What's new

The lost soul from South Africa

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

decypha77

PARKED
Hello everyone, I found this forum by chance while sitting at my desk at work and decided, what the heck, let me sign up.

So I am an employee but a bit of background may help everyone see why I feel like I belong here.

I have always wanted to be in business for as long as I can remember and so at the age of 15 a friend of mine and I had written a shoddy business plan with a restaurant/lounge idea that we thought would be a fairly simple way to get started. We found the nearest VC and showed up without an appointment and actually got someone nice enough to listen to us. We walked out that office without even a scrap of the cash we would have liked to leave with but we did leave with a taste for something we loved.

Fast forward a few years and we had come up with a few more ideas but my dad started singing a tune about how business can wait and that education should come first. So I went by his word, dropped the business I was working on at the time and finished high school.

I got into varsity and started studying mechanical engineering, which was not for me as it was missing that business component I was addicted to.

I decided to relook some of our ideas and in research found that in the space between me dropping one of the ideas and picking it up again a few similar businesses had popped up. We went with it anyway and put together a much better business plan then our first, sent it to a VC and we got called in for an interview.

The analyst interviewing us really liked the idea but was put off by our lack of managerial experience as well as the lack of our own capital to put down so it was back to the drawing board again.

We slacked off business for a few months, with the itch to get back in it growing stronger and so we decided to find a business which needed no capital and no VCs. We could start this business, run it, grow it and get the experience they wanted and could then go back there with another one of our ideas that had been on the back-burner. The business in question was a marketing company (which we couldn't really define at first so that's all we said whenever someone asked).

In growing and learning we learnt that we gravitated more towards branding as a subset of marketing, and then that evolved to us understanding branding as more than marketing. The idea was that branding is about the customer, as is marketing, but the end goal of a good brand was to remove the risk of a bad experience for new customers (through the experiences of others) as well as to keep old customers coming back with the knowledge that the business will always be what they initially liked it for - it is the reason why each generation of humans doesn't need to experiment with lions or bears because someone a long time ago did, had dire consequences for it and then spread the word to everybody else. I love my business so I will cut it right here and get back to my story. I will discuss that in another forum sometime.

Now, my family kept pushing me to get my qualification and my dad told me that I could be in a better decision to get my business going when I start working.

Now I am working, the momentum in my business has slowed considerably and I slightly hate myself for listening to my dad's advice. I want to remedy this though and, having read some posts here, this may be one way to get my mind back on track.

I have some experience running a business now but it isn't extravagantly successful yet. And I am looking at reviving one of the business ideas we put on ice.

That's my story, so hello Fastlane Forum, I will be sharing with you my own personal journeys and immersing myself in all of yours.

Decypha

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom