The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting Over At 32 - Rebuilding My Empire

dkt91

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 15, 2008
Munich, Germany
I started my first business thanks to MJ's writings many years ago when I was 17 years old, and it was a life-defining decision. I made many mistakes along the way and should have followed some of MJ's advice more closely, especially the commandment of control. Essentially, we got sh*t-sandwiched between Amazon and Google with my business, and while it worked out beautifully for a while, it only took them a month or so to send us down from $250K/month to almost nothing.

The positive:

I made and saved well over $1MM during the last couple of years while living a Fastlane Lifestyle and traveling the world in my 20s, so I won't complain. Also, the business I originally started is still yielding some ~$5K/month in passive income, so I'm in a good position to start over now. The hard thing right now is to actually get moving with full speed again. I can't deny that I had become too complacent during the years of success. Or, in MJ's words from his first book, I stopped running.

Physically, I'm in my prime, since I've been taking great care of my body. I look (and probably feel) younger and more energetic than most people in their 20s, myself included.

I'm ready to roll again, to start over and to build something bigger, better, and more impactful this time!

Cleaning out my closet:

Here are some things I want to clarify to myself, the world, and the universe before this new journey begins:
  • While I made some stupid mistakes and eventually lost my business, it is still absolutely valid to feel proud of the achievements in my 20s. Yes, I could have made more money had I been smarter about some things, but these events are now in the past. I am obliged to learn from my mistakes and anti-patterns, but I still have every reason to feel proud of my accomplishments and I want myself to remember that whenever I feel down, not worthy, or not smart enough to hit the accelerator hard.
  • What is to follow for me is a period of temporary restraint in areas that have nothing to do with building my Fastlane Business. Physical fitness, mental health, and spending time with family and friends occasionally are non-negotiable. However, playing video games, spending money on unnecessary things, and loading up my plate with issues that don't serve me on my quest are not.
  • I'm doing this because I know that I have it in me, and because I want to allow my future family and myself to live our best lives, fueled by freedom and the power to live our lives on our own terms.
  • I am not going to touch the money I made with my last business unless I really need capital to scale, and I'd need to get that capital from investors or the bank. After careful calculation, I'd still consider it a necessity to touch my own capital. I wasted like $200K of my own money on a rather stupid SaaS idea that I could have validated with much less money had I actually had less money and had been more creative about my approach and less lazy.
I could pretty surly live comfortably after a while by just letting the money that I saved during the last couple of years compound, but I'm too young and too ambitious for that. We are men, and we are born to run. When we stop running, we degenerate. So I'm going to pick up my running shoes again now and see where they will take me.

My plan:

I am going to learn how to use short-form videos for marketing, especially on TikTok. I'm aware that they could be banned in the US, but for me, it's less about learning how TikTok works specifically and more about the format. The way the TikTok algorithm and video content work is just too addictive and well-made not to be picked up by many others over time. In fact, we are already seeing this with YouTube Shorts, Instagram, as well as LinkedIn.

With that being said, I do see some serious opportunities coming up with TikTok specifically in the short term. People, especially younger generations, are increasingly relying on it as a search engine, and TikTok Shop will launch in Europe (my home turf) sometime later this year.

My bet is that I will be able to build up a TikTok agency with some productized services to help eCommerce companies build up a following on TikTok, drive traffic to their content (organic and paid), and boost their sales. The launch of TikTok Shop will be a catalyst on top of that. I should be able to scale that business to some $100K/month rather quickly (within a couple of months) through pure hustle, grind and sales.

Once I reach that point, I should have a Fastlane Business again, as I will build this up as a proper system. This system should also serve as a marketing machine for any future brand or service that I might conceive. Additionally, it will provide me with market insights that I would otherwise not be able to capture.

Next steps:

Using a B2C beauty and supplement brand that I invested in as a test case, I am going to learn how all of this works, define my product offerings, and build up my first successful example to use for sales. I am also going to start a TikTok channel myself and talk about a topic that I feel passionate about (supplements and longevity) to learn and understand the content creator side of things.

Once these are running, I already have but closed 3 clients to work with me, one of them I'll take on for free during the first 3 months (personal favor, I owe these guys), the two others are paid.

The goal is really to get my operations around my agency's services structured and streamlined. I built and scaled another service business up to ~$30K/month on the side in my 20s and I already know how important this is. Once you have a service that you can actually sell, sales are hardly the bottleneck, but rather your backend operations.

Apart from that, I am in the process of setting up a website for the agency that I'll optimize for organic Google. The channel is no longer as cool as it used to be, but it still works and in my niche the competition doesn't look too fierce yet. I'm positive that within a couple of weeks or months I should be able to get dozens of leads every month that way.

So, yeah, this is it. I've just left the service area, I'm on the acceleration lane, and I'll see you guys back on the Fastlane later! I'll be posting my updates in this thread.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Thanks for the motivating share. Risky going back to a platform after what happened to you, don't get burned by control again!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
575%
Apr 17, 2022
You may be tempted to feel a bit disappointed for not doing more - or not doing better.

But you should REALLY pat yourself on the back for having the wisdom to save up a good chunk of cash for this type of scenario.

There is only one thing worse than being a broke beginner: making a ton of money and then losing it all.

We cannot perceive speed. Only acceleration and deceleration.

And losing everything is the equivalent of getting into a high-speed collision. Not advisable.

Good luck and let's F*cking get after it! :fire::fire::fire:

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs yearly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read/response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.