The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I Study my Passion or should I Even Study?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
Im 16 from Germany and currently Deciding What to Study, as Financial safeguard and/ or for my Future Business, which i dont know What it will be. I will no matter What Go to a Big city from my Home village, because I want Freedom and my own Apartment. (My parents have no Apartment, They have a House). So I have good Cash Reserves and also try to Sell my old things to get Even more. My parents could also Support me, but I only Said that I am going to Study and Not establishing a Company to them.

So I would Like to get advice if I should Study my Passion or should I Even Study?
My passions are Economy, history, philosophy
Im also good in Natural Sciences (except chemistry) but These are boring sometimes.
Well, I often tried to learn Programming but It just Never Catched me and so I Quited. I will finish the German equivalent to Highschool diploma at 19. But if I fail my Business and have no Money left, Then I would Need to work to Fill my reserves again.

I also dont know What Company I am going to estabhlish and Therefore its difficult to plan.

Its a chaotic text, but so is my brain about future.

Any Advice would by appreciated

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Im 16 from Germany and currently Deciding What to Study, as Financial safeguard and/ or for my Future Business, which i dont know What it will be. I will no matter What Go to a Big city from my Home village, because I want Freedom and my own Apartment. (My parents have no Apartment, They have a House). So I have good Cash Reserves and also try to Sell my old things to get Even more. My parents could also Support me, but I only Said that I am going to Study and Not establishing a Company to them.

So I would Like to get advice if I should Study my Passion or should I Even Study?
Im also good in Natural Sciences (except chemistry) but These are boring sometimes.
Well, I often tried to learn Programming but It just Never Catched me and so I Quited. I will finish the German equivalent to Highschool diploma at 19. But if I fail my Business and have no Money left, Then I would Need to work to Fill my reserves again.

I also dont know What Company I am going to estabhlish and Therefore its difficult to plan.

You can start a market research about business opportunities in your area based on the “cents”framework.

It has needs (paying customers), has some solid entry (not easy for any newcomer to come in) and has decent upside potential in financial reward.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India

If you think your formal education will help in your future ventures then Id recommend you complete your studies and meanwhile you can have side hustles like freelancing and other stuffs

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
Thank you both for your responses.
What would you recommend me for self development (except reading)? What else would be useful (especially for teenagers like me who want to get successful with the Fastlane)?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Thank you both for your responses.
What would you recommend me for self development (except reading)? What else would be useful (especially for teenagers like me who want to get successful with the Fastlane)?
It depends on the choices available and how the choices impact one another.

You have to do the research to make a more informed decision on what to study and if you should study after you finished high school at age 19. There are still three years to go.

If you don’t have a direction in life yet the best bet is doing things that will leave more doors open in the future. When an opportunity comes, not everyone will qualify to take advantage of it because few would have the skills and resources relevant. At your age 16 get good grades and save cash cannot be wrong. Learn more skills even if you don’t know how they will be useful in the future. That’s how connecting the dots works at later stage of your life.

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
It depends on the choices available and how the choices impact one another.

You have to do the research to make a more informed decision on what to study and if you should study after you finished high school at age 19. There are still three years to go.

If you don’t have a direction in life yet the best bet is doing things that will leave more doors open in the future. When an opportunity comes, not everyone will qualify to take advantage of it because few would have the skills and resources relevant. At your age 16 get good grades and save cash cannot be wrong. Learn more skills even if you don’t know how they will be useful in the future. That’s how connecting the dots works at later stage of your life.
I‘m currently thinking of Economics or industrial engineering. I yesterday researched a lot about it.
Economics: Many Math and economic content
Industrial Engineering: 70% math 30% economics but much better general knowledge in stem and others.
So I tend to industrial engineering but not 100%.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
unless you already have a profitable business, I would stick to school. Study what's going to get you a job because you'll need one before your business takes off - which could be years. I was passionate about photography when I was your age but I studied Graphic Design because I knew there was a job market for that skillset.

Also, you don't have to wait until graduation to start a business. Start with a side gig using your specialized skillset.

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
unless you already have a profitable business, I would stick to school. Study what's going to get you a job because you'll need one before your business takes off - which could be years. I was passionate about photography when I was your age but I studied Graphic Design because I knew there was a job market for that skillset.

Also, you don't have to wait until graduation to start a business. Start with a side gig using your specialized skillset.
In Germany it’s very hard to start a business before you are 18, so I will wait till this date. You will need to go to the court to start a business under 18.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Study written communication.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
In Germany it’s very hard to start a business before you are 18, so I will wait till this date. You will need to go to the court to start a business under 18.
Where do you see yourself at 21? What would he be doing on a daily basis? What things would your 21 year old self tell you to do NOW?

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
Where do you see yourself at 21? What would he be doing on a daily basis? What things would your 21 year old self tell you to do NOW?
Having a degree or nearly finished, Having a business idea and some side hustles. Reading daily( I already do that now). Getting a business partner. Moved to Munich.
Maybe getting a girlfriend…

Last edited:

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
Having a degree or nearly finished, Having a business idea and some side hustles. Reading daily( I already do that now). Getting a business partner. Moved to Munich.
Okay great! That's your 5-year Planasy. Now, what can you do from now until October 30, 2024, to achieve this? Focus on better grades so you can attend university in Munich? Get a job that allows you to save money for your side gig? What is it?

Write it down and take immediate action.

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
Okay great! That's your 5-year Planasy. Now, what can you do from now until October 30, 2024, to achieve this? Focus on better grades so you can attend university in Munich? Get a job that allows you to save money for your side gig? What is it?

Write it down and take immediate action.
Done, but I have another question. How do I find friends that aren’t saying that getting an entrepreneur won’t get you any money in your whole life? Did you had these problems too? Even that I have more intelligent friends than average those aren’t quite open for the fastlane mindset.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
Done, but I have another question. How do I find friends that aren’t saying that getting an entrepreneur won’t get you any money in your whole life? Did you had these problems too? Even that I have more intelligent friends than average those aren’t quite open for the fastlane mindset.
Yes I've experienced this problem. Currently, I do not have friends. I spent time with family and that's it. I decided to stop being friends with slowlaners and sidewalkers for two reason:

1. It's taxing to be around people who don't understand your mindset

2. I don't have free time to hang out weekends or holidays. As an entrepreneur - especially in the beginning - I'm balancing my business along with work (or school in your case). Weekends and holidays do not mean free days off. In the beginning, I'm trading 7 days of work for 0 days off; while my friends are trading 5 days of work for 2 days off. Eventually, it will pay off and I'll trade 0 for 7 but that often won't come until several years later.

Some people meet entrepreneur friends through the Chamber of Commerce, forums, or Facebook groups. I have tried those avenues. In my experience, these groups are filled with action fakers. The real entrepreneurs building businesses are extremely busy and don't want to spend their free time castle building.

Being alone made me realize I'm making better progress in my business when I don't have toxic friends weighing me down. I'm also more in tune with my wants, desires, flaws and strengths because I don't have sidewalkers and slowlaners influencing my decisions.

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
Yes I've experienced this problem. Currently, I do not have friends. I spent time with family and that's it. I decided to stop being friends with slowlaners and sidewalkers for two reason:

1. It's taxing to be around people who don't understand your mindset

2. I don't have free time to hang out weekends or holidays. As an entrepreneur - especially in the beginning - I'm balancing my business along with work (or school in your case). Weekends and holidays do not mean free days off. In the beginning, I'm trading 7 days of work for 0 days off; while my friends are trading 5 days of work for 2 days off. Eventually, it will pay off and I'll trade 0 for 7 but that often won't come until several years later.

Some people meet entrepreneur friends through the Chamber of Commerce, forums, or Facebook groups. I have tried those avenues. In my experience, these groups are filled with action fakers. The real entrepreneurs building businesses are extremely busy and don't want to spend their free time castle building.

Being alone made me realize I'm making better progress in my business when I don't have toxic friends weighing me down. I'm also more in tune with my wants, desires, flaws and strengths because I don't have sidewalkers and slowlaners influencing my decisions.
And what should I do with a Slowlane girlfriend( if I get one)? Convert her to fastlane?
Secondly I sometimes also thought about emigrating to another (eu if possible) country because Germany is currently…. Sick. Could you give me an advice on that? Options are German, English or French countries. But it’s hard being so far away from your social environment.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
And what should I do with a Slowlane girlfriend( if I get one)? Convert her to fastlane?
Secondly I sometimes also thought about emigrating to another (eu if possible) country because Germany is currently…. Sick. Could you give me an advice on that? Options are German, English or French countries. But it’s hard being so far away from your social environment.
1. Easy - don't date a slowlane girlfriend. You can't convert or change anyone. When you're growing your business, you'll be introduced to more people (men and women) that share your mindset. Birds of a feather flock together.
Right now, focus on becoming the right bird and eventually, you'll find your flock.

2. I've never immigrated to another country permanently. I live in China for a while; but I'm an American - it's easier for us to move there than vice-versa. I would research the countries you'd like to move to and how to get permanent residency.Learn a specialized skill that your desired country needs, talk to people who have moved to your desired country. I have met many immigrants who have moved to the United States to become teachers, doctors, tech workers etc. because the American government needed their skillsets. For teachers, its called the J-1 Teacher Exchange Program. You can find other programs through Home Page - BridgeUSA

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
1. Easy - don't date a slowlane girlfriend. You can't convert or change anyone. When you're growing your business, you'll be introduced to more people (men and women) that share your mindset. Birds of a feather flock together.
Right now, focus on becoming the right bird and eventually, you'll find your flock.

2. I've never immigrated to another country permanently. I live in China for a while; but I'm an American - it's easier for us to move there than vice-versa. I would research the countries you'd like to move to and how to get permanent residency.Learn a specialized skill that your desired country needs, talk to people who have moved to your desired country. I have met many immigrants who have moved to the United States to become teachers, doctors, tech workers etc. because the American government needed their skillsets. For teachers, its called the J-1 Teacher Exchange Program. You can find other programs through Home Page - BridgeUSA
Another question, do you apply any sort of reading strategies to remind more from what you read(like speed reading or making notices)?I also did a lot of research on this and it’s confusing.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
Another question, do you apply any sort of reading strategies to remind more from what you read(like speed reading or making notices)?I also did a lot of research on this and it’s confusing.
No - I listen to Audiobooks because it encourages me to finish the book. Plus, I can work on other things while I listen.

What's more crucial is completion and implementation. If it takes 1 week instead of two days to read a book, that's fine. Focus on finishing the book and implementing it. I cannot stress implementation enough. Books are fabulous but taking immediate action is best.

Nowadays, I only read to research a specific problem in my business. Occasionally I'll read someone's biography (I'm currently reading Elon Musk's) to learn more about a person's process.

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
No - I listen to Audiobooks because it encourages me to finish the book. Plus, I can work on other things while I listen.

What's more crucial is completion and implementation. If it takes 1 week instead of two days to read a book, that's fine. Focus on finishing the book and implementing it. I cannot stress implementation enough. Books are fabulous but taking immediate action is best.

Nowadays, I only read to research a specific problem in my business. Occasionally I'll read someone's biography (I'm currently reading Elon Musk's) to learn more about a person's process.
What do I do if my parents don’t like my idea? I never said it to them that I want to found a company.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
What do I do if my parents don’t like my idea? I never said it to them that I want to found a company.
You will have to decide what's best for your situation.

I chose to leave the house at 18 and become independent from my parents. I struggled financially (and still somewhat do) but I'm making more progress than when I was at home.

Maybe instead of business (because of the laws in your country), you can use your extra time to focus on grades, test scores, and college tours in Munich.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Europe19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 23, 2023
Germany/ Bavaria
You will have to decide what's best for your situation.

I chose to leave the house at 18 and become independent from my parents. I struggled financially (and still somewhat do) but I'm making more progress than when I was at home.

Maybe instead of business (because of the laws in your country), you can use your extra time to focus on grades, test scores, and college tours in Munich.
Should I make a master after my bachelor? Is it worth it? Or in which cases should I do it?

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
Should I make a master after my bachelor? Is it worth it? Or in which cases should I do it?
That is a choice you will have to decide on your own. I have met several entrepreneurs with various forms of education. Some have high school diplomas and others have Phds.

You don't need a masters to be a successful entrepreneur. College/University will teach you theories; however, those theories don't always work outside the classroom.

I don't have a Masters (just a Bachelors) and this hasn't affected my trajectory.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.