The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sam Ovens, Legit?

Guru

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
Just another Tai?

These 'success stories' seem to be popping up more and more on the internet. People who have "overnight success" and now everyone wants to buy in on his recipe or secret.

Its really frustrating to see people following and believing what they say. Its like the new MLM. Selling bogus advice/methods.

"Sam Ovens started completely broke working out of his parents garage in New Zealand and in four short years built a wildly profitable consulting business, moved to Manhattan and made over $10 million dollars.

This FREE training class cut's right to the chase and reveals exactly how Sam was able to start and grow his consulting business so quickly and how you can do the same starting RIGHT NOW!

Sam has one of the best (if not the best) track records in this industry and has created 9 Millionaire consultants and 136 6-Figure consultants with his training.

Sam usually charges $6,000 - $36,000 to work with clients but this training reveals the exact same methods to you for FREE! Register now before this is taken offline in the new few days."

- Huffington Post

He has people posting all over his Facebook wall about how "his course made them successful."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I love stuff like this.

Instead of bitching, you guys should study what he is doing here.

The real problem is that you look at this as a product to buy that could help you. Look at it for what it is: a product that Sam Ovens is getting rich from.

You are still looking at this like a consumer.

You complain about seeing his ads, maybe getting "spam" emails, and his "guru" tactics - then come on this forum and read about how to build a business using things like PPC, copywriting, and landing pages.

Who gives a crap what the guy is doing - stuff like this is FREE education on what is working FOR SAM OVENS.

Open your eyes.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
I love stuff like this.

The real problem is that you look at this as a product to buy that could help you. Look at it for what it is: a product that Sam Ovens is getting rich from.

You complain about seeing his ads, maybe getting "spam" emails, and his "guru" tactics - then come on this forum and read about how to build a business using things like PPC, copywriting, and landing pages.

Who gives a crap what the guy is doing - stuff like this is FREE education on what is working FOR SAM OVENS.

Open your eyes.
Solid point, but most of these gurus aren't making that much; nowhere what a decent business owner makes. Except maybe the top guys; like Tai Lopez. So many of these gurus were taught by guru guru's; and it's just filtered it's way down.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Solid point, but most of these gurus aren't making that much; nowhere what a decent business owner makes. Except maybe the top guys; like Tai Lopez. So many of these gurus were taught by guru guru's; and it's just filtered it's way down.
If they are advertising, they are making money. End of discussion.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
If they are advertising, they are making money. End of discussion.
Sorry man I can't agree with this. Sam Ovens would be making money, as he has survived for quite some time; plenty of these gurus aren't. I know some; they've sunk $20k+ into this dream because some other guru told them they'd make it. That's why you see them pop up in your Facebook feed, and then they disappear within a few months.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
N would be making money, as N has survived for quite some time; plenty of others aren't.
*Edited quote.
This is how many online businesses manage to get any clients at all. They just managed to survive (barely covering their cost, with zero efficiency) and now claim that they are professionals.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I've seen ads for this guy too. Has anyone actually consumed his content & can attest to weather or not its legit?

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Has anyone actually consumed his content & can attest to weather or not its legit?
:headbanger:

Legit? If I sell you the world greatest hammer and you put it in your garage and never use it, the hammer doesn't somehow become less valuable - even though you will probably always regret the purchase.

No information stands alone in its value.

ALL INFORMATION IS ONLY AS VALUABLE AS YOU MAKE IT.

I would be willing to bet that 90%+ of the people that have purchased P90X, one of the most popular workout/weight loss programs in history, are in the same physical condition as they were prior to buying the program.

Does this make P90X any less legit? Go ahead and tell me that it does, and I can show you thousands of people that it has worked for.

That is why all of these things are guaranteed - because most people can recognize that their own lack of success comes from simply not following through.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
This is why when I become successful, I'll just write a book. Just a book. No RDPD rehash. I won't start a guru bullshit. MJ had the right idea :)

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
:headbanger:

Legit? If I sell you the world greatest hammer and you put it in your garage and never use it, the hammer doesn't somehow become less valuable - even though you will probably always regret the purchase.

No information stands alone in its value.

ALL INFORMATION IS ONLY AS VALUABLE AS YOU MAKE IT.

I would be willing to bet that 90%+ of the people that have purchased P90X, one of the most popular workout/weight loss programs in history, are in the same physical condition as they were prior to buying the program.

Does this make P90X any less legit? Go ahead and tell me that it does, and I can show you thousands of people that it has worked for.

That is why all of these things are guaranteed - because most people can recognize that their own lack of success comes from simply not following through.

Wow. Take my reps!!

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
attest to weather or not its legit?

You know...Tai actually mentioned this in one of his videos:
  • The worst that could happen is you lose $67 and a few hours.
  • Best thing, you may learn 1 or 2 new concepts.
If you're worried about investing a few bucks in yourself - you may have bigger problems.

Like @pickeringmt mentioned though - there's a swath of knowledge staring you in the face:

Why would these "Gurus" create content at the most basic level?
What about their upsells? - Their social media strategy? - Their copywriting?

It's all about asking the right questions.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is why when I become successful, I'll just write a book. Just a book. No RDPD rehash. I won't start a guru bullshit. MJ had the right idea :)

Unfortunately now the internet is rife with 20-something gurus who took a course from another 20-something guru on how to be a 20-something guru.

tngsnow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Oct 11, 2015
I love stuff like this.

Open your eyes.

So, we must ignore ethics and do what would bring us the most money?
That does not sound like a good strategy to build a long term business.

He is selling the overnight success, even if he really had it, he knows that it is so rare that instead of having more of it, he is selling an course on "How to do it". (Dont say it is free, it's a sales funnel.)

And the real problem here is that he is selling this shit to real hungry people who will end feeling bad for themselves, because this shit does not work, overnight success is not a rule, it's the exception.

The only thing that we should learn about this is what NOT to do if you really want to build a sustainable business.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Unfortunately now the internet is rife with 20-something gurus who took a course from another 20-something guru on how to be a 20-something guru.
Took the thoughts right out of my head. Sam said Dane was his mentor, Dane was inspired by RDPD, and Robert had a rich dad (supposedly).

From this:
00da2d3d32589d941bc910afc083416e.jpg

To this:

How-To-Start-An-Automated.jpg

To this:

gUNedc0GvoQowuB8Zl9PkDl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I believe that you can learn something from everyone but you don't have to agree with them.

I don't listen to what they say. I watch what they do. Opinions don't pay my bills.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Here you go lol, modern day snake oil

Wow. So you can be an 'expert' in Social Media just by being in the generation that grew up with it. Guess the 6 figures my company has put into FB Ads constantly learning in the last 6 months was pointless; we should've just been born a few years earlier or hired a 16 year old expert...

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Wow. So you can be an 'expert' in Social Media just by being in the generation that grew up with it. Guess the 6 figures my company has put into FB Ads constantly learning in the last 6 months was pointless; we should've just been born a few years earlier or hired a 16 year old expert...

SUCKS TO BE YOU, DUMB a$$.

I jest, of course.

One thing I do want to point out, is that our very own Andy Black points out that expertise is a sliding scale. A millenial that grew up with social media is more expert than an old fuddy duddy, and could probably help them. As long as the consultant doesn't lie about credentials or experience, I don't think it's unethical. This is predicated on a money back guarantee and the expectation of performance, of course.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
You are completely misinterpreting what I said.

I said look at the way he is selling the course, not "buy the course".

Another thing to keep in mind here - my guess is that this is just another way for this guy to monetize/productize his own experience. It's really not any different than a friend telling you about how he did something. The only difference is that it is packaged for mass consumption.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One thing I do want to point out, is that our very own Andy Black points out that expertise is a sliding scale. A millenial that grew up with social media is more expert than an old fuddy duddy, and could probably help them. As long as the consultant doesn't lie about credentials or experience, I don't think it's unethical. This is predicated on a money back guarantee and the expectation of performance, of course.
Gosh. Did I say that? Must have been some Guiness induced moment of clarity.

My position is that you don't need to be an expert, just to deliver results (ethically of course).

I can put as many accomplishments on my CV/About Me page... but the client isn't going to keep paying if I don't get them results.

Similarly, I got started as an AdWords dude the day a voucher fell out of a book (see thread "You don't need to be an expert".)

Guess what? Data has no value. Information has no value. Knowledge has no value. Action has some value (more than I realised tbh).

*Results* are what has value. Results are what the market pays for.

(Sigh... I know, I know, I'm simplifying and plenty of people will buy information, never read it, never act on it, and never get the results they should have been seeking - just the result of feeling good for buying the information.)

If YOU increase YOUR knowledge but never act on it, then it's effectively added YOU no value.

But taking action mindlessly isn't enough (although better than you'd think).

"The market doesn't pay for activity" is a nice line I repeat to myself often.

We can be busy fools.

Plus you're not going to pay for a pizza when they come through from the kitchen and say it's not been made but they've been very busy trying to make it.

I think I did a thread on this called "The need for speed".

Anyway, I'm rambling...

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014

can't tell you how downright excruciating its becoming to go to any website nowadays with the ad blocker off. Its non stop advertising, non stop. NO one is a guru because you know how to write flashy blurbs and use pyschological manipulation to get sales!

any one can do Facebook ads today as well. anyone can buy 10k friends on their social media account to use as social proof against you!

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Preach, brother. Preach.

SELL OR BE SOLD

Most info out there is about getting you to think/feel/react a certain way. Realize that and the force of its persuasion diminishes. Many people are waking up to the sales tricks. How many people know the US MEDIA can engage in propaganda/lieing legally and spread that message to American citizens? Guess what they can. You are seeing it in full force btw in the hillary v trump stuff.

Most people are ok with genuine sales tactics that do provide value and always will be. They say without a sale, nothing happens. As MJ nailed, nothing happens without adding value.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
these people gotta be sociopaths man...

No matter how much i hate the 9-5 I could never willfully scam people on this level, selling fake dreams, that crosses a line for me.

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta

Honestly, I don't use instagram as much as I used too, because the amount of young 20 year olds, and becoming experts on MAKING MONEY, and GIVING LIFE ADVICE.
Any one can go to the bank, take our cash, and spread it all over the bed, and then all of a sudden become 'expert'.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA

He is selling the overnight success, even if he really had it, he knows that it is so rare that instead of having more of it, he is selling an course on "How to do it". (Dont say it is free, it's a sales funnel.)

And the real problem here is that he is selling this shit to real hungry people who will end feeling bad for themselves, because this shit does not work, overnight success is not a rule, it's the exception.

The only thing that we should learn about this is what NOT to do if you really want to build a sustainable business.

You are missing the point.

In order to really learn the lesson, you have to look at it from the perspective of the producer, not the consumer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.