The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling on Amazon? Amazon Vendors are vastly different than Amazon Sellers.

Being

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Jan 12, 2016
Amazon Vendors are vastly different than Amazon Sellers.
It is estimated that over 75% of US consumers shop on Amazon.com
If you want your product to be seen and purchased by the US market, Amazon is clearly the best way to do this.
There are 2 vastly different accounts you can have with to sell your product on Amazon.
Without going into a lot of detail about each account I will just highlight the most important differences.
A Sellers Account
  1. Anyone can open one.
  2. Your product is in a sea of tens of thousands of products.
  3. You sell one unit at a time. You have a choice. You can either fulfill your own product (i.e. ship your product to the customer) or you can for a fee have Amazon do your fulfillment.
  4. You get paid as your product sells. Unless you do Amazon fulfillment. Then you must send a large amount of product to Amazon and to have Amazon sit on the product until someone actually orders it. Thats a lot of money in inventory sitting there until you move it through Amazon.
  5. You CANNOT utilize Amazons internal PPC marketing program they just rolled out last year. This means that customers are going to have to find your product through a general search. Good luck selling your product that way as most consumers never leave the 1st page of a search result.
A Vendor Account
  1. You must be invited by Amazon or hire an agency that will get your product in as a Vendor.
  2. Amazon buys from you. Amazon now buys from you with wholesale pricing that you specify and in large quantities. No more sitting on inventory waiting for someone to buy something piecemeal.
  3. Amazon provides all customer contact, fulfillment and returns. Saving you a ton of time and money to not staff these needs yourself.
  4. You are paid in full for all orders with 30 days. Direct deposit to your bank account for the entire order...now you're really cooking with peanut oil.
  5. Amazon offers your product to all Prime Members. This means free shipping and if you don't think that free shipping means a lot to most US customers, think about it again.
  6. You CAN utilize Amazons internal PPC marketing program they just rolled out last year. This is a real game changer for your product because now your product appears on top of the list when a consumer keyword searches within Amazon. This works the same as it does when you do a google search. The keyword returns both paid and free items. Paid is on top which is the first thing the consumer sees and the free search results are down the page or many pages deep. Now where do you want your product to appear?
As you can see there are two vastly different ways to sell to 75% of the consumers in the United States. If you want your product to sell and sell big and fast there is really only one clear choice.

Troy Mangone

EDITED BY VIGILANTE TO REMOVE CONTACT INFORMATION

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I edited your post above to remove your contact information, lest people think you were only here to spam your services. Welcome to the forum! This forum has members who combine for several dozens of years worth of Amazon experience (including some Amazon vendors, former employees, consultants, and marketplace sellers.) Hang around and you will likely learn a few things! Glad you are here.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Let me correct a few things from your OP

A Sellers Account
  1. Anyone can open one. (as long as you have a business, credit card, bank account, and in many categories can substantiate your legitimate operations)

1. Your product is in a sea of tens of thousands of products. (it's literally side by side with Amazon owned listings)

1. You sell one unit at a time. You have a choice. You can either fulfill your own product (i.e. ship your product to the customer) or you can for a fee have Amazon do your fulfillment. (true)

1. You get paid as your product sells. Unless you do Amazon fulfillment. Then you must send a large amount of product toAmazon and to have Amazon sit on the product until someone actually orders it. Thats a lot of money in inventory sitting there until you move it through Amazon. (true)

1. You CANNOT utilize Amazons internal PPC marketing program they just rolled out last year. This means that customers are going to have to find your product through a general search. Good luck selling your product that way as most consumers never leave the 1st page of a search result. (FALSE. Any marketplace seller can use Amazon PPC advertising)
A Vendor Account
  1. You must be invited by Amazon or hire an agency that will get your product in as a Vendor. (true)

1. Amazon buys from you. Amazon now buys from you with wholesale pricing that you specify and in large quantities. No more sitting on inventory waiting for someone to buy something piecemeal. (at significantly LESS than your recovery costs as a marketplace seller. Amazon takes the retailer share of the margin... you don't)

1. Amazon provides all customer contact, fulfillment and returns. Saving you a ton of time and money to not staff these needs yourself. (similar to Amazon FBA, where they provide all of the same services)

1. You are paid in full for all orders with 30 days. Direct deposit to your bank account for the entire order...now you're really cooking with peanut oil. (sometimes. In MOST cases with new product lines, Amazon "buys" contingent inventory, and pays when product sells, not necessarily in 30 days. And, their preferred terms are N90, they like N60, and for the Sony's and Samsungs of the world will do N30.)

1. Amazon offers your product to all Prime Members. This means free shipping and if you don't think that free shipping means a lot to most US customers, think about it again. (FBA sellers are also prime eligible, and now you can be prime eligible in certain situations and still be FBM).

1. You CAN utilize Amazons internal PPC marketing program they just rolled out last year. This is a real game changer for your product because now your product appears on top of the list when a consumer keyword searches within Amazon. This works the same as it does when you do a google search. The keyword returns both paid and free items. Paid is on top which is the first thing the consumer sees and the free search results are down the page or many pages deep. Now where do you want your product to appear? (ALL forms of selling on Amazon have access to this.)

In most cases, the most profitable option is not to be an Amazon vendor, but to be a marketplace seller. You retain control, maximum profit, and can utilize all of the Amazon suite of services without losing profit and control.

Being

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Jan 12, 2016
Let me correct a few things from your OP

You think you are correcting me but I have 10 years selling experience on Amazon with my own products as well as representing other brands as Vendors.

A Sellers Account
  1. Anyone can open one. (as long as you have a business, credit card, bank account, and in many categories can substantiate your legitimate operations)

1. Your product is in a sea of tens of thousands of products. (it's literally side by side with Amazon owned listings) They are but it is unlikely you will be found just on a keyword search. Additionally, If your product is not a "prime" product its even more likely the consumer will choose the competition over you.

1. You sell one unit at a time. You have a choice. You can either fulfill your own product (i.e. ship your product to the customer) or you can for a fee have Amazon do your fulfillment. (true)

1. You get paid as your product sells. Unless you do Amazon fulfillment. Then you must send a large amount of product toAmazon and to have Amazon sit on the product until someone actually orders it. Thats a lot of money in inventory sitting there until you move it through Amazon. (true)

1. You CANNOT utilize Amazons internal PPC marketing program they just rolled out last year. This means that customers are going to have to find your product through a general search. Good luck selling your product that way as most consumers never leave the 1st page of a search result. (FALSE. Any marketplace seller can use Amazon PPC advertising) Do you mean sponsored products? Yes you can use the sponsored products marketing tool with Amazon but your ads will be displayed BELOW search results....if you want your ads to appear at the top of the page rather than appear below search results, in the right column on search results pages, or in an ad placement on detail pages you will need an advertising account available only to Vendors.
A Vendor Account
  1. You must be invited by Amazon or hire an agency that will get your product in as a Vendor. (true)

1. Amazon buys from you. Amazon now buys from you with wholesale pricing that you specify and in large quantities. No more sitting on inventory waiting for someone to buy something piecemeal. (at significantly LESS than your recovery costs as a marketplace seller. Amazon takes the retailer share of the margin... you don't) Once again its is clear you do not know what you are talking about. The Vendor sets their own wholesale pricing and MOQ's.

1. Amazon provides all customer contact, fulfillment and returns. Saving you a ton of time and money to not staff these needs yourself. (similar to Amazon FBA, where they provide all of the same services) at a significant cost...there goes your margins you were just referring to above.

1. You are paid in full for all orders with 30 days. Direct deposit to your bank account for the entire order...now you're really cooking with peanut oil. (sometimes. In MOST cases with new product lines, Amazon "buys" contingent inventory, and pays when product sells, not necessarily in 30 days. And, their preferred terms are N90, they like N60, and for the Sony's and Samsungs of the world will do N30.) That may be true for products that are new and not properly represented. ALL of my clients get net 30.

1. Amazon offers your product to all Prime Members. This means free shipping and if you don't think that free shipping means a lot to most US customers, think about it again. (FBA sellers are also prime eligible, and now you can be prime eligible in certain situations and still be FBM). FBA kills your margins that you were just bragging about.

1. You CAN utilize Amazons internal PPC marketing program they just rolled out last year. This is a real game changer for your product because now your product appears on top of the list when a consumer keyword searches within Amazon. This works the same as it does when you do a google search. The keyword returns both paid and free items. Paid is on top which is the first thing the consumer sees and the free search results are down the page or many pages deep. Now where do you want your product to appear? (ALL forms of selling on Amazon have access to this.) You are incorrect. The best marketing platform on Amazon is only available to Vendors as stated before. You can visit the site here.

In most cases, the most profitable option is not to be an Amazon vendor, but to be a marketplace seller. You retain control, maximum profit, and can utilize all of the Amazon suite of services without losing profit and control.
Absolutely false: As a Vendor, Amazon power buys your product using your wholesale pricing and MOQ's. They do this to stock all of their distribution centers. You do not have to pay operation staff to fulfill orders nor hire customer service agents to handle the public, returns and so forth. Also your postage cost is higher as a seller you are paying for each item shipped to the consumer, rather than as a Vendor you are shipping larger boxes with more product to one business location. If you properly set your pricing your profit margin is much higher than if you were to hire staff to do the same or use FBA at considerable cost. Your COG is also considerably higher using FBA because you have inventory sitting there and you don't get paid until it sells, whereas as a vendor you are paid 30 days after the PO is issued and the product is received by the distribution center that ordered it. Additionally, You have their top tiered advertising platform that is not available to anyone but a Vendor which will put your product front and center thus maximizing sales.

What is your personal best month selling a product as a seller? if it not in the 10k piece range...be a Vendor. For my clients the problem is not sales...it's keeping up with demand.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
Troy, with a two post record you are not doing very well. First pimping yourself in a first post and spewing false information. I have less than 2 years selling on the Amazon platform and know that some of your points are BS.

Without going point by point I will say this. If I sold my products via Vendor Central I would make less money per item than I currently do. The FBA fees are less than a standard keystone discount that I would have to give to Amazon to carry my product.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Absolutely false: As a Vendor, Amazon power buys your product using your wholesale pricing and MOQ's. They do this to stock all of their distribution centers. You do not have to pay operation staff to fulfill orders nor hire customer service agents to handle the public, returns and so forth. Also your postage cost is higher as a seller you are paying for each item shipped to the consumer, rather than as a Vendor you are shipping larger boxes with more product to one business location. If you properly set your pricing your profit margin is much higher than if you were to hire staff to do the same or use FBA at considerable cost. Your COG is also considerably higher using FBA because you have inventory sitting there and you don't get paid until it sells, whereas as a vendor you are paid 30 days after the PO is issued and the product is received by the distribution center that ordered it. Additionally, You have their top tiered advertising platform that is not available to anyone but a Vendor which will put your product front and center thus maximizing sales.

What is your personal best month selling a product as a seller? if it not in the 10k piece range...be a Vendor. For my clients the problem is not sales...it's keeping up with demand.

Well, Troy, I defer to you. My experience is only
1. being Amazon's original sourcing consultant on Amazon's payroll when we opened their consumer electronics store with several thousand skus in one day
2. being Amazon's buyer/merchant recruiter during the .com boom, and being on Amazon's payroll as one of their first consumer electronics merchants
3. Recently doing a podcast with their senior vice president of FBA sales
4. As a vendor, selling in to Amazon in excess of $100m for my clients annually at cost
and
5. As a marketplace seller, vendor, sales rep, and one time INSIDERS with buying responsibilities on behalf of Amazon

There are almost zero scenarios in which your profit margin as a vendor TO Amazon will be higher than your profit margin as a seller ON Amazon. Amazon's margins are anywhere from 15% to 60% retail margin from the vendor's cost to Amazon, and that comes straight from the vendor's margin. As a marketplace seller, you have a few expenses, but nowhere near what the margin hits can be in most categories to be a vendor selling directly to Amazon (or any other retailer). Amazon doesn't care what your MOQ's are.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to being a vendor vs. marketplace seller to Amazon. You're only presenting one side, and it happens to be the same side from which you try and get people to use your company as a middle man into Amazon. Either that, or you don't understand both sides... but my guess is you do.

I assume your clients if you have any believe what you're saying (and maybe you do also), and you're taking a cut to boot. You'll have a harder time selling it here. You can keep parroting the same bullshit, but it doesn't make it any more true. You really don't know much about the whole Marketplace Seller side of the business as most of the things you sell your clients on are also available to marketplace and FBA sellers. Do some homework.

How much do you charge your clients, and what service do you provide that they couldn't do without you?

I think you're just irritated that I took your contact information out of your post. Our members don't need protecting, but they're just spam adverse. My advice to you is to hang out here a bit, get a feel of the place, learn a few things, and you will probably meet some cool people along the way with mutual interests.

If you came here to sell your services (which from only 2 posts is all I can surmise) you're at the wrong forum.

Last edited:

Being

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Jan 12, 2016
Troy, with a two post record you are not doing very well. First pimping yourself in a first post and spewing false information. I have less than 2 years selling on the Amazon platform and know that some of your points are BS.

Without going point by point I will say this. If I sold my products via Vendor Central I would make less money per item than I currently do. The FBA fees are less than a standard keystone discount that I would have to give to Amazon to carry my product.
You are absolutely wrong rookie and how would you know you have never had a Vendor account... You've been selling for 2 years? What have you sold 2k units in 2 years? Do you think that makes you an expert?
"Spewing false information?" That is one hell of an inflammatory, slanderous remark. None of my points are BS but are absolutly the truth and anyone that has been doing this with as many products as I have would know im telling the dead on truth. You clearly do not know what you are talking about because most of you have never had nor been offered a Vendor account so how can you possibly now what you would have to sell your product for? I have been selling multiple products on Amazon for 10 years and there is without question a clear difference in not only the quantity you sell with a Vendor account but also the profit margin. Ill say it again since you guys don't want to read...YOU SET YOUR WHOlESALE PRICING!!!!! YOU SET YOUR MOQ's!!! You people clearly don't listen and you talk like you know but you know nothing.

Being

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Jan 12, 2016
The problem with guys like you is that with the little experience you have you think you really know what it takes to bring a product to market and manage the entire process. You've never actually done it before. You have just observed and been a consultant. The old adage is true those that can do and those that can't consult.

I have taken multiple brands that tried going the seller rout without much success and turned them into huge profit makers. I didn't consult I did it. I did with my own money and I did it with start up products that now you have heard of. If you weren't so focused on proving yourself right and actually read what I wrote you would see the economics and reasoning behind it. You would know that I am right. If you actually ever managed a successful product yourself you would know that operational costs and holding costs can BK any good product. What makes money is a product that sells and sells quickly. Cash flow with a turnover of less than 60 days. You can't do that with just a sellers account. You will never do enough volume and you will have product sitting around forever. Do you think factories just make 20 pieces? Of 50? Try thousands...they make thousands and pricing discounts accordingly but MOQ's start in the 1000's for factories. Otherwise your production costs are so high you cant compete in this market. DO THE MATH...

Some of your statements are so far out there I just really don't think you know what you are talking about. Like "Amazon doesn't care what your MOQ's are." Anyone that says something like that doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. You cant set just ANY MOQ but if you know how to properly manage your product you would know not only how to price your product but you would know the proper MOQ required to make your profit target with the wholesale price you set.

Being

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Jan 12, 2016
I edited your post above to remove your contact information, lest people think you were only here to spam your services. Welcome to the forum! This forum has members who combine for several dozens of years worth of Amazon experience (including some Amazon vendors, former employees, consultants, and marketplace sellers.) Hang around and you will likely learn a few things! Glad you are here.
I am a VENDOR of multiple products...products that I invented and took from conception to market. I also represent other like products. I thought I would contribute to something and share some knowledge but I see that the moderators that moderate a lesser know website think they know more than people that bring products to market...I'm very disappointed...

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I am a VENDOR of multiple products...products that I invented and took from conception to market. I also represent other like products. I thought I would contribute to something and share some knowledge but I see that the moderators that moderate a lesser know website think they know more than people that bring products to market...I'm very disappointed...
you might want to start over here, and when you do, do so with some humility. Even 'experts' don't know everything. Someone else may be just as successful as you on Amazon, but may have used a method completely the opposite of yours. That doesn't mean that you're right and they're wrong, or vice-versa. What it probably means is that there are deeper truths at work. I for one simply don't believe what you say here. There very rarely is 'one right way' to conduct business.

In my experience, there are a ton of variables that go into making a business work successfully. There is also, usually, some 'secret sauce' that is the core that actually makes the business profitable, and that has very little to do with decisions like 'should we become a vendor or not.'

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Please explain the difference between Amazon's internal PPC program vs their PPC campaigns that sellers do. You claim that without it your ads do not display on the 1st page within Amazon searches.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Also,

Is Amazon going to accept a 85% wholesale price when you are a vendor?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What makes money is a product that sells and sells quickly. Cash flow with a turnover of less than 60 days. You can't do that with just a sellers ac and those that can't consult.

You would know that I am right. If you actually ever managed a successful product yourself you would know that operational costs and holding costs can BK any good product. What makes money is a product that sells and sells quickly. Cash flow with a turnover of less than 60 days. You can't do that with just a sellers account. You will never do enough volume and you will have product sitting around forever. Do you think factories just make 20 pieces? Of 50? Try thousands...they make thousands and pricing discounts accordingly but MOQ's start in the 1000's for factories. Otherwise your production costs are so high you cant compete in this market. DO THE MATH...

Some of your statements are so far out there I just really don't think you know what you are talking about.

What do you consider enough volume on a sellers account? I'm curious because you talk about big volume and then quote that factory MOQs start in the 1000's? Obviously we know that. You think we would answer on this thread if we weren't ordering container loads? Do you consider $300k a month enough volume or are you talking about $1m a month? Just trying to understand where you are coming from because if you can't do that with a sellers account I wouldn't have confidence that you could do better with a vendor account.

Your first post sounds like you are talking down to us. And those bullet points are very subjective and open for interpretation. You also assumed that nobody here has been asked to be a vendor.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Please explain the difference between Amazon's internal PPC program vs their PPC campaigns that sellers do. You claim that without it your ads do not display on the 1st page within Amazon searches.

Not to jump fully into this shit show with some righteous a**hole(OP) but i think he is talking about the amazon marketing program vs the PPC platform.

https://ams.amazon.com/

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Not to jump fully into this shit show with some righteous a**hole(OP) but i think he is talking about the amazon marketing program vs the PPC platform.

https://ams.amazon.com/

Also available to qualified marketplace sellers. Lighthouse, I will PM you our Amazon marketing page.

Being

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Jan 12, 2016
I was just trying to be informative on the first post because a lot of people trying to bring products to market do not realize there is a difference. Most products do not get offered Vendor accounts. If you do the math it is far better to have a Vendor account. A huge reason it is better is you get paid 30 days after your product is received by Amazon. If you go the sellers rout and FBA your product could be sitting there awhile increasing your cost of goods. You also don't have access to Amazons best marketing platform. The picture below is of the platform I am referring too and notice who it is available to...not sellers...unless you sell media...incidentally AMS does not accept just any Vendor...tell ya what folks...why don't you go ahead and try to get an account with them...Ill make the Crow for me to eat if you can without being a Vendor. I have a good recipe because I have eaten it before...unless Amazon has been lying to me this entire time...its only available to Vendors.
Screen-Shot-2016-01-14-at-8.54.50-AM.png

Addressing your MOQ's from factories. Obviously the more you order at a time the more of a pricing discount you will receive. That of course depends on cash flow and product turnover.

Last edited:

Being

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Jan 12, 2016
Do you mean sponsored products? Yes you can use the sponsored products marketing tool with Amazon as a seller but your ads will be displayed BELOW search results....if you want your ads to appear at the top of the page rather than appear below search results, in the right column on search results pages, or in an ad placement on detail pages you will need an advertising account available only to Vendors.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Do you mean sponsored products? Yes you can use the sponsored products marketing tool with Amazon as a seller but your ads will be displayed BELOW search results....if you want your ads to appear at the top of the page rather than appear below search results, in the right column on search results pages, or in an ad placement on detail pages you will need an advertising account available only to Vendors.

Our FBA campaign product ads are at the top of the page, above the search results. They will appear above, in the middle of, and at the bottom of the page (usually all three.) Those are different than sponsored product ads.

I think the Amazon sponsored products he is referring to are the ads you can buy from Amazon for off channel advertising (like advertising an item for your website).

Doing a PPC campaign as a FBA merchant garners the best ad placement Amazon offers. Top of the page, before the search results.

Last edited:

Being

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Jan 12, 2016

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
It depends on the price point and perceived volume...among a couple of other factors...

Depends on the category.

From Apple, on iPhones? YES

From a random brand, on sweatshirts? No. 60% margin for Amazon from your retail for a sweatshirt vendor plus terms, chargebacks, etc... (i.e. your retail is $19.99, Amazon cost from you is $8.00)

Electronics? 20%

Speakers? 50%

Accessories? 50% Amazon margin, minimum

Normal payment terms will be N90. Some get N60. High ticket, recognized brands (Samsung, etc... N 30 days payment terms)

Plastic dinnerware? 40%

Computers? Maybe 10% margin for Amazon from your cost, delivered to Amazon, to their retail.

Camping gear? 40% -45%

Televisions? 12%-15% margin for Amazon

Throw out random categories and I will give you a ballpark.

Toys? 50%

Games 50%

Novelty 50%

Seasonal 60%

RTA furniture 50%

Home accessories 40%-60%

Tools 40%

Digital Cameras, MP3 around 20%

Electronic accessories, like tripods, wall mount brackets 50%

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This could have been an epic, epic thread full of tips and tricks and experiences and new ways of doing business and knowledge sharing between the top sellers on this forum. Instead we have condescension, defensiveness, annoying red text, and personal insults.

There's knowledge and insight in here but talk about taking the rocky road to get there.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

This is completely un-true, With amazon PPC you can bid for and most products have 1-2 PPC results on the first and second place on the search pages above the first organic result. If you bid for that, you can get that result and also the first sidebar. All on the open PPC platform for normal sellers. Then a week or two ago they announced Bid+ which specifically targets the first spot.

I agree with whoever said it above, you need a bulk sized dose of humility here.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
This could have been an epic, epic thread full of tips and tricks and experiences and new ways of doing business and knowledge sharing between the top sellers on this forum. Instead we have condescension, defensiveness, annoying red text, and personal insults.

There's knowledge and insight in here but talk about taking the rocky road to get there.

Yeah I think this thread would be great if it was completely re-written, lol.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I was just trying to be informative on the first post because a lot of people trying to bring products to market do not realize there is a difference. Most products do not get offered Vendor accounts. If you do the math it is far better to have a Vendor account. A huge reason it is better is you get paid 30 days after your product is received by Amazon. If you go the sellers rout and FBA your product could be sitting there awhile increasing your cost of goods. You also don't have access to Amazons best marketing platform. The picture below is of the platform I am referring too and notice who it is available to...not sellers...unless you sell media...incidentally AMS does not accept just any Vendor...tell ya what folks...why don't you go ahead and try to get an account with them...Ill make the Crow for me to eat if you can without being a Vendor. I have a good recipe because I have eaten it before...unless Amazon has been lying to me this entire time...its only available to Vendors.
Screen-Shot-2016-01-14-at-8.54.50-AM.png

Addressing your MOQ's from factories. Obviously the more you order at a time the more of a pricing discount you will receive. That of course depends on cash flow and product turnover.

I sent @LightHouse my Amazon Marketing Services account. Ask him if you have any questions. I don't care if you eat crow or not. That's not what we are about. It is totally OK here to be wrong, as long as you don't walk around like an a$$.

When you get your brand into the Amazon brand registry, you are eligible for an Amazon Marketing Services account. You don't have to become an Amazon vendor. Getting brand registry approval unlocks this portal access for you. https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/help.html?itemID=200955930

It's a separate process. It doesn't require being an Amazon vendor. (@LightHouse here's the link https://sellercentral.amazon.com/hz...izard?_encoding=UTF8&referrer=Self-registered)

It's 100% totally cool and OK that you didn't know that. I can take your criticisms and dismiss them (nobody really cares), but I do resent you mocking the very forum that you came to enlighten.

Last edited:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I sent @LightHouse my Amazon Marketing Services account. Ask him if you have any questions. I don't care if you eat crow or not. That's not what we are about. It is totally OK here to be wrong, as long as you don't walk around like an a$$.

When you get your brand into the Amazon brand registry, you are eligible for an Amazon Marketing Services account. You don't have to become an Amazon vendor. Getting brand registry approval unlocks this portal access for you. https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/help.html?itemID=200955930

It's a separate process. It doesn't require being an Amazon vendor. (@LightHouse here's the link https://sellercentral.amazon.com/hz...izard?_encoding=UTF8&referrer=Self-registered)

It's 100% totally cool and OK that you didn't know that. I can take your criticisms and dismiss them (nobody really cares), but I do resent you mocking the very forum that you came to enlighten.

If you want to restart, I can blow up (delete) this whole thread and you can spend some time reading and getting the hang of the place. Totally up to you. Or, we can leave it. What ever you want. I would prefer though to leave it so that people can learn from the follows.

Thanks for the links, I have brand registry for all the brands I have already. I wasn't aware you could get access to AMS via that however. I have only ever seen the AMS main signup page that the OP posted which has different requirements.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This could have been an epic, epic thread full of tips and tricks and experiences and new ways of doing business and knowledge sharing between the top sellers on this forum.

It still can be.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.