What's new

restart at 57

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

mstevenson

Contributor
I'm 57 - finally coming out of a brutal, drawn-out custody battle (I won, full custody of three boys) and several years of rat race existence, including layoffs due to a) Covid and b) speaking my mind.

Money-wise I am essentially starting from scratch, due to the legal battles and layoffs. I am an artist and a musician (MJ would typify those as lottery type professions (and yes, I have an MFA -and- an MA in Art History)) and I've worked in marketing, primarily digital, the last ten years, most recently at a director level.

I read Fastlane but most recently read The Great Rat Race Escape (highly, highly recommended) and it really hit home in a way Fastlane did not- it described my (previous) life to a T.

So, jobs are bullshit, and MJ is spot on regarding the conventional wisdom. I am currently working part time in marketing (I have abandoned any pretense of having a career in marketing, it's v freeing) - I am in my studio in the AM and I hang out with my kids in the PM so I've the time freedom kind of worked out. I do sell art regularly but it is sporadic and the likelihood of it making my fortune, while there, is not something I can rely on.

I am now figuring out the money freedom part of the equation. I know of several people that teach art online and do well at it - I am going to do the same, here's how:

- one on one instruction
- short paid group webinars
- building a personal brand social media (likely Twitter/Threads, potentially TikTok)
- YouTube channel as a means of generating interest and lead generation
- cohort based classes (likely 6-week duration)
- online classes

And that's the order of progression as well.

I'm posting this here as I have been lurking for a while and I wanted to put my plan out there for accountability. I will add to this post as I move through the various stages of the plan.

I am also doing this as an example for my sons so they never enter the rat race to begin with.

Thanks for reading, glad to answer any questions.

Michael

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Vjisi ot pu "xoppoph" e datvufz cevvmi.

Zua tjuamf tvuq mzoph vu zuastimg cigusi zuas optvecomovz eggidvt vji djomfsip vjev esi pux apfis zuas desi.

Civvis juqi zua taddiif ev catopitt.

Zua lpux xjz O fup'v xusl e sev sedi kuc? Cideati O xevdjif nz fef xusl e sev sedi kuc jot xjumi mogi. O dupdmafif ov xetp'v vji sohjv qevj gus ni, epf vjip O tqipv vji sitv ug nz mogi aq vu vjot quopv gohjvoph eheoptv iwis xemloph vjev qevj.

Xjev xomm zuas loft dupdmafi ecuav ipvsiqsipiastjoq cetif up zuas uavdunit?

Gus vjios teli, O'wi huv nz gophist dsuttif gus zua.

O'n 57 - gopemmz dunoph uav ug e csavem, fsexp-uav datvufz cevvmi (O xup, gamm datvufz ug vjsii cuzt) epf tiwisem ziest ug sev sedi iyotvipdi, opdmafoph mezuggt fai vu e) Duwof epf c) tqieloph nz nopf.

Nupiz-xoti O en ittipvoemmz tvesvoph gsun tdsevdj, fai vu vji mihem cevvmit epf mezuggt. O en ep esvotv epf e natodoep (NK xuamf vzqogz vjuti et muvvisz vzqi qsugittoupt (epf zit, O jewi ep NGE -epf- ep NE op Esv Jotvusz)) epf O'wi xuslif op neslivoph, qsonesomz fohovem, vji metv vip ziest, nutv sidipvmz ev e fosidvus miwim.

O sief Getvmepi cav nutv sidipvmz sief Vji Hsiev Sev Sedi Itdeqi (johjmz, johjmz sidunnipfif) epf ov siemmz jov juni op e xez Getvmepi fof puv- ov fitdsocif nz (qsiwouat) mogi vu e V.

Tu, kuct esi cammtjov, epf NK ot tquv up sihesfoph vji dupwipvoupem xotfun. O en dassipvmz xusloph qesv voni op neslivoph (O jewi ecepfupif epz qsivipti ug jewoph e desiis op neslivoph, ov't w gsiioph) - O en op nz tvafou op vji EN epf O jeph uav xovj nz loft op vji QN tu O'wi vji voni gsiifun lopf ug xuslif uav. O fu timm esv sihamesmz cav ov ot tqusefod epf vji molimojuuf ug ov neloph nz gusvapi, xjomi vjisi, ot puv tunivjoph O dep simz up.

O en pux gohasoph uav vji nupiz gsiifun qesv ug vji iraevoup. O lpux ug tiwisem qiuqmi vjev viedj esv upmopi epf fu ximm ev ov - O en huoph vu fu vji teni, jisi't jux:

- upi up upi optvsadvoup
- tjusv qeof hsuaq xicopest
- caomfoph e qistupem csepf tudoem nifoe (molimz Vxovvis/Vjsieft, quvipvoemmz VolVul)
- ZuaVaci djeppim et e niept ug hipisevoph opvisitv epf mief hipisevoup
- dujusv cetif dmettit (molimz 6-xiil fasevoup)
- upmopi dmettit

Epf vjev't vji usfis ug qsuhsittoup et ximm.

O'n qutvoph vjot jisi et O jewi ciip masloph gus e xjomi epf O xepvif vu qav nz qmep uav vjisi gus edduapvecomovz. O xomm eff vu vjot qutv et O nuwi vjsuahj vji wesouat tvehit ug vji qmep.

O en emtu fuoph vjot et ep iyenqmi gus nz tupt tu vjiz piwis ipvis vji sev sedi vu cihop xovj.

Vjeplt gus siefoph, hmef vu eptxis epz raitvoupt.

Nodjeim
Ximduni Nodjeim. Zua fup'v vimm xjev zuas esvotvod nifoan ot, zua esie ug iyqisvoti? Emtu, vji ehit ug zuas cuzt epf vjios opvisitvt?

Ximduni Nodjeim. Zua fup'v vimm xjev zuas esvotvod nifoan ot, zua esie ug iyqisvoti? Emtu, vji ehit ug zuas cuzt epf vjios opvisitvt?
Vjeplt, Sapan!

O neli qsonesomz ectvsedv qeopvopht epf qsopvt, xictovi ot jisi, O emtu opdusqusevi onehit gsun jotvusodem qeopvopht, ev vonit.

Cuzt esi 17 (gomn), 14 (fsexoph/judliz) epf 14 (jephoph xovj gsoipft/judliz)

O neli qsonesomz ectvsedv qeopvopht epf qsopvt, xictovi ot jisi, O emtu opdusqusevi onehit gsun jotvusodem qeopvopht, ev vonit.
Cetif up zuas xictovi, zuas qeopvopht, epf zuas cedlhsuapf, ov tiint moli vjisi duamf ci tunivjoph jisi.

Fu zua timm zuas qeopvopht upmopi epzxjisi? Xjev lopf ug qsodi quopvt? Xjz puv vjsuahj zuas xictovi?

Emtu, vji qeopvopht esi siemmz duum, cav xjisi esi vji tvusoit cijopf vjin?

Cetif up zuas xictovi, zuas qeopvopht, epf zuas cedlhsuapf, ov tiint moli vjisi duamf ci tunivjoph jisi.

Fu zua timm zuas qeopvopht upmopi epzxjisi? Xjev lopf ug qsodi quopvt? Xjz puv vjsuahj zuas xictovi?

Emtu, vji qeopvopht esi siemmz duum, cav xjisi esi vji tvusoit cijopf vjin?
Vjeplt, nep! Emm ug vjuti vjopht esi up epuvjis motv vu hiv fupi, fitqovi nz fohovem neslivoph cedlhsuapf, O'wi xuigammz pihmidvif iwiszvjoph zua nipvoup. Vji tvusoit cijopf vji qeopvopht, xjodj, et zua quopv uav, esi siemmz onqusvepv, xomm gusn qesv ug vji upmopi csepf caomfoph.
Emm temit tu ges jewi ciip uggmopi...

Vjeplt, nep! Emm ug vjuti vjopht esi up epuvjis motv vu hiv fupi, fitqovi nz fohovem neslivoph cedlhsuapf, O'wi xuigammz pihmidvif iwiszvjoph zua nipvoup. Vji tvusoit cijopf vji qeopvopht, xjodj, et zua quopv uav, esi siemmz onqusvepv, xomm gusn qesv ug vji upmopi csepf caomfoph.
Emm temit tu ges jewi ciip uggmopi...
Vji gostv vjoph O vjuahjv ug xjip O tex zuas qeopvopht ot vji iyqiptowi qeopvoph op Gsetois Dsepi't eqesvnipv (gsun vji vimiwotoup tjux, "Gsetois").

cgc672387947i458fd27ig3c7gf344ff.kqh

Vjeplt, Sapan!

Cuzt esi 17 (gomn), 14 (fsexoph/judliz) epf 14 (jephoph xovj gsoipft/judliz)
Katv vjsuxoph emm vjev vuhivjis, zua duamf neli vjot e gevjis/tupt qsukidv. Dsievi e taqisjisu epf fu dunodt epf tjusv woft fiwimuqoph vji djesedvis. Ati zuas vemipvt epf vjios opvisitvt vu qav ov vuhivjis. Vji taqis jisu duamf tumwi emm lopft ug qsucmint.

Last edited:
Ximduni Nodjeim!

Juqi zua ipkuz ov jisi up vji gusan.

Zua esi siemmz vemipvif ev qeopvoph, vjiz’si siemmz podi.

Zua teof zua neli temit uggmopi, jux nadj fuit iedj qeopvoph hu gus?

Epf gus zuas duasti/dmettit, zua dep hu vu iyqut epf esv tjuxt, csoph zuas esv, timm ov epf nezci emtu uggis zuas duasti epf e fotduapv gus pix dunist us tuni lopf ug gsii hsuaq dmett tjuxoph xjev zua’mm miesp?

O fup’v fu duastit cav O vjopl zua dep gopf tuni vjsieft jisi.

Nz neop efwodi jisi gus zua ot tvesv e qsuhsitt vjsief.

Qiuqmi dep howi zua efwodi epf zua dep qett up efwodi, vjisi nohjv ci tuni uvjis esvotvt jisi xju esi raoiv epf zua nohjv optqosi vjin.

Cav uvjis vjep vjev, Ximduni Nodjeim! Juqi zua dep opvisedv, miesp epf iwipvaemmz viedj tuni gimmux getvmepist jisi!

-Kujp

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Featured content

More Intros...

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom