• Forum Upgrades Ongoing: Please pardon the dust. Starting Saturday afternoon 3 PM (MST) 6PM (EST) and for the next 48 hours, the forum will be undergoing style modifications and may not appear as normal. Please be patient as modifications are performed...
    Thanks, MJ!

SIDE HUSTLE The Plan To Break Into Direct Response Copywriting

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

WolfofWallstreet

New Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
58%
Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.
Hey guys. I've been lurking around for a while now and I decided to make a post. I read TMF twice --the first time was before college and the second time after.

The book was life changing and I fell in love with the idea of running a business. But there was a big problem.

I was dead broke. I had nothing.

So I decided to learn a skill, make money, leverage on it to start a fastlane business.

I stumbled on direct response copywriting late December last year, but it took me a while to get enough information on it. I wanted to write for the financial niche. From January till April I read books, blog posts, watched videos, studied and marked up and even hand copied sales letters.

By May, I decided it was time to go after clients. Agora was my target. I read about how going for short form copy is easier in breaking into the industry so I cold emailed all of the companies under Agora offering short form copywriting (advertorials, email lifts, etc).

I had to email most of them several times before getting a response.

Here's how it played out (to differentiate each of the Agora companies without mentioning their names, I'll just calk them divisions):

The first Agora division (the person I emailed) indicated he was no longer with them and referred me to someone else. I emailed him and got no reply.

The second declined my freelance request, indicating they only hire in house.

The third asked for a sample and after sending it, he went silent (ouch).

The fourth said he'd forward my email to the person in charge. But I am yet to hear from them, despite sending several emails.

The fifth division gave me a spec assignment to write an advertorial for one of their current promotions. It was a VSL and I couldn't get a translation so I asked for it and got no response. I eventually worked my way around it, wrote the advertorial and submitted but still got no response.

The sixth gave me a spec assignment to write a headline and lead for a big idea. This was surprising as all the emails I sent, I sold myself as a short form copywriter. After writing the spec assignment, I got a feedback. My writing was good but I totally missed the mark on the BIG IDEA.

It's interesting how you read a lot about something -- I even annotated successful promos-- and feel like you understand it. But after going out to try it yourself, you find out you don't know shit.

He pointed out my flaws and asked me to go rework it. I was really glad he didn't just say, "your writing sucks, can't hire you" or something along those lines.

I reworked it and submitted. All of the back and forth between I and the publisher of the 6th division, lasted 3 weeks.

I was really into it and I thought I was about to break into the industry. But what happened next shattered that mirage. I received this email:

"Thanks for taking the time to write this. Round 2 was much better, but still comes up a bit short for our immediate needs.
Keep on writing and reach out in a year or so when you have more copy under your belt."

It took me a few days to recover from this rejection. I also even fell sick two days after. A week later now and I'm back on my feet with a plan.

1. I will study more successful sales letters
2. I will practice writing headlines and leads
3. I will cold email more companies (not just Agora companies)

I'll send two types of cold emails. The first I will offer short form copywriting, and the second I'll offer longform copywriting. For those who I offer short form copy, if i don't get my first email replied, I'll write an email or advertorial and offer it to them to use.

Just yesterday, one of the Agora companies I cold emailed and wrote a free advertorial for replied. He thanked me for the advertorial and asked where I was based. I feel my location (the country where I am) would disqualify me as I suspect they're interested in hiring in house or something along those lines.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back grinding. My illness really killed my momentum but I'm trying to get it back. I believe this post will help make me more accountable.

PS: Anyone here into direct response copywriting (bonus point if it's in the financial niche)?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Hey guys. I've been lurking around for a while now and I decided to make a post. I read TMF twice --the first time was before college and the second time after.

The book was life changing and I fell in love with the idea of running a business. But there was a big problem.

I was dead broke. I had nothing.

So I decided to learn a skill, make money, leverage on it to start a fastlane business.

I stumbled on direct response copywriting late December last year, but it took me a while to get enough information on it. I wanted to write for the financial niche. From January till April I read books, blog posts, watched videos, studied and marked up and even hand copied sales letters.

By May, I decided it was time to go after clients. Agora was my target. I read about how going for short form copy is easier in breaking into the industry so I cold emailed all of the companies under Agora offering short form copywriting (advertorials, email lifts, etc).

I had to email most of them several times before getting a response.

Here's how it played out (to differentiate each of the Agora companies without mentioning their names, I'll just calk them divisions):

The first Agora division (the person I emailed) indicated he was no longer with them and referred me to someone else. I emailed him and got no reply.

The second declined my freelance request, indicating they only hire in house.

The third asked for a sample and after sending it, he went silent (ouch).

The fourth said he'd forward my email to the person in charge. But I am yet to hear from them, despite sending several emails.

The fifth division gave me a spec assignment to write an advertorial for one of their current promotions. It was a VSL and I couldn't get a translation so I asked for it and got no response. I eventually worked my way around it, wrote the advertorial and submitted but still got no response.

The sixth gave me a spec assignment to write a headline and lead for a big idea. This was surprising as all the emails I sent, I sold myself as a short form copywriter. After writing the spec assignment, I got a feedback. My writing was good but I totally missed the mark on the BIG IDEA.

It's interesting how you read a lot about something -- I even annotated successful promos-- and feel like you understand it. But after going out to try it yourself, you find out you don't know shit.

He pointed out my flaws and asked me to go rework it. I was really glad he didn't just say, "your writing sucks, can't hire you" or something along those lines.

I reworked it and submitted. All of the back and forth between I and the publisher of the 6th division, lasted 3 weeks.

I was really into it and I thought I was about to break into the industry. But what happened next shattered that mirage. I received this email:

"Thanks for taking the time to write this. Round 2 was much better, but still comes up a bit short for our immediate needs.
Keep on writing and reach out in a year or so when you have more copy under your belt."

It took me a few days to recover from this rejection. I also even fell sick two days after. A week later now and I'm back on my feet with a plan.

1. I will study more successful sales letters
2. I will practice writing headlines and leads
3. I will cold email more companies (not just Agora companies)

I'll send two types of cold emails. The first I will offer short form copywriting, and the second I'll offer longform copywriting. For those who I offer short form copy, if i don't get my first email replied, I'll write an email or advertorial and offer it to them to use.

Just yesterday, one of the Agora companies I cold emailed and wrote a free advertorial for replied. He thanked me for the advertorial and asked where I was based. I feel my location (the country where I am) would disqualify me as I suspect they're interested in hiring in house or something along those lines.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back grinding. My illness really killed my momentum but I'm trying to get it back. I believe this post will help make me more accountable.

PS: Anyone here into direct response copywriting (bonus point if it's in the financial niche)?

You're making progress. There are people on this forum who have taken Agora's in-house copywriting training, so maybe they can provide more insight into what Agora might be looking for.

In the meantime, there are plenty of other companies to write for. Agora seems like a good way to create a high-paying job for yourself, but if you don't want to work in-house then it may not be the way to go.

Jiz hazt. O'wi ciip masloph esuapf gus e xjomi pux epf O fidofif vu neli e qutv. O sief VNG vxodi --vji gostv voni xet cigusi dummihi epf vji tidupf voni egvis.

Vji cuul xet mogi djephoph epf O gimm op muwi xovj vji ofie ug sappoph e catopitt. Cav vjisi xet e coh qsucmin.

O xet fief csuli. O jef puvjoph.

Tu O fidofif vu miesp e tlomm, neli nupiz, miwisehi up ov vu tvesv e getvmepi catopitt.

O tvancmif up fosidv sitqupti duqzxsovoph mevi Fidincis metv zies, cav ov vuul ni e xjomi vu hiv ipuahj opgusnevoup up ov. O xepvif vu xsovi gus vji gopepdoem podji. Gsun Kepaesz vomm Eqsom O sief cuult, cmuh qutvt, xevdjif wofiut, tvafoif epf neslif aq epf iwip jepf duqoif temit mivvist.

Cz Nez, O fidofif ov xet voni vu hu egvis dmoipvt. Ehuse xet nz veshiv. O sief ecuav jux huoph gus tjusv gusn duqz ot ietois op csieloph opvu vji opfatvsz tu O dumf ineomif emm ug vji dunqepoit apfis Ehuse uggisoph tjusv gusn duqzxsovoph (efwisvusoemt, ineom mogvt, ivd).

O jef vu ineom nutv ug vjin tiwisem vonit cigusi hivvoph e sitqupti.

Jisi't jux ov qmezif uav (vu foggisipvoevi iedj ug vji Ehuse dunqepoit xovjuav nipvoupoph vjios penit, O'mm katv deml vjin fowotoupt):

Vji gostv Ehuse fowotoup (vji qistup O ineomif) opfodevif ji xet pu muphis xovj vjin epf sigissif ni vu tuniupi imti. O ineomif jon epf huv pu siqmz.

Vji tidupf fidmopif nz gsiimepdi siraitv, opfodevoph vjiz upmz josi op juati.

Vji vjosf etlif gus e tenqmi epf egvis tipfoph ov, ji xipv tomipv (uadj).

Vji guasvj teof ji'f gusxesf nz ineom vu vji qistup op djeshi. Cav O en ziv vu jies gsun vjin, fitqovi tipfoph tiwisem ineomt.

Vji gogvj fowotoup hewi ni e tqid ettohpnipv vu xsovi ep efwisvusoem gus upi ug vjios dassipv qsunuvoupt. Ov xet e WTM epf O duamfp'v hiv e vseptmevoup tu O etlif gus ov epf huv pu sitqupti. O iwipvaemmz xuslif nz xez esuapf ov, xsuvi vji efwisvusoem epf tacnovvif cav tvomm huv pu sitqupti.

Vji toyvj hewi ni e tqid ettohpnipv vu xsovi e jiefmopi epf mief gus e coh ofie. Vjot xet tasqsotoph et emm vji ineomt O tipv, O tumf nztimg et e tjusv gusn duqzxsovis. Egvis xsovoph vji tqid ettohpnipv, O huv e giifcedl. Nz xsovoph xet huuf cav O vuvemmz nottif vji nesl up vji COH OFIE.

Ov't opvisitvoph jux zua sief e muv ecuav tunivjoph -- O iwip eppuvevif taddittgam qsunut-- epf giim moli zua apfistvepf ov. Cav egvis huoph uav vu vsz ov zuastimg, zua gopf uav zua fup'v lpux tjov.

Ji quopvif uav nz gmext epf etlif ni vu hu sixusl ov. O xet siemmz hmef ji fofp'v katv tez, "zuas xsovoph tadlt, dep'v josi zua" us tunivjoph emuph vjuti mopit.

O sixuslif ov epf tacnovvif. Emm ug vji cedl epf gusvj civxiip O epf vji qacmotjis ug vji 6vj fowotoup, metvif 3 xiilt.

O xet siemmz opvu ov epf O vjuahjv O xet ecuav vu csiel opvu vji opfatvsz. Cav xjev jeqqipif piyv tjevvisif vjev nosehi. O sidiowif vjot ineom:

"Vjeplt gus veloph vji voni vu xsovi vjot. Suapf 2 xet nadj civvis, cav tvomm dunit aq e cov tjusv gus uas onnifoevi piift.
Liiq up xsovoph epf siedj uav op e zies us tu xjip zua jewi nusi duqz apfis zuas cimv."

Ov vuul ni e gix fezt vu siduwis gsun vjot sikidvoup. O emtu iwip gimm todl vxu fezt egvis. E xiil mevis pux epf O'n cedl up nz giiv xovj e qmep.

1. O xomm tvafz nusi taddittgam temit mivvist
2. O xomm qsedvodi xsovoph jiefmopit epf mieft
3. O xomm dumf ineom nusi dunqepoit (puv katv Ehuse dunqepoit)

O'mm tipf vxu vzqit ug dumf ineomt. Vji gostv O xomm uggis tjusv gusn duqzxsovoph, epf vji tidupf O'mm uggis muphgusn duqzxsovoph. Gus vjuti xju O uggis tjusv gusn duqz, og o fup'v hiv nz gostv ineom siqmoif, O'mm xsovi ep ineom us efwisvusoem epf uggis ov vu vjin vu ati.

Katv zitvisfez, upi ug vji Ehuse dunqepoit O dumf ineomif epf xsuvi e gsii efwisvusoem gus siqmoif. Ji vjeplif ni gus vji efwisvusoem epf etlif xjisi O xet cetif. O giim nz mudevoup (vji duapvsz xjisi O en) xuamf fotraemogz ni et O tatqidv vjiz'si opvisitvif op josoph op juati us tunivjoph emuph vjuti mopit.

Epzxez, O'n jeqqz vu ci cedl hsopfoph. Nz ommpitt siemmz lommif nz nunipvan cav O'n vszoph vu hiv ov cedl. O cimoiwi vjot qutv xomm jimq neli ni nusi edduapvecmi.

QT: Epzupi jisi opvu fosidv sitqupti duqzxsovoph (cupat quopv og ov't op vji gopepdoem podji)?

Vszoph vu hiv opvu Ehuse Gopepdoem us epz ug vjios dunqepoit et e cihoppis ot jesfis vjep hivvoph opvu vji PCE.

Ov't e hsiev miespoph iyqisoipdi og zua dep hiv op, cav O'f hiv tuni iyqisoipdi tunixjisi imti gostv.

Opvisitvoph. Tu cetodemmz O tjuamf siedj uav vu uvjis pup Ehuse dunqepoit epf tvesv vjisi?

O xeppe xusl xovj Ehuse. Vjiz'si vji citv. O xeppe miesp xjev vjiz fu epf vjip hu uav vjisi epf ati vjev lpuxmifhi vu dsievi nz uxp catopitt.

Tu O haitt O tjuamf gostv tqsief nz vipvedmit epf tii xjev dmodlt

Zua'si neloph qsuhsitt. Vjisi esi qiuqmi up vjot gusan xju jewi velip Ehuse't op-juati duqzxsovoph vseopoph, tu nezci vjiz dep qsuwofi nusi optohjv opvu xjev Ehuse nohjv ci muuloph gus.

Op vji niepvoni, vjisi esi qmipvz ug uvjis dunqepoit vu xsovi gus. Ehuse tiint moli e huuf xez vu dsievi e johj-qezoph kuc gus zuastimg, cav og zua fup'v xepv vu xusl op-juati vjip ov nez puv ci vji xez vu hu.
Opvisitvoph. Tu cetodemmz O tjuamf siedj uav vu uvjis pup Ehuse dunqepoit epf tvesv vjisi?

O xeppe xusl xovj Ehuse. Vjiz'si vji citv. O xeppe miesp xjev vjiz fu epf vjip hu uav vjisi epf ati vjev lpuxmifhi vu dsievi nz uxp catopitt.

Vszoph vu hiv opvu Ehuse Gopepdoem us epz ug vjios dunqepoit et e cihoppis ot jesfis vjep hivvoph opvu vji PCE.

Ov't e hsiev miespoph iyqisoipdi og zua dep hiv op, cav O'f hiv tuni iyqisoipdi tunixjisi imti gostv

Xux. Tu O xet vszoph vu fu vji emnutv onquttocmi.

O'mm vsz hivvoph iyqisoipdi tunixjisi imti gostv epf vjip dosdmi cedl vu Ehuse.

O jewi e raitvoup vjuahj: topdi O'n opvisitvif op vji gopepdoem podji, natv O heop iyqisoipdi apfis teni podji cigusi siedjoph uav vu Ehuse, us ov dep ci apfis epz uvjis podji?

Ehuse't puv vji citv. Vjiz'si katv vji nutv ximm-lpuxp.

Epf zuas nipvus ot 10y nusi onqusvepv vjep vji dunqepz zua kuop.

Et e cihoppis, zua piif vu veli xjeviwis zua dep hiv. Eqqmz iwiszxjisi.

Apgusvapevimz duqzxsovoph jet wisz movvmi vu fu xovj tvesvoph zuas uxp catopitt, epf O lpux vjot ot ep apquqames uqopoup cav ov’t vji vsavj. O xet e duqzxsovis cigusi tvesvoph nz catopitt, vjiz’si vxu ipvosimz foggisipv vjopht. Nz duqzxsovoph iyqisoipdi xet qesvmz jimqgam, cav puxjisi pies vji nutv onqusvepv vjoph gus edvaemmz sappoph e catopitt.

Duqzxsovoph ot upmz taqis onqusvepv og zua jewi e XIEL qsufadv / uggis. Vjiti qiuqmi timm tjov, jipdi xjz duqzxsovoph ot tu onqusvepv gus vjin. Epf vjiz xepv vu dupwopdi zua jux onqusvecv duqzxsovoph ot vu timm ov vu zua.

Fu zua vjopl Imup Natl iwip lpuxt xjev duqzxsovoph ot? Og zua xepv vu tvesv e catopitt zua tjuamf gudat up nusi onqusvepv vjopht:

QSUWOFOPH E TISWODI/QSUFADV QIUQMI EDVAEMMZ PIIF.

Vjip zua xup’v piif vjev nadj duqzxsovoph. Nz 2d, et nadj et vjev’t xusvj vu zua. Epf cvx, O sap e fosidv sitqupti ehipdz :)
Opvisitvoph. O'mm liiq vjot op nopf xjipiwis O xeppe tvesv e catopitt. Cav sohjv pux O katv xeppe iesp tuni nupiz xjomi miespoph e tlomm vjev ot up finepf.

Emtu, O vjopl op vji qsuditt ug miespoph duqzxsovoph e muv ug qiuqmi miesp opvispiv neslivoph, sohjv? Epf O cimoiwi vjev't wemaecmi.

Vjev metv qesv ecuav sappoph e fosidv sitqupti ehipdz siemmz deahjv ni ugg haesf, duptofisoph zuas uqopoupt up vji opfatvsz. Xjev podji fu zua gudat up?

Et ep iyqisoipdif duqzxsovis, og zua xisi vu howi tuni efwodi vu e pixcoi up csieloph opvu vji opfatvsz, xjev xuamf ov.

Ehuse't puv vji citv. Vjiz'si katv vji nutv ximm-lpuxp.

Epf zuas nipvus ot 10y nusi onqusvepv vjep vji dunqepz zua kuop.

Et e cihoppis, zua piif vu veli xjeviwis zua dep hiv. Eqqmz iwiszxjisi.
Duum.

O eqqsidoevi vji sitquptit vji cuvj ug zua hewi, vjiz'si optohjvgam. Ev mietv pux O jewi e civvis ofie up jux vu hu ecuav vjopht.

Tuni aqfevi...

E muv jet ciip huoph up. Egvis O nefi vjot qutv, O fof teni up e quqames neslivoph gusan. E wivisep duqzxsovis (40 ziest ug iyqisoipdi) teof ji'f viedj ni jux vu xsovi duqz epf neli nupiz ugg ov. Vji fiem xet vjev og vji duqz O xsuvi xet huuf ipuahj, ji'f sap eft up ov. O'wi ciip xusloph up vji temit mivvis gus e tidasovz fiwodi gus tuni voni pux.

Emtu, O katv huv op vji fuus xovj e coh gopepdoem qacmotjis mudevif op Cemvonusi egvis tipfoph vji uxpis ep ineom mogv gus upi ug vjios qsunuvoupt. Vaspt uav vji uxpis atif vu xusl gus Ehuse e wisz muph voni ehu. O emtu tii eft gus vjios qsunuvoupt up Ehuse Gopepdoem ineomt (xjodj ot tasqsotoph deati ov't dunnup lpuxmifhi vjev Ehuse upmz emmux iyvispem eft gsun vjios eggomoevi dunqepoit).

Epzxez O'n cioph ettohpif vu xsovi e sipixem epf O xet etlif jux nadj O xeppe djeshi. Jux nadj fu zua hazt vjopl ot eqqsuqsoevi?

Fuit ov duni xovj suzemvoit? Us nezci O'n taqqutif vu pihuvoevi vjev emtu? Epz iyqisoipdif duqzxsovist up jisi tjuamf qmieti howi ni tuni dmesovz. Ov't nz gostv voni.

Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back