What's new

Self employed all my life and guilty

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Dunnichen

New Contributor
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
275%
Hi All

So my name is Stu and I'm half way through Fastlane with Unscripted sitting there to go.

I've been guilty of letting my self employment and businesses become my job, initially starting with what I love, cars, I became a driving instructor (and a really good one, one of the top 6% in the UK for my standards of training ) with dreams of operating a national driving school ~ but somehow seemed to lack the drive and education to get that off the ground and so it went nowhere except 10 years stuck in a rut and barely making headway... during this time I trained in NLP, I trained in Hypnotherapy, I trained in Martial Arts and co-owned a training school with another Sensei; I also did the Therapist at home thing ~ none of which has been turning the key in my head and so was still stuck in that rut.

An unfortunate change of circumstances meant I needed to change my income and so started working with dogs, more of what I enjoy...walking them was breath of fresh air, literally, having lived a decade in a car and congestion. About a year in the client list was full and I was making decent (pfft) money with plenty more time to spare than the old driving lifestyle (yay) ~ so I opened a dog grooming salon. Its now its 3rd year and the client list is full again but I'm still stuck with a low to moderate income...and deciding what to do next.

Enter MJ with FL and Unscr...
With all Ive read so far, I'm in total agreement with MJ thankfully and see my own failings left right and centre. I still feel I'm approaching this with huge caution though...Ive read all the Tony Robbins, Brian Tracy, Grant Cardone and have even seen Abraham Hicks live in London ~ I'll obviously not let these past experiences do anything other than help, but I find myself broken with disappointment and the growing consideration/probability that I'll just never make it. Sooo worried and anxious I'll be stuck in this mediocre earning experience, borrowing money to buy a new business vehicle or pursue my passion because I just haven't "got it" ...deeply upsetting and frustrating.

One of the reasons I took to here today instead of waiting until I have finished FL and Unscr is my partner announced last night her 5 year plan was to move back to the Scottish Islands to be with her family, wants me to go with her and start a business up North. Ive no problem with this...except for the 5/6 years its taken to grow my existing business. Seems like I'll have to sell it - cant take the clients with me!
The good thing is I'm a pretty resilient guy so I'll bounce back with this ~ but now seems I'll have to make my bucket loads wherever I live...that passion I was talking about earlier is I know how to sail, own an old 28' boat and want to enjoy the live-aboard experience as well, so I have to learn to earn without location and its fixed client base; plus yachts aren't cheap and find myself looking at smaller and smaller boats because of the mediocre income Ive only just managed to achieve...I live in hope that I can make this work and not be crushed in self-disappointment again.

I have my motivations to keep going and have read much on here before taking the time to introduce myself ~ I've seen the honesty and integrity some of you write with and no doubt some of you are doing EXTREMELY well. Well done!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Ive given up looking at yachts for the meantime, given up daydreaming if you like and I now have 5 years to make a difference to her life and mine.
Stu

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Ximduni!

Huuf madl up zuas kuaspiz! O'n tasi zua'mm ci ecmi vu neli ov. Sinincis moli NK teof op VNG vji txiev ug tadditt ot geomasi. Liiq huoph! Vji nutv taddittgam esi tuelif!

Up epuvjis puvi, zua tez zua jewi 5 ziest vu neli e foggisipdi gus zua epf zuas qesvpis. 5 ziest ot e muph voni. Vsz neli ov e tjusvis voni gseni moli e zies us tunivjoph epf tiv tqidogod huemt ev tqidogod vonit cideati O'wi miespv vjev jewoph tadj csuef visnt moli 5 ziest op vji gavasi tonqmz fuitp'v nuvowevi ni tunivonit epf deatit ni vu xeffmi esuapf epf ci moli 'ziej O huv __ ziest'.

Jewi e huuf fez/pohjv!

Ximduni!

Huuf madl up zuas kuaspiz! O'n tasi zua'mm ci ecmi vu neli ov. Sinincis moli NK teof op VNG vji txiev ug tadditt ot geomasi. Liiq huoph! Vji nutv taddittgam esi tuelif!

Up epuvjis puvi, zua tez zua jewi 5 ziest vu neli e foggisipdi gus zua epf zuas qesvpis. 5 ziest ot e muph voni. Vsz neli ov e tjusvis voni gseni moli e zies us tunivjoph epf tiv tqidogod huemt ev tqidogod vonit cideati O'wi miespv vjev jewoph tadj csuef visnt moli 5 ziest op vji gavasi tonqmz fuitp'v nuvowevi ni tunivonit epf deatit ni vu xeffmi esuapf epf ci moli 'ziej O huv __ ziest'.

Jewi e huuf fez/pohjv!
Vjot, zit! O lpux xjev zua niep. Vjeplt :)
Xjip O vjopl ecuav ov, O dep tii ov cioph 4 ziest gus uas nuwi xjodj xomm niep timmoph vji catopitt op apfis 3 tu O civvis hiv e nuwi up pux.
Eqqsidoevif.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom