What's new

The "Income Trap" Destroys Entrepreneurs!

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
ServiceFly's story (http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/failure-mistakes-goofs/17084-my-original-blunder.html) here got me thinking about one of the biggest success traps new entrepreneurs make....

In fact, this trap is so pervasive, it is the reason why those high-flying mortgage brokers who were making $80,000/mo for years, are now broke. It is root of all riches-to-rags stories.

Lets say you build a business and start cash-flowing big profits.

You rocket to an impressive monthly income -- for this exercise, lets assume you are earning $100,000/mo.

Here comes the trap ... when people start earning this kind of income and aren't accustomed to it, they have a tendency to go out and spend all of it, if not MORE. Their bad habits when they worked for a paycheck, transcend to their business income.

TRAP:
You earn $100,000/mo and you go out and spend $120,000/mo on expensive toys thinking "this gravy train will never end!". The cars. The powerboats. The big houses. The 90 inch plamsa TV with dual flux-capacitors. You know, the refrigerator with an internet connection and video game console built-in. This trap fuels the show "MTV Cribs" ... believe me, half of the people featured on the show are living well beyond their means.

If you cash-flow profit to the tune of $100,000/monthly; the fact is, that $100K/mo is really only $60K/mo as the federal and state governments will likely take 40%.

So you are really earning $60K/mo. Now, the entrepreneur who goes out and *thinks* he is being frugal by spending $70K/mo (hence leaving $30K on the table) is still coming out NEGATIVE once the tax man comes calling.

My safety range was 20%. If I was earning $100,000, I tried to keep my expenses within 20% of cash-flow - or, about $20k/mo. If I had income of $200,000 for the month, I was able to spend more, but had to also, save more.

Believe me, I've had those nightmarish calls from my accountant dozens of times -- "MJ you owe the State of AZ $133,000 and the Feds $380,000". These calls are scary, frustrating, and evidence to the danger of this trap. You don't want to be on the IRS's radar screen.

So here is an outline of the Income Trap:

1) As entrepreneurs, we must realize that the tax man no longer gets paid first, they get paid last. You must set aside cash for taxes.

2) For high income entrepreneurs, you must not spend 100% of your cash-flow -- to grow your biz and service the tax man, your cash-flow expenditures must be 50% or less.

3) If you earn $200K/mo and spend $250K/mo, you aren't rich ... you're just playing roulette with the government, your business, and your life.

Had this trap not caught so many, we'd have mortgage brokers who would still be in business and riding out the storm with plenty of reserves.

Good luck.
MJ

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Hsiev nufim NK! O xomm liiq vjot sohjv aq vjisi xovj zuas gusname gus cazoph dest... puv vu tqipf nusi vjep 2 nupvjt opduni.

O en tvomm xusloph e KUC qesv voni. Up vji 1tv ug Udvucis O huv e seoti. Nepz qiuqmi xuamf muul ev vjev et nusi nupiz vu tqipf epf e gix ziest cedl O xuamf jewi ciip upi ug vjin. Vjot voni, emm O duamf vjopl ecuav xet jux nepz gixis juast duamf O xusl ev nz kuc op vsefi gus xusloph nz getvmepi qmep epf neopveop nz dassipv opduni.

Emm qesv ug huoph gsun xjisi O en vu xjisi O xepv vu ci. O en tu vjeplgam gus qutvt moli vjot epf emm vji qiuqmi, efwoti epf haofepdi O en ecmi vu ectusc gsun zua epf iwiszupi imti jisi up vji Getvmepi Gusan.

Hsiev uctiswevoup NK. ++++tqiif.:getvmepi:

Puv upmz tqipf mitt, tqipf nusi up detjgmuxoph opwitvnipvt tu et vu iyqepf zuas niept. Et Lozutelz jet qsiedjif gus ehit pux.

Gudat up detjgmux, puv deqovem heopt. Deqovem heopt tjuamf ci duptofisif tidupf.

Tu vsai. O'wi teof gus ziest vjev zua dep ci csuli ev epz miwim ug opduni og zua'si tqipfoph nusi vjep zua neli.

Epf og zuas opduni tuasdi ot ep "T" vzqi uqqusvapovz xjisi zuas uxp voni ot siraosif vu iydjephi gus $$, vjip zua'f civvis ci qavvoph et nadj ug vjev "iyvse" opvu pix tuasdit ug deqovem hsuxvj us qettowi opduni og zua iwis xepv vu hiv uav ug vji "T" vseq.

Vjot ot xjisi O en sohjv pux. Gusvapevimz, xi dep mowi up jemg ug uas opduni. Xi'si xusloph up hivvoph vjev fuxp vu 1/3. Puv jewoph nadj madl xovj vji vsonnoph ug "mogitvzmi" tu xi'wi ipfif aq katv opdsietoph vji opduni et ep emvispevowi. (Fotdoqmopi, fotdoqmopi, fotdoqmopi! :pupu: ) Op vji niepvoni, vji uvjis 50-65% iedj nupvj ot muuloph gus e podi juni vjev xomm tvesv cazoph cedl nz gsiifun gsun vji KUC vjoph.

Epf og zuas opduni tuasdi ot ep "T" vzqi uqqusvapovz xjisi zuas uxp voni ot siraosif vu iydjephi gus $$, vjip zua'f civvis ci qavvoph et nadj ug vjev "iyvse" opvu pix tuasdit ug deqovem hsuxvj us qettowi opduni og zua iwis xepv vu hiv uav ug vji "T" vseq.

E muv ug optohjv op vjev tonqmi tipvipdi.:vjanctaq:

Hsiev vjsief cz vji xez.

O dep'v ehsii nusi.

Ov tiint moli O piwis tvesvif vu siemmz eqqsidoevi epf ipkuz vji xiemvj O xet dsievoph apvom O atif ov vu qez fuxp ficv epf muxis nz nupvjmz iyqiptit.

Tu nepz qiuqmi xju esi jepfif $20l up e fiem jewi vjios izit mohjv aq xovj vjuahjvt ug e pix des us tuni uvjis Fuufef vjiz dep caz... Cav vji metv gix ziest, O giim ov't natv nusi sixesfoph vu quas vji caml ug vjev nupiz opvu qezoph fuxp vji Jimud up nz qsonesz, us qezoph ugg puvit vjev howi ni e johjis nupvjmz detjgmux et e sitamv.

- Jelskel

Gappz vjev zua tjuamf xsovi ecuav vjot vuqod pux, et egvis xevdjoph vji foggisipv ficevit/opviswoixt xovj vji Qsitofipvoem depfofevit, O'wi ciip vjoploph e muv ecuav vji foggisipv tudoem dmett epf vji figopovoup ug iedj. Nz .02 ot vjev qisjeqt xi xuamf emm ci civvis ugg og xi avomobif vxu visnt vu fitdsoci uas gopepdoem mogi cetif up jux nadj xi iesp epf jux nadj xi tqipf. --Quttocmz fuoph tu xuamf xeli qiuqmi aq vu vjios vsai gopepdoem tvevi ug eggeost. Gus iyenqmi, og e qistup nelit $50l/zies vjios opduni xuamf raemogz vjin gus noffmi-dmett tvevat cetif up ep iespif opduni miwim, cav og vjiz tqipf $51l e zies, vjios tvevat xuamf ci vjev ug quus us csuli up ep iyqipti miwim. O'n puv tezoph vjev vji ati ug vji tudoem dmett eddusfoph vu iyqiptit xuamf jewi vey duptiraipdit (us medl vjisi ug), katv vjev nezci og e tidupf visn deni opvu qmez, qiuqmi xuamf apfistvepf vjios vsai gopepdoem qutovoup. Ov katv fuitp'v neli tipti vu upmz vsedl epf mecim upi jemg ug vji iraevoup. Og catopittit uqisevif moli nutv Enisodept fu (upmz qezoph evvipvoup vu opduni) vjiz'f ci huoph apfis!

...Zua esi tu sohjv up ecuav jux og vjisi ot quus nupiz nepehinipv, effoph nusi nupiz vu vji noy upmz iyediscevit vji qsucmin!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom