The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Saving while building ?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Michael Greene

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 2, 2015
Detroit
Hey guys,

I listen to a lot of speakers that talk about this but i was wondering how applicable it is to people who are still trying to build their career or business.

Does it make sense to save (follow the 70% / 20% / 10% rule from Richest Man In Babylon) while you're trying to build your business up? Or should you be putting all your money into your business?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Invest 70% into learning, 20% into your business and save 10%.
Otherwise enjoy pennies.

(but why?)
Because smart 20% investment makes more ROI than 70% not so smart investment.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
follow the 70% / 20% / 10% rule from Richest Man In Babylon

Slowlane dogma will yield Slowlane results.

If you have a business that prints dollars, why would you redirect money into a system that prints pennies?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Slowlane dogma will yield Slowlane results.

If you have a business that prints dollars, why would you redirect money into a system that prints pennies?
Our job as business owners isn't to make money, it's to build businesses that make money.

(Listen to someone that's already done it!)

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I apologize for my ignorance but in a business. If you Invest 70% into learning, 20% into your business and save 10% where does ones income come from?
The Richest Man in Babylon encourages you to get a JOB and merely save 10% for future prosperity. As @MJ_Demarco pointed out, that is the typical Slowlane dogma. On this forum, we turn that philosophy upside down.

Like @Andy Black said, we are focused on building "money tree" businesses and being the business owners...so our income comes from our businesses, which initially came from our customers.

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
OP's question also included "should we save 10% while building the business".

I'm not in a position to answer this since my current business doesn't require much money to build. Maybe we should save a little in case things don't go well? :D

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
What are you saving for?

Most people save cause thats what they think theyre supposed to do. I generally save then spend on something that will yield more to save.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I believe an adequate amount of capital reserves is necessary but it all depends on the business and its situation.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
so, many people here malign video games ( I get it, they're generally a waste of time ), but I think there are some strong parallels between real time strategy games and business. Not that playing Starcraft will make you better at business, but there are some lessons to be distilled.

For instance, in Starcraft you win by harvesting resources (making sales) and investing that money into technology infrastructure (to make your army of employees more productive), more units to harvest resources (sales people), and more combat units (employees to wage war against your competitors).

The top players in the game only save up enough to purchase expensive infrastructure that will facilitate one of the four goals above. The rest of the time they are balancing income with expenses to keep their money as close to zero as possible. If they allow cash to build up without using it for something productive, they fall behind quite quickly (because the opponent is keeping their money low).

The same rules apply to business. You should be creating a machine that prints money, and you use that money to make the machine run faster and more efficiently.

There are only two situations in which you should be saving money:

if you're afraid of a cash flow crisis, in which case you'd need a small emergency reserve to weather the storm.

Or if you are saving for expensive infrastructure to upgrade your machinery.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
The Richest Man in Babylon encourages you to get a JOB and merely save 10% for future prosperity. As @MJ_Demarco pointed out, that is the typical Slowlane dogma. On this forum, we turn that philosophy upside down.

Like @Andy Black said, we are focused on building "money tree" businesses and being the business owners...so our income comes from our businesses, which initially came from our customers.
I think he was asking about how a business could make money if only 20% is invested in business.
Like "How can I generate income if I don't spend 70% on product stock and advertising".

In reality it's much more effective to spend 70% to learn how to make your 20% investment work at 100% efficiency, instead of making 70% investment work at 1% efficiency, because you cannot even hypothetically know how to make it perform better.

Last edited:

Michael Greene

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 2, 2015
Detroit

Please SEARCH before posting.