The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

The Problem/Purpose Paradigm: Fire Unlimited Motivation and Laser Focus...

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The Problem/Purpose Paradigm
How to Tap Into Unlimited Motivation and Give Yourself a Laser-Like Focus. Every. Single. Day.

Imagine you're chained to a railroad track.

In the distance, you hear the ominous clatter of an approaching train. Your heart pounds like a jackhammer, and every beat is a desperate reminder that time is slipping away.

The lock mechanism trapping you on the tracks can only be solved if you decipher the Latin passcode etched on its surface.

Death is around the corner if you don't take action and translate the code from Latin to English. As a bonus, a ten-million-dollar suitcase sits next to the tracks if you solve the code and set yourself free.

Unfortunately, you don't know Latin, and your smartphone isn't in your pocket. However, behind you is a stack of books piled 6 feet high and 3 feet wide.

Now let me ask you something...

What would you do as the moments count down to your tragic, grisly ending?

Would you...

• ...take a nap?
  • ...examine the books and decide to read $100M Offers?
  • ...examine the books and decide to read The History of 19th Century Trains?
  • ...comb your hair?
  • ...whistle Dixie?
  • ...pick up the large rock next to you and do bicep curls?

Or would you...

• ... scream at the top of your lungs for help?
  • ... pull vigorously at the chain and its lock, looking for a weakness?
  • ... examine the books and read the one titled Latin to English Made Simple?

You see, when you're faced with a problem as clear as the sound of the train's whistle and the death it represents, everything becomes clear.

Your problem. Your purpose. Your motivation.

Suddenly, none of these things are ambiguous, and your next actions become crystal clear.

:checkbox:
The waffling ends.
:checkbox:The action-faking ends.
:checkbox:The tepid motivation ends.
:checkbox:The purposeless reading of books with no application of them ends.

Problem: Set myself free and avoid a tragic death.
Purpose: To live, and live well.
Motivation: Permanently on fire until you die, regret-free.

This powerful combination of PROBLEM and PURPOSE is the key to drawing unlimited motivation and focus and creating your best life.

Become Laser-Focused With A Problem
Now, let's switch tracks—pun intended—to the Fastlane. Motivation is like a patient on Prozac, up, down, and everything in between. However, the same principles that drive you to survive on the railroad tracks can be translated into a Fastlane with remarkable usefulness.

Ironically, the most common problem I read at The Fastlane Forum is that the user has no problem.

Where do I start? What do I do? What's next?

With no problem to solve, the user wanders aimlessly, reading book after book, watching podcast after podcast, and doing nothing with their precious time.

Find a problem, put yourself on the tracks, and make everything clear.

Every successful business starts with a problem. It's the itch that needs scratching, the fly in the ointment, the burr under the saddle.

I cofounded GoalSumo.com.com because I was tired of using a paper-and-pen "to do" list for my 1/5/10 strategy. I founded the Fastlane Forum because I was tired of visiting other business forums littered with scammers and promoters. I write Fastlane books because I'm tired of people being misled down a path of financial mediocrity where financial freedom awaits them in a wheelchair and diaper.

Consider the story of Airbnb. The founders, Brian Chesky and Joe Gebbia, faced the problem of being unable to pay their rent. Train anyone? Then, during popular conferences, they saw another problem/train in travelers' difficulty finding affordable lodging. Their solution? They rented out air mattresses in their apartment. What started as a minor fix for a personal problem spiraled into a global business, solving a universal issue for millions.

Identifying a problem isn't just about finding something broken; it's about spotting an opportunity to improve something. This could be anything from a gap in the market to a pain point that no one has adequately fixed. If you read Unscripted or The Great Rat Race Escape , value skew—doing one thing better than the competition—is the key to starting a business with gravitas. Skew multiple attributes—ingredients, price, convenience, packaging, delivery, shipping—and things really magnetize.

To learn more about VALUE SKEW visit this forum thread.

The Purpose

While a problem refines focus with that of a laser, a purpose keeps it in motion. The purpose is the compass that guides your efforts, the North Star that keeps you on course. It's the reason you jump out of bed in the morning (or crawl out, if you're not a morning person) and the driving force behind every decision you make.

When you're chained to the railroad tracks, the purpose is clear: To live. To avoid tragedy.

Yet, how is life any different?

Millions of people poison themselves daily with the food they shove into their mouths, eroding their health and vitality. They don't see the train.

According to the latest research, the average teenager spends nearly 5 hours on social media daily. They don't see the train.

A clear purpose can vary widely—from helping others and creating positive change to achieving financial freedom or leaving a lasting legacy. The important thing is that it resonates deeply with you and aligns with your core values.

For me, I found my purpose early. After watching my divorced mother struggle every month to pay the bills, I knew I wanted financial freedom. When I saw that Lamborghini as a teenager, I knew I could do it, not just the Slowlane way, but fast.

This was my purpose— a purpose to live, and live well.

Armed with this type of purpose, you'll do anything for it.

Cold call.
Ring doorbells.
Learn code.
Speak in front of an audience.
Read a book on how to translate Latin to English.

Suddenly, "I don't like that," or "I'm not good at that," becomes completely irrelevant.

Unlike the ill-advised "passion," purpose gets things done and has no prerequisites. If you "followed your passion," you'll never read the book From Latin to English because it's boring, bland, and not blanketed by your comfort 
zone.

A great blending of PURPOSE and PROBLEM comes from Tom's Shoes. Founder Blake Mycoskie identified a problem: children in developing countries lacked shoes. His purpose? For every pair of shoes sold, a new pair would be given to a needy child. This "one for one" model addressed a significant problem and established a purpose that inspired both customers and employees, leading to a thriving business.

The Synergy of Problem and Purpose

This death train metaphor can be applied to real life with astonishing effectiveness. Death's train is indeed approaching, and one day, it will arrive.

Question is, have you lasered your focus and found your problem? Have you given your life clear, actionable direction?

Have you defined a purpose that will make you crawl through a sewer pipe for freedom, like Andy Dufresne from Shawshank fame?

When a compelling problem meets a powerful purpose, motivation isn't, just an occasional visitor; it takes up permanent residence. The problem keeps you grounded in reality, ensuring your efforts are practical and necessary. The purpose, however, fuels the right passion and keeps the fire burning, even when the going gets tough.

Purpose Problem.png

Harnessing the Problem / Purpose Paradigm... NOW.

1. Identify the Problem:
Look for pain points in your industry or personal life. What frustrates you? What could be improved? What do you hate? For me, "I'm tired of [blank]" always spotlights problems! Keep your eyes and ears open—problems often disguise themselves as everyday annoyances.

2. Define Your Purpose:
Reflect on what truly matters to you. Is it making a positive impact, achieving financial independence, or creating something beautiful? Your kids? Your purpose should be a guiding light, not a fleeting fancy.

3. Marry the Two:
Once you have a problem and a purpose, let them focus your actions. Use the problem to create a roadmap of goals and milestones. Join GoalSumo.com and map out a plan or download a 1/5/10 Planner. Let your purpose infuse those goals with meaning and significance.

4. Stay Adaptable:
Life is unpredictable, much like those surprise plot twists in your favorite TV series. Be ready to pivot and adapt your problem-solving approach while staying true to your core purpose.

5. Adjust Expectations
Life is full of problems. Expect them. Solve one at a time and you'll move forward one at a time. Oh, and what is the best book you should read next? It's the book that will solve the front-facing problem that is stopping your progress. From Latin to English, remember?

6. Celebrate Progress:
Recognize and celebrate your achievements, no matter how small. Every step forward is a testament to your problem-solving prowess and purpose-driven intensity.

Fastlane success isn't complicated.

1. Find a problem to clearly define your next actions.
  2. Be driven by an overarching purpose that forces you out of your comfort zone.
  3. Repeat.
  4. Progress.
  5. Live well.

Or don't.

Either way, a train is coming.

Best wishes,
MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 28, 2022
How to Tap Into Unlimited Motivation and Give Yourself a Laser-Like Focus. Every. Single. Day.

In the distance, you hear the ominous clatter of an approaching train. Your heart pounds like a jackhammer, and every beat is a desperate reminder that time is slipping away.

The lock mechanism trapping you on the tracks can only be solved if you decipher the Latin passcode etched on its surface.

Death is around the corner if you don't take action and translate the code from Latin to English. As a bonus, a ten-million-dollar suitcase sits next to the tracks if you solve the code and set yourself free.

Unfortunately, you don't know Latin, and your smartphone isn't in your pocket. However, behind you is a stack of books piled 6 feet high and 3 feet wide.

Would you...

• ...take a nap?
  • ...comb your hair?
  • ...whistle Dixie?

Or would you...

You see, when you're faced with a problem as clear as the sound of the train's whistle and the death it represents, everything becomes clear.

Suddenly, none of these things are ambiguous, and your next actions become crystal clear.

The waffling ends.

This powerful combination of PROBLEM and PURPOSE is the key to drawing unlimited motivation and focus and creating your best life.

Now, let's switch tracks—pun intended—to the Fastlane. Motivation is like a patient on Prozac, up, down, and everything in between. However, the same principles that drive you to survive on the railroad tracks can be translated into a Fastlane with remarkable usefulness.

Ironically, the most common problem I read at The Fastlane Forum is that the user has no problem.

With no problem to solve, the user wanders aimlessly, reading book after book, watching podcast after podcast, and doing nothing with their precious time.

Every successful business starts with a problem. It's the itch that needs scratching, the fly in the ointment, the burr under the saddle.

I cofounded GoalSumo.com.com because I was tired of using a paper-and-pen "to do" list for my 1/5/10 strategy. I founded the Fastlane Forum because I was tired of visiting other business forums littered with scammers and promoters. I write Fastlane books because I'm tired of people being misled down a path of financial mediocrity where financial freedom awaits them in a wheelchair and diaper.

Consider the story of Airbnb. The founders, Brian Chesky and Joe Gebbia, faced the problem of being unable to pay their rent. Train anyone? Then, during popular conferences, they saw another problem/train in travelers' difficulty finding affordable lodging. Their solution? They rented out air mattresses in their apartment. What started as a minor fix for a personal problem spiraled into a global business, solving a universal issue for millions.

Identifying a problem isn't just about finding something broken; it's about spotting an opportunity to improve something. This could be anything from a gap in the market to a pain point that no one has adequately fixed. If you read Unscripted or The Great Rat Race Escape , value skew—doing one thing better than the competition—is the key to starting a business with gravitas. Skew multiple attributes—ingredients, price, convenience, packaging, delivery, shipping—and things really magnetize.

The Purpose

While a problem refines focus with that of a laser, a purpose keeps it in motion. The purpose is the compass that guides your efforts, the North Star that keeps you on course. It's the reason you jump out of bed in the morning (or crawl out, if you're not a morning person) and the driving force behind every decision you make.

When you're chained to the railroad tracks, the purpose is clear: To live. To avoid tragedy.

Millions of people poison themselves daily with the food they shove into their mouths, eroding their health and vitality. They don't see the train.

According to the latest research, the average teenager spends nearly 5 hours on social media daily. They don't see the train.

A clear purpose can vary widely—from helping others and creating positive change to achieving financial freedom or leaving a lasting legacy. The important thing is that it resonates deeply with you and aligns with your core values.

For me, I found my purpose early. After watching my divorced mother struggle every month to pay the bills, I knew I wanted financial freedom. When I saw that Lamborghini as a teenager, I knew I could do it, not just the Slowlane way, but fast.

Cold call.
Ring doorbells.
Learn code.

Suddenly, "I don't like that," or "I'm not good at that," becomes completely irrelevant.

Unlike the ill-advised "passion," purpose gets things done and has no prerequisites. If you "followed your passion," you'll never read the book From Latin to English because it's boring, bland, and not blanketed by your comfort 
zone.

A great blending of PURPOSE and PROBLEM comes from Tom's Shoes. Founder Blake Mycoskie identified a problem: children in developing countries lacked shoes. His purpose? For every pair of shoes sold, a new pair would be given to a needy child. This "one for one" model addressed a significant problem and established a purpose that inspired both customers and employees, leading to a thriving business.

This death train metaphor can be applied to real life with astonishing effectiveness. Death's train is indeed approaching, and one day, it will arrive.

Question is, have you lasered your focus and found your problem? Have you given your life clear, actionable direction?

Have you defined a purpose that will make you crawl through a sewer pipe for freedom, like Andy Dufresne from Shawshank fame?

When a compelling problem meets a powerful purpose, motivation isn't, just an occasional visitor; it takes up permanent residence. The problem keeps you grounded in reality, ensuring your efforts are practical and necessary. The purpose, however, fuels the right passion and keeps the fire burning, even when the going gets tough.

View attachment 57013

1. Identify the Problem:
Look for pain points in your industry or personal life. What frustrates you? What could be improved? What do you hate? For me, "I'm tired of [blank]" always spotlights problems! Keep your eyes and ears open—problems often disguise themselves as everyday annoyances.

2. Define Your Purpose:
Reflect on what truly matters to you. Is it making a positive impact, achieving financial independence, or creating something beautiful? Your kids? Your purpose should be a guiding light, not a fleeting fancy.

3. Marry the Two:
Once you have a problem and a purpose, let them focus your actions. Use the problem to create a roadmap of goals and milestones. Join GoalSumo.com and map out a plan or download a 1/5/10 Planner. Let your purpose infuse those goals with meaning and significance.

4. Stay Adaptable:
Life is unpredictable, much like those surprise plot twists in your favorite TV series. Be ready to pivot and adapt your problem-solving approach while staying true to your core purpose.

5. Adjust Expectations
Life is full of problems. Expect them. Solve one at a time and you'll move forward one at a time. Oh, and what is the best book you should read next? It's the book that will solve the front-facing problem that is stopping your progress. From Latin to English, remember?

6. Celebrate Progress:
Recognize and celebrate your achievements, no matter how small. Every step forward is a testament to your problem-solving prowess and purpose-driven intensity.

2. Be driven by an overarching purpose that forces you out of your comfort zone.
  3. Repeat.
  4. Progress.
  5. Live well.

Or don't.

Best wishes,
MJ DeMarco
Another great post, Mj.

AnoxRiggz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 31, 2023

Would you...

• ...take a nap?
  • ...comb your hair?
  • ...whistle Dixie?

Or would you...

The waffling ends.

I cofounded GoalSumo.com because I was tired of using a paper-and-pen "to do" list for my 1/5/10 strategy. I founded the Fastlane Forum because I was tired of visiting other business forums littered with scammers and promoters. I write Fastlane books because I'm tired of people being misled down a path of financial mediocrity where financial freedom awaits them in a wheelchair and diaper.

The Purpose

Cold call.
Ring doorbells.
Learn code.

zone.

View attachment 57013

1. Identify the Problem:

2. Define Your Purpose:

3. Marry the Two:
Once you have a problem and a purpose, let them focus your actions. Use the problem to create a roadmap of goals and milestones. Join GoalSumo and map out a plan or download a 1/5/10 Planner. Let your purpose infuse those goals with meaning and significance.

4. Stay Adaptable:

5. Adjust Expectations

6. Celebrate Progress:

3. Repeat.
  4. Progress.
  5. Live well.

Or don't.

Best wishes,
MJ DeMarco
That's the truth, I like the usage of symbols both in the text and the image, I feel like it's a great way to compact the information.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 25% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.