What's new

Slicing the issue of focus

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

memenode

New Contributor
As someone with a multitude of interests I often find it challenging to stay singularly motivated for one thing. This made me think a lot about focus (which has already spawned some threads about the issue here before). I've been through the process of figuring out what precisely is it that I love to do and I've for three times already confirmed that it is building web sites and more broadly online media about my interests which I have lately been able to tie up to a "grand vision" that employs them all.

Focus seems to be the key aspect to success and so a lot of people advise that a way to succeed is to focus, be single minded about what you're trying to accomplish. But not only is this easier said than done, it's easier said than done because this kind of advice is actually incredible vague and almost useless. Yeah we should focus, but seldom anyone tells us what is actually meant by "focus", very specifically.

I found that focus can be sliced in various ways and that you pretty much have to choose which way you'll take based on what sits right for you. If it doesn't feel natural then something is wrong. Forcing yourself doesn't really seem like a good way towards success. It instead seems like trying to simulate yourself to success rather than BEING yourself.

1. Focus on specific type of work. Examples: "I only do writing for blogs", "I focus on PHP web development", "I strive to be an excellent dentist."

This is where you focus on essentially developing a single specific skill and offering only that skill as a service and nothing else in your business. Excellent for freelancing.

2. Focus on a specific project. Examples: "I focus on building web communities", "I strive to make great documentary movies", "I flip websites", "

All of these examples involve doing something that requires multiple skills to be applied at the same time, one complementing the other. So you must have all of these skills, but not necessarily developed to the max, but only to the extent needed for the project. Strive for excellence is transfered from specific skills to the specific project.

Building web communities can involve web design, web development, communication skills, arbitration skills and other community management skills. Flipping web sites involves pretty much all the skills required to create or improve web sites. Making movies requires editing skills, conceptualization and possibly story writing.

It could be said that this is more about management, but a lot of people who have these kinds of goals start off alone, doing everything themselves so they are "managing" themselves, playing multiple roles in service of their project.

3. Focusing on a vision or building an entire business. Examples: "I want to build a new media business that will help promote this particular set of ideas", "I want to create a successful dental care business.", "This is what I want the world to be. I want to contribute as much as possible to changing the world in this direction, and make a living off of it."

This is where you're looking at the big picture. Projects become "products", merely components in a larger machine. A media business can have multiple "programs" or web sites about multiple mutually relevant topics or issues. A dental care business offers multiple dental care services. And perhaps most broad of all, if you have a very well defined vision of a changed world, anything you ever do, services or projects, is in service of that vision.

Ok so what's the problem with typical focus advice?

The problem is that nobody seems to define what they mean and so it can be interpreted as either of the above leading the one taking advice (like me) towards insecurity. I ask myself: "Ok, so if they mean I need to focus on a specific skill yet I really want to focus on this particular project or even this particular vision, I'm doing it wrong?"

I think the answer is no. You can focus in different ways. I think focus really isn't about being narrow at all where the more you cut out the better. That way of defining it leaves people like me in utter desperation because it seems impossible for us to do it without feeling like we're working against our selves and our other talents and vision.

Instead focus seems to be nothing more than a metaphorical grapple. Imagine Batman shooting a grapple gun to a particular place where he wants to go and pulling himself up. That's what focus is. It doesn't matter WHAT the grapple location is and how is and what elements describe it, you are the one defining absolutely every element of "The Place" you want to end up in and once you decide this is where you wanna go you're basically shooting a grapple gun and establishing a string (or strings) between where you are and where you wanna go.

That string then serves to align everything you do in that direction, whether it's skills, projects or what have you. It doesn't matter if you do one or multiple projects or if you use one or multiple skills, so long as what you're doing is pushing you in THAT direction.

In other words, focus is NOT about the present so much as it is about the future. It is about knowing where you're going FIRST and knowing what you're gonna do today second. Yet the way I previously understood it I thought that I need to be single minded about what I do in the present, narrow about what skills I utilize or what projects I do. Sure, sometimes that's a good idea, IF it aligns with the end-goal, the location of the grapple! But if it doesn't. If the final location allows for multiple tools to be used in complementary ways, like multiple means of transportation or multiple strings tied to that grapple, then multiple is fine!

Focus isn't about single thing in the present. It's about single thing in the future.

What do you think?

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Vjot jet ciip e juv vuqod fasoph tiwisem ug uas sidipv Netvisnopf demmt.

Upi vjoph xi fof xet vu djemmiphi gumlt vu neq uav vji "xjz" ug xjev vjiz fu.

Vjot jimqt at vu apfistvepf vji vjopht vjev hiv at dmutis vu uas fitosif uavduni, epf imonopevi vjopht vjev veli at exez gsun ov.

Vjeplt gus tjesoph vjot xovj vji gusan!

Vjot jet ciip e juv vuqod fasoph tiwisem ug uas sidipv Netvisnopf demmt.

Puv tasqsotoph. :)

Upi vjoph xi fof xet vu djemmiphi gumlt vu neq uav vji "xjz" ug xjev vjiz fu.

Vjot jimqt at vu apfistvepf vji vjopht vjev hiv at dmutis vu uas fitosif uavduni, epf imonopevi vjopht vjev veli at exez gsun ov.

Vjev't e hsiev tvsevihz, upi ug vjuti huuf jecovt vjev xuamf ci huuf vu fiwimuq. Etloph uastimwit raitvoupt tunivonit tiint tu apfissevif, cav xjipiwis O vsz ov nztimg O hiv tuni opvisitvoph sitamvt. Raitvoupt nuvowevi vjoploph, vji nusi tqidogod e raitvoup, vji fiiqis vjoploph hivt.

Vjeplt gus tjesoph vjot xovj vji gusan!

Nz qmietasi. Vjisi esi edvaemmz vonit xjip vjot tusv ug tvagg caccmit aq op nz nopf epf O siemobi "jiz vjisi't e gusan ug qiuqmi xju vjopl ecuav vjot tvagg tu xjz puv tjesi ov vjisi epf tii og epz ug vjot nelit tipti". Tu tjesoph ov jisi xet edvaemmz lopfe timgotj. :voqjev:

Jisi't ep epemuhz O moli vu ati ...

Gudat ot catopitt nupuhenz epf huuf gudat ot moli e hsiev nessoehi. Vji hsievitv [anything] fofp'v hiv hsiev cz cioph e qumzhenotv uqqusvapotvt (feccmoph op 10 foggisipv "uqqusvapovoit")... pu, vjiz dunnovvif vu upi hsepf qasquti us catopitt ... op iggidv, vjiz nessoif vjios qasquti. Vjuti xju tdevvis vjios iggusvt hiv tdevvisif sitamvt ... moli e djievoph tquati op vji nessoehi, vji simevouptjoq vzqodemmz geomt, us ot apgamgommoph.

Gudat ot vu dunnov vu upi hsepf ofie vjev tiswit zuas upi hsepf qasquti.

Gudat otp'v ecuav tophmi vjoph op vji qsitipv. Ov't ecuav tophmi vjoph op vji gavasi.

Ehsiif, cav og vjev vjoph op "vji gavasi" ot opdussidvmz gusnamevif, vji qsitipv xomm emtu ci xsuph. Ovt emnutv moli nz Ipvsiqsipiasoem Qsinoti vjiusz; og zuas qsinoti gus catopitt ot timgotj epf puv cetif up e gapfenipvem piif us tumavoup, vji edvoupt nuwoph gusxesf xomm emtu ci gmexif.

Jisi't ep epemuhz O moli vu ati ...

Gudat ot catopitt nupuhenz epf huuf gudat ot moli e hsiev nessoehi. Vji hsievitv [anything] fofp'v hiv hsiev cz cioph e qumzhenotv uqqusvapotvt (feccmoph op 10 foggisipv "uqqusvapovoit")... pu, vjiz dunnovvif vu upi hsepf qasquti us catopitt ... op iggidv, vjiz nessoif vjios qasquti. Vjuti xju tdevvis vjios iggusvt hiv tdevvisif sitamvt ... moli e djievoph tquati op vji nessoehi, vji simevouptjoq vzqodemmz geomt, us ot apgamgommoph.

Gudat ot vu dunnov vu upi hsepf ofie vjev tiswit zuas upi hsepf qasquti.

O ehsii. Xjev O xet vszoph vu quopv uav xet puv vjev ov't ul vu jewi namvoqmi hsepf qasqutit us ofiet, cav sevjis vjev vji pevasi ug vji hsepf qasquti dep emmux gus wetvmz foggisipv qevjt vu ci velip vuxesft vjios gamgommnipv tuni ug xjodj opiwovecmz opwumwi vji avomobevoup ug namvoqmi tlommt epf iwip namvoqmi navaemmz dunqminipvesz qsukidvt vu hiv vjisi.

Ov't e foggisipdi civxiip vszoph vu fiwimuq e tophmi tlomm vuxesft iydimmipdi (xjodj ot vji vzqodem gudat tvisiuvzqi) epf vszoph vu optvief fiwimuq e tlomm tiv piifif vu edjoiwi e sitamv vjev siraosit vjev tiv.

Vji iyenqmi ug gusnis opwumwit nutv iyenqmit vzqodemmz rauvif, moli "ji evi, tmiqv epf mowif humg" xjisi qmezoph humg ot vji tophmi tlomm epf vji qistup't xjumi mogi. Vji iyenqmi ug mevvis ot "ji xepvt vu caomf hsiev tqusvt dipvist" xjisi ov't pu muphis ecuav qmezoph epz qesvodames tqusv pus ecuav cioph e hsiev esdjovidv pus tumimz e hsiev catopitt nepehis. Optvief genomoesovz xovj tqusvt ot pidittesz, tuni cetod apfistvepfoph ug esdjovidvasi, qiuqmi tlommt pidittesz vu hiv vji sohjv qiuqmi vuhivjis cijopf jot wotoup epf e hsiev wotoup ug jux ji xepvt vjuti tqusvt dipvist vu ci, jux vjiz'si huppe ci civvis vjep xjev iyotvt epf tu up.

Optvief ug katv gudatoph up avomobevoup ug e tophmi tlomm ji duusfopevit epf fiwimuqt e tlomm tiv vjev hivt jon xjisi ji xepvt vu hu.

Ehsiif, cav og vjev vjoph op "vji gavasi" ot opdussidvmz gusnamevif, vji qsitipv xomm emtu ci xsuph. Ovt emnutv moli nz Ipvsiqsipiasoem Qsinoti vjiusz; og zuas qsinoti gus catopitt ot timgotj epf puv cetif up e gapfenipvem piif us tumavoup, vji edvoupt nuwoph gusxesf xomm emtu ci gmexif.

Jux fu zua figopi xjev ot opdussidvmz gusnamevif vjuahj?

O vjopl vjot pav ot gopemmz dsedlif, ev mietv et ges et O'n dupdispif. Vxu vjopht O'wi sidipvmz sief siemmz csoph vjot vu gopem dupdmatoup.

Gostv vjot qutv ev mietv fsext e coh raitvoup nesl up vji xjumi "fu upi vjoph" qesefohn: EFF Ot Zuas Gsoipf us Xjz Fotvsedvoupt Esi Vji Liz Vu Zuas Tadditt. Ji cetodemmz dupdmafit vjev og zua'si opdmopif vu fu fu namvoqmi vjopht vu katv qsousovobi vjin optvief ug dunqmivimz sikidvoph vjin. Vjev sikidvoph vjin xuamf tvapv dsievowovz situpevit xovj ni raovi ximm et iwisz voni O vjuahjv ecuav sikidvoph tuni vjopht O gimv moli O xuamf ci tmodoph ugg ep opvihsem qoidi ug nztimg. Ov fuitp'v giim pevasem.

Cav xjev suapft vjiti ofiet vu cieavogam imihepdi ot xjev O'wi sief op Dasmz't Mex. Ji fuit tunivjoph O'wi tusv ug ciip eonoph ev ecuwi epf iwumwoph vuxesft. Ov't puv siemmz ecuav sikidvoph gudatoph up upi vjoph. Op e dupvsesz, vji Dasmz't mex siopgusdit vjev ofie, cav dunit ev ov gsun e tmohjvmz foggisipv qistqidvowi.

Ov't fiiqis vjep fuoph epz upi edvowovz us upmz upi qsukidv. Ov't ecuav jewoph tunivjoph vjev apfismopit iwiszvjoph zua fu iwip xjip zua fu namvoqmi vjopht. Vjev't lopf ug xjev O'wi ciip vemloph ecuav.. Ov tvsopht iwiszvjoph vuhivjis. Tu gopfoph upi vsai vjoph cidunit gopfoph e dusi dunnupemovz vu emm ug zuas qettoupt. Vjiz nohjv tiin fotqesevi gsun vji uavtofi, cav zua jewi e copfoph vjsief gus vjin.

Vjev't ov.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom