Hello! I've recently finished listening to TMF (gotta do something on my commute) and really believe I need to make a change.
I'm 34, single, and have been a web developer for over 7 years. I've also got a (non-computer) engineering degree and a 2-year programming diploma. There's nothing wrong with my job on the surface. It pays pretty well, decent environment and people, and we get to use modern technologies and tools. I'm just sick of working for someone else, using my time, energy, focus, and creativity to make money for some corporation, where not even my own effort affects my salary. I could realistically double my income going from employed to contracting, but I don't think I'd be any happier, while likely adding stress securing contracts.
Basically, all I've known growing up through family and friends is the slow lane, and I'm successful enough at it that I could coast along for the next 30 years taking 3-week vacations each year (if I stay 6 more years I get 4 weeks ZOMGS) and retire comfortably. I just worry that I'd be miserable the whole time, and would continue wasting my spare time with distractions along the way.
I'm sick of being a cog in the wheels, so I'm hoping I can find some ideas, confidence, and motivation here to get me started in a venture I believe in.
I'm 34, single, and have been a web developer for over 7 years. I've also got a (non-computer) engineering degree and a 2-year programming diploma. There's nothing wrong with my job on the surface. It pays pretty well, decent environment and people, and we get to use modern technologies and tools. I'm just sick of working for someone else, using my time, energy, focus, and creativity to make money for some corporation, where not even my own effort affects my salary. I could realistically double my income going from employed to contracting, but I don't think I'd be any happier, while likely adding stress securing contracts.
Basically, all I've known growing up through family and friends is the slow lane, and I'm successful enough at it that I could coast along for the next 30 years taking 3-week vacations each year (if I stay 6 more years I get 4 weeks ZOMGS) and retire comfortably. I just worry that I'd be miserable the whole time, and would continue wasting my spare time with distractions along the way.
I'm sick of being a cog in the wheels, so I'm hoping I can find some ideas, confidence, and motivation here to get me started in a venture I believe in.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
