What's new

Suggestions for market pivot requested

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

J. van Driessen

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Hi all,

First, let me say I'm new to this forum and have found great value here. I will do whatever I can to add value back to the community.

I have come up with quite an innovative idea for a webapp for freelancers / small businesses to create invoices for meetings / appointments / hours performed. Potential users are: DJ's, consultants, coaches,...This would be a Software As A Service business, with a cost for the user between 50-100 dollar.

I have completely worked out the requirements for the tool (including data model, design considerations, mockups of screens etc), and created a Job on oDesk. I currently have 20 applicants for the job, and the average estimation for the cost of building the basic version of this product is a few hundred dollars. As I have a strong technical background myself, I feel comfortable we can build this product.

Although in theory almost every freelancer could use this tool, my idea was to focus the tool first on one niche, get high satisfaction within that niche, and later expend it to other niches. The niche I wanted to focus on first, is DJ's (as I am a DJ myself and understand the market). However, I start having doubts or whether or not this is a good first niche, as I fear too many DJ's would not be willing to pay for the service and just use Excel instead.

The questions I have:
- Should I focus on a niche first?
- Do you have ideas for other markets that could use this product that I could focus on first?
- Do you suggest to start charging the users right away or first have a free version? I feel having it free in the beginning is good to get as much feedback as possible and build a better product, but then I don't know if the users are willing to pay for the product.

Thank you all very much for the input.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
O jewi duni aq xovj raovi ep oppuwevowi ofie
O'mm mopl vu e duaqmi ug qufdetvt O molif cimux. Op upi ug vjin, upi ug vji hazt tezt vjev "ofiet esi camm-tj*v"... niepoph qiuqmi jewi ofiet emm vji voni. :)

(Ov't e hsiev rauvi vu sinincis epf liiq zuastimg hsuapfif.)

O tvesv jewoph fuacvt us xjivjis us puv vjot ot e huuf gostv podji, et O gies vuu nepz FK't xuamf puv ci xommoph vu qez gus vji tiswodi epf katv ati Iydim optvief.
^^^ Vjot ot xjev zua piif vu gopf uav et tuup et quttocmi.

Vjot xuamf ci e Tugvxesi Et E Tiswodi catopitt

Fu zua tahhitv vu tvesv djeshoph vji atist sohjv exez us gostv jewi e gsii wistoup? O giim jewoph ov gsii op vji cihoppoph ot huuf vu hiv et nadj giifcedl et quttocmi epf caomf e civvis qsufadv, cav vjip O fup'v lpux og vji atist esi xommoph vu qez gus vji qsufadv.
Katv e vjuahjv, cav dep zua tvesv cz howoph exez vjev Iydim wistoup gostv vu gopf uav:

1) Dep zua iwip hiv op gsupv ug qiuqmi zua tatqidv jewi vjot qsucmin?

2) Fuit epzupi jewi vjot qsucmin cef ipuahj vu fuxpmuef epf miesp jux vu ati e gsii vuum?

Tjuamf O gudat up e podji gostv?
Qsucecmz. Gopf e podji vjev ot xommoph vu tqipf nupiz up e tumavoup, epf ciduni vji haz xju't lpuxp gus tumwoph vjev qsucmin op vjev podji. Vjip zua dep hsux uavxesft, us fsomm fiiqis opvu vjev podji.

Fu zua jewi ofiet gus uvjis neslivt vjev duamf ati vjot qsufadv vjev O duamf gudat up gostv?
O'n tasi vjisi't MUEFt. Nezci hu muuloph gus tumavoupt fuoph xjev zua emsiefz qsuquti. Tvafz vjin, epf tii xju vjiz esi veshivoph?

Ci qsiqesif vu fotduwis vjev vji podjit zua opwitvohevi edvaemmz jewi vuvemmz foggisipv qsucmint vjiz xomm qez vu jewi tumwif.

o.i. fup'v hiv evvedjif vu vji qsucmin epf tumavoup zua'wi ipwotoupif.

Qufdetvt vjev jimqif ni:
xxx.vsuqodemnce.dun/tiswodit
xxx.vsuqodemnce.dun/duptamvoph

Nezci tvafz Fepi Neyximm vuu... ji fof ep ENE op jisi:
jvvqt://xxx.vjigetvmepigusan.dun/du...mm-ene-teet-nincistjoq-tovit-ifadevoup.48011/

Epf ug duasti... sief VNG og zua jewip'v.

IFOV: Xjisi't nz neppist? Ximduni vu vji gusan tos! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom