The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quitting Slowlane road to go fastlane

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
I just graduated from something related to game industry. Have no work experience. I could work my a$$ off to make a portfolio for potential "big clients" going slowlane or I can start developing a business, going fastlane.

I chose the latter.
I hope you can help me with this journey. I´m fairly new to this, so any pointers might help.
I´m eventually going to subscribe to INSIDERS. Not sure yet, If this is the right step. I don´t want to make uneccessary expenses already.

current progress:
-started brainstorming fastlane roads by making "I wish...." lists
-now on the process of creating a landing page validating my idea
-basically IP, comic-related

I want to validate my comic idea with a landing page. Do you think this is a good way to start?
For the landing page, I will create some illustrations and a text telling what this is all about.

I don´t want to go into producing anything, before I know the market is there. As soon as I can get leads, I will start educating myself and produce. Sounds like a good plan?
offer

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Ignite the Businessplan! I worried about how I would build my money system.
I think I should just execute and see where it goes. Iterating with every feedback.

Don´t do something everyone else does/pre-planning. Let the audience decide what to do.

For now,
finish screenplay/treatment/logline.

Then continue with pitch illustrations to finally being able to launch the webpresentation.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
I´m having a budget of 1k.
I will do everything myself, unless it is -very necessary- to outsource, or to buy tools-
My goal is to publish something as fast as possible to gain money to put back into the business.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Something unexpected came up:
I got two freelance gig offers.

Question: Is it ok to postpone scriptwriting for a week to focus on the gigs?

I think yes, I should do it. Its good to have money, a basic security I don´t have yet. Just don´t get greedy.
I bet MJ talks about it in the book, but I cant seem to remember it:

Is it good to use the money you earn on a freelance job to grow your business?
I rather wanted to "bootstrap", like some people may call it.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
I decided to look for talented people who would make the process more fastlane, since I would take 2 years to draw a graphic novel...
Looking for people/doing everything it takes to accomplish the vision I have for my company, seems to be the right way, whereas writing your own novel for such a long time may be too risky and has too much to do with your own "love" for drawing and writing.

I contacted someone, but I figured my budget is just not high enough yet. I cant expect someone to draw a 22 page comic for 200 dollars....
I was considering a 2 week-1 month cyclew for every comic.

I concluded:

Since I dont have the money, I might as well draw and paint it myself. And only later when I earned some money from the revenue stream would I hire someone to help me produce more.

So the goals for now:

1. work on a 18-pages comic with a 2 week-1 month production cycle
2. hire people to help(once having a revenue stream)

X. work on the longterm graphic novel project(on the side)

I need to uncouple my ego from the production process and do everything the business needs to succeed.

I´m hiring "myself" to do the tasks. And perfection doesnt has a place here.

4. When I was playing MMORPGS, I was a pretty good reseller. In order to help my das with his business, I am learning about eCommerce. It is pretty fun to me. It might be helpful as well in the future, when I´m beggining to ship out books.

Last edited:

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Very important reminder:

As an artist I constantly look into other entrepreneurial fields, startup, product development, apps, but what I forget is that as an artist, my expertise is drawing and painting. Programming etc. would take years to learn, and I just can´t focus on it while concentrating on developing art skills. So my expertise, especially what I already know is something I can leverage to create something with value.

The general process goes like this:
Draw what you like->Create value

The key is to stay inside your expertise, your expertise is who you are, your entrepreneurial road.

Some comic artists tell about their interesting life in Japan, some draw nude, some draw fanart.
What they have in common is that while they use their abilities, they still create a lot of value.

I´m testing this idea and see how it goes. I have several ideas already how to create value, by not doing what i like to do, but by doing something with value with my abilities.

Having said that, I´m probably not a Sequential Storyteller(I don´t feel like that yet), but rather an illustrator. So my main focus at the moment is to create value with illustration. And that can be pretty fastlane in my opinion.

I don´t whant to start from zero. To do what I need to do, I know 70% of it, which is my expertise, 30% is the other stuff that needs to be done to make things perfect and to grow the business.

Last edited:

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
I´m in the process of hiring people doing what I dont know to do. I found a "business model" where I can take action myself, without having to LEARN too much. That way I can take MORE ACTION. It feels way faster that way.
It is still a process, just way faster!(at least I hope so)

This time I´m going for a low pay-commission, but I plan to pay more and look for better people once I hve a revenue stream.

I´m excited and will see how it works out.

Last edited:

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Note:
The more people you hire, the more you can grow. You can grow businesses endlessly.
The more business you have, the tighter your schedule becomes. Now I understand why people would need to work 14h for their business. There is just lot of stuff to do. And you want to keep up with the pace. The faster you get things done, the better.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Something I wrote on another thread to remind myself:

What I found these days, how to be more actionable:
1. do what you already know
2. outsource what you dont know
3. learn what you need to learn(just enough to be able to outsource!)

4. Getting profit and outsource more.

This way you will stay in the action cycle way more! And only need to learn if it is something you absolutely must know to be able to outsource!

Last edited:

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
Do you happen to know swift ,or any type of mobile programming?

Could you create an Instagram and market your first few comics to other gamers...watch the comments and ect to see how they feel...

Put something together quick that is fun and that people could play with others...throw some ads on it to create income...then work on a version 2 and 3 and so on...you dont have to go for the kill right of the bat...just start a bunch of small projects to make a name for yourself and some income.

Then work on the big one on the side.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Things I learned beeing a merchant in an online game:
-margins
-people are willing to pay a lot for a quality product
-low cost, but high value products can be sold in chunks
-branding of shop, not neccessarily the products

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Today I learned a valuable lesson:

The Pain Period

I was really reluctant to build a website for a long time. Thinking about it hurted. I seem to never be able to finish something if I dont like it.
But once you come to a desirable result, your motivation goes up tenfold.
I think this principle can be used for every task we do.
Never give up and stick with it!

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
I´ve been reading up on the Blue Ocean Strategy these days and I´m pretty confident on which business I will focus on, after I´ve run the Buyer Experience Cycle on a popular business model.
Instead of copying them, I will try to give something new to the market.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
October/November/December Review:

October:
-done some small gigs on fiverr
-became a freelancer and got my first contract, that pays my bills for some months now
-attempted and learned about screenwriting to publish a graphic novel
-researched graphic novels attempting to build a publishing company(lol)
-registered 2 domains and subscribed to 2 years of bluehost webhosting
-made a small landing page
-read "The Art of the Start"

November:
-learned about Digital Marketer/Sales Funnels
-attempted self-publishing; outsourced 4 ghostwriters to write 10k fiction novel(all of them which are now sitting in limbo, except one, that isn´t selling)
-read "The One Thing"; time-blocking
-read a lot of INSIDERS-Forum
-setup KDP

December:
-read "Who owns the Ice House"
-read "Miracle Morning"
-attempted an Art Business following the Abundant Artist
-attempted a publicity stunt
-setup a wordpress homepage with woocommerce store(I´m proud about this one)
-wrote a blogpost to attempt content marketing
-learned some excel
-researched Amazon Keywords
-setup a Google Adwords Campaign

-started reading "Ready, Fire, Aim"
-started reading "The Education of Millionaires"
-read "The Blue Ocean Strategy"
-decided on a Business Model, that I´m going to work on the whole next year
-read "Think and Grow Rich" Summary
-read "4hour-work-week" summary
-learned about the 80/20 rule
-made a definite plan of attack to reach my desired revenue for 2016

I´m going to stick to the project I have now, and I´m confident that I can pull through it.
All of the books I´ve read are important to me and I have a pretty good overview about what is important now(I think).

1. Go Blue Ocean
2. Do One Thing(Stop going all over the place and do something that you can do)
3. Have the End Goal in Mind and a Deadline
4. Do everything it takes to reach that goal in the designated Deadline(look for teachers/pay for services)->risk!
5. Use 80/20 Rule to do the most important tasks
6. Focus on Production and then Sales
7. After a million dollar of Sales, expand business

Last edited:

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Made my first ebook sale on amazon. this is like the best feeling ever. I kind of abandoned the self-publishing path, but it is nice to make a first sale!

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
So far I have only read your first post. Why? You said "As soon as I can get leads, I will start educating myself and produce."

Wrong! Educate yourself as much as possible about your idea. If I were a potential "lead" and I asked you an important question that you were not educated on, I personally would find someone else. I would not wait around for you to "figure it out". My time is valuable, I will not wait to get what I want from someone if someone else can give me the same outcome quicker.

Say you wanted to start a pool company. You knocked on my door and told me about yourself and you company. I said great! I actually have an issue with my spa actuator. My usual service guy wont be here until next week. Mind taking a look at it? You then respond "Yes I will take a look at it!". Then you don't even know what an actuator is or where to find it. Why would I let you say another sentence to me? I would ask you to please leave and go inside my house and continue on with my day pretending I never spoke to you.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Thank you for your input Jeremy. Validation also means to have something workable.

I´ve just finished my website with copy and course so far, that it is ready to sell. Instead of building my subscription base first to launch later, the course is already "launched" as an "early access". It works in itself, but I would like to add more at a later point. I´m not sure if perfecting it and build on anticipation first would be the right way, but I want to get some sales going first to develop it further. At the moment it is a fairly polished and sellable MVP.

I need to file a limited, and also begin developing my marketing strategy.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
So putting in full-time to work on Marketing now. I really want to get a routine for this, and hope to see first successes soon. Fixing Production issues later. Also filing a Limited soon.

Stages:
1. Direct Marketing
2. Post on communities for Free Content
3. Create Lead Content(Youtube, Instagram etc.)
4. Ask Influencers

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Moving the train is hard.
I´m going over some educational material and decided to do the following:

1. Target people who have a Major Pain Point->Create Exceptional Content with Authority
2. Raise above the Noise by Emotion

Later:
3. Interactive with Community

And sometihng on the side:
Getting some Followers on Twitter(Promotion Platform)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.