The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Startup Bro's Importing JumpStart Group

AceCobra1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 6, 2015
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if there are any members of the above group. I attended their webminar about 2 days ago and was quite impressed with what they had to offer. I am contemplating on weather or not I should join the group. It is quite expensive @ $997....

Anyone with any feedback/ reviews would be appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Well, it seems like they think that their time is better spent on selling the information than doing it themselves. So what does that tell you?

1) All this importing stuff is bullshit and doesnt work. Only selling the information works.
2) They arent that good at importing, so selling information is more profitable for them.

I'll put my money on 2).

You can find the same or better information on this forum for free or for the cost of an INSIDERS subscription.

Edit: I just checked out their sales page. If you need "'Done-For-You'", "WE DO THE RESEARCH" and "HOLDING YOUR HAND", you will fail at business.
Edit2: They have another sales page where its only $497 if you really want the handholding :)

Last edited:

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
You can find the same or better information on this forum for free or for the cost of an INSIDERS subscription.
The information argument isn't a good one. You can find anything you need online. All the information is there if you are willing to spend the time to look. This is really about speed and learning curve vs money.

If $997 is a lot to you, then that course likely isn't for you because you will still need significantly more money to import the products and put all you learn to use. If you want to go faster and speed up your learning and have the money to spare then the course could be good for you. Theres a 30 day guarantee so if it sucks you can get your money back.

I haven't been through the course so I am not recommending it or suggesting you do it.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
I was just wondering if there are any members of the above group. I attended their webminar about 2 days ago and was quite impressed with what they had to offer. I am contemplating on weather or not I should join the group. It is quite expensive @ $997....
I watched it too, just to see what they are up to. I read most of their articles online - so I wanted to see what they offer in their webinar. Turns out - it was exactly the same information you can read through in about 30 mins. Only difference: someone actually reading it out for you and taking more than 2 hours to do it.

Edit: I just checked out their sales page. If you need "'Done-For-You'", "WE DO THE RESEARCH" and "HOLDING YOUR HAND", you will fail at business.
Totally agree with this. What you can find on their website should be enough to create your own experiences.

The information argument isn't a good one. You can find anything you need online. All the information is there if you are willing to spend the time to look. This is really about speed and learning curve vs money.
Valid point. How do you think will this show at a later stage? I mean, this questions turns up every time you look at a course that is priced that high. If I had to bet money on guy A (doing the course) and guy B (figuring out himself) in terms of who is gonna be more successful later on - I'd bet on guy B. While I agree with you, from my own experience, I learnt the most when doing. So I'd take the 1000 or 500 bucks and start looking for a product to import, buy a few pieces and put them on Amazon/Ebay (this is what I am doing right now - just waiting for my first batch to arrive).

Mark396

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 2, 2013
I was in the first jumpstart group.

The program is slow. Which isn't a bad thing if your pace is congruent with the weekly webinars.
Keep in mind that there is hundreds, if not a thousand other member attempting the same
techniques and strategies.

The course is nice as it layouts the steps it takes to successfully import and sell a product.

The real value is being able to ask a question and have it answered live.

I can't say if I'd buy the course again at $1,000. I'm curious as to what extra value the're providing
warrants a $500 increase in price.

Everything you learn is out there.

Buy Walter Hay's ebook on importing.

Last edited:

lukeymacca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 26, 2014
Pretty sure they are doing an additional webinar shortly, then they are going to release a recording. If anybody is interested ill upload the link when I get it.

Kyleschen

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 18, 2012
I'm Kyle from StartupBros--this thread popped up on my Google Alerts so I figured I'd come in and answer what questions I can.

Pretty sure they are doing an additional webinar shortly, then they are going to release a recording. If anybody is interested ill upload the link when I get it.

5 minutes or so :) https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2111610245735375106

The program is slow. Which isn't a bad thing if your pace is congruent with the weekly webinars.
Keep in mind that there is hundreds, if not a thousand other member attempting the same
It's cool to see you here! The program is WAY tighter now than it was for the initial launch. New experts, new knowledge, massive value with successful students who have been with us for multiple sessions, new tools, more robust library of video...

Right, getting the exact information exactly when you need it is the huge benefit. This reduces the risk of the thing dramatically and allows you to progress way faster.

I found this buying David Siteman Garland's webinar course and course-building course. The information was always out there but having it organized in an actionable way made the courses pay for themselves. (Palantir makes billions a year organizing and making available information more actionable...)

Theres a 30 day guarantee so if it sucks you can get your money back.

Should take all the mystery out of the thing lol

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
But......

Dont take this as me hating on your gig. If you guys were the experts that you claim that you are, wouldn't it be more profitable to be working the importing business instead of the importing coach business? This would kind of stick you in the "guru" category.

This is the very question that always pops up in my head when someone pitches these types of classes to me. because if I was pulling 1mil+ a year, I would not waste my time telling people that "you can do it to". So is your expertise in importing, or is your expertise in selling information ?

Now, if you've retired from the business.....and you are doing something similar to what MJ is doing, that's one thing. Deciding is more profitable to sell information and tell people to do what I say and not what I do is another.

Sorry, maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong direction.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I've never taken the course or anything.. but to me: It's called diversification of income. I make good money on Amazon, but guess what I'm working on? Other things... Amazon is good a platform to jump start, not to trust all your eggs in a basket type business. It's eventually a race to the bottom even for private label brands you create.

Startupbros are marketers / great content writers. They happen to make some money in importing/selling; mostly via Amazon channel. But at the end of the day; marketers are gonna do best at what their talents are; and that's marketing not importing.

So just because they offer the course doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing. I haven't taken the course, so can't comment on this particular case but the practice what you preach thing doesn't apply to everything.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
diversification of income
http://foreverjobless.com/entrepreneurial-diworsification/

So lets say I am an expert in importing stuff and selling it somewhere. I want to diversify my income, which is smart.

I have 2 options:

1) Scale vertically in my speciality area (importing) and build a big big big business out of it.
2) Buy a course on building courses and go into the most crowded "niche" on the interwebz ("How to make money")

Yeah, sure, sounds like a no-brainer. I would pick 2) too.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have my hands in multiple arenas. No issues with an importer teaching other people how to import. Doesn't mean they aren't simultaneously building an empire.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Didn't that Tropical MBA guy say he made 7% of his income through his coaching/mastermind forum?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm Kyle from StartupBros--this thread popped up on my Google Alerts so I figured I'd come in and answer what questions I can.

5 minutes or so :) https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2111610245735375106

It's cool to see you here! The program is WAY tighter now than it was for the initial launch. New experts, new knowledge, massive value with successful students who have been with us for multiple sessions, new tools, more robust library of video...

Right, getting the exact information exactly when you need it is the huge benefit. This reduces the risk of the thing dramatically and allows you to progress way faster.

I found this buying David Siteman Garland's webinar course and course-building course. The information was always out there but having it organized in an actionable way made the courses pay for themselves. (Palantir makes billions a year organizing and making available information more actionable...)

Should take all the mystery out of the thing lol

Kyle. Take off your coat and stay a while. This is one of the top entrepreneur forums on the internet. We'd be happy to have you regularly contribute, as long as it's not overtly spammy. However, we have a lot of people here that you could consider to be part of your tribe, and many more that might be interested in learning from you. Glad you found us.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
This is the very question that always pops up in my head when someone pitches these types of classes to me. because if I was pulling 1mil+ a year, I would not waste my time telling people that "you can do it to". So is your expertise in importing, or is your expertise in selling information ?
Everything doesn't have to be about money all the time. What if you enjoy working with other like minded people and enjoy teaching or helping?

"Then why charge money?"

Well, you don't enjoy wasting your time with people who won't actually take action, so you charge to hopefully keep out those who aren't kind enough to not waste your time.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Which is why I ended with "maybe im looking at it from the wrong direction". I am doing something similar in my town. A service that I used to get paid over $100 an hour to do, now i'm doing it for free because it makes me happy to pay it forward and is a passion of mine (music industry).

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
1) Scale vertically in my speciality area (importing) and build a big big big business out of it.
2) Buy a course on building courses and go into the most crowded "niche" on the interwebz ("How to make money")

Two things flawed here (it would be the case in most instances but not in this one)
1) They are using Amazon as the main channel. I put that in another category of it's own, I wouldn't even call it importing per say. You cannot build a "big big big" business out of it, not using Amazon.. only the unwise do that. You could however hit $M, but to me "big big big" is $B and that is all about distribution game outside of Amazon.

2) That particular Amazon import niche is actually not that crowded... yet.

At the end of the day; it's your opinion on something someone else is doing. I'd rather focus on myself... which is what I am going back to do.... right.... now.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
You have to be kidding me!!!!

There is so much information on this forum about importing and selling. Buy an INSIDERS and look at the big threads on there. Go look at ecom man's thread on it. Check out walter hay's thread on importing. hes been doing it for decades and knows it all inside out...more than any group could teach you.

Heck, you could import and sell everything by phone like jack does.

Seriously man, paying 1g for a group for importing is crazy if you looked at those threads.

fastattack03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 15, 2013

The course is nice as it layouts the steps it takes to successfully import and sell a product.

The real value is being able to ask a question and have it answered live.

I can't say if I'd buy the course again at $1,000. I'm curious as to what extra value the're providing
warrants a $500 increase in price.

Everything you learn is out there.

Buy Walter Hay's ebook on importing.

I was also in the first jumpstart group and I think the most valuable thing in this course is the Facebook group. The members are willing to help one another. They even post their success stories which is very motivating. They have this very positive and fun vibe. :)

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington

If $997 is a lot to you, then that course likely isn't for you because you will still need significantly more money to import the products and put all you learn to use. If you want to go faster and speed up your learning and have the money to spare then the course could be good for you. Theres a 30 day guarantee so if it sucks you can get your money back.

I haven't been through the course so I am not recommending it or suggesting you do it.
KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kyleschen

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 18, 2012
I was also in the first jumpstart group and I think the most valuable thing in this course is the Facebook group. The members are willing to help one another. They even post their success stories which is very motivating. They have this very positive and fun vibe. :)

Yeah, I'm constantly amazed at the density of goodness, generosity, and business savvy we've got in that group. It's really something special.

I'd rather focus on myself... which is what I am going back to do.... right.... now.

That's the stuff--it's so hard to just put your head down and work. Especially when people are trying so hard to tell you you're doing it wrong or that you should do something else.

Take off your coat and stay a while.

Thanks so much for the welcome! Love the quality of thinking going on even just in this thread, awesome stuff!!

Tehcasa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 29, 2013
As a successful importer myself, I would not pay $1000. Why? Because I learnt the whole process on importing from China for free. And guess who I learnt it from??? Startupbros.com

Yes, there website/blog.

No hate to the founders, I love those guys, but in my opinion I think $1000 is a bit too much :)

Kyleschen

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 18, 2012
Lol that's awesome! A bunch of people have started like that, just using Will's blog posts to build their businesses from.

no h8 all <3

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Lol that's awesome! A bunch of people have started like that, just using Will's blog posts to build their businesses from.

no h8 all <3
I not hugely familiar with webinars so what interested me when I clicked on the link to see the signup page was the associated giveaways (GoPro etc). Not in the sense that I wanted a giveaway, but I was interested if that is a commonly used tactic in the webinar format, whether you've tested it with/without or just been advised by others who have tested it?

My initial thought was it took away from the perception of value in that it suggested someone needed to be offered the chance at a prize to be compelled to watch. But then I thought about MJ's often cited example of people who will queue up outside a store for countless hours just to get something free. There are obviously going to be plenty who'll happily watch anything for a chance at a free gift and sell their attention rather cheaply.

I'd be interested in seeing if anyone running webinars has tested watchers sent via a page containing giveaways vs non giveaways for the same webinar. There's the nagging suspicion the former would attract freeloaders who would be much less likely to buy and/or would be more difficult customers to deal with, as Garland has mentioned about cheaper consumers.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I did the second course they did. Paid $495ish. Worth it. $1000, maybe not.

Super concentrated information, really good guest speakers they brought in. This forum is amazing, but you have to sift through a lot of junk to find the gold. The course tied all the floating nuggets of info I had gathered from the forum together into something comprehensive that I was immediately able to put into action.

Webinars got annoying with too many easy to answer questions coming from the crowd, but I always watched them after the fact and took notes, and then skipped what I didn't need. They didn't have many of the videos uploaded afterwards in a timely manner, which was a frustrating for me because I couldn't catch the webinars live.They are ok at answering emails, some of mine were replied to, some weren't.

I'm not on Facebook, so I can't say what all was going on in the facebook group.

Edmund Lowman, one of the regular presenters who does importing/sourcing for H&M, is awesome.

Other guests were the owner of a freight forwarding company, owner of Chinese company Star Prototype, owners of a large U.K. importing company. All provided a unique perspective, and provided information that isn't on their blog.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
The startupbros.com website gives tons of useful information. They give away enough information for someone to start a business. I can tell you that the information on their site is useful. I would never ever pay $1000 for a seminar, but that doesn't mean they're scamming people or that they aren't successful. It just means that I would rather find the information for free where possible. Some people would rather have the information spoon fed to them even if it costs $1000. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the guys at startupbros.com had requests for a seminar before they ever started doing seminars. Maybe I'm wrong, but I guess we'll see what Kyle says.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
The startupbros.com website gives tons of useful information. They give away enough information for someone to start a business. I can tell you that the information on their site is useful. I would never ever pay $1000 for a seminar, but that doesn't mean they're scamming people or that they aren't successful. It just means that I would rather find the information for free where possible. Some people would rather have the information spoon fed to them even if it costs $1000. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the guys at startupbros.com had requests for a seminar before they ever started doing seminars. Maybe I'm wrong, but I guess we'll see what Kyle says.
Things have quietened down on this thread, so I decided to jump in and liven it up with a couple of comments.

First let me say that you often get what you pay for, and if information published online is free, that might be exactly what it is worth.

Second, there may be enough free information available online for someone to start a business, but is there enough to start a successful business?

Finally, I would be much happier to see suppliers of information stick to the line of business they know, instead of offering fries with the burgers they have had years of experience making, but all they know about fries is where to buy them.

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
I watched the webinar. I had already read your book Walter a couple times prior and it covered a lot of the same things. I found myself going back to look things up in your book often . Very helpful.

Tonya Daily

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Sep 9, 2015
Well, it seems like they think that their time is better spent on selling the information than doing it themselves. So what does that tell you?

1) All this importing stuff is bullshit and doesnt work. Only selling the information works.
2) They arent that good at importing, so selling information is more profitable for them.

I'll put my money on 2).

Edit2: They have another sales page where its only $497 if you really want the handholding :)

Why would famous people who earn millions per movie for example keep acting or why did Oprah start an entire OWN network channel after she was already a billionaire? People do what they enjoy and it's very common for successful entrepreneurs to help upstarts do the same thing they did to get there. Most courses to help entrepreneurs or even Internet Marketers or MLMers are at least $2000, and many are much more, so it's not like these guys are ripping anyone off. They deserve to be paid for their time and compilation of documents, videos, great resources that are not available here or anywhere else, a group to connect with to get questions answered and just for the moral support and friendships, and for people brand new to any sort of business or importing it can be scary so having people who will talk through concerns is worth every penny. Besides they give people's money back if they want for any reason, so it's a personal choice if some people want some hand holding, however they did not say they do the research for people. How would they even have time to do that for everyone? He is explaining that he shows how and will use real examples to click around and show people. Why not? It's nice of them to help out.

Have you even watched one of their very thorough videos? He even says people can get started without signing up, but their training in the course goes into transitioning into the next phases of entrepreneurship and creating a brand once people outgrow Amazon. That alone would be invaluable information. ANYTHING can be learned online for free, but these guys have an organized fine tuned process and provide a great resource so people don't have to dig around forums with massive amounts of opinions and maybe even misinformation to figure it all out. People are more likely to get over procrastination or fears or whatever else if they have paid money and are on a schedule. Another great reason to sign up. The course is no longer $497 because they have added more value. Their FB community is helpful and friendly and a great asset to have each other to help with good reviews on Amazon. Why should anyone have access to a few thousand people who will help the success of ones business for free?

Even IF they were not good at importing or just don't enjoy it and decided to teach it instead of doing it, don't you think they would be charging more like $3000 for the course if their goal is to earn an income from it?

Not sure why I'm taking the time to respond to this but it bugs me how strangers who don't have all the facts can go online and trash decent people trying to help others. They are helping people be able to quit their crappy day jobs and have amazing lives with some freedoms many never experience. I read a lot and saw a lot of podcasts and youtubes before stumbling on StartupBros and to me they offer the most in depth explanation of how it all works and I feel indebted to them already. I challenge people to watch one of the recent 3 to 4 hour videos before forming an opinion. I feel so nervous about doing this venture all alone with people in my ear telling me it's crazy and can't possibly be done as easily as these groups/forums and podcasts are saying it is, so I welcome some hand holding for a fee from StartupBros.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.