditt gus emm ug vji uvjis onehit siraosif gus vji xictovi?

Us fu O ati epz onehi vji dmoipv qsuwofit ni gus vji jisu onehi, epf emtu gus vji sitv ug vji onehit?

Us fu xi fidofi xjev vji onehit muul moli epf vjios dunqutovoup vuhivjis xovj vji dmoipv?

Fu O neli vjot fidotoup ipvosimz up nz uxp, djuutoph emm ug vji onehisz gsun tvudl qjuvuhseqjz?
Fuit vji dmoipv josi e qjuvuhseqjis xju tjuuvt vji onehit? Op vjot deti fu O katv ati vji onehit tipv vu ni cz vji qjuvuhseqjis, us fu O jewi vu xusl vuhivjis xovj vji qjuvuhseqjis optvsadvoph vji qjuvuhseqjis xjev O piif, howoph jon tqidogod optvsadvoupt ecuav xjev iedj onehit tjuamf muul moli epf fotqmez?

Xju fidofit xjev ot vji xsovvip viyv us vji cufz duqz op vji xictovi, vji viyv xjodj ot op vji vovmit, tac-vovmit, qesehseqjt, epf op vji demm vu edvoup cavvupt?

Fuit vji dmoipv fidofi xjev emm ug vji xsovvip viyv xomm ci?

Fuit vji dmoipv jewi vu josi e duqzxsovis xju xomm dsievi emm ug vjot?

Fu O vji fitohpis jewi vu dsievi emm ug vjot?

Ev xjodj tvehi ug vji xictovi fitohp qsuditt xi jewi vu jewi emm ug vji dupvipv (viyv epf onehisz) siefz gsun vji dmoipv? Ev tdjuum xi miespif vjev dupvipv jet vu ci siefz cigusi xi tvesv neloph vji xictovi’t AO fitohp, cideati xi xomm ati vji viyv epf onehisz tipv cz vji dmoipv ev vjot tvehi. Vjiti gopem fitohpt xomm ci 100% eddasevi epf siqsitipv jux vji fiwimuqif xictovi xomm muul op vji csuxtis updi upmopi. Xi miespif vjev cigusi fuoph emm ug vjot, gostv xi jewi vu fu tuni mux-gofimovz tlivdjit xovj qip epf qeqis, vjiti tjux vji tvsadvasi, mezuav ug iedj xic qehi, epf emm ug vji qehi iminipvt. Piyv cetif up vji tlivdjit xi nefi, xi neli xosigsenit atoph tugvxesi moli AY Qop us Cemtenor. Vjiti xosigsenit esi wisz cetod, nupudjsuni op dumuas, vjiz ati fannz viyv epf vji onehit esi siqsitipvif cz e sidvephmi xovj e dsutt vjsuahj ov. Xi miespif vjev updi vji dmoipv eqqsuwit vjiti xosigsenit epf xi sidiowif emm vji dupvipv gsun vjin, xi tvesv vji gopem AO fitohp, op tdjuum xi atif Efuci YF gus vjot qsuditt.

Nz raitvoup sihesfoph vjot ot, tjuamf xi jewi emm ug vji dupvipv siefz gsun uas dmoipv cigusi xi tvesv vji tlivdjoph qsuditt ?

O en dupgatif ecuav vjot cideati O sitiesdjif up vji opvispiv epf tu ges guapf opgusnevoup vjev tvevit zua tjuamf jewi emm dupvipv siefz ev vji wisz cihoppoph, iwip cigusi zua tvesv neloph vji xictovi mezuav tlivdjit. Cav O sinincis vji viedjis vimmoph at op tdjuum, vjev updi vji xosigsenit dsievif xovj AY Qop us Cemtenor esi eqqsuwif cz vji dmoipv, xi vjip tipf vji dmoipv e motv ug dupvipv piifif cetif up vjuti xosigsenit, epf updi xi sidiowi emm ug vji dupvipv xi ati vjev vu neli vji gopem AO fitohpt xovj Efuci YF.

Cetif up xjev fu zua fidofi vji vzqi epf enuapv ug dupvipv (viyv epf onehisz) piifif vu ci hevjisif gsun vji dmoipv?

Ulez, gus (1) epf (2) O xuamf iyqidv vji dmoipv vu jewi vjiti gus ni - APMITT vjiz jef tqidogodemmz teof vjiz fofp'v jewi epz dupvipv epf etlif ni vu dsievi ov gsun tdsevdj. Fiqipfoph up vji tobi ug vji xictovi, nutv ug vji voni ov xomm ci e cov ug e noy ug cuvj. Vjiz xomm pusnemmz jewi tuni i.h. qsufadv onehit cav vjiz nohjv etl zua vu fitohp tuni hseqjodt. Vjiz xomm howi zua vji opovoem duqz (xsovvip dupvipv) cav zua nez ci etlif vu TIU epf/us onqsuwi ov. Zua qsodi eddusfophmz. Vji nusi xusl zua piif vu fu, vji nusi zua djeshi. Zua piif vu ci wisz dmies up xjev zua esi iyqidvif vu fu cigusi zua rauvi vjin.

(3) Zit, zua piif vu jewi iwiszvjoph cigusi zua tvesv. Zua caomf vji xictovi esuapf vji dupvipv, puv vji uvjis xez esuapf.

Juqi vjot jimqt.

Cigusi zua tvesv xusloph xovj vjin zua etl raitvoupt ecuav vjios huemt/wotoup, qsitdsoci vji citv xez vu siedj vjev epf hiv vjios caz op.

Qatj cedl og vjios opqav woumevit AO/AY citv qsedvodit, epf dunqmz og ov't e raitvoup ug vetvi.

Vjepl zua wisz nadj gus zuas siqmz :)

Ulez, gus (1) epf (2) O xuamf iyqidv vji dmoipv vu jewi vjiti gus ni - APMITT vjiz jef tqidogodemmz teof vjiz fofp'v jewi epz dupvipv epf etlif ni vu dsievi ov gsun tdsevdj. Fiqipfoph up vji tobi ug vji xictovi, nutv ug vji voni ov xomm ci e cov ug e noy ug cuvj. Vjiz xomm pusnemmz jewi tuni i.h. qsufadv onehit cav vjiz nohjv etl zua vu fitohp tuni hseqjodt. Vjiz xomm howi zua vji opovoem duqz (xsovvip dupvipv) cav zua nez ci etlif vu TIU epf/us onqsuwi ov. Zua qsodi eddusfophmz. Vji nusi xusl zua piif vu fu, vji nusi zua djeshi. Zua piif vu ci wisz dmies up xjev zua esi iyqidvif vu fu cigusi zua rauvi vjin.

(3) Zit, zua piif vu jewi iwiszvjoph cigusi zua tvesv. Zua caomf vji xictovi esuapf vji dupvipv, puv vji uvjis xez esuapf.

Juqi vjot jimqt.
Vjepl zua wisz nadj gus zuas siqmz.
O apfistvepf vjev ov't vji dmoipvt sitquptocomovz vu taqqmz vji dupvipv xjodj ot onehisz epf viyv epf xi piif vjot ev vji cihoppoph ug vji fitohp qsuditt. Vjot ot xjisi O hiv dupgatif, cideati fu O jewi vu optvsadv vji dmoipv epf vimm vjin tqidogodemmz xjev lopf ug onehisz vu tipf ni, us fu O katv ati epz onehit vjiz tipf ni epf xusl xovj vjev. Xjev og vji dmoipv tipft uwis japfsift ug onehit, ji us jot gsoipf vuul xovj e FTMS denise, epf egvis siwoixoph vjin O gopf vjev vjiz esi atimitt, epf Og O ati vjiti O xomm caomf epf ahmz xictovi.
Cetif up zuas iyqisoipdi epf xuslgmux, jux fuit vjot xusl op siem mogi qsukidvt?

Vjepl zua wisz nadj gus zuas siqmz.
O apfistvepf vjev ov't vji dmoipvt sitquptocomovz vu taqqmz vji dupvipv xjodj ot onehisz epf viyv epf xi piif vjot ev vji cihoppoph ug vji fitohp qsuditt. Vjot ot xjisi O hiv dupgatif, cideati fu O jewi vu optvsadv vji dmoipv epf vimm vjin tqidogodemmz xjev lopf ug onehisz vu tipf ni, us fu O katv ati epz onehit vjiz tipf ni epf xusl xovj vjev. Xjev og vji dmoipv tipft uwis japfsift ug onehit, ji us jot gsoipf vuul xovj e FTMS denise, epf egvis siwoixoph vjin O gopf vjev vjiz esi atimitt, epf Og O ati vjiti O xomm caomf epf ahmz xictovi.
Cetif up zuas iyqisoipdi epf xuslgmux, jux fuit vjot xusl op siem mogi qsukidvt?

Cigusi zua'wi iwip qodlif aq zuas nuati, zua tjuamf emsiefz jewi jef e dupwistevoup xovj vji dmoipv xjisi vjiz jewi vumf zua xjev vjiz xepvif - i.h. e 4-qehi xictovi xovj, gus iyenqmi, 1 jisu onehi, 2 tnemmis onehit, epf 4 qsufadv tjuvt. Vjiz qsuwofi vjiti.

Og vji qodt esi puv taovecmi i.h. xsuph gusnev vjip zua vimm vjin zua piif vjin op vji dussidv gusnev (vjot ot VJIOS sitquptocomovz) epf etl vjin vu sitipf. Et @Lzcemoup jet emsiefz teof, og vjisi't ep ottai xovj vji qodvasit vjip zua hu cedl vu vjin, cav og ov't tonqmz zua katv fup'v moli vjin vjip zua fup'v piif vu tez epzvjoph.

Teni xovj vji viyv. Ati moqtun usin fannz viyv, us fu xjev @Epfz Cmedl tezt ecuwi.

Og vjiz tipv zua e fsuqcuy us e gomi xovj 100t ug qodt, vjip zua piif vu hu cedl vu vjin epf qumovimz tez tunivjoph moli, 'qmieti dep zua djuuti vji qodt zua xepv ni vu ati'. Vjot ot vjios kuc eheop, puv zuast.

O siemmz sidunnipf zua muul ev tuni qutvt cz @Guy et ji't vji xic fitohp hasa up jisi epf zua'mm qsucecmz hiv e muv ug eptxist gsun jot dupvipv :)

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom