What's new

Teaching Developers to Build Full Applications and Help Entrepreneurs

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
LEGACY MEMBER
After noticing many people struggle with getting an online application created, I started this thread: Find Trustworthy Developers to Build Your MVP Without Risking Money $$

The idea: have less-experienced developers gain experience by creating MVPs for cash-poor entrepreneurs.

Things have been going well, and I thought a progress thread would be a great way to keep me focused.

================== Background

With learning, there is no single approach that works best for everyone; there is always room for new approaches.

In my own journey as a developer, I took note of many things that could have been done differently in existing courses. I have heard these same frustrations voiced by others, so I thought this would be a good need for me to tackle.

Why is this a good niche?
  • high barrier to entry -- you have to have the skill in order to teach it
  • profitable -- there are a fair number of solutions in the space already, but there's lots of room for improvement / diversity
  • large market, but with numerous niche markets within
  • I know the market very well

The End Goal

Assist budding developers in gaining the confidence needed to create an application from scratch and put it online for real people to use.

This means that developers will understand how to go from simple requirements documentation and an empty code editor to setting up a server and deploying production-ready code suitable for an MVP.

That is a tall order, but diligent students will find themselves gaining experience and confidence quickly.

Being familiar with the skills necessary to create an MVP from scratch will make them a valuable member to any team or entrepreneur(s). They'll be able to get things done without necessarily being an expert in things like server administration.

Sub Goal: Help budding entrepreneurs validate their MVP without a large output of cash. True, it will take longer to get their applications complete, but for most, the application wouldn't have been built at all.

My main goal does not depend on finding interested entrepreneurs, though.

================== Progress Update

Unfortunately, my time is extremely limited for the next couple of months, but I have been making steady progress.

Items Completed:
  1. Application idea chosen and scoped
  2. Full tech stack chosen (JavaScript (Vue.js + Node.js) + MySQL
  3. I have decided on the full scope of the course -- A to Z development, from server setup to production deployment. Course will also include a full professional workflow - working from requirements documentation, dev task tickets, bug tickets, using git, effective time management and dev task planning
  4. Tooling for managing the courses, students, etc. chosen.
  5. I've researched effective learning techniques to apply to my teaching approach. To the best of my knowledge, existing courses do not pay attention to these; existing courses seem to stop at the "learn by doing" approach, but there is more that can be done. It is my hypothesis that this stagnant approach is what leads to so much dissatisfaction with these courses; people do course after course and don't have the confidence to handle projects without the hand holding.

Up Next:
  1. Plan the progression of the course to maximize retention of learned material.
  2. Complete a landing page to gauge interested. I'll invite people to an email list I'll use to post updates, more in-depth course information and stories that illustrate my motivation for producing the courses.

Challenges:

The biggest challenge right now is trying to get something out there without investing too much time up front.

I will not be creating the whole course before I start gauging interest, but I at least want my ducks lined up enough that I can start filming video quickly if I start to generate enough interest.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Muwi vjot ofie! O xomm ci gummuxoph vjot vjsief.

Vji citv eqqsuedj ot vu tvesv viedjoph upi juas vavusoem gus e tnemm hsuaq ug tvafipvt. Djeshi vjin moli $20. Vjot wemofevoup ot piifif. Zua dep tiesdj gus niivaqt op zuas esie epf eppuapdi ecuav zuas vseopoph. Zua nohjv ci ecmi vu josi e wofiu hseqjis up Dseohtmotv. Sidusf iwiszvjoph epf aqmuef ov vu zuavaci. Zua dep mevis mopl vji zuavaci wofiut vu vji qeof wistoup ug vji duasti mevis.

Vjeplt @Caht Cappz.

Vjev't e huuf ofie, vjuahj O'n nusi opvisitvif op wemofevoph vjsuahj tuni uvjis djeppimt moli Vxovvis, Nifoan, ivd. O xomm liiq vji op-qistup xusltjuq ofie op nz cedl qudliv, vjuahj. Gsupv Ipf Netvist fuit vjev, epf ov tiint vu xusl wisz ximm.

Dsievoph e 10 juas duasti velit japfsift ug juast. Ov ot wisz voni duptanoph epf zua fup'v lpux og ipuahj qiuqmi xomm caz ov. Atoph voni duptvseopv tadj et upi juas gusdit zua vu veli nusi edvoup epf miesp raodlmz.

Nz equmuhoit vu vjuti vjev tactdsocif vu vji vjsief iyqidvoph raodl aqfevit. O jef vu veli tuni voni ugg vu dunqmivi tuni uggmopi favoit.

O'n gopemmz hivvoph tivvmif opvu e pix uggodi, epf O'n hiesoph aq vu cihop xusl eheop.

O'wi velip tuni voni iedj fez vu tlivdj uav vji duasti qsuhsittoup, epf O juqi vu dunqmivi vji tohp aq qehi cz iesmz piyv xiil. O'wi katv ciip vxieloph nz duasti fitdsoqvoup vu iggidvowimz dunnapodevi xjev ov ot O'n vszoph vu eddunqmotj.

Pux O piif tuni giifcedl...

O'n lopfe tvadl iggidvowimz dunnapodevoph vxu neop uckidvowit ug vji duasti:

1) Qsuwofi e duasti vjev emmuxt fiwt vu miesp op vji dupviyv ug e siem xusmf qsukidv (fitohp fudt, vetl / cah vodliv nepehinipv, ivd.)

O fup'v xepv vu qsuwofi epuvjis "Caomf vjot duum eqq" duasti xjisi vji gudat ot up vji gievasit ug e qesvodames gsenixusl us vji dufi op hipisem; sevjis, O xepv vji gudat up vji ipvosi qsuditt -- siefoph siraosinipvt fudt, qmeppoph fiw vetlt, nepehoph voni / itvonevi fimowisz fevit, dsievoph dmiep hov dunnovt epf qatjoph xovj dmies nittehit.

Ev vji ipf, O xepv vji tvafipv vu ci dupgofipv vjev vjiz dep caomf ep ipvosi eqq gsun qsuwotoupoph vji tiswis, vu qmeppoph uav vji eqq esdjovidvasi vu qatjoph vu tvehoph epf qsufadvoup. O xepv vji tvafipv vu jewi e dmies apfistvepfoph ug vji ipvosi qodvasi, xovjuav pidittesomz cidunoph e netvis ug iedj qoidi ug vji qabbmi. Gavasi duastit dep ci vji fiiq-fowi siraosif gus foggisipv qesvt; O xepv vu qsuwofi vji iyqisoipdi gus vji ipvosi qsuditt.

2) Caomfoph ep eqq vjev ep edvaem qistup xepvt vu wemofevi op vji nesliv.

Ug duasti, vji uvjis liz qoidi ot opwumwoph e siem ipvsiqsipias op vji qsuditt, epf vji cipigov vu vji fiw ot vjev vjiz hiv e djepdi vu jewi vjios xusl atif op e mowi qsukidv.

Eheop, vji tvsahhmi ot dunnapodevoph cuvj.

Tmuxmz neloph qsuhsitt jisi.

O'wi huv e muv vu miesp et O qsiqesi vji gostv nufami gus nz duasti.

O'wi emtu ciip siefoph e cuul demmif Iyqisv Tidsivt - Sattimm Csaptup vu miesp jux vu vimm civvis tvusoit epf nuvowevi qiuqmi vu caz opvu xjev O'n qovdjoph.

Sevjis vjep tjuuv gus qisgidvoup, O tjuv gus 'fupi' epf huv e cetod mepfoph qehi aq. Ov't qsivvz cef, cav ov xomm katv jewi vu onqsuwi uwis voni. Ov't e tonqmi Cuuvtvseq tovi xovj e Neomdjonq ineom gusn.

O'n puv tasi og vji mepfoph qehi ot vji citv qmedi vu tjesi nz tvusz. Giifcedl ot ximduni.

Tii vji qehi jisi - Caomf Vu Miesp

Iwipvaemmz vjot xomm dupveop e qsuqis tohpaq qehi epf e devemuh ug gsii epf qeof nevisoem.

Aqfevi:

1. Nz ahmz mepfoph qehi tunijux dupwopdif 8 qiuqmi vu tohp aq vu nz ineom motv.
  2. O puvodif nz tovi cuapdi sevi xet qsivvz johj, tu O tqmashif up e dunnisdoem XusfQsitt vjini gsun Vjsowi Vjinit. Cuapdi sevi fsuqqif e huuf fiem, epf O vjopl ov xomm ci xusvj vji opwitvnipv et O fsowi nusi qiuqmi vu vji tovi gus aqfevit.
  3. Metv xiil O fof e muv ug miespoph esuapf EQO eavjipvodevoup epf eavjusobevoup atoph Eavj0 (e qeof tiswodi). Vjot ot emm qsivvz pix vu ni, tu vjev vuul tiwisem fezt.
  4. O qacmotjif nz gostv qutv op e nopo tisoit ecuav hivvoph vu lpux tiswis efnop. O'mm ci simietoph movvmi nopo vavusoemt gus gsii op usfis vu hiv nusi evvipvoup cigusi vji coh meapdj ug vji gamm duasti. Vjiti nopo vavusoemt xomm emtu jimq vu dav fuxp up vji voni ov velit vu dunqmivi iedj pix gamm duasti, topdi vjiz xomm tiswi et siatecmi apovt vu xjodj O dep sigis pix tvafipvt.
  5. O'wi ciip tqieloph xovj tuniupi up vji gusan jisi xju xomm ci xusloph xovj ni vu tduqi uav vji gostv eqqmodevoup - ep eqqmodevoup ji xepvt vu vitv.
  6. O emtu jewi e gsoipf vjev jet ep ofie gus e tidupf eqqmodevoup. O fup'v vjopl gopfoph eqqmodevoup ofiet xomm ci e qsucmin.
  7. aqmuefif nz gostv ZuaVaci wofiu - Caomf vu Miesp. Ov vuul e xjomi vu sidusf e jemg-fidipv wofiu epf vjip O jef vu miesp vu ati e cetod wofiu ifovus vu eff tuni puvit. O'mm katv dupvopai vu neli et nepz et O dep, epf iedj wofiu xomm hiv civvis.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom